Did not have to hold our breath after all.

Well, my siblings and I all agreed getting mom into an assisted living facility was NOT going to be a pleasant task......Boy were we wrong.
Bickford of Ames in Ames,Ia made the task SO EASY!! After years of " I'm not moving out of my house!", we were left wondering 'Huh? What just happened!'.
The staff there welcomed her with smiles and was especially welcoming to her which disarmed any misgivings that she had and now she is so happy. Thanx a million.

Very Satisfied With This Community, It Worked Out Well

This is a lovely community and they are doing a good job caring for my mother and her needs. I know she is safe and in good hands here. It is a nice and clean community, very well maintained. They have a very polite and friendly staff. There are nice activities offered for the residents. The meals are good. This is a very caring community, with very sweet people. I would highly recommend this community, it worked out very well for us.

Love the whole experience here.Really care about their residents.

Staff is very concientious

It was a good stay, we were very pleased with them.

It was a good stay, we were very pleased with them. Even the food was good, we got to eat with her a couple of times. The billing aspect went smoothly. We didn't have any concerns or complaints. I would give them a five.

Very nice place

I think they do a wonderful job at Bickford of Ames, we really had a great experience with them. They were just so caring and so helpful. They did everything they possibly could to make sure that my loved one was comfortable and well taken care of. I also really appreciated how good they were about keeping us up to date and staying in contact. I really can't say enough about them, I highly recommend them!

Lack of Compassion and More

My mother was here for 6 months and during that time I observed many things that were disturbing. The residents were treated with dignity BY THE COOK and that is all! The support staff was otherwise inattentive or condescending and were friendly only if a family member, such as myself, was around. Residents were allowed to sit up sleeping in their wheelchairs in the main lobby/living area for hours. It reminded me of an old-fashioned nursing home atmosphere where I volunteered as a teenager years ago. The only structured game time was "BINGO" and the "prizes" were always small pieces of candy bars, and most of the residents, including my mother, were diabetic!! Not an appropriate "prize" for most.

At a "family" meeting for all family members of the residents it was revealed that one of the residents did not like the "new look" the support staff was wearing--- indeed, most of the young CNAs and support staff were sporting the "goth" look by wearing black nail polish and dying their hair black, etc. Lots of heavy make up, etc. This resident told an administrator (supposedly in confidence) that the "new look" was scary and reminded her of witches. Well, this administrator TOLD the young staff what the resident had said and THEY got up in arms and said they didn't like being referred to as witches! Who did this administrator support? Not the residents, that's for sure!

The whole place was not run properly in my opinion, or even humanely. Residents were expected to line up in a tiny hallway before or after meals to receive their medication. Really? They all needed their meds at the same time each day? My mother died there and I wish I had had the means to at least have her pass in a place that cared for her as a person. This was not that place.

One more thing: There was a housekeeper there that went around to the residents to sell her baked goods at Christmas time, telling the residents that their family members would like to receive fresh baked goods from them (residents.) And for an EXTRA fee she would also do an EXTRA good job cleaning and dusting their room! This woman was not reprimanded for her behavior.

We began our quest into senior living because of our love for our beloved mother, Mary Bickford, whose needs became too great for us to manage. As we researched senior living options, we were shocked at our findings. The options offered too much or too little – none met her needs and nothing felt like home. Since we couldn’t find what we wanted, we decided to create what we needed. Our main desire was to create a place that helped her achieve an equivalent peace and happiness that she had earlier in her life.

We understand that selecting a senior living community for your loved one is one of the toughest decisions that you will ever face. We will work with you to ensure that the transition is as easy and comfortable as possible. Whether your loved one is at home, in the hospital or even in another state, we can work with your hospital, insurance company, and doctor to make your difficult decision easier on you and your family. Aging can be difficult – but we’ve also seen the beauty in aging. Our mother’s happiness inspired us. We created Bickford for her and now we’re devoted to serving yours. We look forward to meeting you soon.

Services