Asbury Manor Assisted Living - Orlando, FL

What an Assisted Living Facility should not be

I visited this facility in early May looking to place my mother in an ALF and spoke with the Director/owner Diane Anderson. I toured the facility and we discussed procedures. costs, and my mother. She was able to get her clothes together, get her bath unassisted, and dress herself including tying her tennis shoes unassisted. She was quite mobile using her walker to travel back and forth to the bathroom during the day and night. Hearing that, Diane Anderson suggested I ask the doctor for a sleep aid for the night. I liked this facility since is was smaller and seemed more intimate than some of the larger ones. I moved my mother in 16May2013. Within a week Diane phoned me to advise that my mother was refusing to get up at night and wetting the bed thus having to change her and the sheets EVERY night and the rate would increase by $300.00 a ., or I had 45 days to remove her. I agreed to the increase for the time being. We were going on vacation and I gave Diane the dates. We returned home 23June. On 24June about 3PM Diane sent an email stating that my mother had fallen during the night and as a precaution had been sent to the hospital emergency room right after lunch. I called the hospital and was told they had not done any tests or lab work yet, but I could call back around 6PM and they would give me more information then. I called back at the given time and was told she had already been sent back to the facility and she was fine. I went to the facility the next day and my mother had no knowledge of how or why she fell, but her eye was not bruised, and she had a knot .on her head along with a cut and black and blue mark on her bandaged arm. Once again no one could tell me what happened. Five weeks later, I started to receive bills for two ambulance trips and the balance of the hospital bill. If we had received a phone call, we would have gone to the facility to access the issue and eight TAKE my mother to the doctor or hospital. My husband and I went to the facility to get some answers on 20August. Diane usually come here around 11AM so we timed our visit then. When we got there, the CNA said she would call Diane to let her know we were there. Diane wanted to speak to me on the phone and let me know she would not be coming in that day and that there was a bill to be paid for cranberry capsules. I asked if she would be in on Thursday and set up an 11AM appointment. We came back on 21August and asked Diane about what her recollection of the fall was. We also asked when someone falls at the facility what is procedure. We were told that she is available 24 hours a day. "Were you contacted about this fall?" "Yes, later in the morning." "why wasn't this reported to you immediately when a resident fell?" There was no answer. No one realized my mother fell until they noticed a bump on her head. Diane did say that my mother did not want to go to the hospital, but she finally coaxed her just to be on the safe side.. We expected answers to their procedures and finally she slammed her notebook closed and started screaming at us that she was through and rant to her office. She was so out of control that the CNA's went running to her to ask what was wrong. She screamed that my husband is a fat slob, and I am an evil woman. She then insisted we remove my mother from the facility that day. We told her that we would by the end of the month, and that my mother's care should be no less.then normal. We removed my mother 29August. A few other incidents that occurred here [removed] Diane wanted the doctor to order physical therapy for my mother. When I question why Diane said "because she needs a walker.We work very closely with a facility nearby that comes here. " I said she's 95 years old and gets around pretty good. Apparently Mr Anderson checked my mothers insurance and medicare plan and told me she doesn't have the right plan for therapy anyway. Every time I visited the ALF everyone is in the family room watching tv, bu my mother is curled up in a chair sleeping. She also had on her slippers every time. My mother had a doctor appointment scheduled, so I called the day before to ask that my mother be fed and ready by 9:30AM. When i Arrived, she still had on the slippers. I asked "where are her tennis shoes?" and was told she did not come to the facility with any. I said "they are white KEDS that are laced up." "Oh yes, I think they are in someone else's room. During my mothers checkup, the doctor informed me that someone had called and wanted additional medication to which he declined. I now wish I would have asked who and what for. The over-the-counter cranberry capsules should have been cleared with me or her doctor before they gave them to her. I am not sure if that is following procedure either.