American House Lakeside Senior Living - Clinton Township, MI

Might not be the best fit.

This is all so brand new to us, finding a place that is a good fit for our loved one. We were not aware that the medical team here is separate from the community and the services required are charged a la carte. The staff is friendly and caring but this community is more residents who are active and need little care. There are activities provided for the residents to participate in. The environment is warm and inviting. The dining room is very nice and the meals that they serve are okay. At this point of my mom's life, she does not eat a lot. We think at this time she needs a lot more care than this community can provide.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for taking the time to tour with us. Overall, we're happy to hear you received the information you needed in order to make an informed decision. Thank you for your feedback.

Staff for care

I toured this community for my father's care. I was not very pleased with the person in charge of the tour. I felt like she did not want to help me with the questions that I had on the care that was offered here. I liked the cleanliness of the community. The menu was nice. We feel like there is staff that could be helpful to my needs for care. Families might find this community to be what they are looking for.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for taking the time to tour with us. It is always our hope, when choosing a senior living community, visitors find American House and our team members warm and inviting. We encourage you to contact us if you left with unanswered questions and hope you will give us an opportunity to address any concerns you may have. We appreciate your feedback.

Tour Was A Good One

We had a good tour of this community, everything went overall. The community looked nice from what I saw, everything was very nice, and clean. The staff I met was kind, and helpful. They were informative, and my questions were answered. The experience was a good one.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for taking the time to tour with us. We appreciate your feedback and we're glad to hear you had a pleasant experience.

Making the Move Soon to This Community

My love one will be making the move to this community pretty soon. I will be comfortable with her move to this facility because it is a nice place. The staff is kind, and friendly. The community looks nice, they do a good job with the cleanliness around the community. They offer a tax credit, and that is convenient for us.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for your 4-star review. We appreciate your feedback and we're glad to hear we'll be welcoming your loved one to our community soon!

Mom's Great Care

I like the care at this community. We liked that the staff keeps us informed on her progress. We like knowing that the community is clean and maintained. My mom seems to be happy here and that makes us happy to know that she is getting great care. We would recommend this community for the care of and value of a loved one.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank your for your 5-star review of American House Lakeside! We appreciate your feedback and we're glad to know both you AND mom are happy with our community.

Nice Experience, but Not the Right Fit for Us

My family, and I had a nice tour of this community. Everyone was kind, and everything went well overall. From what we were shown the community looked nice. The staff we met was polite, and our questions were answered. One concern was that they told us they have assigned seating. I did not like that idea, I felt like it limited the residents getting to know each other. It was a good experience, but this wasn't the right for us.

Cleanliness Needs Improvement

I was not impressed with my tour of this community. The appearance of the community could had been better. From what I saw they need to do a better job with the cleanliness of the community.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for your review of this community. Your feedback has been noted, and is appreciated.

A Nice Tour And A Long Waiting List

I liked seeing all the extra amenities this community has. I had a nice tour but after getting the details about them, I found that they are too expensive. They have a voucher program for qualified residents but there was a longer waiting list. All communities could make it more affordable for families.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for touring our Lakeside community - we appreciate your feedback. Rent at American House Lakeside is comparable to other communities in the area. Our residents' monthly rent includes all meals, activities, outings, social events and the community offers additional services should the need arise.

Too Expensive, but Tour Went Well

I had a good tour of this community. The staff was kind, and friendly. The community looked nice, and well maintained. Everyone was very kind to my family, and I. The experience went well, but unfortunately their rates were to expensive for our budget.

American House Senior Living Communities

We appreciate your feedback, and are glad you were able to visit American House Lakeside. Our rent is comparable to other communities in the area. Our residents' monthly rent includes all meals, activities, outings, social events and the community offers additional services should the need arise.

Not a good fit for my loved one...

We toured this community when looking for my mother and it seemed very institutional.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for touring our community. We strive to create and maintain a warm and inviting environment for our residents and visitors. We will certainly consider your assessment and appreciate your feedback.

Wasn't Impressed with Our Tour

We were not impressed with our tour of this community. It felt like our tour was rushed; we were out of there within ten minutes. Our tour guide didn't seem very interested in the community, or us. It was not a community we would had felt comfortable placing my father.

I like the care that my mom is getting here. the staff is very nice. The food has gotten better from when we first moved in. She is very happy with the activities that are offered. They have small trips outside of the community and she really enjoys them. the community is very clean. We would recommend this community for the care and value for a loved one.

Staff has been so helpful –Veronica has been special.

I don't know that anything is ever perfect, but this is good.

I would say she is happy. I don't know that anything is ever perfect, but this is good. I think the activity level is good. They have the bus that takes them to the store and such, and she has done that a couple of times. People have been generally welcoming and friendly. The leasing agent could have done a slightly better job of explaining all the additional fees. She loves the houskeeping aspect. She was a little disappointed that some of the things she has seen other places aren't offered or done the same here, but it would be nice if they could take a small carton of milk or a piece of fruit with them back to their room, and while they do have a general store there where everything is a dollar, it would still be nice if they could just take a piece of fruit.

Not happy with this place

My loved one lived here 4 years. Meals are awful. There is not a real chef. Food is cold, overdone, dry and not as posted on the menu or skimpy helpings frequently. Coffee is not refilled and servers are snippy and at times just rude. Employees in dining room just don't seem to care. Med team seems to just want to ship everyone to the hospital and won't even help someone to their apartment if they are not paid special for it. Building is very cold at times, especially the so called library that has one book shelf in it. Very dissatisfied. Cleaning is ok, but surface cleaning only. Office staff is very nice. What you get for the outrageous rent is not worth it at all.

I find my living here satisfactory. My room are especially clean. The help is very polite which means a lot. The office help is great.
L. Monendo

Nice looking place, not the best fit for us

We toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. I thought American House was a very nice looking place! The facility was clean and well kept, and the staff seemed friendly and caring. However, I don't think it would have been the best fit for Mom. It's a large community, and it would have been difficult for my loved one to get around.

Toured

I toured this community while looking into senior living options for a loved one. The facility was well kept and clean, and all of the staff I met seemed friendly and professional. We ended up selecting another community, but this is somewhere I would have considered as an option for my loved one.

I like it, I think it's a really nice place.

I like it, I think it's a really nice place. Mom seems to like it. She hasn't complained about food, and has met some people that she likes and gets along with. She seems to be doing really well. We chose them because it seemed to be the best fit for her.

Very nice place

They do a great job at American House Lakeside. The people here are all very friendly, the food is good, and they take great care of the people who live here. I toured quite a few options in the area and when I walked into this place I knew it was the one, it just has a really friendly welcoming atmosphere. I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking in the area!

American House Senior Living Communities

Thanks for your positive review and recommendation. Our staff is delighted to hear they’re doing such a great job! We look forward to having you join our community knowing you will find many new friends and years of enjoyment. My door is always open if you ever need anything. Warm regards, Aubrey Brohl, Executive Director

Nice place, overall

Overall I think they do a good job at American House Lakeside! The place has an open, airy, bright feel to it, and it is always very clean. The staff is friendly and welcoming, and they really do a great job making new residents feel at home! We've had a few issues regarding communication and keeping track of my loved ones, but nothing too major.

American House Senior Living Communities

Your kind words and the time you took to share them with us are much appreciated. I’d like to apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced. We are always looking for ways to improve and I will review these topics with staff and take the necessary steps to correct these issues. If you ever need to speak with me directly my door is always open. Warm regards, Aubrey Brohl, Executive Director

Friendly, helpful staff!

Overall we are very pleased with our experience at American House Lakeside! The facility itself is beautiful, clean, and well kept, and they do a great job helping the people who live here! The staff are all very knowledgeable and friendly, and we really appreciate the help they've given us looking into financial aid programs.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for your feedback! We're so happy to hear that the American House Lakeside staff provided an excellent experience for you! If there's anything else we can do, please contact us!

Aubrey Brohl, executive director

Nice looking place

We visited this community when we were looking into care options for a loved one. I thought this seemed like a very nice place overall! The staff were friendly, and it looked like they had a lot to offer the residents. The facility itself was clean, and the apartments looked nice and recently modernized.

American House Senior Living Communities

We aim to make our community very welcoming and just like
home. That's why we have a lot to offer residents, including a vast
amount of varied and unique activities -- including crafts and other
exciting opportunities to socialize! Please call me if I can answer
any questions.
Aubrey Brohl, Executive Director

The minute I walked into the facility I knew it was a comfortable, welcoming, safe, and happy environment. The residents appeared to enjoy their surroundings. I cannot say enough about Marilyn. She was thorough, and made certain I had everything I needed to be comfortable with any choice I would make. The 1-bedroom units were perfectly laid out space, the dining room was inviting. It was obvious that every decision made is done for the benefit of the residents in the community.

American House Senior Living Communities

Sometimes when you know, you just know! I’m so happy our community was like that for you. How wonderful that Marilyn was able to help you so thoroughly; I’ll be sure to pass along your praise! If you should need anything, or have any questions, stop by and visit me any time.

Aubrey Brohl, Executive Director

Felt this is the place for ...

Felt this is the place for my sister. Deposit posted & awaiting call back & trying to work out apt. with our needed date!

American House Senior Living Communities

How exciting! Hoping your sister loves her new home here. If you or your sister ever need anything, please contact me personally and I’ll be glad to see how I can assist you.
Aubrey Brohl, Executive Director

People very friendly, and t...

People very friendly, and the home is close to family and friends (including us) The brother really liked this and that helped us make the decision also.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you very much for your kind words! We are so pleased to hear about your relative's happiness living at American House. It's always great when family and friends live close-by to help residents make the transition. If there's anything either myself or our staff can do for you anytime, please feel free to call. Thanks again.

[removed]

good value

I liked the appearance of the facility inside and out, and the room layouts, and lounge areas, but there was not much dedicated outdoor space for lounging around or gardening. The food is fair and served at prescribed hours, nothing available throughout the day. The staff seem happy and genuinely friendly toward residents and their families. I think it is a good value for the money.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thank you for leaving you feedback! We strive to provide a
great value while not compromising care and services for our residents
– and our staff are definitely great, aren’t they?
Residents enjoy three full meals a day with a light snack provided in the evening.
If you’re interested in gardening, you can stop in and see me and we can see
what we can do to help.
Aubrey Brohl, Executive Director

They listen to their residents and treat them really well.

They have a lot of stuff going on all the time, and they are good about letting the residents know what's going on, it's posted all over the walls too. I would like to see them have a breakfast meal, right now it's just dinner and supper. The food quality was good at first but then things were being served cold and they had a meeting and some residents spoke up, they haven't had one meal since, that wasn't sent out hot. The sales staff is really good, they explain things really well. They seem to really care about the residents.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thanks for noticing how hard we work to make sure our
residents are happy and having fun! We do really care about them. If
there is ever another concern, please contact me directly and I'd be
happy to talk to you about it to see what can be done.
Aubrey Brohl
Executive Director

Great if you're independent

My mother in law was living here by herself but we all felt that she needed more care than what they had there. They keep an eye on you but it's not really around the clock care. It was more like an apartment, they're pretty much on their own there. My mother in law loved it and it was hard to get her to go there, she wanted to stay in her house and she fought it. There was a lot of yelling and fighting for a while. The day we moved all her stuff over there and all her furniture it pretty much looked like home, but the end of the day she was getting more okay with it and within a couple of days she was sayig it was a really nice place.
I would recommend American House for somebody that doesn't need the extra care, who's more independent but they're there if you need them.

American House Senior Living Communities

Transitioning out of a familiar home can be a tough time for anyone, but I’m glad your mother in law is acclimating nicely. I hope the staff and I have helped in the transition – if she’s still having trouble or missing home, you might want to read our Tips to Ease the Transition into a Senior Living Community. Let us know if we can ever do anything to help your mother in law or your family!

Aubrey Brohl
Executive Director
[removed]

The AH had the wow factor when enteri...

The AH had the wow factor when entering the front door, 2 bedroom was very nice, dining area big enough for 4 person, that is a plus

American House Senior Living Communities

Wow, the “wow” factor! One of our best compliments ever — thanks! Sincerely, Laura Broecker, Executive Director

This is the type of facility we need ...

This is the type of facility we need but it's too expensive for us

American House Senior Living Communities

Please give me a call so we can discuss what your needs are and if any of our other communities may be a good fit for you! Laura Broecker, Executive Director [removed].

Too far and no locked doors for demen...

Too far and no locked doors for dementia.

American House Senior Living Communities

We do have other American House communities that may better meet your needs — including a dedicated Memory Care unit at American House Elmwood. I’d be happy to direct you to one of our locations. Sincerely, Laura Broecker, Executive Director [removed]

Great views, some private terraces, n...

Great views, some private terraces, nice updates - very nice over all! Enjoyed meeting staff.

American House Senior Living Communities

Thanks for leaving your feedback! Glad you noticed our wonderful staff, updates and that you appreciate the views as much as we do. Thank you, Laura Broecker, Executive Director

We arrived on time anticipating that ...

We arrived on time anticipating that we would have both lunch and a tour (noon). Through a communication glitch, our arrival was more of a surprise. Even unannounced, director graciously welcomed us in and gathered information from Mom. We did not have lunch, but did get an invitation to return for a meal at a later date. Sharon showed us the dinning room and meal choices, the laundry room, chapel, and then a one bedroom and two bedroom apartment. Mom really liked the one bedroom apartment and seemed to respond positively to everything that the director talked about.

American House Senior Living Communities

I apologize for the rescheduling and hope you were able to come back out for your lunch! Thank you for leaving your feedback and letting us know that your mom was pleased with our community here. If you or your mom ever have any questions, please don’t hesitate to give me a call! Laura Broecker, Executive Director [removed]

Comprised of two buildings at the heart of Macomb County's thriving Lakeside area, American House Lakeside is ideally situated near family, friends, shopping, and familiar medical professionals in Clinton Township, Utica, Macomb Township, and Mt. Clemens. American House Clinton Township is also located close to hospitals including Henry Ford Macomb Hospital, St. Joseph Mercy of Macomb, and Mount Clemens Regional Medical Center. Lakeside Senior Living in Clinton Township provides Independent Living with assistance available.*

Apartment options at Lakeside Senior Living include 1 and 2 bedrooms - all with full kitchens and private baths. Property amenities include a dining room, beauty salon/barber shop, activity room and much more.

Restaurant-style dining is available for breakfast, lunch and dinner. An Life Enrichment Director plans a wide range of cultural, social and recreational activities and trips. Resident Services also include housekeeping, scheduled transportation and laundry is also available.

*Medical support services provided by a third party not affiliated with American House.

The American House Lakeside Senior Living facility is in the Clinton Township in Macomb County, Michigan and is part of the greater Detroit Metro area. Clinton Township has a population of just under 100,000 residents and is located on the main branch of the Clinton River.

City Information

- Walkability Score: 39, Clinton is heavily car dependent.

- Average Age of Community Members: 40. 14.3 percent of the population is over 65.

- There are many Senior retirement facilities in Clinton with ten assisted living locations sharing the same zip code as the American House.

- Average Weather: Temperatures are an average high of 73 degrees during the warmer months and a low of 26 degrees during the winter. The annual high is 56 degrees. The annual low is 40 degrees.

- Veteran Facilities: Clinton Township Veterans Center (42621 Garfield Road. Suite 105, Clinton Township, Michigan 48038) Phone number: 506-412-0107. Macomb County Veteran Center, Macomb County Veterans Affairs, Vietnam Veterans of America all have offices in Macomb County.

Transportation

The Clinton Township is very dependent on cars to get around the area. However, the Ride Smart program is the everywhere connection and gets residents where they need and want to go and delivering them curb to curb. Ride Smart http://www.myride2.com/transit_providers/clinton-township-senior-citizen-activity-center/provides scheduled transportation to medical appointments, shopping, recreation and leisure events. Reservations are required. To apply for this service call 586-286-9746 or for an after-hours emergency service bus call 586-468-0577.

- Buses: Ride Smart, Detroit Department of Transportation (DDOT) https://www.smartbus.org/Services/Services-By-Community/Clinton-Twp

- Trains: Amtrak (ROY) domestic interstate travel service is available in the neighboring town of Royal Oak at 202 South Sherman Drive, Royal Oak, Michigan 48067. https://www.amtrak.com/content/amtrak/en-us/stations/roy.html

- Taxis: Shamrock Cab Company (586-777-1111), Suburban Taxi-Cab (586-598-9898), Alpha Taxi (586-244-7028).

- Ride Shares: Download the Lyft Application to your phone at www.lyft.com Download the Uber Application to your phone at www.uber.com

Health and Safety

The Clinton Township is 22 percent safer than other U.S. cities of its size. The convenient location to Detroit has made the area a destination for many health care and hospital service options.

- Safest Neighborhoods: 17 Mile Road, Hayes Road, Town Center, Donahue Drive, Romeo Plank Road, Cass Avenue, Garfield Road, Faulman Road, Heyedenreich Road, Hall Road, Clinton River Road, Canal Road, Green Valley Drive, 19 Mile Road.

- Hospitals: Henry Ford Macomb Hospital, Children's Hospital of Michigan, Stilson Specialty Center at Clinton Township, McLaren Macomb General Hospital, Beaumont Medical Center, St. John Medical Center.

Sports and Leisure

The Clinton Township Senior Adult Life Center offers elders a wide range of educational, cultural, travel and recreational opportunities like: soccer, flag football, baseball, softball, basketball, kickball, speed dating, cards, tennis, Bocce ball, badminton, table tennis, volleyball, outings to the zoo, Medicare education, safety seminars, spa services and travel all over the world.

- Golf Course Nearby: Fern Hill Golf Club, Rammler Golf Club, St. Clair Shores Golf Club and the Plum Brook Golf Club are all a short commute away from the American House facility.

- Tennis Courts and Tennis Clubs nearby: The Clinton Township Senior Adult Life Center, Peachtree Tennis Club, Civic Center Park, Neil Reid Park, Freedom Hill Park, Kyte Monroe Park and Veteran Memorial Park all have tennis courts available for public use. Private locations may charge a fee.

- Senior Friendly Gyms Nearby: The Clinton Township Senior Adult Life Center has a wide program of recreational and athletic courses and teams. The American House Lakeside Senior Living Facility also features a fitness center. Switch Crossfit, Fitness Gym are both subscription gyms close to the community.

Shopping and Entertainment

- Clothes and Shopping options: The Mall at Partridge Creek has a Nordstroms, Aldo, Apple, Banana Republic, Bath and Body Works. There's also a Target, Kmart, L.L. Bean, Carson's, Community Thrift Store, Lakeside Mall and the Regional Shopping Center both offer more stores.

- Grocery Stores: Walmart, Randazzo Fresh Market, Value Center Marketplace, Save-A-Lot, Farmer's Market Inc, Harper-Center Market, Heflings Amish Farm Market, and Vince and Joe's Gourmet Market.

- There are no Luby's in the area.

- Restaurants: Sajos of Clinton, P.F. Changs, Juan Miguel's, Aurellios Italian Grill, Green Lantern, Luciano's Italian Restaurant, Aurora's Family Restaurant, Blackfinn Pub.

- Movie Theaters: AMC Star Gratiot 21, Partridge Creek Digital Cinema 14.

- Library: The Clinton Macomb Library has many branches in the Township.

- Senior Friendly Salons: There is an on-site beauty salon and barber shop at the American House and the Clinton Township Senior Center also has a beauty salon.

- Attractions: The Mall at Partridge Park, George George Memorial Park, Albert L. Lorenzo Cultural Center, Southern Michigan Rail Road, Sanders and Morely Candy Makers Inc. and the Clinton Township Dog Park.

Religion

The diversity of Michigan is best represented by the many different faiths that people practice in the area. Christians, Buddhists, Jews, and Muslims all live in this community and practice their religions.

- Churches: St. Ronald Catholic Church, Bethany Baptist Church, St. Paul of Tarsus Church, St. Luke Lutheran Church and School, American Lutheran Church and Macomb Baptist Church.
- Jewish Services: Congregation Beth Tephilath Moses and Congregation Shir Tikvah.
- Buddhist Services: Detroit Zen CenterMuslim
- Mosques: Islamic Cultural Institute, Muslim Community of Macomb County.