American Senior Communities - Indianapolis, IN

The buildings at American Village are old and are not up to date. For example the floors in some buildings are hardwood on a concrete floor, and patients who fall suffer injuries. The carpet is also thin and doesn't have adequate padding in many of the areas .In some buildings there are no adequate guard rails that patients could use if some assistance with walking is needed at times. The plumbing backs up frequently at least in one building possibly some of the other buildings, too. Toilet water was removed with an industrial vacuum, carpet shampooed, and warm or cold industrial fan used to dry the carpet while resident remained in the room. The standard answer by staff members as to why toilets back up is that patients/residents put things in toilets that shouldn't be there.However due to the age of the buildings and possible contractor issues when the buildings were built, perhaps there are other reasons for the malfunction. Many residents complain about the food. It appears to be prepackaged meals that are warmed up. Sandwiches are often too large , cumbersome, and difficult to pick up and handle .Condiments, to make the sandwiches more appetizing, are not always available. Heart healthy, brain healthy diets are not used and most of meals are high fat meals. Although the lack of a healthy diet is probably true of most facilities that are available for seniors. Robber suspects from nearby businesses are frequently apprehended on the campus. Police are regularly called. Shots have been heard. Custodial staff was required to check rooms and closets.The resident I knew lacked yearly exams , and needed glasses and dental work .No attempt was made to ask the caretaker in order to discuss the lack of medical exams etc. with a social worker on the campus. I would recommend this facility for medicaid patients but if you have adequate retirement and want an apartment or assisted arrangement , I would look elsewhere. The locked wards are recessed and not available to the general public. As one staff member said -- "The locked wards at American Village are not healthy places to be." If your relative or friend is placed in one of them due to the need for medicaid , I would suggest frequent visitations as well as making sure the relative frequently gets off the campus for some normal interactions and experiences and gets a chance to experience something other than watching the LPNs at the nurses station sort pills. Showers and whatever are all done to the patient even if the patient still has some of these skills.Rooms are not used during the day if patient is unable to find their room and versatile stimulating activity on the ward is minimal for those who can still benefit from it.Closets in rooms are often locked as well as the small kitchen located in the closet . Patient is not allowed to use those conveniences. Not all patients on the ward are chronically lacking skills. It's psychologically suffocating to those who do have some skills left! There is no intermediate level of care for those who are not ready for the austerity found on the Wards. look elsewhere if you would like an intermediate level , they do exist in some of the modern facilities. I also advise looking at some of the more modern up to date facilities if your relative has an adequate retirement program. Do not settle for outdated resources and facilities if money is available for modern facilities and better programs. I have had the experience of being a caretaker for two relatives for 8 years. I found the appropriate intermediate facilities necessary in order to stave off the eventual dreaded locked ward. One relative with increasing dementia had to eventually be placed in a locked ward, on medicaid for about a year and a half and the other one with mild dementia stayed at the intermediate level until he died of heart problems at 87 years of age. The one on the locked ward died of dehydration and I did warn the LPNs about possible dehydration and they ignored me . Even the doctor refused to listen and said don't call the office again. She was rushed to St. Vincents Emergency room one night and her sodium level was so high that nothing could be done to reverse it.She died at 83 years. I was at both facilities almost every night to check on them.You are betraying your own life if you don't say honestly what you think and bluntly~Charles Krauthammer

Very nice! We met lots of residents while on our tour and everyone was so friendly and encouraging to my in-laws. It was clean, decor was nice, grounds are gorgeous. Really like that you can apartments have washer/dryer hookups. On the downside: Mom felt the closets were small and too much space is given to the kitchen—especially when your meals are provided! We ate dinner here. Staff was so friendly. Portions were good, but Mom didn’t like the food—said she could tell it was frozen, pre-packaged rather than made fresh.

Things are fine

Mom seems to be doing well since moving into this community. The staff are friendly and the food seems ok. They keep the community clean. She has not had any complaints so far.

Not an options for us..

I did not tour American Village, but my mother had been there for rehabilitation before. It was not something that would be an option for her.

Review of American Village - Indianapolis, IN

It is on my final list. I liked the area and the apartment was very nice. I also liked the houses very much but for me they were too far from the action.

Perfect for what we were looking for. Independent Living facility is a step below a traditional IL building but above assisted living. She's not quite ready for AL. Allows super independence but with great added perks. Price is the best we came across for the included amenities.

I have been a resident of American Village for several years; first in the garden homes and now in the independent apartments. I love it here! There's always something to do- you can't not have a nice time.

My Life in American Village: A One !

My husband and I moved to American Village in 2007 while we were still able and driving. We made friends and enjoyed the activities. After four years my husband passed away and I was grateful to have a host of friends and acquaintances to support me and comfort me. I find the residents and staff are friendly and warm. The food is very good and accommodations comfortable. Now I can no longer drive and take advantage of the transportation provided here. I can get to the grocery and other shopping, doctor appts.etc. conveniently. The management, office attendants and food servers are beyond efficient. They know us personally and cater to our requests promptly.
I am grateful to live in a safe, clean supportive place.
I'm sorry another visitor was not pleased as I can negate every objection he/she made.

Did not have a good experience here

We did not have a great experience at this community. It is very large, and the care felt unfocused and impersonal. It was hard to get in touch with the management, and i general they were just rude and mean. It was obviously just a job to them, and they weren't treating the residents like human beings, just bits of paperwork for them to manage.

Caring people make the difference at American Village in Central Indiana. Our community provides high quality nursing care and skilled nursing to seniors in Indianapolis. We pride ourselves on being welcoming, a fact you can feel the minute you walk into our community and meet our staff. They are experts at senior healthcare who are not just doing a job, but following a calling. They are here to help you and your family find answers, solutions and peace of mind. In fact, they become an extension of your family.
American Village offers a full continuum of senior housing and healthcare solutions designed to accommodate a diversity of lifestyle choices and healthcare needs.