Hamlet Nursing Home - Chagrin Falls, OH

Tour resulted, as most probably do, with pros and cons. My focus to start is more on independent living vs. assisted. Pros include beautiful, park like setting, which is highlighted with 4 large windows in the main living area of suites. Over 10 floor plans available. Rooms are spacious with an open main living area. Flooring is being upgraded along with exterior entryways, which is badly needed and may help alleviate the old, musty smell upon entry. Many activities and outings exist. The Atrium is quite nice with its versatile central courtyard offering space for many activities, while also providing some nice, sitting areas, away from the main courtyard while providing a view of most activities. Some cons include all independent units are entered by either taking 10 stairs up, or 5 stairs down (albeit these are wide and less steep), with the agent assuring me these are manageable even with a walker. Also, there is purportedly a back exit without stairs, at least on some units. The stairs and the hilly terrain are concerning for my mother who is increasingly losing her balance. Admittedly, this would not be a concern if living in the Atrium. The agent also assured me that full time onsite transportation is available for movement within the complex. While not terrible, the independent units also share a washer/dryer with one other unit. Finally, the price for independent units seems high but I have just begun my search so I do not have any comparisons.

A full spectrum of activities!!

The reason that we chose this community over the others was the strength in activities. The staff is good and the food is very good as well, but we really liked that they had a full spectrum of activities. It was not just bingo, they have outings and guests who come in with history lectures and current events. They have "active brain train" which is where they will break it down for example if someone had a background in accounting, it will have to do with math so they can recall what they don't use anymore. We are very happy with our decision.

Really great people!

The staff really is doing a good job. Dad loves his apartment and all the freedom he still gets. The community is a little older and they can update the Atrium, but they always do keep it clean. The people are really friendly and that was one of the biggest reason we came here.

I feel safe and comfortable at this community!!

There are a variety of activities available. This is a close knit community so you can get to know your neighbors. The community is on a beautiful wooded piece of land. It is nature like. The community is spotless. They offer two meals a day and the are cost efficient. The staff are very good at communicating with us. I would recommend this community.