Don't look too deep

The facility is clean and well maintained - inside and out. And then there's everything else. Limited activities leave the residents bored and disengaged. As stated by another reviewer, residents without memory issues are not going to be stimulated and will soon be depressed. The sporadic arts & crafts sessions are well intentioned but would be better suited to kindergarteners. The offerings in the dining room are limited, served lukewarm at best, and let's just say that it's fortunate no one living there is in a rush to get anywhere because service is very slow. This is really a shame since mealtime is something which most assisted living residents look forward to.

There's an add-on charge for everything so make sure you know what you'll need (laundry service, medication administration, mealtime assistance, hair & nail salon, etc.) and check the prices before you sign up. Many residents have personal aides that help them so if those families felt it to be necessary, that tells you something about the availability and/or cost of staff assistance.

Finally, it becomes more and more difficult to make friends as we get older. I don't think most new residents really want to be in an assisted living facility so it's incumbent upon the staff to engage them early and create a sense of belonging. That needs to involve more than remembering their name and saying hello when they walk by. The elderly have their cliques too and without more activities to pull residents together, the place feels more like a mid-range hotel and less like home.

Staff is not very helpful and have been know to be sneaky and untrustworthy. I would highly recommend not putting a partner at this facility.

The Maplewood Staff Cares But Dining Causes Frustration

Maplewood is a lovely place with a caring staff. The main problem is the dining room food and service. It is billed as "farm to table" and it is not. The food is not great. The service in the dining room, though friendly and kind, is unbearably slow. Sometimes waiting half an hour for food. Everyone at a table getting served at different times. Causes residents unneeded stress and irritation. Non-dining room management and staff should sit in the dining room to facilitate conversation (which elderly people find difficult) and to experience the frustration the residents have to go through three times a day.

The activities are lacking in the sense that there are things to go to (movies in the living room, music performances, trips out to dinner), but there is nothing to do. No arts and crafts, workshops, certainly nothing that would be appealing to intelligent elderly people. The residents who do not need memory care have no artistic or creative outlets.

There is no gym or exercise or therapy space.

Thoroughly enjoyed meeting Christine and some of the other employees at Maplewood. A beautiful, well run residence. This was my first visit to an assisted living residence and I was very impressed.

Maplewood at Darien is a beautiful, safe, friendly senior living facility with many lovely caring employees. All of this comes with a price which thankfully my parents can afford.
When we were sold on Maplewood at Darien, their pitch was that Residents would be engaged in fulfilling activities And if they were not offering what the Residents wanted, they would accommodate as best they could. That does not happen. Those Residents with the greatest level of need get the most attention and the activities seem to be geared for them.
There is not a communication vehicle in place for family members to receive updates about their parent(s) or general information about what's going on at Maplewood. This feels like a missed opportunity to improve relationships with the adult children who are the caregivers.

Andrea Ellen Keigan

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your thoughts and experiences. It's so important to us to hear from families so we can improve the customer experience as we move forward. I would like the opportunity to speak with you directly to hear in more detail about your experience, in order for us to understand better and improve ourselves. My email is [removed] and phone is 203/557/4777. Please feel free to reach out to me, at your earliest convenience. I look forward to the opportunity. Best regards, Andrea S. Ellen, Vice President, Maplewood Senior Living

Maplewood is beautiful and immaculate. The staff is very friendly and very caring. My only complaint is that my mother gets bored because there isn't enough going on there to keep her occupied.

Skill behind the marketing

My father's transition to the Maplewood memory care unit required a very high skill level. I was initially very skeptical that he would ever be able to live in a community, but the staff demonstrated consistently that they were up to the challenge. This is not to say that there were not bumps in the road, but I finally feel that some one other than me is capable of handling this cantankerous man with dementia.

Andrea Ellen Keigan

We are so happy you shared your experience with others. Although we know this is such a challenging disease, we are always here to help families through the difficult times. Please reach out to us continually to communicate your feedback, both good and what we can do better. We will always be here for both our residents and their families during this difficult journey.

Staff great, management not so much.

After their evaluation of my father who has Alzheimer's disease and their assurances that they could handle him they in fact could not cope with him. He fell and had to go to the hospital within 24 hours of moving there. Within one week they called and said we would have to provide 24 hour full time aides at our expense in addition to paying them. We brought him back home instead. We discovered that they had been administering his medications improperly. It then took them two months and countless letters and phone calls from us to return my mothers money. What finally seems to have broken the money loose was a call from the state regulator.

I do have to commend the in the trenches staff they seem engaged and caring, but management seems to be all about making as much money as possible.

Update: I am happy to report that after seeing this review I was contacted by Andrea [removed] (VP Marketing and Communications at Maplewood) who understands the value of doing the right thing. She felt that due to the aggravation that my mother went through she should get all of her money back and then made it happen. My hat is off to her, at least one member of the senior management team walks the talk.

Not perfect, but good

Maplewood's been great, we've had no complaints and it's working out well, it's a great service. There's nothing they could really improve on, 5 would just be too much and a 4 is fitting.

Andrea Ellen Keigan

So glad to hear from you. Thank you for your feedback.

Maplewood at Darien is an assisted living and memory care residents for the most discerning seniors. Exquisite interior desgin, an enthusiastic and experienced staff of associates, engaging social and cultural enrichments opportunities, and expertly prepared meals featuring farm-fresh ingredients combine to create an exclusively unique and vibrant community.

Maplewood at Darien provides a healthy, invigorating environment for all seniors as well as specialized assistance for those in need of memory care.

We're conveniently located close to downtown Darien, just minutes to the train station, and the well known shops and dining establishments.

Maplewood is not a part of a national chain of senior living residences -- we're a unique part of the local community. We offer residents and families the very best of servcies and amenities --from the stunning, light-drenched two-story atrium to the ultra-attentive concierge service and four-star spa. Thoughtfully laid out apartments designed specifically for older adults are carefully appointed with granite countertops, private bathrooms and state of the art safety features. Common areas, like our pub, are perfect for all kinds of family gatherings.

Maplewood offers studio deluxe and one bedroom apartments. We are located on 1.3 acres of beautifully landscaped groundds with walking paths, water features and more. Our licensed nurses are on-site 24/7 for extra comfort measures. Programs include traditional assisted living services, as well as two neighborhoods for those with memory loss.