Garden Estates of Corpus Christi - Corpus Christi, TX

Care Services

We were initially so pleased with Garden Estates. From the front desk to the dining hall staff to the custodians, everyone was very welcoming. At the time that my mother signed the facility contracts, we were told that we needed to use aides from the Garden Estates List because they had all been thoroughly vetted and approved for the care of residents. Her weekly aid was phenomenal! We were so pleased with her care. However, after a couple of falls, we needed Sunday and night time care for her. We used a caregiver and her staff from the 'vetted' list. The aides were poorly trained. When Mom fail and broke her arm, she was pulled off the ground, put in her recliner, and left alone. I was not informed of the incident and found out by reading their care journal. I brought this matter to the attention of the director. Obviously, she did not take it seriously. I had to return several times to remove Mom's belongings. The same aide and her staff are still working there. I just hope that another resident is not injured by their lack of competence.

Dad is happy here

I feel good about my decision for choosing this community. It is a nice clean building in a nice area. The staff is very nice he knows all of their names and they know him. He is happy here and the food is good and they get 3 meals a day. They clean for him on Tuesdays. He has a friend that will come and help him do his laundry and if he didn't want to do it all he needs to do is pay a little extra. He wanted out of Dallas and we are very happy with this community. I would recommend this place.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of Garden Estates of Corpus Christi; we appreciate your feedback and your recommendation of our community!

Relationship with management

I live at Garden Estates and I can tell you first hand that if any problem arises at the facility that might effect the residence you can bet that the first thought is to favor the company and to [Removed] with the customers.
The only plus for the facility is their rooms presently the food is of the poorest quality.

Very happy with them

Things are working out well for mom at this community. We do have extra help coming in and they work closely with the community. I have good communication with them. The food is good, healthy and you are able to see what you are eating. The chef meets with the residents monthly to get ideas from them. They use fresh produce from the area. The staff are encouraging and mom feels like a member of the family. I would recommend taking a look at this community.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for sharing your confidence in us; we appreciate your feedback!

Y'all Come to Garden Estates!

Residents at Garden Estates are extremely friendly. I was greeted by nearly half the residents by my second day. Most made it a point to learn my name and called me by name. Everyone has a smile and greeting for strangers and residents.

The facility is clean and housekeepers clean all public areas every morning. All apartments are cleaned weekly.

Meals are very good and any special dietary needs are worked if at all possible.

Activities are geared for those in wheelchairs, scooters and those unrestricted. The director makes sure everyone feels welcome at any activity.

SLC Midwest

Barbara, thank you for sharing your experience! We appreciate your feedback and we're so pleased that you are enjoying the experience here at Garden Estates of Corpus Christi!

Not A Good Experience -

My mother lived here, and she had a terrible experience. The assistance was not as promised, the helpers were rude and uncaring. They treat everyone like a paycheck, instead of a resident. They made many promises when we toured, and before we moved in, but once mom moved in, their whole attitude changed - and not for the better. If you complain, they will listen and pretend to care, but nothing gets done, it is only a façade. Most residents complain about the food, and they even have a "town hall" type meeting where residents can voice their complaints, and they say they will look into your concern, then later come back and say they have to use the vendors set up by their corporate office - they have been doing this for years, so why pretend you are looking into anything, when you already know the answer? This was the biggest waste of money, and the worst experience. Cannot recommend this place. Buyer Beware!

SLC Midwest

I appreciate your feedback, and was disappointed to learn you did not have a more positive experience at our community. We strive to create great places to work and great places to live, and do take all the feedback we receive into consideration as we work toward this mission. As such, I’d appreciate the opportunity to learn more about the details of the concerns you’re describing should you have any additional information. Please feel free to reach out to me directly through our community phone line. Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you.
Stephaine Long, Executive Director

I took a tour!

I toured a couple of communities with one being Garden Estates. The facility was a nice place, with very friendly people. The tour went very well, but it was not what we were looking for.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review; we are disappointed that we could not meet your needs but very pleased that you enjoyed your visit with us!

It Has Meet Our Needs

As I was helping our family we came across this community. So far they have been able to provide what is need for our loved one's personal needs. She eats good meals and had many activities in the place or outside the community. It has been clean and nice all over. The staff are doing fine being attentive to her.

Great Care

This is a very nice community. We are happy with the staff. The food is good and different varieties. She is happy with alot of the activities . A wonderful place for those looking for great care.

The decor is not impressive, but the people are.

I have only been there a few times. My first impression was not great, the decor was not real inviting, just that first impression, was a let down. The phone conversations, I had were very positive, they were very helpful, and friendly. Then when we did the tour, and met some of the people that lived there and had lunch, and when I was getting ready to leave, I left feeling better. They really could do a lot to make it look better. They are very affordable, though and they don't seem to raise the price every year. I can't say enough about their maintenance people. They are so accommodating, and the staff is very loyal to the complex, and each other, they enjoy working there. They have both assisted living and independent living in the same building and eating in the same dining room, so there are a lot of Alzheimer's, and dementia residents, and it feels more like being in a nursing home, in that way. There are some complaints about the food, they have had a lot of turnover, and I hear that the place isn't as good as it was when it first opened. We heard that they will be getting a new chef in a month or two. Everything is scheduled, and it can be difficult to adjust to a schedule, when you aren't use to that.

Great Facility

Gae made all the difference in the facility! She was nice, informative, helpful, genuine and knew all the residents by name! She knew that we were on a fact finding mission in regards to what is available in care centers in Corpus Christi. If our mom needed to go to a center today, Garden Estates would be our first choice. We greatly enjoyed a tour of Garden Estates!

I really liked Gae. I think...

I really liked Gae. I think she did an excellent job of selling the place. I feel like my mom would enjoy living here.

Impressed in South Texas

My 89 year old mother has always been very independent but her safety is now a concern. She can no longer drive and she needs help with meals, light housekeeping and medication. Therefore, my sisters and I have been searching for a suitable retirement community where she will be supported and, more importantly, happy and safe. We found Garden Estates online and made an appointment with Gae Strenge to visit the complex and, wow! What a fabulous facility! It is beautiful, bright, and clean! Residents are active, smiling and seemingly very happy! In fact, residents approached me to say how happy they are, how great the food is, and they raved about the wonderful facilities. And Gae? She is outstanding! She is very knowledgeable, patient, supportive, very warm and absolutely wonderful. We visited a number of facilities and, while we have not yet made a decision about where Mom eventually will live, Garden Estates is at the very top of the list. The only drawback to our situation is that Garden Estates is farther away than we would like for Mom to be.

First Visit and Move In were positive thanks to Gae Strenge, who should be the Director

We first visited Garden Estates of Corpus Christi on Sunday, Feb. 23, 2014. It had became evident to my husband and me that [removed] a longtime dear friend should consider moving into a Sr. Retirement facility. She was very much opposed and felt that she could continue living alone in her home. After church She agreed to go with us and visit a few communities.

After visiting 3 facilities she was still opposed to moving, but we decided to visit one more, Garden Estates, before calling it quits for the day. It was late afternoon on Sunday and we doubted that anyone would be available to show us around and answer all of our questions, We walked in and asked for a tour.

The next hour was one of the most delightful experiences that we've had lately! Gae Strenge greeted us and sat down to get to know Nancy before showing us an apartment. In 3 minutes we all felt like we had known her all of our lives. She showed us several apartments and explained everything about the facility.

As we walked through the main lobby and the halls we saw many residents who's faces lit up when they saw Gae. She knew them all by name and introduced us. Gae, Janet at the front desk, as well as the residents, made us feel quite welcome. We stayed 2 hours, and were served coffee and scones. Gae invited us to come back on Monday and have lunch and discuss any necessary details.

As we got in the car to leave, Nancy said, "I like THIS place!" When we asked her what she liked best, she said, "Gae Strenge!" I'm sure that you already know that Gae Strenge is a SUPERSTAR!

My husband is a retired hospital administrator and he said if he was still working he would hire Gae away from there to work for him.

Bottom line: in less than 2 weeks Nancy had moved in and was settled in her apartment. She has been there 7 days and is comfortable and happy. It has been a smooth transition and the staff has done everything they can to make her feel welcome. She is participating in the planned activities and enjoying the pleasant surroundings and the awesome meals.

Not impressed

We toured this location while looking for places for Mom. We were not impressed with this location, the apartments themselves were not very nice, and it wasn't a great location. To be fair to them, Mom had already fallen in love with another community and wasn't much interested in touring others.

SLC Texas

Thank you for taking time out of your day to come visit our community. I am sorry to hear that you had some concerns regarding our location and resident rooms. Garden Estates is located in what is fast becoming the hub of the medical community in Corpus Christi, where you can find almost any type of medical professional or service within a very short radius. We are less than a 5 minute drive to various shopping or eating establishments and just a few minutes further to our local beach front, these are just a few reasons that we consider location to be a major strength of our community. If our residents require services or other needs that are beyond our immediate area, we provide daily transportation to virtually anywhere that they may need or want to go, thus eliminating the need for them to have to navigate the area themselves.

Additionally, the quality of the resident rooms is taken very seriously and our staff is held to high standards when we are remodeling rooms to get ready for a new resident. I have personally toured each of our vacant units to ensure that these standards of cleanliness and functionality are being followed and have daily meetings with our Director of Plant operations on the status of these rooms.

I appreciate your feedback, as I am a believer that you can’t get better without knowing how you are viewed by others. Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions or additional feedback you may have. Thanks, Shane Brown [removed]

This one was OK but there w...

This one was OK but there was no outside gardening area, and that is pretty important to my mother. Gae got tied up and couldn't help us, but Joel did a great job. Gae called later to follow up and tell me about another apartment that we had not seen.

SLC Texas

Thank you for taking the time to tour Garden Estates of Corpus Christi. We are very proud of our courtyards and love when our residents actively participate in gardening. It sounds like mom would have been a great fit for our active community. Feel free to contact us if mom would like to join us for an event to meet some of our other residents with similar interests.

Old Carpets

It didn't seem as clean. The carpets were stained and old looking in the hallways. The apartment I saw was comparable to the one my father-in-law has now but it was not as large and a littel more expensive. My biggest concern there was it had a full kitchen and I didn't feel comfortable with my father-in-law having a stove.

SLC Texas

My name is Whitney Brown and I am the Executive Director at Garden Estates. We are very sorry to hear that you did not have a better experience while visiting our community. Cleanliness is always a top priority at Garden Estates. I appreciate your candor about your first impression and have shared it with my team, as well as, walked the community myself with a critical eye to determine if we needed to make any modifications to our floor care plan. Regarding your concerns with the stove, we offer 3 meals a day, included in the rent, and thus many residents or families find no need for this appliance. If safety is a concern, we have the option of shutting off the power line to the stove so that the appliance is no longer functional. Your honest feedback is always valued and helps me assure quality and satisfaction. Please feel free to reach out to me and we can talk further about your thoughts. I can be reached at [removed] or [removed] anytime.

From gracious independent-style living to assisted living, Garden Estates offers a broad range of living options and services to meet your changing needs. As needs change, we’ll be here for you or your loved one. We truly believe in Aging In Place! We’re proud of our attentive staff, beautiful grounds, lovely apartment homes, beautiful lounges and dining rooms and unsurpassed services. Residents love our many facilities, fun-filled activities programs, frequent excursions, scheduled transportation, and our daily well-balanced meals. For those who require support with some of the activities of daily life such as bathing and dressing we offer Assisted Living Services tailored to individual needs. Find out more about Garden Estates tradition by contacting us today.