Avista North Mountain - Phoenix, AZ

The vision of Avista Senior Living North Mountain is family. We provide a friendly homelike environment where everyone knows their neighbor and we look out for each other. Friendship flourishes here as our caring staff embraces each resident with respect and dignity and recognizes the inherent worth of each individual.

We pride ourselves in being able to serve independent residents as well as those requiring support from our assisted living services. Individual care plans are drafted and monitored by the nursing staff according to the needs of each resident.

We want you to be at ease at Avista Senior Living North Mountain. That's why we offer a myriad of services and amenities to give you not only the comforts of home — but peace of mind, knowing that you have dedicated staff on-site 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, providing outstanding senior services in Phoenix, AZ.

From daily activities, organized outings, nutritional meals, a variety of exercise programs, and much more — Avista Senior Living North Mountain is here to provide you the finest senior living community in AZ. Our programs are individually designed for each senior living option. So whether you are seeking specialized care or a more independent living style of living, we'd love to welcome you or your loved one home to Avista at North Mountain.

Phoenix is the fifth-largest city in the United States and is known for its extremely warm weather, beautiful desert scenery, and bountiful Mexican food. If any of these interest you, Phoenix may be right up your alley.

City Info

Being one of the largest cities in the US, Phoenix has a lot of diversity. However, its warm temperatures and easygoing pace make it a premier destination for seniors.

- Walkability: Although Pheonix is one of the largest cities in America, it's still somewhat walkable. When compared to the other large cities in the United States, Phoenix ranks 31st in walkability. It's worth noting, however, that walking isn't the best option during summer when temperatures frequently surpass 100 degrees.

- Average age: The average age of Phoenix residents is 33.8 years, which is slightly younger than the average for Arizona and the US.

- Weather: Phoenix is one of the best places to live in the world if you enjoy warm weather. The summer months are typically filled with days warmer than 100 degrees, and the off season is still relatively warm. Phoenix has only had 1 inch of snow twice in its history.

- Veterans: There are plenty of veteran's facilities in Phoenix, so vets will have no problem transitioning to this city.

Transportation

Public transportation isn't the greatest in Phoenix, but there are still some options if you don't want to walk or drive. Overall, Phoenix is probably a bit below average when it comes to public transportation.

- Buses: Valley Metro handles bus transportation in Phoenix, offering a variety of routes for people living in the greater Phoenix area. This is a solid option if you don't mind riding the bus with others.

- Trains: Phoenix has a 26-mile light rail line which is also operated by Valley Metro. This can take you to the airport, your favorite restaurant, or a different part of town for a quick walk.

- Taxis: As is the case with most cities, Phoenix has privately operated taxis which you can also use to get around.

Health and Safety

Finding a city with plenty of hospitals, doctors, specialists and other medical facilities is important for senior living. Luckily, Phoenix, AZ, has myriad choices to keep you in good health.

- Hospitals: You have lots of choices when it comes to hospitals in Phoenix, but the John C. Lincoln Medical Center is among the largest in the 85020 zip code.

- Crime rate: When it comes to crime rates, Phoenix is a bit higher than average. On a 1 to 100 scale, they are at 54 for violent crimes and 56 for property crimes. The US averages are 31.1 and 38.1, respectively.

Sports and Leisure

Part of choosing a good senior living facility is finding one where you can also have some fun. Phoenix has plenty of activities that can keep you in shape and enjoying your days as a senior.

- Golf: If you love to golf, this is a good place to be. Phoenix is home to plenty of golf courses and clubs, including Lookout Mountain, Cave Creek, Glen Lakes, and Stonecreek.

- Tennis: Is tennis more your speed? There are plenty of tennis courts€”both public and private€”within a few miles of Avista.

- Gyms: You may need to take a drive or bus ride to get to them, but there are plenty of gyms in Phoenix, including many with programs for seniors, such as Ability360.

Shopping and Entertainment

As one of the largest cities in the country, Phoenix has plenty to offer in the way of shopping.

- Clothes: Phoenix has a huge variety of clothing stores to shop at, with everything from thrift stores and vintage clothing stores to designer boutiques and cowboy-themed clothing stores.

- Groceries: There are a few different options for grocery shopping near Avista, including Walmart, Albertsons, Safeway, and some smaller markets.

- Other restaurants: Without straying too far from home, you have plenty of restaurant options. These include Mexican cafes, fast food, pizza, Greek food, and more.

- Movie theaters: There are a few different movie theaters close to Avista if you ever want to catch a movie. There's even a drive-in theater if you're willing to take the trip.

- Libraries: If you like to read, you're just a short walk or bus ride from the Acacia Library, a mid-sized public library with a good selection.

- Attractions: Between the size of the city and the natural beauty that surrounds it, there's plenty to do in Phoenix. You can take a walk through one of the many public mountain areas, take a tour, or go see the bats swarm out of their cave.

Religious Facilities

- Religious facilities nearby: Whatever your religion, you can find a church nearby in Phoenix. Some of the churches close to Avista include Baptist churches, a Presbyterian church, a Baha'i center, a Mennonite church and more.

This place offers nice big private rooms. The food is great and the staff are kind.

I love this community!

Avista Cares!

Avista team members are attentive and it is welcoming every time I come to visit

Super Friendly Lobby

This community has a very friendly vibe which you feel when you first walk in. The lobby is always active with residents playing games or visiting. No one could be lonely here! The staff are caring and professional. This is also a great value in Phoenix.

Great team and Great community!

Great team and Great community!

Memory Unit

My husband [Removed], granddaughter [Removed], our puppy and I arrived at Avista Senior Living North Mountain on August 26, 2016 at 5:50 PM. When we arrived to the second floor Memory Unit I looked for my mom in the TV room. When I didn’t see her in there I asked the care giver at the med station where my mom was she told me that she was in her room. She said my mom refused to get out of bed all day. I asked if she had eaten dinner and she said no. I asked if she had eaten breakfast and lunch she said no.
When I walked into my mother’s room I was overwhelmed with the smell of urine. I went back to the caregiver and asked her to go into my mother’s room and clean her up. My mom was compliant with the caregiver. I went into the dining room to wait for my mom to come out for dinner.
When the caregiver brought my mom out to me, she sat her down next to me in the dining room and walked away. I went after her and asked her if my mom was going to have dinner. She went into the refridgerator and pulled out a basket, she put it down in front of my mom and lifted the plastic wrap. There was a ham sandwich which consisted of two pieces of dry white bread, 1 slice of ham and a wilted piece of lettace and then some soggy potato chips. I asked the caregiver if there was something else for her to eat and she said no, she missed dinner. The food looked like it was a couple of days old.
This ordeal took time away from me being able to spend time with my mother. Every time I visited my mother I would find her sitting in a soiled pull-up with her pants soaked also. I would have to wait for her to be cleaned up so each time I was at Avista North Mountain this taking time away from my visits with my mother.
I moved my mother out of Avista Senior Living on Sunday, October 23, 2016. When I arrived my mother was in the TV room. I told her I was there to take her back home. We went into her living area to begin the moving process when I noticed that her pants were completely soaked. I had to go into her restroom to clean her up. I was not in the room when my husband and friend packed my moms belongings. It was not until I got home in Prescott and unpacked her clothes that I found that half of her clothes were missing, a set of sheets were missing and 2 reusable pad protectors were missing. I found clothes and belongings from other clients in my mom's belongings. I sent an email to Jennifer Keyes On-site LPN on October 24, 2016:
Hi Jennifer,
I moved my mother, [Removed] out of Avista yesterday morning. She is missing clothes, bedding and towels. In her dresser drawers were a pair of men's shorts, a pair of men's pajama bottoms, a pair of men's boxers, a women's 4X shirt, a pair of very small women's pants, 2 towels and a wash cloth, 2 unfitted sheets, and 2 pillow cases, all of which did not belong to her.
Could you please look into where the rest of her belongings may be?
When I arrived she was sitting in the TV area totally soaked in urine. I had to take her into her restroom and change her briefs and pants. Her hair looked like it hadn't been washed in weeks, her medical bracelets from the hospital were still on her wrists (she was released on Oct. 8th). When I undressed her to give her a shower at my home I found she still had an ekg monitor adhered under her left breast. (No response from Jennifer Keyes).
My mother had a fall on October 5, 2016 while walking by herself down the hallway. She was considered a fall risk so she should have been guided by a provider. She hit her head on the wall and immediately a bruise and bump formed because she was on Warfarin. She was transported to Honor Health North Mountain that evening. She was in the hospital until October 8, 2016. I went down to Phoenix on October 10 to visit her and she was bruised in both eyes and then there was a bruise around her throat and down her left shoulder.
I was not notified that my mother was prescribed Lorazapam on July 27, 2016, this is a psychotropic medication. Why was this prescribed?

Short On Staff

I think they were just short on help because my parents were in the memory care unit and they did not have a lot of activities for them. Some of the caregivers were really good, but they were just overworked.

Not good

What they offer and what they say they offer are different things.

It’s not kept clean. I don’t think they have much of a selection on the food. They are drastically understaffed. There is plenty of parking. They need to do a lot to bring the standards up. We use the memory care services. They don’t have any activities in the memory care unit. They don’t perform building maintenance very quickly.

Older, nice rooms, seem ver...

Older, nice rooms, seem very accomodating, just redone, dog park, tori filled in for scott and was really helpful..a bit far from us though

Candice Fine

We do try to be very accommodating - thank you. Our community is dog-friendly and our rooms are nice. Our Team Members are happy to help in any way.

Attractive & clean. Interio...

Attractive & clean. Interior access only. Graduated residence: independent to assisted to memory care. A community (buy-in?) fee. Nice apartment but tight entrance. Nice grounds. Pretty dining hall & lobbies.

Candice Fine

Thank you! We do have a modest community fee, but it is not a buy-in. We agree that we have a pretty dining hall and lobbies. You are also correct people can live in our community from Independent, through Assisted Living and Memory Care.

I really like this place. Nicely deco...

I really like this place. Nicely decorated older facility that has been kept up and updated. Very nice staff.

Candice Fine

Thanks for noticing our efforts to keep things updated! We have put a lot into the building recently (new hallway flooring, new hallway paint, new dining room and activity room flooring and paint)! We love our residents and want their home looking great.