Burr Oak Manor - Genoa City, WI

HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE

HORRIBLE!!!! NO OTHER WORDS TO EXPRESS. TERRIBLE CARE AND CUSTOMER SERVICE. ONCE THEY CON YOU OUT OF YOUR $ THEY NEVER TAKE CARE OF YOUR LOVED ONE. TERRIBLE COMMUNICATION.

Gated Up Community

I was not impressed with my tour of this community. When I first showed up I did not have an appointment, and that seemed to have frustrated them. The community is all gated up. It was a not pleasant experience , and I would not had felt comfortable with my mother living in this community.

Care and Value for care

I like the care here at this community. The staff do keep me informed on her progress. The community is clean and maintained. The menu could use some improvements. We liked the location that is close to my home. They have activiites that are offered to the residents. We would suggest that families tour this community for care and to see the options They need to have more community in areas with staff and family.

Not as many social aspects as described.

The experience with Burr Oak Manor has been different than we expected. They don't go out on outings as often as we thought. They go on outings once a month and they do offer activities and events in house but my mother is younger than most of the residents and doesn't go very often. She enjoys the food and they offer nice portion sizes.We chose Burr Oak Manor they offered bigger rooms which was more accommodating to her needs. It's also very close to my home and work so I can visit often. I would recommend them.

Nice lady already!

I have not got to take a tour of this community yet. However, I did get to talk to the owner. She has answered all my questions and has been able to give me a glimpse in to what to expect. I can't wait to take the tour.

Feels like Home!!

The staff has really gone out of their way to help my mother adjust to the change. I am really enjoying the personal touch the staff puts into the care they provide. The staff all know everyone by the first name. The place is very clean and the meals are well balanced. The community offers daily activities for the residents to interact with each other.

Mom is always smiling!

This community seems to be really good. My mom likes the food. The staff care about her and makes sure she has what she needs. Mom likes to participate in some of the daily activities such as a wheelchair dance class, bible study and singing. A volunteer comes in twice a week to sit with her and do puzzles. I would definitely recommend this community.

A laid back community!!!

If you are looking for a laid back community then Burr Oak Manor is the place for you. The staff are willing to work around your schedule, so if you do not feel like joining everyone for a meal they will bring you a meal when you are ready to eat. The food is the quality you would expect in institutional setting. It is a small community in an older building. They keep the place very clean and well maintained. The community does not have all the bells and whistles of the newer communities. They offer a variety of activities and my grandparents have taken advantage of the indoor activities and are not really interested in the outings. If you are looking for a non-structured small community then this is the place for you.

Not A Good Experience

Our experience with this community was not a good one we were very disappointed with Burr Oak Manor. The owner of the community wasn't very welcoming she seemed like she was all about the money. There is some good staff, I do think they could be more responsive and more attentive to the residents. The meals arrive slow and cold. This just wasn't a good fit for my parents. I wouldn't recommend this community it just wasn't a good experience for us.

Staff cares and loves the residents.

I am a quadroplegic but am capable. I am not handicap though. Things are going pretty good since I came to Burr Oak Manor, I like it here. There are not much activities I can participate in. They have let me start helping with the meal planning and providing recipes and the food has gotten better since I've been helping. The caregivers have to cook the meals and they can be rushed, so they could use some kitchen staff. Residents are well taken care of and loved by the staff.

Review of Burr Oak Manor - Genoa City, WI

This is a place where you dump your relatives when you dont know what to do with them.

5 stars

They are very friendly and kind to the residents.

Very friendly staff and clients were happy and involved with each other and staff.

working out well

It is working out well at Burr Oak Manor. They are very caring there. The closets in the rooms could use lighting. The rooms are small but all they are doing is sleeping in them. They are encouraged to get out of their rooms and it is more of a home like atmosphere. Overall it has been good. I am happy we found this facility.

Noticed they're not fully staffed and that makes me feel like there over working there employees and cares aren't happening properly. Monday and Tuesday's they don't have a chef and the caregivers have to cook which takes them away from the job duties. I also felt like it was very unorganized and all go go go with no stops. My family member seems happy but he/she doesn't complain much but he/she lets me see what they notice. Not 100% happy. But I can say the staff is great and they do there best. They're very welcoming and always have a smile on. (Most of the time)

Not what we were told

The environment is very depressing, and some of the residents are very disruptive with incoherent yelling.

One of the better ones.

The staff are very friendly and patient. One of the residents is a very difficult man, (due to dementia) but the staff is always patient with him. The staff joke around with my mom. Many of the residents are no longer able to communicate well, so the staff seats her at a table with a gentleman who is able to have a conversations, at meal times. We live less than 10 minutes from her and we pop in at different times of the day to see if she is being well cared for and she always is.
There's one thing that I don't like and that's every once in a while, I do smell urine. When we first searched for a nursing home it seemed every one of them had this in varying degrees. Burr Oak Manor has a lesser degree but it does bother me.
The food is institutional and most of the residents have dietary restrictions so it's as expected, bland and easily chewed. It's the one complaint my mother has. Since we live so close we're able to take her out for Sunday meetings and lunch nearly every week, so she does get to eat out regularly.
They have activities such as movie night with popcorn once a week as well as Bingo night. Last summer they went on an afternoon guided cruise trip at a nearby lake. I was happy to see that they do get the seniors out of the building from time to time.
Don't be late with your monthly payment because the fee is 10% which amounts to about $500.00.
All in all we're content with Burr Oak Manor. Knowing that the staff is great, both in the care of my mom and friendly with her, is of the utmost importance.

Great

I am very happy how this facility works and takes care of the elderly. As long as he is happy then so am I that's all that really matters. Few times that i'v visited its a nice small community not to crowded and big which is good. Also have tons of activities.

Everything seems to be going really good so far.

Everything seems to be going really good so far. The staff is friendly, and it's a nice clean place. He is happy, and that is what's important. I don't have any concerns or complaints at this time. So far they get a five in my book.

Parents can share room, fits budget, poor food prep, lacks security for memory loss

I like that it fits our budget that we needed, and my husband's parents are able to be together, in a good sized room.

They've met all our expectations as far as the level of care they need.

There was some misrepresentation about some memory care in the beginning. First, they don't have a chef; whatever nurses are working just make the food. There are two common rooms where they eat. There is a kitchen, but noone comes in to cook. There are about 50 residents. The food hasn't been good, especially for people who have to have to have a certain diet.

At one point my dad got out of the building, because they weren't taking proper care as far as keeping doors locked. There are two doors to the room, and one opens to the outside. They said they were going to put an alarm on it, but they don't really seem to want to put a memory care alarm on that room. We had to put a dresser in front of the door to keep my father from just walking out.

Overall it's a better situation they were in, and overall it's been positive, but there are certainly some issues.

Very Happy!!

They keep it so clean that I would give them a six, they not only keep the place clean, but they keep the residents clean. There are no odors when we visit. They are definitely a good value for what we are getting. There are some care services that are not in their authority, I am not judging what they can't do. Nick at A Place For Mom said something to me, to the effect that he had put nine other families there and hadn't gotten any complaints and he can raise that number to ten. It has been very delicate and tricky, but they have flexible, and have been able to meet our needs. They observe very closely and follow the state guidelines to make sure everyone is very safe, safety is very important. It was overwhelming and Nick was very important in getting us through a tough time.

Small intimate place that stresses th...

Small intimate place that stresses that it's the residents home and it has a homey feeling. Care is outstanding.

Very pleased with the care

The staff here were really wonderful. Everyone was friendly, caring, and they were great about listening to feedback to make sure your loved one is getting exactly what they need. They were also always getting us updates on any issues our loved one was having. I also have nothing but good things to say about the hospice care my loved one received here. I'd recommend anyone looking into options check this place out.

A SMALL TOWN FEELING WHERE THE STAFF CARES FOR YOUR LOVED ONE

We considered several options when looking at an assisted living home for my mother-in-law, who is 87, and has dementia and the results of a stroke.

Burr Oak Manor is the perfect fit. We liked their philosophy of care and the fact that they are small enough to know all their residents. It has a small-town feeling, which is perfect for our family. We liked the fact that Mom could bring her own furniture, which makes her new room much more familiar. Even more important, they are licensed to end of life so we won't have to move Mom when her condition worsens.

The staff is friendly, caring and knowledgeable.

We toured Burr Oak Manor to...

We toured Burr Oak Manor today and were very impressed with the type of care they offer.

Burr Oak Manor in Genoa City, WI is a 33 bed State Licensed Assisted Living Home with a very comfortable environment. We have a unique license to care for independent individuals as well as those requiring total care at an affordable cost. We provide escorted transportation to and from physician appointments and our doctors make good old fashion “house calls” – they come right into the manor to see our residents. Our Team of Visiting Physicians include a Psychiatrist who manages Alzheimer’s, Dementia, Anxiety, changes in behavior such as agitation, blunted emotions, repetitive or compulsive, problems with language, etc. At Burr Oak Manor our residents can age in place without having to relocate to another environment, regardless of change in medical condition. Our secure environment is protected by an externally monitored PerMar Security System as well as the Wander Guard Anti-Elopement System.

The monthly rate is all inclusive: nursing, 24/7 supervision, home cooked meals, nutritional snacks, laundry, housekeeping, activities, etc. Our environment and program play significant roles in the day to day well-being and happiness of each individual resident. We take pride in offering a full range of on-site activities including arts, crafts, bingo, painting, gardening, model airplanes, visits from local school children, pet therapy, reminiscent trivia, special guests performances by The Lakeland Players Orchestra, a Professional Elvis Impersonator (performances regularly throughout the year) and community outings including a summer Luau, ice cream social aboard The Bell of Lake Geneva, Jazz in the Park, Walworth County Fair, etc.

We have several different environments offering private and semi-private rooms as well as suites and studio apartments.