Cardinal Retirement Residence - Hamilton, ON

Cardinal Retirement Residence - Hamilton, ON has yet not published prices.

Lovely place to put your parents in!

The Cardinal is in a beautiful and convenient neighbourhood in the middle of Hamilton, just steps from the St Joe's Hospital Emergency entrance. The friendly staff and well appointed rooms are exactly what we were looking for. There is good parking on the property and the street surrounding the residence. The meals seem to be liked and my mother is happy with them, so much that she actually has breakfast now. What impressed me was that the other residents were also very friendly upon our arrival and continue to wave or say Hello. The lounge is right off the Lobby and seems to always have residence occupying it. Its always nice to see the same people and a familiar face.
The Cardinal is slowly being renovated and they are keeping it bright and functional. The nurses and PSW's are very helpful and caring. There are activities, but for my mother she is not interested. In general I think they could add a few more interesting activities. There is front desk staff, but not at all times during the day or night and definitely not on the weekend. The outdoor areas are nice, but small. The rooms are various sizes, and quite large if you want one.
I feel good leaving my Mother in the Cardinal - she is safe, surrounded by friendly and caring staff and residents.

Great place but desperately needs renovation

The building is under renovation but have not seen much progress in 3 months. It is in dire need of this as well as new furniture. Stains on dining room chairs are quite noticeable and unclean, especially where the residents eat. The areas that that have not been renovated are filthy, stained and musty carpet, dirty walls. Outside patios are few and those that are there are not well maintained. Cigarette butts, broken furniture left in back of the building for months- the outside needs as much attention as the inside. I truly hope that this is addressed and soon as it is the only thing that deters giving the facility a higher rating.
The staff are wonderful and very caring. Management is engaged and helpful, They run activities on a regular basis but more variety is needed. The food is amazing! I enjoy being able to go to the dining room for a meal with my Mom and cannot complain about the food, I just wish they would do something about the dining room chairs as that can put you off your meal.

We did it

It’s a beautiful place to live, when you can’t yourself anymore. The staff is friendly, The residents are friendly. They got us closer to Hamilton and within walking distance of my sister, a hospital and walk in clinic. It is a senior residence - Family involvement is expected. Or outside services need to be obtained managed separately from their bill.
My Dad’s complicated🙃