Review of Alexander Guest House - Oak Ridge, TN

I have toured and also see patients in this facility. [removed] and [removed] do a great job! They make the atmosphere feel s friendly. The staff seem very compassionate.

Shelley Hamner

Thank you for your kind words- we will continue to make you happy!

I thought the staff was outstanding. I’ve recommended it to my brother in law for my sister. I attended the Fiesta party and the food was outstanding. I also spoke to a former coworker. His wife is a resident there. He said he was very pleased with his wife’s care.

Shelley Hamner

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are very proud of our community and glad that you are pleased!

Very nice facility and staff. Clean and well organized, lovely atmosphere where residents seen very happy and engaged.

Shelley Hamner

Thank you for your kind feedback!

This community has much to give; especially to those who have given up other homes.
The staff is very friendly and willing to helpful, whenever help is needs! There is a homelike atmosphere which is important to there of us who had been use to that kind of living. Also my friends and family are free to come and visit whenever they feel they would like to.

Shelley Hamner

Thank you for taking the time to review our community. We are very proud of our lovely community!

This facility appeals to the history of Oak Ridge. It reflects a nostalgic atmosphere.

Shelley Hamner

Thank you for your feedback on lovely, historic community!

I toured the community. It is decorated like old Hollywood. The staff is friendly. They have great events. The food is excellent.

Shelley Hamner

Thank you for your feedback! It is a beautiful community and we agree- the food is excellent!

Beautiful environment. [Removed] gave me a tour. It is very clean and the staff is amazing. [Removed] dad is one of their communities. I know she brags on what great he gets. She answered a lot of questions and invited me and my doctor to different events there. The residents seemed happy. The events were amazing!!

Shelley Hamner

Thank you for your great review of Alexander Guest House. We take a lot of pride in what we do!

Excellent care at a personal level.
Very compassionate!
Could offer more in food choices, the cold meals for dinner did not go over well of my dad.

Shelley Hamner

Thank you for your lovely feedback about our community.

I brought my antique tractor to their fall festival. It was a great time. The food was excellent.

Shelley Hamner

Thank you for participating! We are glad you are happy.

The facility is beautiful. The staff are friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend it.

Thank you!

I have toured and also see patients in this facility. [Removed] and [Removed] do a great job. They make the atmosphere so friendly. The staff seems very compassionate.

Shelley Hamner

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback. We are very proud of our community and appreciate you very much!

Beautiful facility and friendly caring staff. Rooms are well equipped for any hardship needs but still have appearance of a very nice hotel room. Meals I have at there have been very good. Would feel very comfortable and a loved one residing there.

Shelley Hamner

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. We are very proud of our community and glad you are impressed.

Among the best facilities I’ve visited residents and guests are treated promptly and courteously.

Shelley Hamner

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback!

Staff is always friendly and helpful. Facility is clean and well decorated which is inviting to visitors. Facility has excellent selection of activities for residents. Residents that work with like living here and the staff that cares for them.

Shelley Hamner

Thank you for your wonderful feedback! We are glad you are so impressed!

The community is a family, treat people with respect and love. The environment is upbeat and caring. Highly recommend the Alexander Guesthouse.

This is a very warm community. Residents smiling and happy. A lot of activity going on.

Shelley Hamner

Thank you for your wonderful feedback!

Wonderful staff, Beautiful facility.

Shelley Hamner

Thank you for your feedback!

I have been in this facility numerous times. I have observed the staff and they have never failed to be courteous, kind, extremely helpful, and informative with each person encountered. I would recommend their services at any time.

Shelley Hamner

Thank you for your wonderful feedback about our community!

This community is absolutely beautiful! The staff go above and beyond to provide entertainment and activities. The staff are extremely caring!

Shelley Hamner

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback!

Nice environment with rustic effect; clean, spacious and quite which allows the residence with needed privacy and help from friendly staff.

Shelley Hamner

Thank you for your nice feedback about our staff and community!

The staff does a great job with my Aunt.

Shelley Hamner

Thank you for your great feedback!

All the staff done a great job with my mother.

I love that the Inn is coming back to life! Friendly staff and residents!

The apts in assisted living were large and spacious. In the memory care the decoration was a continuation of the entire building. The memory care private room I toured was on the small side but the only shared room was spacious. The rooms also had large windows and the two rooms I toured overlooked a flower garden. The outside area was very spacious and pretty. The staff I met were employees that had been there over 15 years and took exceptional care of the patients. There is apx 16 patients so the care ratio is good. In talking to executive director, the costs are all inclusive and there wouldn't be "surprises" on our bill. They also had plenty of activities and lots of interaction with patients.

Shelley Hamner

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our beautiful community, Alexander Guest House. We take great pride in the care and service that we provide. We are happy that you have chosen us to care for your loved one. We will do everything we can to make sure you continued to be impressed!

The facility is unbelievable. The management team is caring and professional.

Mom is so happy

We moved my Mom from another Assisted Living about three months ago. We could not be more pleased with the change. My Mom is enjoying the programs, and loves the food. She has not needed a lot of extra help but they are always willing. Her room is always clean and she is proud to show it off. We thought it would be a challenge for her to leave her friends at the other location but it hasn't been and they are now joining her for meals here. I wished we had found this place two years ago and we would have just come here first.

Best Place By Far

We are just so blessed to have found this community. There is nothing that we don't like about this community. The staff by far is the best unit we have seen they are all so friendly, caring, and interact with all the residents and families. The food is excellently seasoned well good portions prepared very well. The inside is beautiful very clean peaceful.
They offer many activities you certainly will not be bored here.

The Alexander GH looks a lot like a hotel instead of a nursing home, which I found refreshing! :-) There was no smell whatsoever, and the floors and surfaces were all clean and bright. One of the current residents (our city manager's mother) approached me to tell me how great it is there, how nice the people are, both staff and residents. The rooms are small, but all services appear to be included (checking on that). Wish there was a vacancy with a view out the front (where Pat might recognize that she's in Oak Ridge). The dining room was more like a work or school dining hall, as residents talked and laughed as staff members served the meal. This is my first choice so far, as it appears to be well managed and a happy place for residents, not to mention it is closer to family for more frequent visiting. And, she might end up with an old friend in there!

Good Tour of This Community

My tour of this community went well. The community from what I saw looked nice, everything was well-kept. The staff I met was nice, and courtesy. My questions were answered, and they were informative. It was a good experience overall, and my tour was a good one.

Great stay!

My loved one's stay is going just fine at Alexander Guest Home! The staff are treating her very nice and the facility is kept well maintained. I have also shared a meal with my loved one, and they meals that they receive are quite good.

Christina Trentham

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate any feedback and are always looking for ways to improve our service to our residents, families, employees, and the community.

We like it!

The community was fine. The staff was good and they were helpful. My father in law just kept saying that the food was not good. However, everything else like the community being clean and my father in laws room is good.

Shelley Hamner

Thank you for leaving us this valuable feedback. We would encourage you to meet with our Executive Director to discuss your concerns in detail so that we can properly address them. We welcome the opportunity to serve you!

Very Nice!!

My tour of the Alexander Guest House went great. The place is a converted motel and seemed very comfortable. The inside was kept very clean, and all of the staff I came in contact with were very friendly and knowledgeable. The reason we did not choose this community was simply because there wasn't a room available for my husband.

Christina Trentham

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Alexander Guest House. We love to hear the stories that our residents, families, and guests have while visiting our community. We try to provide an environment that meets the needs and preferences of our residents and families. If there is ever anything you feel we could improve on, please don't hesitate to let us know. We now have availabilities, and we hope you will come back to visit and join us for lunch!

So many benefits

I just can't say enough nice things about Alexander Guest House Assisted Living. This is the second place Mom has lived in and the first was a very difficult experience in many ways for both of us even though Mom was excited to have her own "apartment". Mom has been at Alexander Guest House since November 2015 and it has exceeded all of our expectations. The all inclusive pricing is so convenient - we always know what the bill will be with no surprises. It is a good deal less expensive than the first place. I kept waiting for some kind of "gotcha!" but it has never come. The rooms and grounds are beautiful and it always smells nice. Mom really loves the staff and they are wonderful - always helpful and responsive and going the extra mile on a consistent basis. Phone calls are returned in a timely manner and they never make Mom or me feel that something is too much trouble. Even though Mom has rarely engaged in the many activities they offer, they still continue to invite her to each one personally. In my eyes, that just shows so much caring. I had a pretty bad case of caregiver burnout when Mom first moved in but the staff were very patient with me and my concerns and questions as well. They are there for the families as well as the residents. I highly recommend this as a caring, well run residence for elder loved ones. I no longer have any trouble sleeping at night worrying if Mom is ok.

Christina Trentham

The staff has been very kind to my mother and prompt to alert me of any issues.

Christina Trentham

So happy! Thank you Alexander Guest House!

First off, the building is absolutely breath taking! It is truly amazing that such a great historical land mark was made into something so beautiful for our seniors in the Oak Ridge community. The rooms are spacious and beautiful. The first thing I noticed were the windows, and the amount of natural light. We also love the food!
We moved my grandfather into the memory care side shortly after they opened back in November, and on behalf of my whole family, we have to say we could not be more pleased with the experience. We were very hesitant to place him anywhere, but the staff has made our transition as easy as possible. We definitely see new life in him thanks to his new routine. He has been much more active since the move, and very social. We have not seen this side of him in years. There are several other gentlemen also in the memory care which was great because we wanted him to have other men to talk to, and seems like typically there are more women.
The staff have been fantastic. They are always friendly and helpful. I know the folks working with my grandfather truly love and care about him. Even the housekeeper comes over to eat lunch with him sometimes.
We have been able to get to know other families thanks to the small environment, and that has also been a great experience.
It's hard to believe, but this was also our most affordable option for him because they do all inclusive pricing. So we don't have to pay for the extra levels of care that he would have needed.
I can't say enough about how much my family appreciates the beautiful, and wonderful environment the Alexander has provided. We want to tell everyone about the peace of mind they have given us!

Christina Trentham

Housed in what used to be the secret residence of scientists and others who worked on the Manhattan Project, Alexander Guest House is a historic building with much of the same elegance in style and atmosphere. Seniors who stay here are part of a community that is mixed, with residential and commercial properties both being represented. Seniors who stay here have access to the local theatre and other entertainment venues within walking distance as well as the following amenities:

- On-site beauty salon and barber
- Housekeeping and linen service
- Private and semi-private rooms
- Wellness program
- Planned social activities
- On-site physician availability

Services Offered

Alexander Guest House is a community offering assisted living and memory care service for seniors who need a helping hand in maintaining a home. The Retreat is the community's Memory Care program, and it is housed within the residence, providing a secure setting with a large outdoor garden for seniors to enjoy.

City Info

Oak Ridge Tennessee is part of the Knoxville metropolitan area, a country town located just twenty-five miles west of the big city and known as The Secret City for its connections to the Manhattan Project. The natural beauty of eastern Tennessee surrounds the city and offers residents access to plenty of outdoor recreational and leisure activities. Residents particularly enjoy visiting the Waterfront and any of the twenty area city parks.

- Walkability Score: 6 out of 10. Alexander House is located in a residential area, but there are shops within walking distance. However, not all streets have safe sidewalks, leaving some areas inaccessible for pedestrians.

- Average Age in 37830 zip code: 42. This is a white, rural-dominated area with more than half of the population married.

- Number of local senior residential facilities nearby: There are four other senior living facilities in the same zip-code as the Alexander House.

- Average Weather: Like much of this area of the country, weather is unpredictable in Oak Ridge. Summers are often hot and very humid. Winters can be dry and cold with occasional snowstorms.

- Veteran's facilities: Knoxville Vet Center

Transportation

Oak Ridge is a small community. Most residents travel by private vehicle or walk to their destination. There is a local reservation-based bus service that offers transportation within the city limits. Vanpooling and other ridesharing is recommended.

- Buses: Oak Ridge Transit is operated by the East Tennessee Human Resource Agency (ETHRA) and offers service within the city limits during daylight hours M-Saturday. You can call and make a reservation

- Taxis: There are a few local taxi companies within the Oak Ridge Area, including Yellow Cab and AAA Taxi

- Ride Shares: There are currently no public ridesharing companies in Oak Ridge, but many people utilize ridesharing through local message boards and word-of-mouth.

Health and Safety

Alexander House is located within a small-town community with low crime. There are many medical centers nearby, including a heart center and specialty medical offices that are within a mile's radius from the residence.

- Hospitals in the Area: Methodist Medical Center

- Crime rate in 37830 zip code: Oak Ridge is one of the safest areas in Eastern Tennessee, with a national ranking of 98:100 from Neighborhood Scout.com.

Sports and leisure

There are more than 85 mile of trails in the Oak Ridge area, which means seniors will have no problem finding a walking trail to fit their personal preference. The University of Tennessee Arboretum is also nearby for seniors who love learning about local flora. Alexander Guest House residents also have regularly scheduled events and classes on-site to keep them busy when they don't want to leave home.

- Golf courses near by: Oak Ridge Country Club, Centennial Golf Course
- Tennis courts/clubs near by: Oak Ridge Tennis Academy
- Gyms near by: Gold's Gym, National Fitness Center, Curves, Maxed Out

Shopping and Entertainment

Oak Ridge is culturally and socially active so there is always something for seniors with varying interests. Shopping centers are common afternoon destinations, and with a local symphony and playhouse, nights are often spent at the theater. Greenville is home to many historic and cultural attractions as well as shopping venues to fit any size pocket-book. Seniors are only a few minute's drive from museums celebrating southern history and entertainment.

- Clothes Shopping nearby: Atomic Fibers, Edward's Shoe Store, New 2U, Cutie Patooties, Southern Bliss Boutique, JCPenney, Walmart, Pete Fashions

- Grocery stores: J&C Market, Oak Ridge Farm Market, Aldi, Kroger, Hank's Market, Food City

- Restaurants: Razzleberry (ice cream), Big Ed's Pizza, Gallo Loco Mexican, New China Palace, La Ranchera, Homeland Cafe

- Movie theaters: Cinemark's Tinseltown USA

- Libraries: Oak Ridge Public Library

- Senior-friendly salons (men and women): Beauty Redefined, Attitudes Salon, Studio Nine, Absolute Salon, New Reflection

- Attractions: Jackson Plaza Shopping Center, Jackson Square, Oak Ridge Play House, International Friendship Bell, Science and Energy Museum

Religious facilities

Alexander Guest House is a diverse community. As such, many seniors find themselves exploring their spirituality in different ways. While the residence offers devotional opportunities, the Oak Ridge community is also rife with places of worship for seniors to visit. Some of these places include United Church, Chapel on the Hill; Oak Ridge Unitarian Universalist Church, First Presbyterian Church, and St. Mary's Catholic Church.