Don't Go There!

This facility started out as a Senior Living Community but has now turned into an apartment rental building. There are no activities, care services, the building is poorly maintained, and the residents are no longer 55 or older; some with very small children and there has been a notice of drug use. It was bought by an individual a year or two ago and had been turned into a low-income housing facility which leaves the seniors looking for different places to live. Residents who have been there for many years are leaving because of the condition of the building, the services which the website says it provides but does not provide, the type of residents which are residing in the units, and the lack of security. I visited there today and didn't have to "buzz" into an apartment but just walked right into the building, NO SECURITY! Looking to get my mother OUT!

great experience

The facility is a great place to be a resident at. The staff is very friendly and caring. We have had a great experience at this facility. They offer a lot of amenities at this facility.

Great place

This facility is a wonderful place and we love it. The staff is friendly and caring and the residents seem so happy. We couldn't ask for a better place.

I have lived at Luther Haven for 6 years. I was a nursing consultant before retirement and got into almost all the senior living facilities in several counties. Luther Haven was, by far, the best value. I walked through the front door into this huge, warm Commons area and was greeted by warm, friendly staff and I was sold. Then seeing and hearing all the amenities, I couldn't believe I could afford living here. Besides what is listed here, there is a coffee bar with coffee for 25 cents, a beer bar with 24 hr. beer on tape for 50 cents, a big video library, a large collection of books, a little general store with all the basics and then some, a sweeping staircase to the lower level, fireplaces on both Commons areas. The lower Commons is large enough for big parties. There have been several weddings with the bride descending the staircase and married in front of the fire place. I have an Acadamy Award party here and the food service caters it for a very reasonable fee including set up and clean up. You can do your own laundry or have the staff do it for a small fee. They fold it and even will put it in the drawers. The maintenance staff is your easily available handyman for all sorts of things. I had them put together my new computer desk for a small fee. A seamstress visits once a week for any mending or altering you need done and she also will take dry cleaning. Last I heard, dry cleaning was $2.50 for almost everything, including coats. A doctor has office hours here in the Wellness Center once a week. He is my regular doctor and I love him. There is an audiologist that visits each month, a podiatrist each month, a toe nail care clinic and simple manicures weekly. The beauty shop is a busy place with prices below standard shop prices. The 2 story Christmas tree next to the fire place is beautiful. There is a baby grand piano in the Commons area for anyone to play and there are often sing-a-longs or just listening to our activity director play. There are exercise classes every morning: yoga, zumba, line dancing, yoga breathing, tai chi, strengthening exercises, balance exercises and water aerobics. The entire morning is filled with 1/2 hour classes geared for every level of ability. The activity director is a art therapist with a Masters in counseling. There is book club, poetry club, Bible study, and a variety of groups. There is a connection with a local church that will broadcast their service in the chapel. I have a mobility scooter and I scoot down the street to Target, Dollar Store, Menard's and other shopping spots.
This area of town was considered by some to have a bad reputation but IT IS NOT true. I have followed the police reports for 6 years and it is one of the safest areas in the city. I have no fear going out and scooting around the neighborhood. There are other senior buildings and handicap access in the areas and because of it our district policy the area heavily. There is also a large housing complex that has their own security policing the area. I feel much safer here than when I lived on the upper east side. There is also plans for more local business and expansions of large businesses into the area. It is a changing neighborhood for even better. The only thing that I wish we had in the area was a great pizza delivery.
I love living here. Luther Haven motto of "where friends become family" is very true. I couldn't recommend anyplace better.

Having a beautiful place to live surrounded by people who care is only part of the story at Luther Haven. With so many fun things to enjoy with folks that live where you live is critical to a happy lifestyle. Activities are plentiful here at Luther Haven to keep you busy, active and healthy. In just a few minutes of strolling the grounds and facilities, you’ll notice that our surroundings offer a place where you’d be proud to live and enjoy. Large open areas with beautiful furnishings and people that truly care about your happiness makes Luther Haven the home you’re looking for.