Waterhouse Ridge Memory Care - Beaverton, OR

A telling tour

We toured the facility and found that others provided better activities. The caregivers seemed unprofessional. We saw a group smoking in the small lot before coming inside. We toured a "neighborhood" overall seemed nice. There was food on the floor and one caregiver ignoring a woman in a wheelchair. The food looked so so certainly not home cooked as they suggested. It was sunny out and Mom wanted to see the garden they have outside but the courtyard doors were locked. I asked a caregiver and she said sometimes they lock them even on the nice days. Overall the tour was poor, I would not recommend unless your parent likes sitting alone for hours.

Very nice and inviting staff

This facility has been better than what I’ve expected. The staff has been great and welcoming. They have really helped my Mother adjust fairly well. The facility itself is very clean, nice, and it feels more like home. Not once has it felt like an institution or a hospital. For activities, they offer arts/crafts, games, bingo, and monthly themed parties. I would recommend this community in a heartbeat.

Just Not the Place for Mom

We toured this community and we didn't get a good feeling there. It seemed quite sterile like an institution. There wasn't a lot of people around. The staff couldn't answer the questions I had really, and her presentation wasn't the best. Not a lot of activity going on. We went with another place.

If you love your loved one at all DONT move them here

Are you looking for an unprofessional team of people who don't understand dementia at all? If so please make your way to Waterhouse Ridge Memory care. My husband and I toured the facility earlier this month and unfortunately, the management team is pushy and frank. I was looking for my husband who is early onset and is very understanding of simple communication. The executive director spoke baby talk to him and it seems like she must be leading the caregivers by example, as we witnessed a caregiver [Removed] calling a patient "Mr Yumyum" during lunch. We observed this caregiver feeding another older woman saying "is that yum yum good girl." My daughter and I were completely appalled at the complete lack of respect the caregiver had for the patients and were astonished when the executive director also had this mentality. In short I chose not to move my husband into this facility. After all a business is only as good as the leader.

Like others I was fooled by the glimmering image Waterhouse portrays. They are constantly changing management and it seems there is a new face at the front desk each time I've visited. The Executive Director seems friendly on the phone but is very fake once you interact with her in person. It's really unfortunate as she ultimately makes promises she cannot keep. When I first came in for a tour, it was lunch time. We went into a neighborhood where staff were serving lunch to the residents. The girls seemed nice and even said hello to my family and I while we were in touring. We decided to move mom in despite other reviews we had read online about this facility. Mom seems to be doing okay, but has since been very unhappy. The bathroom in her unit always smells of strong urine as though it does not get clean. Staff are constantly trying to keep other wandering residents out of her room and we are always finding other people's clothing in mom's closet. When we bring it to the staff's attention, they say they don't know who's it is if it isn't mom's. Dinner time is a disaster with staff rushing people to eat and immediately trying to rush them to bed. Also, we pay alot of money for mom to be here and the dinner items do not reflect the gourmet meals they promise. The offered hot turkey melts that were hardly presentable with soup. Their is a substitute menu on some of the tables that say those items are available at all times, but when mom asked for a specific item from the list, the staff said they went to the kitchen but the oven is off, so she could have a cold ham sandwich with chips or the meal they brought to the neighborhood. We are already considering moving mom to a different facility. They never have activities going on except for maybe a movie in the living room of the neighborhood and staff are always coloring printed sheets or scrolling on their phones. The staff don't pay attention to the residents and it's clear they don't care. It's really disappointing and varies greatly from the day time staff who are so sweet to my mom and my family.

Melissa Fisher

We’re really sorry and sadden to hear these remarks. Since Mom is still here, we’d love to meet with you and to correct any issues that you might have. Please feel free to stop in or call at any time because the care of your loved one is the most important thing to us.

All that "glitters" is NOT gold

Scam artists - - everything looks BETTER than wonderful when you tour the lovely facilities, and you only find out later (after all the expense and emotional upheaval of moving) that this is a Circus Act of utter incompetence... empty promises of "the best" in memory care including the integration of Teepa Snow's research and programming. NOT. There's a constant revolving door of questionable minimum-wage contract aides who may or may not have a high school education and have NO IDEA who Teepa Snow is or what she stands for. It's ALL HYPE to get you to move in, and then you see the deeply disturbing truth that it is nothing more than a facade: a lovely new building, beautifully furnished, full of incompetent [removed] for caregivers--who sit around watching reality t.v. and texting on their phones rather than engaging with residents. Residents are treated as cattle, with little regard for their dignity... if this is what you want, at a PREMIUM PRICE, then go for it. Most of us have wised up and moved our parents out once we figured out we'd all been scammed. They could not even pass their state inspection, and have had "Restriction of Admission" notices posted on their front door since the first visit. Meanwhile, anyone with a shred of integrity has quit (you will notice the prominent signage "Now Hiring!" at the driveway entrance; they cannot keep any staff). Most of the residents' families have made the easy decision to get their loved ones OUT of there ASAP, and if you're smart, you will save yourself the emotional turmoil and expense of finding out the hard way that "all that glitters is not gold."

Melissa Fisher

I’m sorry that your past experience with Waterhouse Ridge was not good. When we opened, our systems were not fully in place. This was evident to both our management and our owners and a voluntary decision was made not to admit any additional residents until we were sure we could meet both our owners and our families expectations for quality care. It was at the same time, we had our first state survey, which occurs for all new communities at the six-month mark. The state survey revealed what we already knew, and the surveyors put Waterhouse Ridge into stop placement until the deficiencies were corrected. I cannot speak to the incidents you mentioned because I was not here at that time. I can say with certainly that if you were to visit Waterhouse Ridge today, you would find quite a different community than what you’ve described. If you would like to have a further conversation, I would like to invite you to contact me directly at Waterhouse Ridge or to come in and meet and speak with any of our management team or staff and to see for yourself what our community is like now. Best regards, Melissa Fisher Community Relations Director
Melissa Fisher replied at 2017-05-24 21:24

a Word of Warning

A word of warning to those interested in this place (because a tour of the facility will be very attractive). We were duly impressed by everything they showed us (the empty section with model rooms beautifully furnished) and chose a large private room that was in a wing yet unoccupied. We were told it would be another month, maybe two, until that wing opened up, but the room would be reserved for us. In the meantime, our mom was put into a "shared" room by herself, but rather than being charged the fee for this smaller size room, we are having to pay almost $3000.00 more for the FUTURE large private room we are "GOING" to be moved into - - - that was the deal we signed on for, thinking it would only be a month of waiting, 2 months at the most, until she could move into the room she selected.

So - - we waited one month, then two months, then three months, then four months, and now going on five months, with no end in sight, still paying close to $7000.00 for a room that should be renting for $4400.00. I think this is their little scam going on - - to promise something and never deliver on it, but still charge the additional 3K to "reserve" it until that wing is opened - - well guess what? The facility did not pass inspection by the state licensing bureau, so now they have closed off any new move ins until they've been cleared by the state and passed the licensure inspections... meaning, they are NOWHERE NEAR being able to open the new wing, but will still be charging us for the big room we may never have at this rate.

The facility is beautiful, but understaffed, with underpaid, unhappy caregivers and plenty of turnover because anyone worthwhile as a new employee sees the level of incompetence going on and quickly leaves for greener pastures. We made a big mistake moving here and are being ripped off - - hopefully this review will spare you the same grief.

Melissa Fisher

I would like to further address the issues you mentioned. You have several issues with our community, and I would like to address them as best I can with the information I have, and invite you to contact me directly if you would like to have further conversation either in person or over the phone. As I understand the situation, you were offered a shared room for your mom with the understanding that she would be the only occupant in the room when she moved in. I don’t know if you were informed of the possibility that another resident could move in at any time because the space was designed to be shared or if you were told that the other half of the room would remain vacant since you were waiting for a private suite. Then the move to the private room you had reserved was put off because we were not able to open the new neighborhood in the timeframe promised because the state placed us in stop placement after our first survey. If a deliberate decision was made on the part of Waterhouse Ridge to keep the shared room as a private space for your mom, the rent you quoted was actually discounted over $1000 a month from what the cost of renting both sides of the shared suite would be. The nearly $7,000 a month that you are quoting for the space reflects the monthly rent on a large private suite. I would like to acknowledge that when we first opened we discovered we did not have the systems in place to operate in the manner that our owners or management wanted. We had already reached a voluntary decision not to admit any new residents when we had our first state survey (which occurs for all new communities at the six-month mark) and were put in stop placement. Our owners invested over $300,000 in consultant fees alone to ensure that the systems, training and staff needed to correct the deficiencies and provide the quality of care that our residents and families had every right to expect, is in place. I am truly sorry for your experience. I feel confident that you would find a very different community today than what you experienced. Please feel free to contact me or to visit in person if you would like to have further discussion or another look at our community. Best regards, Melissa Fisher, Community Relations Director
Melissa Fisher replied at 2017-05-24 22:05

I would recommend this community!!

The staff at Waterhouse Ridge are super friendly and caring. The food is terrific. They offer daily activities for the residents. They keep the community clean and well taken care of.

Melissa Fisher

Thank you for your kind words! We are constantly working to improve resident and guest experiences. The community has made great strides in working to hire certified staff as well as looking for folks who have a passion for caring for seniors. Our food is all made from scratch and our kitchen has over 60 years of experience collectively. We create our meal offerings based on a balanced diet, but also try to offer a menu has boasts "home-style" cooking - the type of foods that our residents themselves would have made and enjoyed in the past. Our activities are ramping up as we learn more about our residents and their interests. The addition of a new activities director with over 15 years of experience in the field will only help us to continue to grow and offer the very best social, physical, and cognitive engagement to our residents. We are pleased to hear that your experience has been a pleasant one!

-Waterhouse Ridge Management Team

Nice Staff!!

My sister will be moving to this community at the moment we have taken tours. The tours have been great the people in the community are nice. It is nicely furnished and set up. We have been provided with a lot of positive feedback from the staff about the community.

Melissa Fisher

Thank you for the kind words! We are very proud of the design and aesthetics of our brand new building and are excited to offer great care and services to our residents as we grow.
-Waterhouse Ridge Management Team