John Joseph Place - Owen Sound, ON

Room Type Monthly Range* (CAD)

Not what I thought I signed up for

I had a beautiful sunny room picked out at Hannah Walker Place, but I didn't get to stay there. I was sent to the John Joseph Place, and it was awful. I was down in the basement and it was cold and noisy and smelly from the gas fumes, and nobody was there for the exercises I was supposed to do. The food was terrible. Luckily I was only there for one month, but I wouldn't want to go there full time. The girl who does the books there, [Removed], took me every day I that I needed to go to physio and that was very nice, and she was very friendly.

John Joseph Place is a home-like environment for well, independent seniors, and has a secure, 13 bed unit for dementias. Staff have been there for many years. Bathing is three times each week. Meals are prepared on-site, fresh food, and served in the appropriate dining room, or on a tray if a resident wishes. Furnishings are completely charming. I will suggest this residence for my aunt. The secure unit has a lovely, secure balcony for warmer weather outdoor experience. I rate John Joseph Place at 3 1/2 stars. Great, homey, caring, friendly, but very old building.