California Villa Retirement - Van Nuys, CA

HORRIBLE

DO NOT SEND A LOVED ONE HERE! THE STAFF HERE ARE SO INCOSIDERATE AND RUDE. [Removed] CARES MORE ABOUT WHAT SHES GOING TO HAVE FOR LUNCH THEN HAVING A DECENT RELATIONSHIP WITH HER PATIENTS. PLACE IS DISGUSTING. FULL OF BED BUGS.... MY GRANDFATHER COMPLAINED ABOUT BED BUGS FOR SEVERAL WEEKS AND THE MANAGER DID NOTHING! I HOPE THEY FIRE HER [Removed] AND HIRE SOMEONE WHOS MORE ACTIVE AND CARES ABOUT THE PLACE THEY RUN. HAD TO CALL THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT!!!!! DONT EVEN WASTE YOUR TIME TO TAKE A GLANCE AT THIS SHITTY PLACE. SORRY FOR THOSE WHO ARE VIEWING THIS FOR ALL THE CURSING, BUT ITS JUST SO UPSETTING THAT PEOPLE TAKE ADVANTAGE FOR MONEY. MONEY WASTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT EVEN DESERVE 1 STAR.

Stay Away

Do not send people here. My father is currently in their dementia unit, and I have done all I can do to be patient and explain things in multiple ways to make sure the basics get done. I see him about every weekend or every other weekend, and his finger nails are always full of feces (he is incontinent, but still they need to clean his nails if and whenever feces are present). He is usually not wearing the clothing I have bought for him, even though under their advisement I wrote his name on everything. I don't have a lot of money to spend, and when I buy him stuff and it ends up on someone else, its upsetting.

I am trying to make his life the most comfortable I can on our small budget. And what I am realizing is that I was being very kind because I know this place is at the lower end. So I was willing to let more things slide than I should. The manager is horrible. After trying to work with her multiple times, as he has lived there for about 2 years, we finally sent an ombudsman. Then we found out what they reported to the ombudsman about a particular issue was a complete fabrication. That is the tipping point for me. I know working with dementia patients (including my father) is not easy. But do not lie. If you can help it, do not sent anyone you know here. ever.

Look Somehwere Else for Dementia Care

Not a warm, friendly place. My father was put into the dementia care unit and in less than 3 weeks [removed]. Everytime I visited him he was sitting in the same room on a couch surrounded by 20+ people doing nothing. He said that they'd be left there for hours his tailbone was sore due to lack of activity. My father is completely mobile, but he had no freedom to walk out of the room to spend time in his own room or do anything. He even complained of restraint and abuse from a nurse, which was never reported to me by staff, so I will be contacting Ombudsman over it. The med room staff nurse was rude right off the bat and the facility director, Jackie, was unfriendly everytime we met. No smiles or warmth, just wanted my money. I felt uncomfortable talking to her about anything and feel that, at least in the dementia unit, these people just show up for a paycheck and couldn't care less about their patients. I would not recommend this place to anyone, let alone a loved one.

Sloppy Room

It was sloppy. The room was not painted. The paint was chipping and the screen was torn. It was not clean and they knew we were coming. I didn't think the director was that friendly. The lady who took us around the community seemed to be but it still wasn't a place I would recommend to anyone.

Would NOT recommend

They're a bunch of thieves out there, they stole my husbands stuff and they wanted us to give them a list when we went in, we took time to log everything that he had when we went in, we took time to log everything that he had. The first thing on the list was the first thing they stole, I was so disgusted with that place I wouldn't take a dog there. He was in hospice right when he got in, California Villa has the dementia part and the assisted living part and they're separate so I can only speak for the dementia part. They told us about activities but I never saw any. When I would get there he'd be up out of bed and in a wheelchair and he would just be sitting in the activity room with the other people, they wouldn't be doing anything. When he went into California Villa, he walked in there and somewhere between the time that he got there and maybe a month, he wasn't walking.

Fees include meals, laundry, shower 3...

Fees include meals, laundry, shower 3x a week, and medication dispensing. Doc appointments are $40 a visit. They keep a stipend for outings and when that expires, they let you know.

If you are looking for an assisted living facility for your loved ones, California Villa Retirement located in Van Nuys may be the answer to your prayers. Residents are encouraged to live a healthy life in an atmosphere that fosters friendship and socialization with other residents. Our facility offers cozy space both inside and outdoors that invite residents to gather and chat with one another. Mealtime is also a perfect opportunity for residents to gather together and share old and new stories. Our staff is trained, caring and completely professional. Residents are always treated with the respect and dignity they deserve. Assistance with the tasks of daily living such as bathing and dressing are provided. We also provide housekeeping and laundry services so the residents can rest comfortably knowing that they are in a clean and safe environment. We will see that your loved ones are cared for and their needs addressed. We will be there for them at all times and we will be there for you should you want to discuss their care. Your loved ones deserve the very best. Let us help you give them the care they deserve.