Chester Street Residence - Royal Oak, MI

Best facility I've seen. Mom will move in the end of the month.

Wonderful people

I visited several in the area before entering Chester Street Residence. The owner greeted me at the door. I was immediately impressed with his concern for what he obviously knew what I was going through looking for a long term care facility for a loved one.
He took me through the entire facility and introduced me to several residents who all seemed sincerely happy with their surroundings.
I was apprehensive about visiting this particular structure due to a trip there as a grade school student on a field trip. People were in cinder block walled rooms with vinyl floors. The halls were the same and several elderly, very confused people were wandering around in different states of undress. The odors were overpowering.
This is no longer the case. It appears as if you are entering a very nice hotel lobby and everything is professionally drywalled, painted very welcoming neutral colors, and it's all trimmed with elegant wood moldings. The rooms are very spacious, private, and clean. Each room has a private spacious bathroom with all of the ADA requirements met. The staff is obviously carefully selected for personality, compassion, and a love for the elderly. There are no bad apples. The entire staff greets me by my first name and have since my first visit. Very respectful people. The owners name is [removed] and he truly has found his calling in life. His son [removed] is a fine young man and he also cares deeply for the comfort of the residents.
The neighborhood is quiet, safe and very centrally located.
I couldn't be happier

More to do!

We are very happy and pleased with these people. My loved one has become very content with this place and likes the staff. The staff is wonderful and they have done everything that needs to be done. The community is always clean and neat. The only thing that I would say is there needs to be more activities instead of one per day for a half hour.

Great Place

I cannot say enough good things about Chester Street. Management is top-notch. Staff are professional and friendly. Meals are nutritious, tasty and creatively presented. Atmosphere is bright and friendly. My mother was a resident here for 2-1/2 years, and I cannot say enough good things about here stay.

So happy with mom's home!

Our mom has been at Chester Street now for over 2 years and we are so happy with her home here. At first, we struggled with the decision of moving her to a community where she could get her care needs met versus living in the comfort of her own home. Once we made the decision to move to Chester Street, we quickly realized it was absolutely the right move. The biggest key for us above the quality of care she receives on a daily basis is how everyone cares for not only our mom but everyone who lives here. We see first hand how everyone puts caring into their roles at Chester Street. It shows from the owners to the caregivers to the kitchen staff and even with the maintenance and housekeepers! Most importantly, our mom is genuinely happy which makes us happy. Thank You, Chester Street!

Current Experience - February, 2016

On behalf of my mother, It is with mixed emotions writing this review but deem it necessary for anyone looking for an Assisted Living facility for a loved one.
Overall, the appearance and accommodations of the facility and private rooms are fine; the staff - extremely friendly and take the time to learn about the resident as well as the resident's family. Access to the facility for family and guests is well guarded and secure. The owner and administrators are on site - as should be. However, after one year of her being a resident at the Chester Street Residences in Royal Oak, MI., the quality of service has declined at an alarming rate.
To point - There has been an extremely high rate of turn-over of the on-site staff and is currently under staffed for the number of residents; meal portions are extremely small and there is no variation nor are there meal choices (e.g. being able to choose from 2 entrees, a choice of iced tea, lemonade, soda, etc.) Asking for "more" is frowned upon and not provided. Housekeeping of the private rooms is minimal - at best. Family members have taken vacuum cleaners, furniture cleaning and dusting sprays/rags to clean the room; laundry is tended to however clothes, self provided towels, wash clothes go missing along with bed linens. Beds are not made on a timely basis; on occasion, not at all.
From a medical perspective, meds are dispensed and tended to very well; regular-routine visits by the appointed outside medical staff are conducted however they lack in providing personal attention nor care to the individual patient. On one occasion, my mother received a collections notice - mailed to her room - from the visiting doctor demanding payment. This was finally resolved after meeting with the owner/administrator and providing proof from her Blue Cross/Blue Shield and Medicare statements that the doctor had been paid in full. Suspicious? Yes. And yet very disturbing and upsetting for the resident.
With the recent addition of even more resident rooms, poor housekeeping and meal service, understaffed and a high turnover rate of staff, we are concerned about the decision to have this be the place for mom. We are paying $5,500 In private funds and expect much better. You should too.

Martin Seltzer

As the owner of Chester Street Residence, I take the care and service provided to our residents and their families very seriously. As indicated in almost all of our reviews, we try to do everything possible, all day, every day to care for our residents and make this period of time nicer for the families. I am personally available 24 hours per day every day to discuss issues as mentioned above with family members. The issues related to meals is accurate in some respects. We do not have choice on a daily basis, which we have determined is for the benefit of our residents. We make every effort to have multiple choice for breakfast and a different hot prepared meal for lunch and dinner. All residents are welcome to additional food throughout the day and night as requested, within the restriction of health issues that may be involved in their particular situations. I do take exception to the cleanliness issues. We have a exceptionally clean community, with cleaning on a daily basis throughout the community. I will grant that with our population cleaning is a continuous issue that we work on every day. Our entire staff works every day to adjust to all that takes place and make our residents lives and living conditions as nice as possible under their individual circumstances. I do apologize to the person that wrote the above review for her feeling as indicated and certainly am available at any time to personally discuss all of the matters directly at their convenience.

Very good 24/7 care, not a lot of activities

In terms of the care they provide I think Chester Street Residence does a very good job. They're very expensive, but if you need 24/7 care for a loved one they are definitely a good option. However, I was very disappointed by the activities here. They advertise a fairly busy activity schedule, but I did not see nearly that many actually going on.

At the young age of 69, my father found himself unable to maintain stable health even at an independent living residence. Before Chester Street, he had been living at an independent living facility with over 100 residents. His diabetes and depression proved such a facility to be inadequate for him and his needs. I live out of state and as his POA, I had a short time to find a new home for him. I visited/interviewed several group homes in the metro Detroit area, ranging from 4-30 residents. I could not be happier with our choice to make Chester Street his last home. Although Chester Street had a higher monthly bill than may of the others that I looked at, it was well worth it.

Marty, the owner was an excellent communicator. His experience in elder care is invaluable. He was a great ally to have, dealing with my fathers illness long-distance.
The in-house staff was great and really made my father feel at home. Marty had recommendations for everything my father needed from a general practitioner to specialists to hospice at the end of his life.

The facility is clean, welcoming and seems to be well designed for people of all abilities. My father never had any complaints about the food (which was not the case with any other facility he had frequented).
If you are looking for a place for a person who needs a lot of personal attention, you need to visit Chester Street Residence.

Don't miss Chester Street

Friendly, helpful caring staff

Friendly, helpful caring staff

Very friendly and caring staff!

We had a wonderful experience with Chester Street Residence! My loved one was only here a short time, but despite it not being a long stay the staff really got to know him well. The staff, both the aides and the management, are wonderful, I can't say enough good things about them! They are all incredibly caring and friendly. The facility itself is also very nice, and they do a great job with the food!

Excellent care

My loved one was only here a short time, but I thought they did an excellent job during her time here. It's a smaller, non-corporate owned community, and they do a great job making sure the residents get a lot of individual attention. She was here during a difficult stage in her care, and I felt the advice they offered and the calls that they made regarding her care were all good ones. I'd definitely recommend them as an option for other families.

I love Chester Street Residence!

I love Chester Street Residence! This facility is not only beautiful aesthetically, but the staff (who set the tone of the community) are the best! The care, meals, medical professionals & owner are top notch!
Finding a home for my elderly relative was a daunting, scary experience but once I found this place, all of my worries were at ease. I am able to sleep peacefully at night knowing that she is safe, happy & healthy!
I would recommend this facility to anyone looking for a great home for their loved one!

I Love Chester Street Residence!

I love Chester Street Residence! This facility is not only beautiful aesthetically, but the staff (who sets the tone of the community) are the best! The care, meals, medical professionals & owner are top notch!
Finding a home for my elderly relative was a daunting, scary experience, but once I found this place, all of my worries were at ease. I am able to sleep peacefully at night knowing that she is safe, happy & healthy!

Poor management

I feel there are a few things that need improvement as far as care. There are no refrigerators in the room. My aunt paid $2500 deposit and $5000 to move in on February 10. She was never given water with a lid on it. She was there 5 days and I visited her 3 of the 5 days. After being there 5 days she was hospitalized with renal failure. She was severely dehydrated. I took 12 bottles of nutritional food to be fed thru her tube feeding. They claimed they fed her that way but they were never used. She passed away February 28. I gave notice after her being there 5 days and $7500 later and Marty was going to "technically charge me more money when I paid for a full month of February and she moved in on the 10th. He never presented me with a copy of our lease agreement, never refunded any deposit, or food refund. This is not a compassionate company!

Update to review on 3/27/14: I visited Marty today. I would like to update you on my visit. My husband spoke to him about refunding the ten days of February that she was not there. She moved in on February 10 and we paid for a full month. He did say that A place for Mom takes 75 percent of the money that we gave him. He was willing to refund $1650 of the monies.

Hes still happy after almost 2 years

He requires a high amount of assistance from dressing, showers, meals, physio, to physician intervention for various health issues as they have rose. Everyone treats him with warmth, kindness and dignity. Because of this he does not miss the opportunity to tease and smile with the staff and other residents.

He soon to be 93 and he just keeps trucking along with a smile. I am there often and we both feel very lucky to have found Chester St.

Wonderful Community

I recently moved my mom to Chester Street and was apprehensive as she had been living at home up til then. The daily care become too much for my family which prompted this move. The process of moving her in was so much easier than I thought. Marty, the owner of the community, really made things simple and easy for our family. He took care of getting all of her prescriptions set up before her arrival. Shortly after moving in, my mom was given an evaluation by the resident doctor and was immediately set up on physical, occupational and speech therapy. This made us feel really good!

She has a lot of wonderful daily interaction that has been great for her. She sits with a great group of ladies for her meals and enjoys the weekly activities like bingo, ice cream socials and church service. They also have musicians come by and play for the residents. She tells me how much she enjoys the aides who always make her feel special. I am so glad we found Chester Street and that I feel my mom is in good hands.

I liked that it was quiet.

We never had a problem with the girls or the caregivers. They are a smaller community. The care is all included in the price. They were always walking by and checking on her. We didn't really participate in the activities. I liked that it was quiet. I don't know whether they have access to hospice. We had a problem with their doctor. We told him to check with her doctor if he was going to give her new medications. He gave her a medication without checking with her doctor or us and it made her really sick.

Diane Ambroziak

Diane was a pleasure. She was very conscientious, and efficent, She was prompt, followed through, and seemed to really care. I have already sent her a new referral. Michael Abramsky PhD

I liked Marty's philosophy ...

I liked Marty's philosophy on health care and the facility is immaculate. The small number of residents is a great setting and the staff was very friendly.

Everything is going great and we're h...

Everything is going great and we're happy with where she is!

EVERYTHING POSSIBLE, ALL DAY, EVERY DAY

CHESTER STREET RESIDENCE STRIVES TO PROVIDE ALL THE RESIDENTS IN OUR COMMUNITY WITH THE HIGHEST QUALITY OF LIFE, BASED ON EACH RESIDENT'S INDIVIDUAL CIRCUMSTANCES

RESIDENTS, FAMILIES, STAFF AND OWNERSHIP ARE ALL FAMILY, INTERACTING ALL DAY EVERY DAY TO PROVIDE A HAPPY, UPBEAT, WARM ATMOSPHERE

AT THE SAME TIME WE PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO EVERY RESIDENT'S DAILY ACTIVITIES TO DETERMINE IF THERE ARE ANY MEDICAL OR PERSONAL NEEDS THAT REQUIRE ATTENTION BY OUR STAFF, DOCTORS, THERAPISTS OR ANY OUTSIDE SOURCES

EVERYTHING POSSIBLE, ALL DAY, EVERY DAY