Brookdale West University - Houston, TX

“The Terrace at West University offers residents an opportunity to become involved and make new friends.” Located inside the inner loop in the heart of Houston, The Terrace at West University is conveniently located near the area’s best shopping and dining opportunities, as well as the medical center. The community is near the cross streets of Bissonnett and Westpark, behind one of the area’s best supermarkets.

The Terrace features a beauty shop, community room, lounge, private dining room, library, computer lab, fitness center, outdoor pool and hot tub. Our spacious apartment homes offer a variety of floor plans with full kitchens, ceiling fans, personalized thermostats, blinds, emergency pull cords, built-in shower seats and walk-in closets in select floor plans.

Our dining programs offer residents restaurant style dining featuring fresh and nutritional choices everyday. Meal time also offers a great opportunity to associate with existing friends and meet new ones. We want every meal to be a great dining experience, so the friendly and personal service in our dining rooms is unmatched. We offer both breakfast and lunch Monday through Friday.

Our award-winning Signature Programs offer a wide variety of top-notch programs and services to enhance our residents’ living experience. This includes our resident programs,which provide opportunities for residents to maintain an engaged lifestyle, pursue their interests, continue to learn, make friends and have fun. Among the residents’ favorite activities are Matter of Balance, Cup of Conversation, Poetry & Prose, all fitness programs and community outings. We also offer a fabulous brunch on both Saturday and Sunday. Sunday’s brunch has an omelet station and waffle station.

Call today to arrange a visit, and experience for yourself the meaningful lifestyle our residents enjoy every day.

Brookdale West University

I chose Brookdale West University because I wanted to be close to my job. Overall, I feel it has been a good experience, but I do feel there are some areas that could use improvement. I feel that that the food could be better, as sometimes, the meals are not so good. I also was hoping to find a place with more immediate medical help. There is an alarm system and a nurse on call, but I was hoping for more. I'm also not sure if the community has lifesaving equipment such as defibrillators or if the staff is trained to use them. I really do like the apartment they offered me. it's two one bedrooms joined together to make a two bedroom apartment. Overall, I feel that Brookdale is a good community, and I do appreciate its convenience.

Nice Place, but Confusing

We toured Brookdale while looking for options for my in-laws. Overall, I found it to be a very nice community, but I was worried by father-in-law would get lost there. I found the community set up confusing. I also felt that it was very expensive. We decided to find a satisfactory alternative instead.

Look Elsewhere - ROACHES!!!!!

Roaches! They are everywhere. My mothers places is infested.
Complaining does no good. They don't care.
Avoid this place at all cost. Do not let the pictures [Removed] you. This is an old run apartment complex. Many problems!!!!!

Pleasant Tour of This Facility

My wife, and I had a nice tour of this community. Everything went well, and everyone was very kind. The community was nice, and clean. The staff we met was friendly, and helpful. Our questions were answered, and it was a nice experience. However we did find another community that met our budget needs better.

Pleased

Mom is doing fine at this community. The staff are friendly. We did have some minor glitches in the beginning, however these have been resolved. She likes the food. The residents are nice and she has started making friends. I would recommend this community.

Don't Move Here! Roaches!!!!!!!!!!

Disgusting!!!!!

Roaches!!!!!

Don't move here. They don't care. They promise to spray. They never show up unless you go complain about them not showing up.

Old run down apartment complex. Many problems!

Don't move here!!!!!

Are new community for care

I like this community that we have moved into. The staff is outstanding. The community is big and we like the nice environment. We have meals are outstanding. We do participate in the activities. We would recommend this community to others for all the outstanding benefits of living here with the good value.

VERY GOOD PLACE TO LIVE

MY MOM MOVED IN JULY 1 AND EVERYTHING IS GOING VERY WELL SO FAR. THE PEOPLE ARE VERY FRIENDLY BOTH RESIDENTS AND STAFF. THE PLACE IS WELL KEPT AND IF SHE ASKS FOR SOME HELP WITH SOMETHING THEY ARE QUICK TO HELP. SHE IS JUST GETTING INTO THE ACTIVITIES THAT THEY HAVE TO DO BUT SO FAR IT IS GOING VERY WELL. THE HARDEST THING TO DO WAS GETTING 3000 SQ FT INTO 900 SQ FT AND 65 YEARS OF KEEP SAKES.

An ok community

The staff at this community were friendly. The caregivers were nice and took good care of my loved one. The food was not very good. They did keep the community clean and they offered some daily activities.

Lovely facility!

My experience so far with Brookdale has been great! The staff are willing to work with me as I make the move over to the facility. When I toured, the facility was just lovely! I feel very comfortable with my choice!
lovely

Broodale West U- A great choice for us

We have been very happy with this facility. My mom is a young 73 but and we were looking for a place for her to live. We wanted both a place for now and a place for the future. Mom is ecstatic with this place. Apartments are nice. Have been updated. Lots of choices of activities. The other residents have been very welcoming. My mom is making friends and getting involved. I get the impression that residents tend to stay there for a long time. Little turnover. There is a pretty much all she needs within walking distance (HEB, Walgreens, Starbucks lots of restaurants). They offer bus rides to other locations. If an when my mom needs more assistance, Brookdale offers those services. Mom is very happy with the monthly food allowance. It pretty much covers one meal a day and she does not find she needs more than that. Moving here has made helping her live on a budget but LIVE a whole lot easier. The Brookdale representative that helped us with move in (her name is Star) is fantastic.

Very nice place!

My loved one was only here for a brief stay, but our experience was a very positive one! The staff were friendly and extremely helpful, and the facility itself was very nice looking. They also appeared to have a good variety of activites, and my loved one had nothing but good things to say about the food!

Wonderful place for my Dad

Very nice place!

All of the Brookdale's that we saw had a similar layout. The staff were all very friendly and answered all of our questions. We had a wonderful tour of the place, Mother ended up choosing another community.

My mom loves it!

My mom is happy, she has made a lot of friends since her move here. She likes the people and their personalities, she loves the staff. Her apartment is comfortable and they provide housekeeping to help her maintain it. She mainly cooks her meals in her apartment but eats one meal a day provided by the community. She brags about how good they are to her friends. Overall she is happy, and so am I.

There is No Place Like Home

Brookdale West University is a beautiful community for Active and Non-Active seniors. I am thoroughly enjoying my new home.
The rooms are very spacious.
The food is delicious and can be eaten in a beautifully decorated and spacious dining room. There is even a fancy Bistro for take out or to just sit, eat and be merry.
My new neighbors are very nice to spend time with.
And last but not least, the grounds are gorgeous. There are fish ponds and lots of lush greenery.
It is truly a place where one can honestly say, "there is no place like home."

Accommodating staff!!

Right now, were trying to make adjustments for my mother to feel more comfortable with her move. The staff is great, they have really worked with my mother to make her feel at home. The cleanliness and upkeeping of the community is outstanding. As far as the meals, we are currently doing a combination of meals are provided as well as cooking in her apartment. Overall, things are going very good. The residents are very nice and they provide a variety of activities so the residents could make friends and interact.

A good care for my good friend.

This community is nice. I think it might be helpful is someone would be assigned to help the residents adjust to moving in. It seems to be a little confusing at times having different staff members due to the community looks the same in alot of areas. The food is good, but they need more fresher foods available. All around good care, but a few adjustments in the food. I would recommend others to come here for good care overall.

Best of The Best!!

I am adjusting fairly well in the community. The staff have all been wonderful and the care they have been providing is good. I would recommend the community to friends and family. The meals are healthy and well proportioned. The housekeeping is good they make sure everything is being cleaned properly in my room and in the community.

Another great Brookdale Community!

The community at Brookdale West University was well kept and clean throughout. The staff that offered the tour did well with sharing what the community has to offer. We really like the community and enjoy the Brookdale communities!

5 Stars All The Way!!

I can't begin to say how wonderful the staff and the community are. My loved one is happy that there is a ramp that makes it more accessible to him to get around. The community is always kept extraordinarily clean. One thing i really like is the positive atmosphere. I am so relieved to know that my loved one is safe and is surrounded by caring people.

Toured, friendly comfortable atmosphere

We toured this community while looking into options for a loved one. Brookdale Willowbrook Park seems like a nice place, overall! The facility is clean and well kept, and the people are friendly, We toured a few Brookdale communities, and in terms of aesthetics I thought this one was the nicest of the ones I saw! The commons areas and hallways were well decorated and gave the place a very comfortable feel!

The person that conducted the tour was friendly, helpful and knowledgable!!

Brookdale West University seemed dated when I took my tour. This community is only for independent living and was not the right fit for my mom. I just did not get as good a vibe as the one we chose.

Its An Absolute Amazing Place

My dad is living at this community that is basically a complex with support. The staff are absolutely friendly and welcoming. I have not heard a complaint about being dirty. My dad has done water aerobics, art program, and cell phone class, all great activities. Since my dad has his own car, he is still able to be active with his family. I would and have been recommending this community to many people who need a supportive community.

Nice place for my mom

Nice looking community with beautiful courtyards.

Great staff. Not so great layout of the community.

Things did not work out for us with my brother at Brookdale West University. It was difficult for an elderly person to get around, especially in the cold weather. The doors for the apartments are outside the building. It's courtyard style. It was easy to get lost if you took a wrong turn coming out of the cafeteria. The staff was great and would respond if he had a fall. The management was not so great. I think the commitment fee up front was steep. The food was okay. I would say it depends on a person's ability to determine if this place is a good fit.

A Independent lifestlye

After taking some time to help a friend, we found Brookdale for her. I haven't had a chance to fully experience the community but from what I've seen it is a very nice place. The staff is very friendly and welcoming when I've gone to visit her. I would recommend it to someone who is still looking to live a free independent lifestyle as a senior.

Going well

I haven't talked to my Mom in awhile, but as far as I know, things are going well so far. As far as I know there are no complaints with the staff or the facility at Brookdale and so far she is having a good experience.

They Do A Good Job

There was a little bit of a confusion when I decided on the apartment and I think it was just a communication thing, because she said it was ready and when I went there and it wasn't anywhere near ready. So I called them and they got it straightened out and got it ready on time and everything, so I don't know what the deal was, but since then I have not had any problems. If something happens, they deal with it very well.

could improve on the food

The people are very friendly at Brookdale West University. They seem to have a very good set up as far as looking out for her. They have a lot of things to keep the residents busy. They could improve on the food. It is the worst I have ever tasted. This really surprised me. The cook himself came out and talked us when I was visiting and was telling us all about his training. It was like institution food must have been 50 years ago. My sister has found out that salt is absolutely poison for her also. So she is really going to have a tough time eating there. I like the location. She close to a lot important things. She knows some of the residents there that she knew before she even moved in. I think this facility is going to be a really good place for her.

Comfortable Living in a Great Location

On value for the money, this place is great. The people are friendly, the grounds and exterior are well maintained and very pleasant to sit in or walk thru. The apartments have good living space. The bathrooms and kitchen are small relative to most houses but completely adequate. The food is good and has sufficient variety with both the dinning room and the bistro. More that adequate amenities such as pool, workout room, card rooms, etc. And the location in Houston is fantastic.

Overall, this is well above average, but it is not elegant living. For that you would pay at least 40% more. For us, a comfortable, friendly place with lots of activities and a great location is just what we wanted.

So far it's going just fine.

So far it's going just fine. The only complaint I really get is that they never have what's on the menu. The quality is okay, some things are better than others, some aren't great. The people have been friendly, and everything else has been good. She picked this place, I think because she liked the location, and she just liked it best.

Brookdale is doing a pretty good job.

Brookdale is doing a pretty good job. She seems to like it. They have lived up to all of our expectations. If there is one little issue, it would be the electronic method of getting payments in there. Some banks aren't set up to handle that as well as others and that can get a little quirky.

excellent

They are just excellent! I have a lovely apartment that is kept immaculately clean. All the people here are wonderful, and any time you need any information or have any requests, the staff are all there to help you in any way they can. They have made me feel so welcome and made it a very good experience. There is nothing negative I can possibly say about the place.

The location, grounds and closets are perfect. Kitchen is fairly small and counter space at the bath sink is almost non-existent. They don't have multi-level care at this location tho I do understand that one can shift over to one of their other locations such as Galleria as needed.

Mom's big move

My mother just moved in last week. So far, she loves it. The staff is attentive and responsive and very professional. The residents are friendly. It's close to a lot of stores so it doesn't feel isolated. There were some problems initially with the painting of her apartment, and then with the electricity, but that's been fixed. I am looking forward to seeing how she settles in over the next few weeks and months.

Beautiful place. Very big and a little more expensive ($200 a month) than those a further out. They include a $300 food voucher for the month instead of all three meals.

I'm satisfied with the service of Brookdale Plaza

Our experience with Brookdale West University has been a very good one. The entire staff have been very welcoming and accommodating.I'm satisfied with the service of Brookdale Plaza. I have no complaints or issues. They provide good quality care and overall I'm satisfied. The experience has been just fine. They really have gone above and beyond in every department. I highly recommend this facility!

Offer Incentive To Save Money.

Could use name tags for residents and advertise Brookdale so the residents also remember.. My mother is pretty picky but the meals are very good. This was the best location to me and my brother incentive to save money.

So far everything is going really well.

So far everything is going really well. The food is good, and the staff is good. They are very accommodating in the dining room if you have a request. So far I am very happy with it.

Wonderful Facility!

Our experience with Brookdale West University has been a very good one. We moved from out of state with my mother. The entire staff have been very welcoming and accommodating. The only issue we had was getting her housekeeping services started. That was quickly resolved and really was not a big deal. They really have gone above and beyond in every department. I highly recommend this facility!

My mother loved the location & size of apts. We never got formal tour, b/c office seems understaffed. Pricing is a bit too high, so would depend on specials for Jan & Feb. washer/dryer connection.

I'm satisfied with the service of Bro...

It’s a good.

It’s a good. It’s a good buy for the money. Nice location and very friendly community. The food is very good. They have good things like the Mother’s Day Buffet. It’s a clean community and the staff is very friendly.

After a visit yesterday, I ...

After a visit yesterday, I was impressed with the chief who spend time with me, and I enjoyed a lunch. But my disappointment was a $30 per MONTH for pets. It appears that the Terrace Administration is not aware of how important a pet is to the health of the elder person. A pet is a member of the family. I can understand payment a deposit and for any damages the pet may do. But it would be difficult for me to live in a place that charges so much for a pet.

Really Really Happy with The Terrace!

It's great! I really really am happy with it. I love the location, the activities, the amenities, and the cost. That's pretty much it - the cost was within our budget. We don't have any problems with them.

No Medical Person On Staff

My mother is there and she is perfectly happy. I think the food could be better. It should be tastier than it is. Although they are working on their dining room, still their food could be better.

Personally, I think they should have a medical person on staff for emergencies. My mother wasn't feeling good and it was a weekend and we had to call 911. I think that would be a really good thing for them to do. If they have a doctor on staff then maybe the people who want that service could have that service. I think that's a fair statement and I think it's important. Even though it's independent living, someone should be there. I think that would make all the difference. Maybe more people would want to move there.

Good for Transportation

They're really cleanly and the staff tries their best, I'll give em that. The cost is pretty good. It's kind of high but then again they all are. They clean the apartment once a week and the food is pretty good. I haven't done as many things as I would like to. They go out to eat on a monthly basis and they go places like the museum and other place I would be interested in. The only thing I have a problem with is some of the lifestyle changes. They're trying to be something they're not sometimes I think. Overall, they do a pretty good job. This was my first choice because they were close to the medical center and some other things. In Houston, this is probably the best place to be as far as transportation.

Fabulous for the right situation!

If you live in the best mansion in town and can't live alone, do you blame the mansion? After dealing with every kind of "Elderly" living (nursing homes to assisted living,) The Terrace is a breath of fresh air. Knowing what to look for, this was chosen on the spot for my father-in-law. He has mild dementia, but desperately wants to live alone. When the time comes, just as others living there, we will have medicaid help with home health services, until moving is the only option! He caused some problems elsewhere, so we told him this was the last stop, then nursing home. He is allowing them to clean once a wk and the 2 meals are wonderful, and enough for 2 people! I am vert impressed and so is he. It is more secure than average, yet thought has been taken to allow them to grocery shop easily next door. They have great outings (which he hasn't participated in) but they have called while I'm there to invite/remind. Never have I visited a place where SINCERELY the residents & staff say "I LOVE IT HERE,". My background immediately kicked in & I asked about the director. " SHE IS WONDERFUL". Bingo! The staff and residents show what trickles down from the top. This is an amazing place, and before any one puts it down, I recommend you putting your loved one elsewhere, and see what happens. This is a 55+ community. If your loved one fits the qualifications, they should love it here unless nothing pleases them. At 56 yrs old, we looked at 2 bedrooms...... No joke! Swimming, putting green, ponds, grassy picnic gazebos, transportation, parties, large rooms for family gatherings, special events, etc.... 2 meals and cleaning once a week.....upgraded apartments in every way- from refrig, stoves, counter tops in kit and bath, walk in showers, two pull cords for ER. And a phone to call anyone in SERVICE or a friend in the community...... And what is the complaint? I've seen wonderful staff treated bad, & my own FIL was one. After a firm talk, so far so good. I doubt there is a place that has 100% perfection in staff, but I love what I see and hear. The staff is very kind and helpful, and the sales ladies were very gracious! In fact, all receptionist have been outstanding. No need for boredom when you see their activity chart of the month! If you have been around the block a few times, this is where you will stop!

Very Independent!

It is a very independent living situation. My mother's particular situation is that she's lived on her own for a long time so she's having trouble getting used to the environment there. She hasn't engaged in any of the activities and I don't know if that's her or if it's that there is no encouragement from the staff. They've not pursuaded her to allow them to assist her in any way - she's telling them to get out and they're kind of glaring at her for that.

Their meal situation is very confusing. The written material and what they actually want people to do is contradictory. In fairness to them, they are in the process of changing their dining area.

My big thing is that it's very independent. I think it might be better for someone a little younger than my mother.

Working out great

My mom lives here. It's working out great so far. I think it's a good value. She likes the community and is happy with the food. There are all different types of activities available.

Drop in tour. Like the West U nearby ...

Drop in tour. Like the West U nearby amenities. All outdoor corridors. Head of Housekeeping took me for impromptu tour. No sense of 'center'. Big apartments, full kitchens, start at 1660. Breakfast and lunch M-F. Medical shuttle 3 x weekly. Some activities.

Like the West U nearby amenities. Al...

Like the West U nearby amenities. All outdoor corridors. Head of Housekeeping took me for impromptu tour. No sense of 'center'. Big apartments, full kitchens, start at 1660. Breakfast and lunch daily. Medical shuttle 3 x weekly. Some activities.

Opulent

Opulent

love it-location could be better

love it-location could be better

Difficult place if person is not tota...

Difficult place if person is not totally dependent. Food was not very good and rooms that face parking lot require shaded to be shut all the time so other people don't peer in.

Possible, but more like a facility fo...

Possible, but more like a facility for someone fully retired rather than one for someone like me who is still independent and working.

Location is more desireable, cost is ...

Location is more desireable, cost is less than Village on the Park, newer building, open floor plans.

Nice but near downtown, museum district.

Nice but near downtown, museum district.