Windsong Memory Care at Eola Hills - Salem, OR

Lovely to look at. The care?... Not so much.

We toured many memory care facilities. My Mom was a resident in another facility in Salem. When Dad needed memory care we settled on Windsong because it was new and one of the nicest we'd seen. He's lived at Windsong for over a year now, and we visit often and have had many opportunities to observe the facility, management and the care. While the facility is well-laid out, the Management is mostly concerned with image and money. But fortunately for residents, the actual caregivers are wonderful - though they rarely last more than a few months. There is a high rate of turn-over as caregivers earn little more than minimum wage (I've asked), and are constantly in search of better jobs. So it is difficult for residents (& their families) to form relationships with caregivers. Plus, with approximately 10 residents to every caregiver, they have little time for more than the most basic care. In summation, Windsong is a very expensive, lovely-looking facility with a pleasant "revolving-door" staff that tries hard - but has no time for personalized care - no matter what management promises!

It was more expensive!

Windsong Memory Care was more expensive than any other of the communities that I toured. I drive by it every day and I have seen a help wanted sign out there for a while now so I am almost wondering if they are having trouble hiring. I had a friend who had the loved on there and it was a good experience, So maybe I will look back into it when we are ready.

Good impression but not the right fit for my loved one

We toured this community when looking for my husband and it was very nice. The reason why we didn't choose this community is because he needed more care than they could provide. I would recommend them to anyone.

They Focus On Memory Care

My mom is still adjusting and the staff are trying to help but they are focused with her memory care. She has Celiac that is new to them but they are trying really hard and caring for my mom and working on the meals. It's not perfect but there is room for improvements. I picked them because their focus is on only on memory care and mom can get social peace. She has a log of her visitors in case she forgets who has been visiting her. The residents care for one another and she has a small group she eats with. She likes any musical activities and the staff are good at trying to get the residents to participate.

So glad we found Windsong!

I can personally attest that Windsong is committed to providing its residents and their family with the highest level of satisfaction. In particular kudos to Nurse Debra who responds quickly and in a comprehensive manner, as compared to what we have experienced at other facilities. I appreciate the entire staff’s efforts to keep the family informed on Mom’s progress by reporting directly to us when they observe physical or attitude changes. On behalf of my family, I want to thank the staff at Windsong for their compassion and commitment to improving the lives of individuals who require memory care.

Too Expensive

I am just extremely upset about the whole "big business" side of the industry, where they are just charging exorbitant amounts in order to provide the care and medications that my loved one is in need of.

Great option for all levels of mental-care needs

We needed to move Mom from Dallas Retirement Village because there simply was not a niche between assisted-living and long-term care at DRV, and Mom clearly fell in between those two.
Windsong at Eola Hills is wonderful. The facility is bright, clean (and new), beautifully landscaped.
The staff --right from the administration through the nurses and the aides-- is always friendly and caring of the memory-challenged residents. The food is very good --appetizingly prepared and yet with a clear concern that it be healthy, too.
Dollar value seems very fair --certainly many $1000s per month less than the long-term care facility at DRV.
Having a thoughtful caring director --who is working within the "Montessori" guidelines-- is a big plus, because it is a true indication of the appropriate nature of the activities for the residents' degrees of memory/reason loss.
Even though Mom is at the higher end of mental functioning (and certainly won't always be so --she's already 95) among Windsong residents, but given the setting, she is happy with her new Windsong friends.