Heatherwilde Assisted Living - Pflugerville, TX

Beware of the fine print

My mom has a bit of dementia and we needed to find her a place to live where she would have 24-hour care. My sister and my mom both toured the place and liked it, at least on the surface. We set a move in date and was told we needed to sign an agreement which is understandable. It was not the easiest process to get them to send it to me ahead of time so I could review it, but they finally relented. It was a 15-20 page document that they expected you would sign on site during a meeting without being given the proper time to read it. Upon review I noticed there was a page of behaviors that would result in the resident being asked to leave, unfortunately, almost all are associated with dementia. When questioning the powers that be about this, I was told that a large percentage of the residents did in fact have some sort of memory deficiency. My concern was that we would pay the hefty community fee and my mom (who they met, interviewed and tested) would be tossed out for one of the noted infractions. I was told I should trust them as that was not how they conducted business. However, less than a month later, they either wanted us to remove our mother or pay for someone to watch her during the time the doors are unlocked and unwatched. Additionally, there was an altercation with her roommate (a woman my sister specifically requested she not be roomed with as it was obvious on the tour they would not be compatible) where the woman threw something at her. The staff refused to find her a different room. My suggestion to anyone considering moving their loved one here, think long and hard and truly read the agreement.

Susan LaBree

It is unfortunate that things did not work out with your love one at Heatherwilde. We certainly do our best to ensure that residents are appropriately placed in our community. However when a resident becomes a danger to themselves, we do find it necessary to discharge the resident to a more appropriate care setting.

[Removed] (male) was very knowledgeable about all that goes into choosing place for Mom & answered many of the questions I hadn't even thought of. I liked the smaller more intimate atmosphere, the layout of the rooms. Everything looked clean & well maintained, smelled fine.

Susan LaBree

Thank you for your feedback regarding our sales director. We always strive to be a resource for families navigating the long term care world. If we can be of assistance to you again, please let us know.

It Was A Hard Time

We had an awful experience and I would not recommend anyone to this place. They take advantage of you and don't really care for the residents. They say they care for dementia but their contract says they can kick one out if they show signs of dementia. The executive and director are not good. It was sneaky, underhanded, and they aren't cooperative. They don't take anything into consideration even when you give them 30 days notice to make the adjustment, they just say it will be fine. However all the residents are nice.

Susan LaBree

If you care at all for your loved one, DO NOT let them live at Heatherwilde Assisted Living

They want you to sign a 50-page lease agreement on the spot without reading it first. Tons of loopholes in it to cover them. They say they accept residents with Dementia yet every symptom that is common with Dementia is an excuse for them to legally kick out your loved one and keep the $1500 community fee they require up front. They will smile as they lie to your face about everything and have absolutely no sympathy/empathy for the residents. They only care about the money and will not take any of your concerns into consideration. They prefer that the residents be so medicated that they don't do anything. Do not trust anything that the Executive Director tells you!!!! This place will suck the life out of your loved one and they will be miserable here. There are so many other places out there. Please find a better place for your loved one than this uncaring, cold, wretched place

Susan LaBree

[Removed] was on vacation, but man [Removed] was very helpful in giving me tour and info. on lady to call for Veteran's financial help. It was a little small for my parents and their dog, but nice.

Susan LaBree

Though we were not the right fit for your parents, I am happy that we were able to be a valuable resource of other information for you. It is always our goal to assist where we can, even if you are not selecting our community.

An ok community!!!

This is an older community that has a nursing home feel. I felt my husband was to independent to stay at this community. The staff we met was nice and the community seemed clean.

Susan LaBree

I am sorry to hear that our home-like environment felt more like a nursing home to you. We hope you were able to find a community that was better suited for your husband.

We will see how things work out

Things are going okay. My Mom is kind of having a hard time with her roommate right now. I am going to give the administrative staff a little time to see how they handle the situation, so we will see how things work out.

They do a Great job

They did a great job with my loved one and making him feel welcomed when he arrived at the facility. They go out of their way to make sure he is in the activities and participating because it has been a challenging transition.

Nice place overall

Overall I think they do an excellent job at Heatherwilde Assisted Living. The facility is clean and well kept, and the people who work here seem friendly and professional for the most part. I've had a few issues with their medication service, which isn't as reliable as I'd hoped, but generally it has been a good experience.

This place is great for service, personnel, and value. Very low turnover of staff. I would pay more for better food but decent enough.
Lot of activities and outside entertainment comes in.

Nice-sized rooms, landscaping around patios a bit sparse. The smaller facility size felt friendly and comfortable.

Excellent Care - Homelike atmosphere

Our Mom has lived in Heatherwilde for a little over two years. She requires additional care as a result of dementia. The staff is very attentive and caring. Her room is always neat and clean. We chose this facility because of the homelike atmosphere - we felt that Mom would be more comfortable there. After return from a recent hospital stay, Mom said that she was glad to be back 'home'. She is very happy at Heatherwilde and we truly feel in our hearts that we made the right choice for her.

Beautiful, but a little big, and a little expensive.

This was one of the communities that we considered when we were looking into options. It was a really nice place, and the staff was friendly. It was a little too expensive, and just a little too big, for what we needed.

I think it's a good all around facility.

I don't see a whole lot of staff members when I am there, and I wonder where they are all at. More staff or more staff presence would be nice, they should be obvious when the residents are in a room. I liked the location, and I liked the staff when I met them, and I think it's a good all around facility.

Susan was not at the facili...

Susan was not at the facility, rather a med asst who seemed surprised we were there. I had re-scheduled with Susan for 4pm, which is when meds are being dispensed, so we were asked to wait for the med asst to finish dispensing meds. Residents seemed disoriented and weren't able to have a coherent conversation with dad. We did not stay for the tour. Pfluggerville too far from Austin.

great experience and prompt assistanc...

great experience and prompt assistance. I would use again and recommend to others

Very friendly community

They've really been great so far. They do an excellent job of encouraging everyone to participate in activities, have meals together, and just generally promote community spirit. Both the employees and the residents are all very friendly. They also have a strong Christian community feel, and have church volunteers visit often. The facility itself is very nice looking, and they always keep it clean and well kept.

My dads new home

Heatherwilde is a great place, it is clean and home like. The residents and staff are friendly and always smiling. They encourage and assist my dad in all his tasks and is making small transitions into participating in activities. He is making new friends and enjoys their company. His room is always clean and bed is always made. Glad I made this move for him.

Unacceptable!

My mom had a stroke and they waited 5 hours to notify me and when I got there they hadn't even called for help yet. They waited for me to get there and that's unacceptable. I would not recommend them.