Maplewood at Strawberry Hill - East Norwalk, CT

Friendly Tour

We toured this community for my mother in law, and her needs. The tour went well overall. Everyone was kind to my family, and I. However this was not the right fit for her, and her needs. We did find another community that suited her needs better.

Lovely place. Thought the pricing was nickel and dime. You never know what you bill would be from month to month. Only availability was in memory care which was not our goal.

Andrea Ellen Keigan

Thank you for taking the time to review us online. We are pleased you had a positive experience at Maplewood at Strawberry Hill. We are happy to explain the charges you have on your invoice. Please stop by and meet with Thamara or Joe at any time for a detailed explanation. It is not our intent to ever complicate or surprise regarding our billing. Thank you again for your review.

Creating Family Values in Memory Care

This is a new community that is updated, secure, and big. When I first came for a tour they were friendly and welcoming and I felt like they wanted to create a family environment and interaction. My mom is in the Memory Care and she has the whole 2nd level to walk around and not feel like she is locked up. She has settled in and every single staff from PT to OT has welcomed her. They have helped improved her mobility and nutrition. She eats as much as she want or can without waiting long. She loves the musical interaction, the guitarist comes daily.

Andrea Ellen Keigan

Thank you for taking the time to review our community online. It's so important for other prospective families to read reviews from other families. Thank you for your kind words. Please remember to always stay in close contact with Exec Director Thamara and Program Director Liz to provide us with continual feedback, suggestions and/or concerns moving forward. Again, thank you for your input. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy holiday season.

Five Star Throughout

After spending several months researching assisted living companies, my family choose Maplewood at Strawberry Hill as the next home for my aging father. It's not that competitors were bad (several were quite good), rather none had the excellence throughout of Maplewood. While many assisted living facilities have immediate availability, there's a reason Strawberry Hill is full with a wait list. They simply are the best assisted living option in Fairfield County.

From professional, personalized caregiving to high quality dining, cleanliness and friendly staff, Maplewood is five star throughout. My father is happy and noticeably improved cognitively and physically since moving into Strawberry Hill. As for myself and the rest of our family, we're relieved and comforted we made the best assisted living choice possible for Dad. When comparing Maplewood to competitors be sure to ask about intermediate level memory care.

To my knowledge, no area competitor offers the quality of cognitive care among general assisted living residents that Maplewood does. This is extremely important! Many facilities offer dedicated, secure memory floors for residents with severe dementia and/or Alzheimer's. Maplewood offers this too but also offers intermediate level memory care, allowing your loved one to remain among the general assisted living population where they'll be much happier and interactive for as long as possible before moving onto a dedicated memory care floor.

I do not hesitate in recommending Maplewood at Strawberry Hill in any way, shape or form. They are the best and represent excellent value when comparing apples to apples with competitors.

Andrea Ellen Keigan

We are pleased you are so happy with Maplewood at Strawberry Hill. Thank you for your review and taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Please continue to speak with Thamara at the community, including those times you have suggestions. Thank you.

Peace and comfort at Maplewood

As we begin 2016, we are so grateful that our mother is still with us and so profoundly grateful to you and to Maplewood. Every day my family and I think about what an amazing thing you did for us. She is so comfortable and comforted at Maplewood. Being at Maplewood has given us more time with my mom, and has helped us care for my father as well.

One of the few things she can truly enjoy is food and she responds to and loves the food. The staff works so hard to create meals she can eat and enjoy, and the fact that I can nip in there and get her treats and tea etc anytime is so hugely helpful for us.

The nursing and medical staff has been the biggest and most important thing for her and for us. They are just incredible. Knowing each one of them and their deep commitment to their profession has been an endless comfort to us. All that mindful and loving nursing care is helping us have this extra time with her - it means the world to us. They pay such close attention and are so responsive and so professional. Every one of them has helped keep my mother with us, and helps keep her as peaceful and comfortable as she can be. We feel very lucky to have your nurses overseeing her care.

Thank you for being there and doing what you do!

Andrea Ellen Keigan

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Maplewood at Strawberry Hill. This provides so much help for other families looking for solutions for their own family members. We are pleased to know of your positive experiences with Maplewood at Strawberry Hill and hope they continue in the future. Please keep in close contact with our management team to attend to your needs and that of those of your mother. Let us know what else we can do to further improve her experience.

Perfect for my father

My father is 91 years old with vascular dementia. Maplewood at Strawberry Hill is big enough to have everything he needs but small enough to be personal. The staff is extremely friendly and on a first name basis with everybody. They understand the needs of each individual resident and also the needs of the families of the residents.

Andrea Ellen Keigan

Hello Rick, Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We have a personal passion for those living with dementia. We are happy you are pleased with the care at Maplewood at Strawberry Hill. Please continue to be in touch with us -- in person too -- regarding your experiences at Maplewood at Strawberry Hill. We always strive for providing the very best in care and services to our residents and their families. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences with other families looking for their loved ones.

Thankful....

This community sets the bar in excellence. My husband and I made a difficult decision earlier in the year to move my mother from another assisted living. My mother was declining and I was terrified if the move would contribute to her fast progressing decline. Almost a year later I could not be more thankful for each person at Maplewood Strawberry Hill. My mother is now walking with little assistance, gained 15 lbs with a now proper nutritional intake, and has made so many friendships. Christina (runs events/activities) really cares for my Mom and helps her remain active. Nursing (Shantel & Jenn) are always available to answer any questions. Amy (director of facility) is readily available for me and strives to satisfy. From the minute i visited this facility with Leslie- I knew it was the best place. Almost 1 year later, I still feel this way. Thank you Maplewood for giving me my mother back.

Andrea Ellen Keigan

We're so pleased you shared your own personal experience with other prospective families, as well as with us. Thank you for your feedback. Our priority is always to provide the very best care and services to our residents. Please continue to communicate with those you mentioned above about your mother's future experiences. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback.

Concerned About Current Status

Just reading this last review and can't help but chime in that there are issues here in turnover. They are losing good people, especially on the second floor. They just lost the person who ran the dementia unit this week, and others have recently left as well. The DIrector there is a major issue to all I have spoken to. Make sure you look very carefully before proceeding. We are worried but not directly impacted yet.

Andrea Ellen Keigan

Thank you for response. Maplewood prides itself on being a choice provider for senior living care and services and your note is of concern and we take it very seriously. Our dedicated team of associates, from management to care staff, are the key for providing the very best experience for resident and family satisfaction. You are encouraged to call our home office at [removed] and ask for either Kelly M. or Andrea E. to discuss any comments or concerns you have. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hearing from you.

Happy with care, little bit worried on a few things

We have our mom there on the first floor. We have been very happy with the day by day care of the staff there. It is a very clean facility. Our mother has been there for several years and she seems to be doing well. I would say our one worry is the cost and the management there. It is expensive and they always are trying to raise the bill. The staff seem happy, but we have heard a number of complaints of the director of the center and the tone she sets. Just some words of caution I guess...

Andrea Ellen Keigan

Thank you for your feedback. Our number one goal is always to take the very best care of our residents, as well as provide support to their families and loved ones. We make nominal adjustments each year, to coincide with the cost of living, to allow for increases for our associates, as well as increases in utilities, etc. If you are having concerns regarding your bill, please feel free to reach out to the community business office manager, or the home office if you are more comfortable. If you have concerns regarding any administrative staff, please feel free to also contact Andrea or Kelly at the corporate office in Westport. We can be reached at 203/557/4777. We take comments all very seriously and look forward to hearing from you so we are able to resolve any concerns you may have. Thank you for your feedback.

We are so grateful to Maplewood.

We are so grateful to Maplewood. I don't know what we would have done without them. They do so good with communication with all of our services. They really gave us a home here. They have a beautiful outdoor patio space. They have a really high level of care, but it doesn't feel like a nursing home.

Andrea Ellen Keigan

Thank you for your recent review. We are happy you are so pleased with our staff and services at our Strawberry Hill (East Norwalk) location. We strive to provide our residents and their families with the very best experience possible each and every day. Please continue to speak with our management team at this community to provide them with your thoughts on your experiences in the future. Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I looked at several facilities and this is the best one

I looked at several facilities and this is the best one. We have not been disappointed. I can't rate the activities because my mother has not participated in them. Overall, we are very pleased with this facility!

In the top three.

This was one of the three communities I had narrowed it down to. They were all very comparable, and really came down to personality. This community was bigger than the one we chose, we thought it might have been a little too confusing.

Brand new, super clean, ton...

Brand new, super clean, tons of natural light. Feels expansive, but is actually a fairly small community. Neighborhood is a little sketchy, but it's a renovated school so there's a park/playground adjacent to the property, which makes it feel very open. We toured primarily the memory care unit, and staff there seemed very bonded with residents - everyone from housekeeping to kitchen staff to resident greeted each other by first name, with a welcoming smile, affectionate touch or hug. Multiple activities - some group, some one-on-one, all with plenty of interaction on various levels - staff adjust the calendar for residents with a particular hobby or interest - and residents provide monthly input on everything, from food to activities to general issues. Seems like a place where residents feel heard, and respected, and the staff value allowing them to feel a sense of independence. They also have a 'brain gym' - setup of computers where residents can play games that are specifically engineered for those with cognitive impairment, send/receive basic emails, etc. Farm-to-table meals served restaurant style in an elegant dining area - there's also a private dining room that residents can enjoy with their families for visits. Overall, I found the facility tremendously clean and welcoming, with residents who were highly engaged at all levels. The only drawback for me is the location, as I would prefer something a bit closer - though it is convenient for my brother. Definitely a contender. My #3 choice so far.

Andrea Ellen Keigan

So glad you had a wonderful visit. We want to be better than your #3 choice. Please visit us again and let us answer any questions or concerns you may have. Thanks for your interest and for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback.

No question about it the care is definitely there.

They are very clean and they are friendly. The food is good but I find when I go to see my dad it is a little sparse, and even some of the other residents complain, that there is not quite enough. I find that it is very bland, maybe it's fine for the other people there but I don't think it's enough for him. I don't think it has anything to do with the staff or the cook, maybe it's just the way the food needs to be managed. I think they serve him very nice, and they are friendly and always try to help them. They do have a lot of activities. I wish dad would participate more. They are very plush and new, colorful and is very well designed with everything on one floor. No question about it, the care is definitely there!

Decor Is Impractical for Residents

The thing that strikes me is the decor and furnishings and even the silverware and glassware are really beautiful but it seems like they are for the benefit of the family members and not the benefit of the residents. They have wine glasses on the table and they should realize that the residents are physically impaired. The chairs are very heavy and the couches are very low. They are not designed for the residents, they are for the family feeling good about how nice it looks. It is gorgeous, but it may speak to their philosophy of just trying to impress the family members. My brother goes to the community fairly often, and he seems to be OK with the care that mom is receiving.

Andrea Ellen Keigan

We value your opinion and appreciate your feeback. We are committed to providing the very best care and services available to all of our residents and families and are happy to learn you are pleased with the care for your mother. If you have any specific concerns, please feel free to contact us and a member of our senior management will be in touch with you. Thank you again for your feedback. Our email is: [removed]

Great Staff, More Off-Site Activites Would Be Nice

My mom has been there about a week. Judging against other places I've seen, it's top notch.

The activities is my least favorite thing right now. Looking at the calender it doesn't appear that there are a ton of things that are off-site, where they go places. The community is new so maybe that will come later. I think they could up the quantity of the activities.

It's expensive but everything is so much money it's just hard to tell. The staff tries really hard. The food is really good. So far, I think they're doing an excellent job. The people there are really great and not just the care givers or the people you would expect it from. Everyone fromt he kitchen staff to the cleaning staff is great.

Nice community but very expensive

The staff here is really good and very nice. The community is very clean and well kept. The only real issue I have with it is that it is so expensive, it seems like it could cost less for what they offer. The location is very convenient for our family which was a main factor when deciding.

Maplewood at Strawberry Hill is the sparkling new assisted living and memory care community conveniently located in a friendly neighborhood close to the Norwalk-Westport line, just minutes to major highways and trains. We are part of an innovative, locally based company and not part of a large “chain.” As such, we are uniquely able to be an integral part of our local community, providing a continuation of experiences and lifestyle that our residents know, deserve and expect. Our savory menus are created with a “farm to table” approach, with fresh ingredients provided by local area farms. We believe that offering good nutritional options is an important component of providing exceptional care.

Our care program features assisted living, embodied through Vistas ™ for those seniors in need of some support in their everyday lives with things such as dressing and bathing. For residents showing early signs of memory loss, our Tides ™ program provides a safe environment in which to live a life of supported independence. Our Currents ™ program uses an emotion –based philosophy that helps Maplewood residents with more advanced memory loss continue to enjoy life to their maximum potential. Our affiliation and involvement with the Connecticut Alzheimer’s Association ensure that our memory care program keeps up with the latest advances.

Residents may choose a studio or 1-bedroom apartment, thoughtfully laid out and beautifully appointed with modern kitchenettes with granite countertops, private bathrooms and state of the art safety features. Our residents and families will enjoy our welcoming sun-filled lobby and living room, al fresco dining on our interior outdoor patio, spa and beauty salon, the pub, library, growing vegetables in our community garden, and three meals served daily in our grand dining room with views of the couryard.

For added peace of mind, Maplewood offers on-site nursing, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We also offer on-site physician services for your convenience.