Fish Creek North - Calgary, AB

Fish Creek North - Calgary, AB has yet not published prices.

All common areas are larger than average and very inviting. In suite laundry, north side has view of fish creek park, no linen change, price a bit higher than equivalent suites in other locations. Elaborate art room with instructor present.

Nice rooms and good activities. 12 hour food open and alcohol options.

I was super impressed with this community. It is very new and it had a great vibe. My dad isn't interested in moving to Calgary so this wasn't his choice.

[Removed] was awesome and gave us a lot to think about! The place is very nice but didn't realize there would be extra costs for memory care. We definitely liked the inclusive format of the facility! Thanks for the tour.

A wonderful experience

We moved my mother-in-law from out of province. The location of United Active Living Fish Creek North was a big part of why we picked it initially, because I wanted to be able to visit often without a long commute.
While the location is great, it turns out it was also the right pick for a lot of other reasons.
Everyone has been so helpful in every aspect. The building itself is beautiful. You walk in and feel like it is the lobby and dining area of a four-star hotel -- not at all like your usual seniors home. The menus are clearly designed to be appealing with a lot of variety in the daily specials, while also being healthy. And the serving staff are great at getting to know their regulars.
My mother-in-law requires being monitored quite closely, with prompting for meals, meds from a nurse three times a day, assistance with personal care including dressing and showering etc. and encouragement and escorting to a wide range of programming. But it is all done in a discreet way, with electronic records, so it feels more like a vacation resort than a care facility.
The nursing staff has been wonderful and really care about providing good care. The administration has patiently helped with the many questions involved in moving from one province to another, transferring prescriptions and pharmacies and benefits plans, arrangements needed for a new doctor and steps to apply for Alberta health coverage. And the programming is surprisingly creative and inviting. The art studio is really special. My mother-in-law has also loved the music activities. And she also enjoys everything from afternoon tea gatherings to BYOB weekend afternoons.
Bottomline, moving my mother-in-law more than 2,000 miles at the age of 84 was daunting, and I initially second-guessed myself a lot. But even after just a few weeks, I can see bringing her here to Fish Creek North was the right thing for her. As she put it, she has her life back again.

I really like the model that they use of no segregation, everyone is mixed together as far as accommodation, they do not have a locked down memory care wing, they actually use technology to ensure the security of the people living there, great idea more places should do this. I think this would address the social restrictions that my mother is currently suffering but because of the current low occupancy this could also be a problem as it was pretty quiet when we were there. The other potential issue that i foresee is the that the facility is extremely large which my mother has found issue with when she was at Amica, that could cause her some difficulty in navigating the facility, not a deal breaker but something i have to consider. Other than that it was great, i think we may have to look at Garrison Green simply for proximity to where my mom would like to be in the city and the fact that Garrison is a bit smaller I believe, unfortunately at this point in time no availability but i would still like to have a tour.

This is a truly beautiful property. [Removed] was very professional and informative. We found the tour very helpful. We toured 3 suites in the assisted living side. They were very spacious and the entire place was spotless. The price point was good and the location was very peaceful and pretty. Loved the art studio area and that the food and meals were made to order and without specific times or seatings for meals. It has a casual elegance to it.
Not sure the location is right for the needs of parents. I think that they would like the facility but would find the location a little remote. If they were outdoor walkers/nature lovers, it would be great. We all liked that they had staff spend 30 minutes a day for the first month showing them the ropes,
They also have a great memory care program.