Northview Manor - Grand Rapids, MI

Concerns

My wife was a resident of the Memory Care unit, overall care was good and services provided by most of the staff was excellent and appropriate for what was required for end of life. Unit is a lock down facility that is closely monitored. Some of the policies need to be reviewed regarding partial cost for a terminated stay. The cut off date is too arbitrary and does not apply fairly in every case. In addition top management does not reply to correspondence even after numerous letters addressed to the CEO. Screening of temp staff for weekends needs to be reviewed more carefully, they need more skills than just being a warm body.

Looks good on the outside, poor management/care

Beautiful to look at, but the staff (if you can call it that) is lacking. This particular building has up to 31 residents and only 2 caregivers!! plus the person who passes meds who is not part of the care team. When inquiring about this, we are told this is the norm. Too many hallways going in different directions, there is no way that two staffers can manage this set up!! I have personally witnessed a resident needing, yelling for help, with no-one within ear shot. Why? because they were helping someone who required two caregivers, and were gone at least 15 minutes. This is unacceptable! If they aren't helping someone, you can usually find at least one on their cell phone. Not all caregivers behave this way, but a number of them do. When management was notified of these concerns, along with other concerns to do with the safety of a female loved one from another male member, these concerns were dismissed, excuses were made, and in the end, nothing is done. I did find out, however, that the staff members who are exemplary are leaving!! Imagine that.

Facility is nice- people not so much

Don't go to Vista Springs Northview if you can avoid it. Management clearly didn't care for the staff, because I saw multiple times where they were understaffed. The facility is nice, but the people aren't.

The care giving staff truly cared

In my experience, the care givers working here really cared for my family member. The facility is beautiful! However, management is not so great and there is a high turnover rate for staff. I suggest touring the facility for yourself to see if this would be a good fit for your family member.

Sadly lacking leadership

I would never recommend putting a loved one here. Vista Springs is a Leadership/Management merry-go-round. The sales pitch is fantastic. Everything sounds great, you sign the check, and you never hear from management again. My parent was there for 2 months and had fallen several times, a couple of them seriously. A caregiver (a few were great) would call to let me know about the fall because they were required to. No one ever just called to see how my parent was doing. When expressing concerns to management, I was always informed of what they were NOT required to do. When visiting one evening, I found the walker but no parent. A caregiver said he/she was in their room. I found Dad/Mom had fallen outside and was laying on the sidewalk and nobody knew. Good thing I showed up, it was 90 degrees outside. On another occasion when returning Dad/Mom from an ER visit around midnight there was only one staff member working (according to her own words) a memory care building with approximately 28 residents. There are no staffing requirements. On another occasion there were at least two staffers there. One was sitting against the wall and another was laying in the hall. The building is very nice but not practical. There are too many hallways and residents have difficulty finding their own room. It also make it difficult for the limited staff to keep an eye on everyone.

Downhill Trend

I am sorry to say the facility is in a downhill spiral since we have joined. There is not enough help and people are getting burned out on double shifts. There are NO exit interviews, so the management doesn't care to improve things if they don't know why SO MANY staff are leaving. We have spoken to those in charge many times but have not seen improvements.

Sadly poor leadership

Pathetic leadership that is frequently changing. This was a great place until ownership changed and Vista Springs took over. Sadly most of the great and caring staff have left and inexperienced and arrogant leadership now blindly runs the operation. I don't like to say anything negative, but please reconsider for your loved one and get everything promised in writing if you do decide to give them a shot.

mixed emotions

I would not recommend Vista Springs to anyone to place their loved one. We loved the staff they had and they were fired when they questioned the higher ups...my father who has memory issues loved his calendar and it was taken away from him because the CEO thought it was better to offer a game board hanging on a wall. ( I was told this by another family member who has a loved one in the same building). The nurse was loving and caring as well as the rest of the management team...they addressed all of our concerns and issues...but again we came in to visit to be told that they made yet another management change. Now we are stuck as dad can't move and they can't find anyone to work that knows what they are doing. This is the only licensed facility they own....and it seems like the last person in charge was making good changes and then left...just not right. Investigate as there seem to be little support as the leaders all leave....but will say care staff do truly care but are just as frustrated.

Not recommended

I would not recommend this place. Most of the staff is great and tries very hard. The corporate level offers no support to the staff and specifically, the management. Your loved one will be nothing but a number to them. They change management staff often and don't offer them the tools necessary to be successful. The staff cares but are not clinicians and can make care difficult.

They are doing a pretty good job.

They are doing a pretty good job. She is happy there. There are a few things that need to be worked on like anywhere. Medication distribution has been the biggest issue. The staff is very receptive though when issues are brought up. The food seems to be very good here as well.

I would never put my loved one here again

This is a beautiful new facility. But that is all Vista Springs Northview has going for itself. They were bought out around a year ago. They fired all their good staff. They hired people with no experience and no compassion. They Charged our mother for medications and other supplies that she never received. This is a memory care facility but they never reminded patients of things going on or even that it's time to eat. What ever you do do not put your loved one there.

Care Level Lacking

We were drawn to the new spacious building in the memory care unit; however, we found the care level to be lacking. The care givers are inexperienced and often absent, especially in the evening. Obvious and important changes in health issues are not brought to the attention of the family. Requests for assistance are often ignored, even by management. Be your loved one’s advocate at this facility!

We are having a pretty good experience here so far.

We are having a pretty good experience here so far. The people are great and they have really tried to work with us. Our loved one isn't doing so good, but they don't let us give up. We really liked the location here that is one reason we chose it.

Very nice place, overall

Vista Springs is a nice place, overall! The staff are friendly, attentive, and always willing to help. The facility itself is clean and well kept, and the rooms are a nice size for the price. They take great care of the people who live here, and they even have a great meal service.

Nice place overall, some communication issues

Overall things are going well with Vista Springs! It's a nice looking, well kept, clean community, and the staff have all been very very friendly! They take great care of the residents, however they could do a better job of communicating with the families of the residents. They can be difficult to get in touch with, and I haven't ever received a call back if I leave a voice mail. Also at one point they called to cancel a monthly care meeting we had arranged only 15 minutes before the meeting. It is a fairly lengthy drive for me, so I just had to turn around in the middle of it and drive back home. But other than the communication issues they've been great, and I'm hoping the communication is something we can work on!

My sister and I were impres...

My sister and I were impressed with the staff and the facility. They are in the process of renovating the entire complex. Also they will be adding a new part with 28 more beds in the secured area. We are interested in this home as a place for my husband to feel as though he is part of a family of new friends. We will continue to visit several others just to make sure that the one we chose is right. I gave Vista Springs a four star rating; however, once the renovations are finished and the new building is complete I think it could move into a five star. The staff already seemed fabulous and happy to be working there.

Good location. Offers religious servi...

Good location. Offers religious services & cable.

Loved the country home decor. Dining ...

Loved the country home decor. Dining area felt like home. Beautiful large bird habit. Price range was perfect. Dead end hallways with country decor. Alcove areas with comfortable seating. Staff was very helpful and caring to residents needs. Activity room did not provide comfortable seating for movie time (hard chairs). Cons - Residents were quiet and not interacting with one another but in separate areas of rooms. Activities were poor and there aren't any outings provided.

Very nice facility, close but does ha...

Very nice facility, close but does have a wait list. about 2600.

Our greatest asset is our capacity for serving others and energizing our communities. We provide a vibrant living environment that's more than just a nursing home. Vista Springs communities energize the soul, nourish the body, and provid purposeful and stimulating activities to renew and stimulate the mind. Individuals are able to continue their lifestyle while also having access to all the health and wellness services they need.