Live at Harvard Square Retirement Community in Southeast Denver, and you will experience service beyond the expected. Way beyond in fact. Our friendly, experienced staff really goes the extra mile (or two, or twenty) whenever needed. You’ll find examples of this in every area. So not only do we offer fresh, seasonal dining, we cater each entrée to your liking. Go ahead, challenge the chef to make your grandma’s favorite chicken noodle soup recipe, or your mom’s Irish stew. You may just find a warm childhood memory in each bite, and also that it becomes a regular menu item!

Join in some of the engaging programs offered. Or suggest your own group outing for the activities calendar. We embrace new ideas and make sure to have something fun for everyone. And speaking of fun, our local attractions offer tons of outdoor fun. We are close to Babi Yar Park, Cherry Creek Resevoir, and the Utah Park Rec Center. Or take in some indoor fun at the movie theatre, shopping center, or take visitors to the historic Clocktower Building nearby.

For your healthcare needs, we are conveniently located near Kaiser Permanente and the Aurora South Medical Center. We also offer a full menu of assisted living services on site, delivered with care and finesse, whether you need just a little help, or a lot. Talk to us today about how we can help you start Living Better Than Ever. We can’t wait to meet you!

Community Features
•Elegant, four-story building located in a quiet residential setting
•Spacious, beautifully landscaped grounds
•Off-street parking
•Laundry facilities
•Billiards
•Large outdoor deck
•Weekly housekeeping and linen service
•Full calendar of fun and engaging programs, events and activities
•Full-service salon

Apartment Features
•Spacious studio, one- and two-bedroom apartments
•Bathrooms designed for safety and comfort
•Emergency communication system
•Wall-to-wall carpeting and window coverings
•Individually controlled heating and air-conditioning
•Comprehensive fire safety system
•Expanded cable television

City Info

Denver, CO is a city bustling with activities and excitement. The community is made of people from all walks of life. Seniors will find that there's truly something for everyone.
- Walkability Score: The area walkability score is 62, which indicates that it's somewhat walkable for seniors.
- Bike Score: The bike score for the area is 78. This indicates that it's extremely bike-friendly for seniors.
- The median age in the area is 35.
- Duplicate-Dayton Place is the only other listed retirement community in the immediate area.
- Temperatures: Average temperatures in Denver range from 88 degrees to 16 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Veterans Facilities: The Department of Veterans Affairs and the Veterans Health Administration are both in the immediate area.

Transportation

Denver is an active city that supports a variety of transportation options:
- Regional Transportation District: A comprehensive rail and bus system runs throughout the metro area. Discount fares are available for seniors.
- Taxis: Denver residents have several taxi companies to choose from, including Metro Taxi, Yellow Cab, and Freedom Cab.
- Seniors can utilize Uber or Lyft by simply downloading the respective apps.
- Ride shares are another option. These can be coordinated on Craigslist or via eRideShare.

Health and Safety

Denver cares about the health and safety of its seniors. Accordingly, there are many medical facilities in the area:
- Hospitals: The area has many hospitals to choose from, including Porter Adventist Hospital, Swedish Medical Center, The Medical Center of Aurora, and Denver Health Medical Center.
- Crime Rates: Crime risk is 4 percent higher in Denver than the national average.

Sports and Leisure

Seniors will find it easy to live an active lifestyle with all the sports and leisure options that Denver offers.
- Golf Courses: There are several area golf courses, including Cherry Creek Country Club, Kennedy Golf Course, CommonGround Golf Course, and Wellshire Golf Course.
- Tennis Courts: Seniors can enjoy a brisk match at one of the many public tennis courts, including Gates Tennis Center, Utah Park Tennis, All Seasons Tennis Courts, and Sundance Hills Swim & Tennis Club.
- Gyms: The immediate area offers a number of senior-friendly gyms partnered with Silver Sneakers. These include Aurora Center for Active Adults, YouFit, Aspire Fitness, Aurora Prestige Fitness, Curves, and 24 Hour Fitness.
- Parks: Denver Parks & Recreation offers parks that cover almost 20,000 acres in the area. Seniors can also participate in some of the many activities and classes offered.

Shopping and Entertainment

With all the shopping and entertainment available in the city, seniors will find plenty of convenient ways to keep boredom at bay.
- Grocery Stores: Grocery stores in the area include Walmart Supercenter, Whole Foods Market, King Soopers, and a number of specialty international markets.
- Malls: Seniors have plenty of shopping options. There are more than 10 shopping malls in the area, including 16th Street Mall, Denver Pavilions, Aurora Mall, and Cherry Creek Shopping Center.
- Restaurants: Denver offers plenty of dining options to suit every taste. Eateries of almost every nationality are available, and local gems are everywhere. There are also several standard chain restaurants, such as Golden Corral and The Old Spaghetti Factory.
- Movie Theatres: Seniors eager for the cinema have a large variety of movie theaters to choose from, including AMC, Century, and Movie Tavern.
- Libraries: Five area libraries ensure that seniors will always be able to find the book they're looking for. Library options include Aurora Public Library, Chambers Plaza Library, Friends of Aurora Public Library, Martin Luther King Jr Library, and Mission Viejo Branch Library.
- Attractions: Seniors can fill their days enjoying Denver-area attractions such as Denver Union Station, Denver Railroads, Denver Art Museum, the U.S. Mint, the Denver Zoo, and so much more.

Religious Facilities

Denver is home to many religious facilities, providing options for nearly every faith and denomination. Seniors are sure to find a community to support their beliefs.
- Catholic: Catholic churches include Queen of Peace Catholic Church and Risen Christ Catholic Parish.
- Christian: Christian churches include Colorado Christian Fellowship and Christ Community Church.
- Muslim: Muslim mosques include Northeast Denver Islamic Center and Colorado Muslim Society.

Very Nice Community

I toured Harvard Square and I really liked it. I thought the community was nice, and the people were sweet. However, I just did not feel that it had the comfortable and homey feel I was looking for. It felt more on the high-end side, which I felt wouldn't be a great fit for my loved one.

Watermark Ambassador

Thanks for visiting! We find that after a few days folks settle in and meet new friends – making the community feel smaller and intimate in size. We’re proud of the value we offer with extraordinary programs but everyone has their own unique preferences and priorities. Whatever your choice may be, please feel free to call any time if you have questions along the way. We are glad to help in any way we can. Sincerely, Kim Backes, Executive Director
Posted on behalf of Kim Backes.

We really liked Harvard Square. [Removed] was great. She had all of the necessary information about the available apartments and let us spend as much time as we needed evaluating the options and deciding what would be best for Mom. The property was clean, staff was friendly, and the residents looked happy. We liked all of the activities, that the dining area is open from 7 AM - 7 PM, and their ambassador program where they match current residents with new ones to help them get acquainted with others and the property.

Watermark Ambassador

Thanks for the high marks! I’m glad you had a positive experience when you visited and I hope we see you again soon. If you have questions along the way please feel free to give us a call. Thanks again, Sincerely, Kim Backes, Executive Director
Posted on behalf of Kim Backes.

Lots of volunteer opportunities that give a sense of purpose

My father is here currently and things are going as well as can be with any big life transition. The staff have been very helpful and open to questions and suggestions, and helping me get him as settled as possible. The facility itself is much older than some of the others we looked at but is clean and comfortable, feels as much like a home as possible and is maintained well. Since it is a bit older, the apartments are a little larger than some of the newer places we looked at. They have a regularly scheduled bus that will take everyone out to grocery stores, banks, Target, things like that, and sometimes they’ll go out to lunch or go for long drives, and they are open to suggestions by residents for new places to go. There’s also a driver on the staff that can take people to doctors’ appointments. The community itself has movies, a walking club, exercise, and there are multiple activities going on each day if residents want to participate. Location wise, it is on the edge of a lovely park with walking paths, and also close to coffee shops and restaurants which are very convenient when family is visiting. The only negative that I’ve experienced is that there was a bit of a staff change in the medical department and communications with that area have been difficult, but overall it's been a positive experience and I would recommend visiting to others looking for senior living.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for sharing your review. We are committed to resident and family member satisfaction and I’m so glad you are satisfied with the experience. I’ll read your review to the team and acknowledge them for their dedication and thank them for a job well done. Please stay in close contact and let us know what we can do to ensure your father continues to thrive. Sincerely, Kim Backes, Executive Director
Posted on behalf of Kim Backes.

A lot of vacancies at the time I toured

I toured here when trying to find the right place for my loved one and it was pretty good. They had some vacancies but their price was a bit higher than I would’ve liked. They charge you for the room and then everything else is extra, like medicine, laundry, and any additional help. The lady that gave me a tour knew a lot of the residents and would say hi to them. I got a tour of a lot of the vacated rooms and from what I could see, the rooms were pretty filthy but the rest of the facility was nice.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for visiting and sharing your review. We are committed to resident and family member satisfaction and I’m so glad your visit was positive overall. When we have a vacant residence we take the opportunity to update and renovate and you must have been shown select floor plans prior to their completion and clean up. I apologize for that and I’ll share your feedback with the team. We hope to see you back soon for lunch, coffee, or a special event to get to know our community a little better. Sincerely, Kim Backes, Executive Director

Harvard Square

I toured Harvard Square while looking at living options for my parents. I liked the community. I know the people who do the church services there, so I have knowledge of this community. I felt that the rooms were very nice, and I liked that security level of the building. Someone is always at the front door. However, I went with my instinct and chose one of the other communities I toured.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for your high marks and for visiting our community. Whatever your choice may be, please feel free to call any time if you have questions along the way. We are glad to help in any way we can. Sincerely, Janet Beaver, Executive Director

Doing As Well As Can Be Expected

With the medical issues that mom has she is doing as well as can be expected. She is overall not happy and that is not to say she is not trying but mostly that is due to her medical issues. The staff has been very good with her. They are patient and nice overall everyone is very friendly here. I'm sure the food is good she is eating better than before. The only time I was there the community appeared clean and well maintained. I am happy and comfortable with the level of care she is receiving here.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I’m glad to hear that you and your mother are satisfied overall. I’ll share your compliments with dining services and our caring team to thank them for loving what they do. I’m glad it shows. Please stay in close contact and let us know what we can do to ensure your mother continues to thrive here at Harvard Square. Sincerely, Janet Beaver, Executive Director

Good Vibe

Harvard Square is a beautiful and well-maintained community. We chose this community because everyone was super friendly and warm and very welcoming, it had a very good vibe. The staff is very caring and attentive to my mom's care needs. We are still in the process of working on decorating her room to that she feels more at home and surrounded by her things. I have dined with my mom at the dining area which is very nice and the food is good. The only negative being that when they are really busy it sometimes isn’t as hot as it should be when it’s served. They do offer a good variety of food. They have a lot to offer in the way of activities, mom has not had a chance to try out many of them yet. They provide transportation for the residents to go out shopping and other excursions. I would highly recommend this community to others.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I’ll read your review to the team and acknowledge them for their dedication and thank them for a job well done. Please stay in close contact and let us know what we can do to ensure your mom continues to thrive here at The Fountains. Also keep an eye out for our Fall 2017 Watermark University catalog, new classes and activities start September 1st. Sincerely, Janet Beaver, Executive Director

My husband care

The care at this community for my husband is wonderful. The staff is caring and patient. I like knowing that the community is clean. The variety of the menu is appealing and he is pleased with the nice variety. I like that he is involved with a lot of the nice actives that are helpful to him. I would recommend this community for the care and the value for other families needing care for a loved one.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you! I look forward to reading your review to the team to acknowledge them for their dedication, expertise and caring ways. Please let us know anything we can do to ensure your husband continues to thrive. Sincerely, Janet Beaver, Executive Director

Great Place

Harvard Square and HS The Gardens. My mom has been there for 6 years. In the Gardens the Nayas take great care of the residents. The care respect and dignity they show my mom is beyond compare!!
They are working on picking with with more activities and the constant attention that they advertise. I would live there myself when the time comes!

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for sharing your review. We are committed to resident and family member satisfaction and I’m so glad you are satisfied with the experience. Please stay in close contact and let us know what we can do to ensure your Mom continues to thrive. Sincerely, Janet Beaver, Executive Director

My new home

I like this nice community. I know that the staff and they are good and very attentive. The community has a lot of choices on the menu. The have activated, but I have not yet participated. I would recommend others to this community for good care.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you! I look forward to reading your review to the team to acknowledge them for their dedication, expertise and caring ways. Please let us know anything we can do to ensure you continue to thrive at Harvard Square. Sincerely, Janet Beaver, Executive Director

A Well Planned Tour

We had a pleasant tour and the staff took their time to listen to our needs and concerns. We were offered lunch to try the food. All the staff were professional. I saw endless hallways with several turns. My dad would not do well navigating through the community. The room we looked at had a view to the parking lot.

Watermark Ambassador

Thanks for visiting and for your high praise for our team. We have a select few residences available with different views and are sometimes able to accommodate with locations near elevators and common spaces to shorten the walk to dining, programs and friends. We do find that folks settle in quickly with our helpful signage and our Resident Ambassador buddy system is a fun, effective way to become comfortable in the community. If you'd like, please call me at [removed] I’d be happy to address your concerns and any questions you may have. Sincerely, Janet Beaver, Executive Director
Posted on behalf of Janet Beaver.

Staff was very warm and friendly, and seemed to know all the resident's names which was a good sign. Offers a lot of activities and sense of community. Pretty dated - very 70's.

Watermark Ambassador

Thanks for your high praise. We pride ourselves on a warm, welcoming friendly atmosphere and that comes easily because our team truly loves what they do. Our sense of community comes from knowing our residents, their likes and dislikes and providing a fun-filled lifestyle with lots of events, programs and choices. Unlike our brand new assisted living and memory care neighborhoods, our original building is definitely not new but we keep it as clean as a whistle and filled with vibrant programs and happy residents. Thanks again for visiting I hope we see you again soon. Sincerely, Janet Beaver

It Did Not Look Cheerful Here

When I stopped by for a tour, I thought this community looked older and they had a big community fee that needed to paid upfront. With the fee it would have not worked out for us. I got an institutional feeling while I was walking through the hallways. It gave a depressing feeling too. The apartment that was shown to me was updated and was fine however this was not our final choice.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for four out of five stars. We often hear that our rates are a good value and receive compliments on a comfortable, homey and lively community. Did you receive a catalog of our classes? We have dozens on culture, fitness, technology, art, music. We always have special excursions planned as well. I welcome you to give us another look and wish you all the best in your search. Sincerely, Janet Beaver

Our tour

I liked the staff I met at this community during our visit. They had not yet opened up the memory care section of this community when we visited so we were not able to view it. It looked like a clean nice community.

Watermark Ambassador

I’m glad you had a positive experience when you visited and I hope we see you again soon. If you have questions along the way please feel free to give us a call. Sincerely, Janet Beaver, Executive Director

The Nice Tour

It was a good tour for us. I liked this place better but my brother picked a different community. This was not the ideal location that was wanted. I liked seeing the people interacting with each other. It was a nice and clean community. They let us sample their meals and we thought it tasted good.

Watermark Ambassador

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We’re known for being a welcoming friendly place with a great atmosphere and excellent food. I’m glad you enjoyed your tour. I wish your family all the best and if you have questions along the way please feel free to give us a call. Sincerely, Janet Beaver

Good Place for Mom

All is well for my mother since her move to this community. They are caring for her and her needs very well. I know she is safe, and in good hands here.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for sharing your review. I’m so glad you’re satisfied and your mother is happy here. Please stay in close contact and let us know what we can do to ensure she’s thriving. Sincerely, Janet Beaver, Executive Director

Good But The Meals Can Improve

It is working out for my parents since moving into the community and the care that is provided is all fine. My parents like the staff that work there, they show good characteristics. The meals could be better though. The quality, freshness, selection, and availability of menu items can be better.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for sharing your experience; I’m glad to hear that you and your parents are satisfied overall. I’ll share your review with our dining services team to ensure we are achieving your satisfaction in every area. If you have more specific feedback on choices your parents would like to see, or other ideas for improvement please call me anytime. Sincerely, Janet Beaver, Executive Director
Posted on behalf of Janet Beaver.

Brand new memory care unit!

I am pleasantly surprised with how things are going since my mother made the move to this community. The helpers that are there are very kind, the resident's get a lot of one on one attention. The meals are great, but I wish they would cut the food more, like the other day they gave hamburgers and I helped all of the to ladies cut their burgers in quarters. The other problem I have noticed is that when my mother or another resident need this walker, for instance, the helpers say, " oh we have to look for your walker" and then kind of forget about it. Other than that the place is great, the memory care unit was barely built, we had to wait for it to be finished to move my mother in. I really like that its only 20 residents per building too, it's more personal attention. Overall we are very happy with this place.

Watermark Ambassador

I’m glad to hear your Mother is doing well with one-on-one attention and that you’re happy she’s here. Our philosophy of choice and dignity means we only cut food when asked, but we are happy to do so any time upon request. I’ll share your review with the team for coaching and constant improvement. I’d like to add – please keep your eye out for an invitation to try Thrive Dining, an innovative (and delicious) new bite-sized dining program we’re introducing soon. I’m sure you’ll be delighted to see these options added to the menu. Thanks again, Janet Beaver, Executive Director

An Awesome Transition

they are very good at keeping the community clean. All the staff are awesome and keep me up to date. My mom likes the meals especially prime rib night, it is really good. She tends to eat hamburgers and has general favorable comments. We are still figuring the spices in the meals but are glad to give substitutions. There are times when they help by bringing her meals to her room. She thinks it is a pretty good place to be and has meet some folks. They staff are appreciative. My mom has tried bingo and some special programs like singing and goes to work out sessions when she can. She is really trying to get acclimated.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for sharing your experience; I will show your feedback to our entire team to thank them and remind everyone to keep up the good work. Please stay in close contact and let us know anything we can do to ensure your Mom is thriving. Sincerely, Janet Beaver, Executive Director

Welcoming Community

Our tour of this community was a good one. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. Everything went very well, and we were pleased with our tour. The community looked nice and well-kept. The tour guide was a very kind and informative.

Still Adapting

My mom is adapting well to the new place and still transitioning to the environment. The staff are wonderful and they provide all the care. It's a beautiful community and at time moment is under construction. They are building a memory care and it looks chaotic but it looks good inside.

This community was our Third choice!!!

I liked this older community. The elevators were a little small and I was not sure they would work for my mom. The people that conducted the tour were very nice. The community was well taken care of.

This community was our second choice!!

We did not choose this community as it was a little farther away than the one we did choose. The staff during the tour were very nice and knowledgable. We did not get a chance to try the food but it did offer the same amenities as the other community.

Our Second Choice

This community was my brothers second choice. They enjoyed the tour that was given. I believe the people seemed friendly and appeared to have a lot of different activities. The location was not ideal, it is too far for the family.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for visiting Harvard Square. We wish the very best of luck to your parents and your entire family. Sincerely Janet Beaver, Executive Director

The Community Is Great Help

My mother is staying at this community and it has been going well. The staff do their best to accommodate her needs and they are nice and respectful. They keep the community very clean and provide weekly cleaning to her room. Meals are brought to my mom if she is unable to get downstairs. She likes to watch politics and knit in her room. I would recommend this community, I do not have to worry about her care and safeness.

Watermark Ambassador

Thanks for sharing your impressions in this review, and for choosing Harvard Square. We are honored to care for your mother. Please stay in close contact and let us know if there’s anything we can do to be sure she is thriving. Thanks again. Sincerely, Janet Beaver, Executive Director

Great Place

Really like the place. Staff is friendly, and everyone seems really happy in the home.

Mom And Dad Loves This Community

My parents are doing fabulous at this community, they really love the place. They are taking very good care of my parents. We have had a few situations and if they weren't at this community, I think they might have ended up in the hospital. The community looks outstanding, they keep their room and the facility spotless. The staff is amazing. They do offer activities for the residents. The food is wonderful, they have a really great selection of foods. They are in good hands and I would recommend it.

Review of Harvard Square - Denver, CO

Wonderful welcoming feeling. Building needs painting but they are in the process of renovating.

No more calls, we have a winner!

We looked ar 8 other facilities in Southeast Denver before choosing Harvard Square. From the moment we walked in, it resonated like home. There is a warm atmosphere, the staff is exceptionally welcoming amd helpful.

The dining area is bright, airy and not institutional, and open from 7am-7pm, so residents can eat whenever they are hungry. The food is wonderful, and there are abundant weekly activities. The mixed population of assisted/ independent living makes for a vibrant, engaged community.

This is my mom's first week in residence, and my heart is light, confident we made the right choice.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and for choosing Harvard Square. It’s our privilege and pleasure to have you as valued members of our community family and I look forward to sharing your review with our entire team. I urge you to let me know if there’s ever anything else we can do to help you thrive. Thank you again, Janet Beaver, Executive Director
Posted on behalf of Janet Beaver.

The activities are great! They have a lot to offer. So far everything is going smoothly.

Super Place

Both of my parents live here. It is a super place.

It's a little hard for us to adjust to the smaller area. Other than that they have been good to us.

Perfect Place for Mom & Dad

Harvard Square was and is a 5 STAR assisted living home for my Parents. Everyone has been very Friendly, kind, willing to assist with anything and I know 100% we selected the perfect place for my Parents. They are just now starting to participate in their numerous activities they offer

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you so much for taking the time to share that great news! We’re committed to 100% satisfaction and I’m so glad you and your parents are happy at Harvard Square. Next time you visit, pick up our calendar of programs/events/classes/excursions and feel free to join your parents in anything that looks fun and interesting! Thank you again. Janet Beaver, Executive Director

Great staff

Everyone is just so friendly here. The staff is great and the level of care is wonderful. The facility is always clean and the decor is very welcoming.

A Great Experience for a 50+ Som looking for place for Mom and Dad in their 80's

Every person we meet were great, friendly, kind and knowledgeable with ALL of our questions (Grace Gentry, Linda Timmons, Mekda's with medical and Mary Beth's voice answering phones and greeting everyone). A lot of activities for our Parents to do and staff is with them on a lot of them. Maintenance, dining room and assistance staff all friendly and very helpful

a friendly place

Harvard Square is going well overall. I enjoy what activities I do participate in. The ambiance is wonderful. It is a friendly place. They have a wide variety of things to do. The one area that needs improving is the dining area. The service can be slow. The staff don't always understand what you are saying. They need advocates to help those residents who are unable to vocalize their needs to the dining staff. Overall it has been a good experience here.

A Great Place

I think it is a very well managed place. The person who is the head of the facility is an incredibly compassionate and caring person and does a good job. The staff is kind to the residents. I think overall it was a great place.

Liked it except for location, in an urban area with a lot of nearby traffic. Built in 1983. Medication management available in assisted living; in independent living, staff cannot administer pills. Transportation for medical appointments on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Active resident council; food committee; hospitality committee. All three meals included, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. in both assisted and ind. living. Dinner is main meal of the day.

Friendly Staff, But Some Lack of Communication

Well my mom was only there for a little bit of time, but the staff was very friendly and very on top of things, with ensuring my mom had everything she needed to move in and helping to get her settled. There were several times when my mom didn't have her oxygen though and she needed it 24/7, so there was some lack of communication there. They also didn't talk about my mom as a name, but referred to her by her room number.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for taking the time to review our community. We are very happy to hear that you found our associates to be knowledgeable and friendly and that they were able to get your mother settled in quickly. You are right about our associates sometimes referring to residents by their room numbers. Because of privacy regulations and concerns, it is our practice to refer to room numbers to keep names confidential. As a result of your review, we will familiarize families with this practice and the reasons for it when new residents move in. I have checked with the nursing staff on the matter of your mother's oxygen, and they let me know that the oxygen company your mother used is not one of our contracted providers and operated at some distance from our community, sometimes making the delivery of oxygen late. Please do reach out to me if you have further questions or concerns. Best regards, Janet Beaver, Executive Director, Harvard Square

Harvard Square A Great Senior Home

Harvard Square Senior Living is a warm, friendly facility where each resident is treated with respect and dignity. The entire staff works with those goals in mind. The food is tasty and nutritious and served resturant style. Transportation is weii planned to meet a variety of needs for the residents. I am pleased with my choice to live here in the independent living apartments.

Staff Is Excellent

The staff at Harvard Square are all excellent! They are very friendly and know all the residents by name. One area where they could improve is the dining services. Sometimes the quality of food can be better, and depending on the chef of the day the amount of food can be smaller than what it should be. Otherwise everything with them has been very good.

Great experience with a Long Distance Move

Harvard Square has been a wonderful experience for my family. We live out of town and had to coordinate long distance, and the staff was very helpful and very much on top of things. My sister felt very good about the facility when she toured it - the residents were active and happy, and not sitting around in wheelchairs. We also are not sure what level of care my mom will need as time goes by, and Harvard Square can provide whatever level she needs, which we are very happy about so she does not have to move again.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and feedback. It is our distinct honor and pleasure to ensure your Mom’s days are engaging, interesting and filled with contentment, joy friendship and peace of mind that she is among many people who care for her and her well-being. Thank you again and please stay in close contact to let us know anything special we can do to help her thrive.

Sincerely, Janet Beaver, Executive Director

all around good experience

Based on my limited experience with Harvard Square they seem very good. My mother has been very well cared for, and the staff have all been very friendly and patient. It has really been just an all around good experience.

I would like any of the food to be organic..

I would like any of the food to be organic with a much higher level of nutrition. The facility is clean. The staff and residents are nice. There is a lot of activities that they offer.

Everybody makes it as easy as possible

Everybody makes it as easy as possible to get started. They continue to be a high quality facility. Harvard Square is a great community. It has a very clean and friendly atmosphere. The care takers do a very good job at taking care of the residents. The cost is a reasonable price. I rated the value 4 stars. My overall rating of this property is 5 stars because I think this is a wonderful assisted living community.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. As you note, it is so important for new residents to get off to a good start and we are glad that you found it to be easy. We are very pleased that you find us to be a high quality community and reasonably priced. Certainly our associates, who care for Harvard Square residents and form such strong bonds over the years, are our heart and soul! Again, thank you for letting us know about your impressions and experiences.

Best regards,
Janet Beaver, Executive Director Harvard Square.

Best of all worlds . . .

We toured a number of communities trying to find the best home for him. My father chose Harvard Square after he found out that some of his neighbors were residents there. He is living in the "independent" area of the community and should things change, he won't have to move again. Harvard Square offers a great friendly environment with a variety of social activities. There is a shuttle for doctors' appointments and other outings; great food, which he raves about. He does have the ability to cook in his own kitchen, but loves the chef's food so much, he probably won't cook. Not only is it delicious, there is a great variety. My father still drives and is still able to enjoy his standing activities of golf and worship, as he always did. What we love about Harvard is that my father is close to his old neighborhood, is safe and secure, which gives us peace of mind. This community was a little more expensive than others we toured but fell within his budget. My father loves Harvard Square.

most friendly and most welcoming place

Out of all the places that I visited, Harvard Square was absolutely the most friendly and most welcoming. My grandmother was welcomed by everyone there with open arms. They made it a very easy transition. She has since passed away and was not there for very long, but during the time she was it was the best place for her.

they go out of their way to help

The staff there at Harvard Square go out of their way to accommodate everyone. They are always very friendly and everything is done with a smile. The food (all means, breakfast lunch and dinner) is exceptional, and I send my compliments to whoever hires the wait staff. They seem to be high school students, and they are hard working and I think waiting at a place like Harvard Square is a great life experience for them, so my compliments to them and whoever hires and trains them.

As far as areas where they might could improve, I do think they could add some more type of activities, having a broader selection, and encourage individuals to get involved that may otherwise be a bit reluctant to do so on their own.

My parents are really enjoying Harvar...

My parents are really enjoying Harvard Square. It was an excellent choice.

Visited 7/18/14. Very nice....

Visited 7/18/14. Very nice. Pluses were 3 meals, price, apt seemed roomier, very attractive grounds and common areas. PT not available because of Kaiser insur but certified senior fitness trainer can provide indiv sessions for $100/8 sessions Minuses - long hallways, primarily assisted living folks, no balcony

Convenient for us and a more affordable option

My mom is 89 & has been at Harvard Square for over a year. Due to a fall when she was 88 causing a broken upper arm and a subsequent stroke, she needs fairly extensive assistance with dressing, bathing & transport to meals. There has been a recent change in facility ownership and we're still trying to figure out if there's going to be any benefit to the residents. It feels like meals have become skimpy in portions, and that there isn't enough staffing. The care staff, while typically kind, is predominantly "English as a second language" and this can be a problem for elderly people who don't always process well cognitively and may be losing hearing. Communication can be difficult. My mother doesn't participate in any activities so we can't comment on the quality of those. Overall, it's a nice facility and because of her assistance needs, the only option we can afford. She has a studio apartment and a small kitchenette, but she sleeps in a recliner and can't walk other than to get to the bathroom. The rooms/apartments here are bigger in general than other places we looked at. It is an older building, so the apartment bathrooms could be more accessible, the ventilation system more reliable etc. I was hoping the new admin would address these issues. The residence is close to my home and I'm mom's only family so this is a convenient option. It's so hard to move her that we just live with the deficits.

We are really happy with them.

They do a good job. We are really happy with them. The food is actually pretty good it's one of the reasons we chose them. Janet is the manager there, and working with senior is her avocation as well as her vocation, she really likes it, and it shows. They were right on top of their residents, we mistakenly signed our loved one out on the wrong sheet, and with in a very short amount of time, they were calling us and trying to find out what had happened. That gave me even more confidence.

Liked the building's open s...

Liked the building's open space/park setting with walk-out trails and big sun deck. Fourth floor independent living one-bedroom with study available - liked the extra study option. Have to move downstairs to go to assisted living and base price for assisted includes extra $1,000 for two people (Dad would have to take basic assistance plan, too, to live on the floor, even if he's not using it). Only 30 days notice if you want to move out. Good food, nice staff. Some of the appointments in common areas seemed somewhat dirty and worn. Good sized library.

Great Value

Overall, Harvard Square was the best value out of all 7 retirement communities I visited. Their common areas were fairly modern and spacious and the individual room layouts were excellent. They also had a broad range of care which is important to limit you loved ones moves. Not only was their staff very friendly, but so were the people living in the community. For example, a person living in the community requested if she could eat with us during a tasting for lunch which I found great because I could ask her questions about the community. My only real complaint are the rooms could be updated without charging an additional amount per month.

Satisfied

They have a very caring staff. The apartments were larger than many I saw at other communities. The quality of the food was very good. My mom was very satisfied. They have a large sized deck that the residents can use at any time. Although my mom dis not use it, the exercise facility had nice equipment and a good selection and an off site personal trainer who came into help the residents that wanted that.

The staff at this facility ...

The staff at this facility were welcoming and helpful. They tried hard to engage with making a sincere attempt to learn an unfamiliar name. They have good medical resources. The layout with a larger number of residents seemed more efficient for independent living. Going down long corridors to common facility areas seemed as if it might pose challenges. Perhaps it was the timing of my visit but there did not seem to be much community interaction. I did not meet any resident and saw only the model apartment. The place is clean and good and the staff seemed friendly.

Nice place. Older building...

Nice place. Older building. Studio very small and no kitchen.

Nice looking place

We toured this community when we were looking into a senior community for my Dad. It was a nice looking place, and everyone seemed very friendly. This place seemed to have a higher percentage of residents who were in need of assistance, and Dad was interested in community that was more focused on independent living.

Great atmosphere and care

This was a very nice place, my Mom was here for 2 years before her needs advanced beyond what they could provide. Everyone was friendly, and it created a very nice social atmosphere. The care that they did provide was good, although there was not much care available after dinner time, and Mom ended up needing more 24 hour care as her dementia advanced.

Nice, friendly assisted living

Toured several retirement communities in the area for my 85 year old dad. Chose Harvard Square because they seemed genuinely friendly and seemed to offer good value and nice living/assistance options. The food is also excellent.

We have not been disappointed (much to my surprise). Dad likes it a lot, as do I. Staff is very caring and friendly. Residents are nice and like to get out & meet each other, yet respect others' desire for privacy. The staff offers lots and lots to do. There's a nice library, a beautiful sunny deck, and nice walking paths/park nearby. The assistance staff is very nice and helpful as well.

I am really happy we chose Harvard Square.

Great Place at a Great Price

My dad used to live here and it was great. It was a real good value. The people were great and the activities were very good too but my father needed a greater level of care than they could provide. I would rate them fives across the board! They had great food and good space. Dad had a one bedroom apartment. It was really nice and affordable.

Within 3 minutes I knew this was the place!

I'm happy and I think we're getting out money's worth. My peace of mind is worth it. It seems like the acitivities are good but I don't really know because my parents aren't very active. They email me every week and keep me posted so that's great. I would say that people, if they don't know what questions to ask, they don't ask them. I don't think that finacially we would have been able to get my parents in to Harvard Square because I didn't know about VA benefits. Ask questions about the VA benefits because as it turned out, it was very doable.

Everyone there is just so sweet. The dining is more like a reastaurant. It doesn't feel like a dining hall which I think is more dignified for them. You order off of a menu that changes all the time. Within 3 minutes I knew that this was the place. It's fabulous.

Nice

Nice

fun

fun

I have been there several times. Peo...

I have been there several times. People are great! Staff is wonderful!!