Elmcroft of Byrd Springs - Huntsville, AL

Nice facility but understaffed

My mother was a resident at Elmcroft for about a year. We loved the location and the facility was easy to navigate. I especially enjoyed the security offered by the locked doors. The decor is nice, food was great and the new activities coordinator is really trying to offer fun activities for the residents. I would caution anyone looking for a place for their loved one to remember that all facilities are on their best behavior when you visit. This is not my first experience with senior living services. Be sure to read the fine print and ask lots of questions up front. Elmcroft is a great facility, however, they are severely understaffed. Those on duty are multi-tasking and just trying to hold it all together and provide for the needs of the residents. I was in the dining facility one day on a weekend where lunch was served to my mother's table 45 minutes late because they just couldn't physically bring out the food fast enough due to only 2 staff members serving. I liked the direct service staff-RA's and nurses. Leadership for this facility needs to either hire more employees or engage in the direct services. Maintenance issues were slow to be resolved as well.

I was very impressed with this facility. The building is very well maintained and the locked entrance gave me a good feeling about security. The facility was clean, easy to navigate and all staff encountered were friendly. The residents looked happy as well. I hope my loved one chooses this place for his next home.

Very nice place for my mother.

The staff was very friendly and helpful to my mother and me. The building , rooms and the grounds were very clean and well kept.

Megan Strothman

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad you had a positive experience with us.

Good fit for mom!

My mother lives here and the staff is so attentive. She has had a couple of falls and they called me right away and let me know. Everyone is so friendly and they make you feel welcome. She likes the meals and enjoys them.They are having a family dinner next week. I chose Elmcroft because we were looking for a nice community and it's within walking distance of my house.

Megan Strothman

Thank you for the kind review! There is no greater honor than to be trusted with a very special member of your family.

Byrd Spring is a very warm and friendly atmosphere. The staff was extremely efficient and accommodating as we processed into the community and have always been welcoming. My brother is in great hands!

Megan Strothman

Thanks for the compliment, Patricia! We are glad that you chose to share your experience.

Safe environment with a friendly staff

My parents moved here recently and they are still adjusting. I think it's a safe place and the staff is very accommodating. They are slowly getting involved in activities while becoming more accustomed to their new surroundings.I chose this community because I liked the staff and the layout of the place. They were able to get a 3 room apartment here.

Megan Strothman

Thank you for the feedback. We are glad to hear your parents are loving their new home! We will pass along your comments to our local management team. Thanks again!

Elmcroft - Huntsville, AL

For the most part this senior living home is sincerely attentive to my needs. And the food is close to delicious.

Greatful!

The Elmcroft staff are exceptionally kind and helpful people. The facility is warm and inviting. I could not ask for better care for my 60 year old, special needs brother.

Megan Strothman

Thank you for your positive review! We are so glad to hear that your experiences have been pleasant.

Has some problems but overall it is a good place to live.

Very good assisted living. They keep the residents active and involved.

I’m 95 and needed more help than the place I was living. My family reviewed my needs & decided Elmcroft suited my needs more than any other place.

Family member lives near home.

Since I can’t be at my own home, I would not want to be anywhere else. I have been here almost seven years, love it.

Good place to live.

Food: Very good. Housekeeping excellent. Staff: Courteous, kind, professional.

My children chose this for my new home after looking at several other places.
Had I been given the opportunity I would have chosen it also.
The other residents are happy & “it “shows!! So Am I!!

Staff is helpful & willing by does so. Food is good & well cooked & flavored.

Very nice senior living-laugh instead of crying!

I had a stroke several years ago, after hospital rehab. I came to Elmcroft and am making wonderful progress.

I live here and I am happy to care its home!

Good place to sleep & eat.

People are friendly. Place is clean. Yards & are kept. Staff are enjoyable to be around. Enjoy all people.

Very wonderful place.

Elmcroft is wonderful. I really am pleased with the "family" there. Our uncle wanted to die. And now he's happy and getting stronger. Everyone there is smiling, the residents and the staff. We feel very blessed to have found this home.

A Great Experience

My parents had a lovely experience here at this community. Everything went very well and I was pleased. The community was very well maintained, everything looked very nice and clean. The staff is good, they were very helpful and attentive. Overall this is a good community I would recommend.

Nice place, overall

Overall our experience with Elmcroft of Byrd Springs has been a very good one. It's a nice looking place, the people are friendly, and they take great care of the residents. There are small things here and there that could be better, but in general it's a great place.

BIngo

I really like and enjoy playing bingo here. I am actually the Bingo champion well the "current" Bingo champion . You can challenge me if you like . GO Bingo

Excellent Facility

I have to put in a good word for their sales representative. She is very sweet to the residents and they are great. It is what sold me, so she does a very good job and they are all very good people. Everyone is prompt and good at taking care of any issues that come up and I am very comfortable with them.

It was a good place.

My loved one was here for four years. We had to move because she was getting to need more care than they provided. It was nice though, we never had any issues or concerns. It was a good place.

Releaved with Peace of Mind

Our representative assisting was Jenny and she was wonderful. Very thourough, she helped me find communities that I did not locate of which was one that I choose.

Elmcroft of Byrd Springs has been fabulious for my mother. She is 77 and I could not get her to eat right and we had a constant struggle with taking meds correctly.

She has now got situated, made a couple friends which she is not the social butterfly and is somewhat a hermit!! Just walking was a chore for her previously. It is amazing, we can have a pleasant visit and she is even exercising regularly. Her mantality/demeanor has changed dramatically.

Thank you!!! I think I may have the opportunity to know the mother in which I know she can be versus someone that has lived previously in misery. She has found her happy place I think!!

Difficult Director

My mom was at Elmcroft for 6 weeks. I moved her here because the last place was getting too expensive. During the interview they said after one month they would have a review to see if it was the right fit. She was there for 6 weeks. For two weeks they were on lock down for stomach virus and she couldn't leave her room. The director went in to her room and mom was just sitting in her room wearing a shirt and her depends but no pants. The director was making a big deal about that even though mom was just sitting in her room. The aids loved my mom but the director was difficult. The director called for a review at 5 weeks instead of 4 which meant they got to keep the community fee because it's only refundable up to 4 weeks. Then she said my mom is not assisted living material, she has to leave.

The have a small activities room there. The whole facility is a doughnut shape so if you want to get anywhere fast you have to walk outside through the courtyard or walk around the entire facility. They have a fancy lobby when you walk in but none of the residents ever sit there because they won't put a TV in there. The activities director was difficult too. The residents were bored on Sundays so I offered to go in and call bingo numbers when I could. She wanted me to make a commitment to at the same time every Sunday so she could put it on the activity board. I can't commit to every Sunday. She just made it difficult to help out. I was not too happy with our experience there. The director just put me off from the beginning. She was snotty and there's no reason for it.

Great staff and nice, simple layout

It's very clean, the people I was helping get in there commented all the time on how clean it was. I got to know some of the staff and they were always very nice and friendly when I went there. From what I could tell and just based on the people I was working with, it seemed to be really good. They paid attention if I had a concern and they would follow up on it. They have family nights once a month and they do different themes, I went to three of those and they make it fun.
A guardianshipo ended up taking over and they left but he refused to go, he didn't want to leave. What he liked about Elmcroft is it's open and it's easy to get around and get in touch with the staff. I went with Elmcroft because I felt like the staff was very intune and understood what they needed and were always available if I called. It was easy to interact with them and I liked the simpleness of the layout too, I thought that was really good for people having memory issues.

Overall positive experience for 10 years but some bumps in the road

My mother lived her for ten years until early stage dementia exceeded the capacity of this facility to provide level of care she needed. With most recent management, service overall exceeded expectations. The staff really worked hard with her even when her dementia proved extremely trying (oppositional, combative). Secure facility, pretty good food, and rates reasonable for level of care provided. Don't expect lots of attention, especially on weekends. Services that staff can provide for medication assistance, reminder to go to meals, showering quite good, but assistance with dressing, keeping clothes clean was spotty, though that also reflected my mother's dementia.

Complicated Bingo

Given a hard time about visiting hours. wanted us to stay away for a little bit when she first moved in. Seems like there is not activities although they do have an activities director. seems like activities are not geared toward the people living there. they made bingo difficult it is done so fast that they can't find the pictures before they go to the next one. not the typical bingo that everyone is used to. no card games. food is pretty good but could use more variety. really nice setting they have rocking chairs on the porch to just sit and relax. they have a courtyard but its not shaded so it gets hot. If it’s raining they have to walk around the courtyard to get to the dining room because it’s not covered.

Elmcroft at Byrd Springs, offers a special combination of daily living, personalized supportive services, and interactive activities. Since 1995 when our first community opened, we have offered a full range of personalized assistance with daily living services to seniors. We focus on wellness and keeping our residents as independent as long as possible with a tailored plan of assistance to meet their needs. Our ergonomically designed community houses a variety of apartment floor plans to accommodate the personal needs and habits of both our frail and our more active residents. Our residents call Elmcroft their home, and we love to nurture them through our holistic approach of caring for all resident needs - physical, emotional, social, and intellectual. Our residents enjoy Elmcroft for the clean, spacious apartments, afford ability, social activities, and the safe secure residential environment. Come see why so many seniors call Elmcroft home.