The Oaks, A Merrill Gardens Community - Gilbert, AZ

The Oaks, A Merrill Gardens Community is located in Gilbert, Arizona, in the “Valley of the Sun”. Take advantage of great outdoor space, a lobby café, comfortable living rooms and social meeting areas. The Oaks offers independent living, assisted living and memory care.

Located in Gilbert, Arizona, The Oaks, A Merrill Gardens Community offers memory care, assisted living and independent living. Residents enjoy social meeting areas, comfortable living rooms, a lobby café and great outdoor space. The staff at this residence offers supervision and guidance to residents in a friendly way. They remind residents to attend to daily activities such as toileting and grooming. Caregivers are on service round the clock.

Pet care services are available. Therefore, residents can bring their cat or dog.

The community has everything great outdoors have to offer, from beautiful landscaped grounds to neatly maintained walking paths. The Oaks, A Merrill Gardens Community is close to parks, medical facilities, senior service centers, sightseeing sites, shopping centers, entertainment joints, and more.

The residence has an array of areas for residents to be creative, enjoy a movie, stay in shape, or spend time reading a book. The outdoor patio is an excellent spot for a nighttime entertainment or festive barbecues.

Residents can select from 134 apartments, including memory care apartments, one- and two-bedroom private apartments, and studios. The community features an open contemporary design, plenty of light, and beautiful natural wood accents. They can also look forward to weekly housekeeping, 24-hour staffing, scheduled transportation, and concierge services.

The facility's dining program maintains the schedule of residents with fresh and restaurant style meals. The meals are served from 7am “ 7pm, seven days a week.

Staff at this residence are trained and carefully selected to reflect the ideals of a family. Here, care isn't a job description, it's a way of working and living.

Some of the world-class amenities that residents can expect here include:

- Spacious parking
- Living areas
- Movie theater
- Bistro
- Library

By choosing this community, a resident will live a happy and full life that's built around their hobbies and interests.

City info

Walkability score: Gilbert, AZ has an average score of 29, meaning that almost all errands will require the use of a car.

Average age in the zip: The average age of residents living in Gilbert is 33.

Average weather info: Residents enjoy a warm comfortable climate, with July highs reaching into the mid-90s and December lows reaching the low- to mid-50s.

Transportation

Buses: Gilbert, AZ transit services include Paratransit services, express bus and local bus. Residents can use any of these options. The town is a Valley Metro member agency. Valley Metro connects Gilbert, Chandler and Mesa to the light trail. The Express Bus Service starts at the Park-and-Ride lot at Gilbert Road and Page Avenue. Every day, there are seven evening trips and eight morning trips to downtown Phoenix. The East Valley Dial-a-Ride offers a door-to-door and shared-ride public transportation service for those with disability. Senior citizens and individuals with disabilities might request coupon booklets at a nominal co-pay of $2.50 for a single book, which has a value of $10.

Health and Safety

Hospitals in the area: Among the top hospitals in the area include Banner Gateway Medical Center, Gilbert Hospital and Mercy Gilbert Medical Center.

Crime rate in the zip: Gilbert is rated low when it comes to the crime rate. In fact, according the records from the FBI, Gilbert was among the largest towns in the country to record zero murders in 2014, 2007 and 2005.

Sports and leisure

Golf courses nearby: Greenfield Lakes Golf Course, Western Skies Driving Range, Kokopeli Golf Club, Seville Golf & Country Club, Superstition Springs Golf Club, Outback Golf Academy Golf Course, Fat Cats course, and Toka Sticks Golf Club.

Tennis courts/clubs nearby: Val Vista Lakes Tennis Club, ProTenn International, Seville Golf & Country Club, Tennis Courts at Layton Lakes, Chandler Tennis Center, East Valley Tennis LLC, Freestone Park, Ashley Manor Tennis Courts etc.

Gyms nearby “ senior friendly (aerobics): Some of the gyms nearby that are senior friendly are Life Time Fitness, Desert Fitness, EOS Fitness gym, Fitness Works, Mountainside Fitness, Knockout Fitness, Snap Fitness, Fitness Works, Orangetheory Fitness, and Freestone Recreation Center.

Shopping and entertainment

Clothes Shopping nearby: Residents can shop for clothing at SanTan Village, JCPenney, Lane Bryant, Macy's, American Eagle Outfitters, Maurices, Soma Intimates and Lane Bryant.

Grocery stores: Plenty of grocery stores are available in Gilbert, AZ. They include Albertsons, Safeway, Sprouts Farmers Market, WinCo Foods, Bashas', Fry's Food and Drug, Smart and Fainal Extra, Walmart Supercenter, Natural Grocery, 99 Cents Only Stores, and Sprouts Farmers Market.

Restaurants: There are roughly 653 coffee shops, bars and restaurants in Gilbert. Some of the world-class restaurants near the facility include Over Easy Restaurants, The Farmhouse Restaurant, Gilbert Black Bear Diner, Simi's Café, Barrio Queen, Joyride Taco House East, Nando's Mexican Café, New Mexican Grill, Flancer's, Joe's Real BBQ, Joe's Farm Grill and High Tide Seafood Bar and Grill.

Movie theaters: Some of the movie theaters that residents can visit to grab a movie are Regal Cinemas Gilbert 14, Harkins Theatres SanTan Village 16, and Fats Cats Gilbert movie theater.

Libraries: Some of the libraries in Gilbert, AZ include Chandler Basha Library, Perry Library, Southeast Regional Library, Chandler Downtown Library, Mesa Express Library, Dobson Ranch Library, Chandler Gilbert Community College Library etc.

Senior friendly salons (men and women): Sport Clips Haircuts, 3rd District Salon, Men's Ultimate Grooming, Rockin's Hair Salon, Supercuts, Regis Salon, Supercuts, Precision Cut and Toni&Guy Hair Salon are some of the senior friendly salons for men and women in Gilbert, AZ.

Attractions: Gilbert, AZ is home to an array of must-visit destinations. Some of them include BounceU of Gilbert, AZ, Riparian Preserve at Water Ranch, Gilbert Historical Museum, Hale Centre Theatre, Freestone Park, Cosmo Dog Park, Dog Park at Crossroads, Flipside Entertainment, Discovery Park, Gilbert Farmers Market, Shenandoah Mill, Fat Cats Gilbert and Southeast Regional Library.

Religious facilities

Religious facilities nearby: Some of the religious facilities nearby include Heritage Christian Academy, Central Christian Church, and Gilbert Arizona Temple.

Well Worn

I toured The Oaks while looking for a new place for my loved one and I to move. I thought that the community was nice, but for only being two years old, it already seemed well worn. I also didn't feel that they offered as many amenities as some other places we had looked.

Amanda Warren

We appreciate hearing this feedback. This is helpful information that our community team is reviewing to provide a better experience.

No time limit on when you can eat

I toured here. It was nice, it’s a 2 story facility, and one of their big selling points is that you can eat any time of day you want but it didn’t seem great because most people need more of a set structure. It was a nice facility and they had a lot of amenities to provide. They have a gym available, though I don’t think that’s something that my mom would ever use. Other than that, I think they provide the same activities that a lot of other places do like crafts, movie nights, and sometimes entertainers will come in and play music for the residents. In the end, the decision really boiled down to the price and the fact that they had a waiting list so we went to a different community

Amanda Warren

Thank you for writing a review for The Oaks. We appreciate your feedback and we are glad to hear that you found an option to fit your needs.

The Oaks was nice, the residents all seemed to be enjoying what they were doing. Some were playing cards, coloring in the memory care unit. The assisted living section had a nice clean smell, although the memory care unit smelled of urine. That bothered me.
[Removed] was professional and thorough. I did like the option of having my mother's current caregiver able to still care for my mom. That's the first time I had heard of that. I will share the info with my brother.

I toured this community

I enjoyed this tour it was nice and clean. The staff was nice and answered all of my questions. They had a waiting list and I wasn't interested in waiting so I had to choose another community.

Amanda Warren

We appreciate you taking the time to write this review for The Oaks. We are glad to hear that you found another community that had availability. Please let us know if we can provide any assistance in the future.

6 out of 5 stars!

I was looking for a place for my dad and once I toured the Oaks, I thought “wow, this is gonna be hard to beat.” I was absolutely right. This place is incredible. They respond to emails, phone calls, visits in person, they just responsive. If I need to adjust something, they work with me. They’re attentive and if I express concern about a particular issue, they address it in a way that I think is satisfactory. The leadership is visible and available and they don’t hide. They just run a really good facility and the staff is great, hands down. The facility provides transportation to and from appointments and we, the family members, are encouraged to make those appointments on Tuesdays or Thursdays so they can keep everything coordinated. As far as I know, there isn’t any charge for transportation, only for an escort if your loved one needs it. I haven’t tried the food yet, personally, but every time I’ve been in the facility, it’s smelled incredible. I’ve had other family members go and eat with my dad there and they even report that the food is incredible and that it looks good. The cleanliness of the whole place is nothing but pleasant. It’s very, very clean. I don’t know how frequently housekeeping comes in, but I’ve come in at unpredictable times and anytime I’ve ever been in there, whether it’s very early in the morning, late at night, or in the middle of the day, it’s clean. From his room, to the hallways and the main meet and greet area, it’s always spotless. They keep a daily calendar of activities to do for the morning, afternoon, and evening, and there’s always something going on. The other residents are very friendly with my dad and I love that he’s been able to make friends quite easily. Considering the level of care that my dad needs, I think the price is incredibly reasonable and I’m very pleased. I would absolutely recommend bringing your loved one here.

Amanda Warren

Thank you so much for your kind words! We are so pleased with all of this feedback and we will share with our team.

Dad' s choice for care

We toured this newer community for care. The menu was appealing. My father did not want this part of town and wanted to tour other communities for his care. They do offer activities for the residents. We would suggest that families tour the community to see if this is what they are needing for a family member

A tour for dad

This was a nice tour for my father's care. The staff was able to answer the questions of the care that is offered here. We found the community to be clean with a nice environment. The menu seemed to be appealing. The activities are the offered to the residents who want to participate. We would recommend families to tour this community.

No complaints!!

I have no complaints about the tour I had taken for my loved one at this community. The staff where on time to our tour and made sure to answer any questions I had for them in detail. I thought they had a nice floor plan as well as different amenities for the residents. I just wish they had nurses available on the floor for the residents throughout the day. In the end it was just not the right choice for our family.

They need to work on being more consistent with follow-up

My dad is doing fairly well here, all the staff is very nice, friendly. My dad is starting to socialize and meet some of the other residents. The food is really good and the residents can eat at anytime there is no set schedule and they have a nice menu to choose from.
There is a piano on the main floor Dad enjoys the entertainment and the music that is always going on.
I am somewhat concerned about the weekend staffing as there does not seem to be a manager on duty and the staff during that time are not consistent with the follow-up for my dad. He has to use his buzzer most of the time to remind them of some of his care he needs help with. The resident doctor program has not worked out for us at all. We did not even get the results of the x-rays taken of my father foot.

Great improvement!

The beginning of the move was difficult, in that the care wasn't what it should've been. At the time, I brought these issues up with the director, and they were very responsive, and they found ways to correct the issues. I have seen some changes, and things are going much better. Everyone seems to be doing what they're supposed to be doing now. There have also been instances where my mother believed that there were people coming into her room, which seemed to be worrisome, but they were just people roaming the halls, and they have since been resolved. Overall, we are pretty satisfied!
well maintained, never trash no smells

Very nice. Everything is you could think of and more. It reminded me of a high end all inclusive resort. Although out of my mother's price range, it was definitely worth the tour to see what all was offered as it set the standards.

The Room Was Not Available

The community was really good and the suggestion from A Place For Mom were all excellent selections. They were an excellent community but they did not have a room available in the location we wanted. We wanted a room by the dining room and activity area.

A Nice Community but No Pool

I left the tour with a good experience. They were professional and showed me the whole community. However the biggest thing that we needed was a pool. My loved one loves to swim and it was a must when looking at communities.

Caring assistance

We toured this community for care. We were happy with the staff that we found to be helpful to her needs. We did like the menu that was offered. They had activities for her to participate with the other residents. We would recommend this community to other families for good card for a loved one

Very Nice!

Excellent community! Personable staff, clean facility and lots of activities. There was no other place we visited that I felt comfortable moving my mother to. We will be having dinner with her at The Oaks often!

Overall great experience!

My loved one had an overall great experience with The Oakes. The facilities were clean and the staff was friendly. My loved one is a picky eater, so the food could use some improvement. Though my loved one does not participate in too many activities, he does enjoy the poker games from time to time. I would recommend The Oakes to a friend.

My father's care

We were not happy with the care with this community. The price went up after we moved in and signed a contract. They withheld his medication due to incorrect or orders, his medication was missed. The medication management was terrible. They were not assisting him in personal needs. The caregivers were not attentive. The management was terrible.

Amanda Warren

We appreciate you sharing your concerns with us. We are sorry that this has been your experience. If you are willing to speak with us directly, please call so we may further talk through any issues.

Disappointed

We have been very disappointed with the level of care in the memory care unit at The Oaks. A few of the aides are friendly but the rest are not. There isn't much interaction between the caregivers and residents. The food isn't as good as on the assisted living side. Personal items are continually being lost. It is not the warm and friendly environment we were hoping it would be.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for sharing these concerns with us. We are sorry to hear that the experience at The Oaks hasn’t been meeting your expectations. We are reviewing this feedback with our team so we can address any potential issues. Please contact us directly if you are willing to provide any additional feedback.

My father's care

I like the care that is being received here from the community. They would also need some help as far as a language barrier with the residents. They do offer activities My dad is adjusting to the new atmosphere is moving in here. We would recommend the care and the value to other friends who want care for a loved one.

Amanda Warren

We are happy to hear that you like the care that your father is receiving. And thank you so much for your recommendation of the care and value to others!

Positive Experience

The staff at the Oaks is very responsive to the needs of the residents. The residents are friendly and lots of activities to take part in.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for writing us this review. We enjoy providing an active environment for residents.

The establishment is fairly new and is certainly a very good choice for anyone. The building is very elegant and the workers on a Saturday seemed very friendly and attentive

Amanda Warren

We are so happy to receive this positive review. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We will be sure to let our team members that work on Saturdays know of your feedback.

I really liked The Oaks. The residents there looked happy. The common areas were nice and clean. The apartments were really nice. The proximity to my home was great.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for writing us this review. We always appreciate hearing feedback after people visit our community. Please let us know if we can provide further assistance as you research senior living options.

The Perfect Place!

I just wanted to say that I am a RN and I have worked in nursing homes and by far this community is awesome. The community itself is beautiful. The staff is very attentive and caring about the residents. My loved one loves this place. The food is wonderful as well. It is always kept clean. We knew this was the place for my loved one immediately.

Amanda Warren

Thank you so much for offering this feedback. Your perspective as a RN is definitely valued! Please let us know if there is anything additional we can do for your loved one.

So far, everything about The Oaks experience is Great.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for leaving us this positive review. We are glad to hear that everything is going well at The Oaks and we hope to continue to provide a great experience!

Great Respite Stay Experience

My father was here at this community for a respite stay. Everything went very well, they did a good job caring for him and his needs. Everybody was wonderful and friendly. They provided him with great care. He was very pleased with the meals, the food is good. Overall everything worked out very well.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for letting us know about your father's positive experience during his respite stay at The Oaks. We are glad to hear that everything went so well. Please reach back out to us again with any future needs.

A brand new community!!

The Oaks is a very clean and nice new community. The entire staff is friendly. My mom seems to like to food and they offer a variety of choices from 7 to 7. She is taking advantage of the bus for outings as well as she enjoys the morning exercise class and some music events. The community is close to the hospital which makes me feel more comfortable with her being there. I would recommend this community.

Amanda Warren

We appreciate receiving this positive feedback for The Oaks! We are so glad to hear that your mom is enjoying our community. We are very proud of our dining program as well as the various activities and outings that we offer, so this is wonderful feedback to receive.

Answered All My Questions

The is a lovely community and our tour went very well. The community looks great, everything is very well-maintained. The staff was very friendly and answered all my questions. The resident appeared to be very happy and friendly. They do offer activities through out the week. We didn't get a chance to try the food, but what we saw looked great. The tour was very helpful.

A Great Beginning

My father-in-law is moving into The Oaks tomorrow so I am writing this review simply because I wanted to say how pleased we've been with the staff during our search process. I looked at many communities for the perfect place for my father-in-law and made the decision on The Oaks because, (1) it's really nice and (2) the staff. I want a great apartment for him, sure, but, more importantly, I want to know that the people that will surround him are good and, at The Oaks, they are all really good and I know I can come to them with any concerns and they'll be handled quickly. If you decide to tour The Oaks, and I recommend that you do, you'll more than likely meet Lance. He really took his time with us and answered our many, and I mean many questions with patience and kindness. He's obviously aware of the need for that in this type of situation but I didn't find that with other tours that I took at different communities. I told Lance, and I want to state it here, that he was a big part of what made The Oaks the right place for us. We'll have other folks helping my father-in-law out after he moves in but I know that I can pick up the phone and call Lance if I need to and that's really a comfort with all that comes with downsizing a loved one. Thanks Lance, and The Oaks for being the right place for my father-in-law!

Amanda Warren

Thank you so much for providing us with this wonderful feedback. We are so happy to hear about your positive experience and we look forward to having your father-in-law join us at The Oaks. Please continue to let us know if there is anything additional we can do for you and your family.

Liked community, didn't like that they use plastic dinnerware in the dining room😕. Not sure hoe dad will thrive living in memory care with mom

Amanda Warren

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. We will share it with our team. We will strive to support the needs for both of your parents, and please don't hesitate to reach out directly with any questions or concerns.

Wonderful Community

It was a hard adjustment for my mother with the transition to the community, but things are getting better. She is doing well and the staff has been wonderful for helping her adjust. Everything about this place is great and I am very pleased. The staff has been wonderful with all the help they give. She enjoys the meals and the staff are trying to encourage her to participate in the activities. I do not regret my choice to move her here. She is safe and they are caring for her very well.

Amanda Warren

Thank you so much for sharing this feedback with us. We are happy to hear that your mother is doing better with her transition to the community, and we are glad that our team members have been able to help with that transition.

Review of The Oaks, A Merrill Gardens Community - Gilbert, AZ

This facility is near the rehab center where our father is currently staying. When Lance called to confirm our appointment he said we could come by today if we were going to be visiting our father. We decided to take him up on it and got a great tour and rundown of services and costs. Lance was very helpful and the premises are very nice.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. We are so glad to hear that you were able to spend time learning about our community while meeting with Lance. Please reach back out to us with any questions.

Extremely pleased with The Oaks!

We have been extremely pleased with The Oaks. Things are going great with my mother-in-law there. The staff work with you, if you're having a problem, they find a workable solution. I have been pleasantly surprised. They do a lot of activities and we have asked that they go get her for the activities and they do. We had to increase services and they bent over backwards to accommodate. The food overall is good but it is slow incoming service. I would say they need to get the efficiency of the kitchen a little better.

Going fine

Things are going fine at The Oaks. I don't live there. My Mother In Law lives there, so I can't really speak on her experience, but as far as I know, the staff is great and the facility is just fine.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for letting us know that your mother in law is enjoying The Oaks, A Merrill Gardens Community. We are so pleased to hear that the staff has been great.

I Expected More

They could get rid of the doctor who attends to the facility. He prescribed the wrong medicine to my loved one, without doing a full physical, so that is just extremely poor and irresponsible. They do fine with providing for the residents though.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. We will be sure to address your concerns with the General Manager. Please don’t hesitate to contact us directly with any additional information.

really great

The Oaks is really great. The people were great. The facility is very nice. My mom complained about some things. At first she thought the food was really good but she did say sometimes it's hard to chew. I do wonder if the people she is sitting with are negative and that rubs off on her. A true negative for is she did not like having the heating and cooling system right in the room where she was. It is really noisy. She is used to central air. Also she said the laundry room doors are really heavy. If she was stuck in there she was afraid of how she would get out if the doors closed. The people are awesome here. I ate there a few time and thought it was good. It is expensive but you get a lot for it.

Amanda Warren

We appreciate you taking the time to write us this feedback and share some of the experiences that your mom is having at The Oaks. We will share this information with our community team, and if there is anything additional we can do to help your mom feel happy and comfortable, please let us know.

Not your average retirement home

The Oaks is not your average retirement home and when I say this, it is a good thing. The staff is phenomenal, the facility is super clean, and the food is even great! Awesome place and I am glad we found it.

Amanda Warren

Thank you for taking the time to write us this kind feedback. We are so glad to hear that you are enjoying The Oaks!

Pretty Good Experience

The experience with The Oaks was pretty good. It was very informative and they answered all of our questions and were able to provide the information right away so there was no waiting. They were helpful for my mom and I think they did a good job.

really happy

I am really happy with the Oaks, A Merrill Gardens Community. They are very nice and take good care of her. The staff are good to the residents. It's clean and new. I gets 5 stars all the way around from me.

Mom needs a high level of care so the cost is worth it to me

At The Oaks, A Merrill Gardens Community the value is excellent even compared to other facilities. The care she receives is wonderful. The activities are amazing. Mom is so involved she is never in her room. She has memory loss so she doesn't remember a lot of it but she really enjoys the activities in the moment. Mom would run out of medicine and the staff went and refilled it for me. That was so convenient for me. Mom needs a high level of care so the cost is worth it to me. Maybe if someone else doesn't need such a high level of care it wouldn't be but I just love mom being here.

I was really impressed with the tour and the whole picture presented.

I was really impressed with the tour and the whole picture presented. It had a perfect resort feel with an apartment like quality instead of feeling like assisted living, including meals. The price for what the community offers is very good.