Ecumen Prairie Lodge Assisted Living - Brooklyn Center, MN

So much potential

I wish this facility could have an upgrade. My loved one has been here for a few years and experienced several plumbing, air conditioning and window issues.
The staff is friendly, but I feel underpaid. Most appear to be there for the check, which means the residents suffer. This facility could have so much more, unfortunately, my loved one is at the point of not being healthy enough to move.

Dad Has Become Busy

My dad is doing really well at this place. He is in the memory care and they are attentive and understand him, doing a fine job with the care. The food is fine and dad thinks it has gotten better. My dad likes to stroll the hallways and at times I couldn't find him in his room in the beginning. He is socializing a lot and I appreciate and likes that.

a good option

I can only base my review on the times I visit, but I feel there is a good staff ratio and that they care. I can't say that it is the cleanest place I toured, but the management is very organized and friendly. I don't see as much personal interaction with my dad as I'd like, but again, I'm only there for visits.

I really like the place

I really like the place. I don't think that it is a very good place for my friend because of his mental health needs. However, when placing someone here, I would consider it because, it is a great place. The activities are not for everyone at times, but no place is perfect.

Ecumen is Good Assisted Living Facility

This is a very clean facility and my mother is being taken care of very well.

Very happy with Prairie Lodge!

We're very happy with how things have gone with Prairie Lodge! The facility itself is very nice looking, I like that it is bright and open feeling. I'm also very satisfied with the level of care they provide, there are always plenty of staff on hand, and they all seem friendly. They've also got great attention to detail, our loved one's socks have matched every time we've visited! She really seems to be doing well here, she is more social, more verbal, and she really enjoys the food!

Not recommended.

I moved my loved one out of the facility after less than 6 months because of overall poor care and supervision. He aquired an infectin from poor hygiene practices and had injuries which couldn't be accounted for. There was poor documentation regarding drug administration (pills missing and not recorded) and services not provided that were part of his monthly cost. Administration was always open to my concerns and said the right things - but I was frustrated and disappointed with the care given. Ecumen has several buildings and this review is only for Summit House.

I’d give them a decent rating...

My mom was only in the assisted living community for a short time, but over all I’d give them a decent rating. They were able to help us find a better solution.

A work in progress

I was impressed when I saw the facility with my friend when she was considering the facility for herself. The manager Jane is friendly and warm and clear. She took more than enough time to help my friend understand what her life would be like once she had moved in. The nurse Linda was warm and friendly and went out of her way to accommodate my friend getting her assessment in by my friend's timetable. She drove through a blizzard to help with that. However, I am concerned that, now that my friend has moved in, on paper she appears to be getting ample and frequent services but I am not entirely convinced that the aides are following the plan, and there have been instances where they were impatient with her speech limitations. This is by report from my friend. I have not seen this myself. I have seen that at least some of the aides are not particularly prompt at answering the cord that can be rung when assistance is needed. I feel the activities available are fairly limited. There is no organized volunteer support, which would be quite helpful to my friend. I am hoping some of the kinks will be worked out over time. It is a big adjustment for my friend and she needs to work on her attitude, so her comments are not entirely all staff-related, I believe. I only went as high as 3 stars for overall rating because my friend just moved there. Over time I feel the rating could become a 4 or even a 5 as everyone adjusts.

A Little Like a Nursing Home

I thought it was nice, but it felt too much like a nursing home to us. The residents were a little less physically able. We came at a time when everyone was in their rooms, so we didn't really see any activities.

No Complaints

We can't complain. I think that they take care of everything. They have good security and good people. They do activities like cards at the table and all that stuff. My brother has his own room but no kitchenette; all of the cooking is done in the main kitchen.

Nice, Social Set Up

I liked them a lot. It's basically really designed for people who need memory care even thought they have memory care and non memory care available. The only difference between the memory care and assisted living is the staffing ratio. They way it's set up encourages people to spend more time out of their rooms which is good.

Good for people with behavior concerns

They accept more challenging folks, difficult to place folks with behavior histories. They have private suites which is nice for people who get easily agitated around others, so with peopel who are isolate and haven't been around other people or doesn't want to be, or people at certain stages of dementia, having space and quiet is very nice for them.

Rundown

It was dark and dank. It was older and when I walked in that was the impression that I got. It just seemed like it needed a face lift. It wasn't bright and cheery. The walls needed to be painted. I'm sure it was clean - I didn't see any dirt on the floor or critters running around or anything like that - it was just rundown.

Only have single rooms, no ...

Only have single rooms, no kitchenette in room. Bedrooms on both sides of hallway down from dining room, 60 steps. Have larger and smaller room available. Single level building. Near clinic where gets INR draws. Has lift. Low turn-over on staff. Only 30 residents. Waiver, stay in same room, cost $877/month out her ss. And gets $98 spending money. Pendant cost $35/month. $200 for nurse screening. Get to medical appointments on own. Has Bluestone medical option. Guest meals $5. Has add-ons mom would need. No garden area, motel look. Not best activity calendar.

Visited today. Very nice facility. De...

Visited today. Very nice facility. Definitely a consideration.

I liked this one and it had the nices...

I liked this one and it had the nicest room. There was a big window and it was next to a pond. All one-level and good activities. There were two sides to each building with 15 people in each and activities were done with both sides, so there were 30 total. The dining area was smaller. They had a personal trainer that came in 3x/wk. and exercise every day. The cost would be close to $7,000.

Welcome to Prairie Lodge, an assisted living and memory care community located in Brooklyn Center. We are located next door to the historic landmark Earle Brown Farm and within walking distance of a variety of shopping and dining options.

At Prairie Lodge our focus is on you, our customer. At Prairie Lodge we provide maintenance-free living and a wide range of assisted living and health care services tailored to fit your particular needs in a community that you’re proud to call home.

Prairie Lodge is part of Ecumen, which is Minnesota’s largest non-profit provider of housing for those “Living Fully After 50.” We look forward to meeting you and telling you more about the Prairie Lodge community.