Kelso Pines Retirement Home - Owen Sound, ON

Room Type Monthly Range* (CAD)

Due Diligence

My loved one, who was in the early stages of dementia, was in this facility a number of years ago, and it was a terrible experience. In general, the staff was unqualified and/or inadequately trained to deal with elderly persons with dementia. Anti-psychotic drugs were used to "manage" my loved one. The food was not appropriate for the clientele. On one occasion, I witnessed strips of bacon served and no staff available to cut it for the clients. The cleanliness of the facility was abysmal. Frequently, I would clean my loved one's room and remove buckets of dirty water from the floors. My loved one fell during the night, and was found on the floor of another client's room. My loved one was taken back to bed rather than being assessed by trained medical personnel. In the morning, my loved one was taken by ambulance to the hospital where it was determined s/he had a broken hip and was very ill with pneumonia. Unfortunately, my loved one passed away about 10 days later in the hospital. If you are considering this facility for your loved one, ensure the concerns raised have been rectified. If your loved one is currently in this facility, closely monitor the situation.

I wasn't very impressed

The meals were terrible. One day they served them a hot dog, and one day a slice of pizza. They have a very large Alzheimer's area in there. It's called a retirement home but with the smell it was more of a nursing home. We also didn't like that there wasn't a shower in his room. They didn't even paint the room, there were holes in the walls.

Needs some TLC

This is our first experiance with a retirement home. The building is very old and renovations are taking place but overall the building needs a lot of work. I found my Dads room wasn't cleaned properly, dirty bathroom, floors not cleaned. The smell in that facility is enough to make you leave it seems more like a nursing home than a retirement home. My Dad complained that the food wasn't hot, they have students cooking on the weekend, but i wonder how much supervision they are getting? Im not sure about the activities they have a calendar posted for the month. When you talk to others in the community everyone says that since the building was sold the care has gone down drastically, how unfortunate

Kelso Pines Review

Staff were friendly, quite a young staff including nurses which did concern us a little bit but had no problems. Rooms were a good size and bright with large bay windows. Food was just ok - not great not bad. Two concerns: common area hallways were not very clean. Hallways are carpeted, contained odours that seemed to be long standing and were tracked with dirt. Dirt is understandable given the amount of foot traffic but would be much easer to keep clean (and fresh smelling) if carpets were gone & replaced with laminate of some kind). Or maybe it was just time for the carpets to be replaced. Other concern was that the entrance doors were supposed to be locked after 8 but never seemed to be.