Peoples Retirement Community - Tacoma, WA

Been a positive experience

Everything has gone well in the last month since my family member moved in. She seems to be adjusting well she is going to activities that are offered and seems to be making friends. The staff overall is encouraging and nice very positive environment. She seems to be liking the food. Housekeeping is doing a good job keeping things clean and orderly. I would recommend them if asked.

Financial team needs improvement!

Though my loved one had just a short stay at Peoples Retirement Community, everything went just fine! We have no complaints in that aspect of her stay. Our primary concern, however, is the fact that our funding fell through when the financial office reassured us that it would not.

Not impressed...

I didn't like this community.It was dirty and old. It needed to be updated. I also didn't like the rooms.

A terrible experience!

We had a horrible experience after moving my father into this community. After he moved out, a lady called and said she needs billing address to send the bill because someone needs to pay for this. My mom asked how much it was going to cost and she said: "I'm not calling to discuss the bill amount, I need the address to send the bill to". I spoke up and asked her to answer mom and she said "Your daughter isn't right, I'll call back when she isn't there" and hung up. She then tried to sell an Assisted Living room to mom and told her that I wasn't welcome in the building. In the room, there were dirty clothes on dresser and floor for two days that weren't my father's. They told my mom that she needed to buy a new bed, then said they would get one from storage.

Knowledgble Staff !!

The staff was very knowledgeable during our tour, they answered all the questions my loved one and I had in detail and made us feel very welcomed into there community. I have no complaints about our visit and would recommend this place to anyone.

Lyle - 6/18. Independent and Assisted Living. Unable to reach Leah at [removed].

They owe us our deposit back because thy did not live up to what degree of care they tould us he would have. I saved his life from them.

My father lived at Peoples place for about one week. He was in the memory care unit. He took a shower by himself one night and fell two times in the tub. He managed to drag himself through two doors to the hallway where an employee found him on the floor. They called to say he bumped his head and was being monitored for blood pressure for twenty four hours because that was all the responsibility they were required to provide by law. I went to see him. He asked me to take him to urgent care because he was in so much pain and they were not addressing it. I took him to the emergency room at Tacoma General hospital. Soon the hospital social service rep. approached me with her concern that if I did not file a report they would do this to someone else. His entire right side was black and blue by his injury. They did not tell me because the nurse did not check him for his injury. They said that was all they were required to do. He had seven broken ribs and his right lung was coalapsed. he spent about one month in the hospital. If [removed]. We paid for the time he was there and they also kept the nonrefundable deposit of $1500.00. How can they treat people this way? The last time I wrote a review it was not here when I came back to read it.

My Mom loves it here

I have been reading some of these comments and am really surprised to read some of the negative reviews. My Mom has lived at Peoples Retirement Community for over 2 years and she just loves it there. The food is excellent. The caregivers are amazing and heartfelt and she goes to exercise class each morning. I would reccommend Peoples to anyone looking for senior living.

Pass on this location.....

My mom lived here for 10 months. The only perk was the size of her apartment. She hated the food, activities are limited, and many issues with care. I called and had to come in many times to talk to nurses about my mother's care. It seemed like they could never get it right. The place smells and needs updating. Try to avoid this place for your loved one. My mom has moved and she loves where she is now,

They Have Been Good

The Peoples Retirement Community has been very good. They could communicate a little bit better though. She ended up in the hospital and they didn't call us until the next day, so I was a little upset about that. She does seem happy there.

Inge loved the large affordable one bedroom apartments...I think this may be the one she decides on...but we stukk want to look at a few more places...just to be sure...she loved the German music being played when we arrived...

good, but not as good as advertised

Their advertisements can be a little misleading. For example, they made it sound like 24/7 transportation would be available, which is not the case, and that was one of the reasons we initially selected them.

The food seems to be very good.

A few other things are kind of hit or miss. She is happy there overall though and planning on staying, but it definitely sounded better than what it actually ended up being.

beware

Please prople don't put loved ones here. Understaffed and the kitchen is so filthy..[removed]

2 stars

My father was falling a lot at this facility. He broke some of his bones and had to go to the hospital. I don't blame anyone there but I wouldn't recommend the Peoples Retirement Community.

i would not recommend at all the staff did not help one bit the stay there my loved one did not like it at all either did i i gave the an over rating of 2.5 and i gave the cleanliness a rating of 2 i gave the friendliness of the staff a 3.5

very friendly

They are very professional and the staff at Peoples Retirement Community is very friendly.

One area where I feel that they could improve is with the activities. It would be great if they had both more and a wider variety of activities available.

Otherwise it has been a positive overall experience.

So far it is going pretty good.

So far it is going pretty good. I haven't had any complaints. It seems to be clean, everyone is nice to me when I visit. He doesn't complain about anything. I don't think he joins in much for activities, but I haven't heard any complaints about the food so that part must be good.

Review of Peoples Retirement Community Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Tacoma, WA

Not a good neighborhood, but friendly staff. Church next door

Clean, fresh and new. We ju...

Clean, fresh and new. We just moved my father in law into the memory care area. The rooms are brand new and light with high ceilings which open the area up. So far so good.

Would not consider as found...

Would not consider as found a sexual assault charge on line for this place and comment by someone who said it wasn't unusual.

Do Not Bring Your Loved One Here!

DO NOT put your loved ones in this facility!! My father was there for 6 months before I was able to get him out of there. The the staff is poorly trained and unskilled in handling the clients. The staff does not and will not follow a clients physicans orders regarding care and medications.My father had a heart attack while there and when they called and left a voicemail on my phone, it said, quote. " This is **** from Peoples Retirement Community calling regarding your father, *****,please call us at your earliest convienience". Nothing was said about him being sent to the hospital etc. He could have died without me knowing it. The place is filthy and smells. I would find mold in the toilet, because they would not clean it. They say there is Alzheimer care and all they do is put them in a locked area.

Recommend Going Elsewhere If You Can Afford It

My loved one was here largely due to cost and passed away a few months after moving in. I don't blame anyone because my loved one was in frail health. However, my sense is that the place is understaffed for the number of residents that live there.

I found the staff that is there to be TRULY CARING AND SUPPORTIVE and, but unfortunately, there are not enough of them

Also, another review mentioned problems with communication and I agree. You need to figure that out by trial and error who needs to be contacted for various issues. Also, once my loved one was there, often times it was difficult to get in touch with the people you originally worked with. They were out or otherwise unavailable. So you had the combination of not being able to get in touch with those you know and not knowing who to contact when they were not available. Not good for the family.

Another area of concern is that there are no personnel assigned in the lobby after a normal work day so several times, when I arrived late to check-in on my loved one, there was no one in sight. The front doors seem to always be unlocked, and there was no one out front monitoring who was coming and going. This is the first place where my loved one stayed where there was not someone on duty at the front door 24X7 and where the doors were unlocked after 9 P.M. I think they might have cameras in the lobby but I had no idea if there was anyone monitoring who was coming or going.

So I cannot in all good conscience recommend People's Retirement based on my experience. And for any facility you consider, research carefully their security policies, the care-giver to resident ratio and what the plan of action is when an assigned caregiver is busy with one resident and a second call for help comes in.

We've had a great experience with them!

We've had a great experience with them! They keep track of my loved one really well, and have his medicines under control. We haven't had any trouble! Even the move-in process went well! They were very helpful and continue to make sure that my loved one is doing okay! There's been great communication, and if there are any issues, they call and let me know. It's been a really good experience for our whole family, and I would recommend them to anyone!

NO Government subsidy.

NO Government subsidy.

care for mom

some things have not gone well, but most of the time mom has great care. people seem to be really nice and great to everyone. the food is excellent..

Genuinely Caring Staff

I'm really pleased. The staff is incredible. I think the value is excellent. They have great activities. Because of my mom's health my parents don't partake but what I've seen is good. I would say overall, they're receiving wonderful care. What more can one ask for? I'm continually amazed at how the people that care for their physicality are so caring and genuinely so.

Needs to work on communication

My sister doesn't really participate and that was one of the reasons this place was selected, there's so many activities and she's just now starting to participate in them, she loves them. They could improve on the communication between the bill payers or the person who's responsible, I've had quite the affair with them. I do have the managers phone number, she's had to get involved once and I haven't gotten her involved the second time. There just needs to be more communication, I've had problems contacting the nurse which is why I had to get the manager invovled. It took me over a week, calling every day and my comment to the manager was to just at least call me and say they couldn't talk right now.
When I looked at this one it was exactly what I wanted, I used to work in these places so I knew what to look for and this fit all the necessary things.

So Far, So Good

It's only been a few months but things have gone fairly well. The cost is one of the reasons that we chose them in the first place. They were one of the better values to start off with. The care seems fine so far. I don't believe my brother is participating in the activities yet but I know they're there. Something that I did like is if my brother, his care is through the VA healthcare, if we made the appointments for Tuesday they were willing to take him there and back.

I enjoyed my tour there ver...

I enjoyed my tour there very much and Debe was more than professional and very helpful. So far this is my first choice for respite care and long term choices.

Don't let your loved ones come here

Don't let your loved ones come here unless you are ready to pay for thier care and end up doing it yourself. We put my Dad in an apartment there about a month ago. He has dementia and ever since then the nursing staff has continuosly not ordered his medication and when they did, did not follow the instructions for dispensing them. All they will do is call an ambulance and send your parent to the ER. After repeatedly tell the nursing staff about the medical conditions that he has and also his doctors orders, they still did not write any of it down in his file so they could attend to his medical needs. I was told today by one of the nurses that they let the clients meds run out before they reorder. It's an old smelly building, with old smelly furniture. Stay away.

We have chosen this communi...

We have chosen this community for her. She has yet to accept that she needs care. First visited on her 60th birthday.

I was very impressed with their memor...

I was very impressed with their memory care facility and with the Director, who showed me around.

Doesn't appear that meals are include...

Doesn't appear that meals are included, not impressed by photos of facility.

Really liked this facility for my fol...

Really liked this facility for my folks -- eventually. Cannot even picture them here until they are less active. Offers independent living and memory care (separate, but in same building). Memory care is secure. Staff was great and residents questioned seem to love it there. Said the food was terrific. Good, varied activities with lots of special events.

Similar to Cascade Park Gardens, but ...

Similar to Cascade Park Gardens, but much larger. Dad expressed an attraction for this one.

Peoples Retirement Community is a residential environment serving our community and is designed to accommodate active, self sufficient, senior adults, seniors who require modest assistance in order to maintain personal dignity and self reliance as well as a Secured Alzheimer's/Dementia Community.

Peoples Retirement Community provides options for our seniors for Independent living, Assisted Living, and Dementia Care.

Peoples Retirement Community is luxurious living... Lovely individual, spacious 1 and 2 bedroom floor plans as well as Studios with shared baths... An elegant dining room where friends gather to enjoy deliciously prepared cuisine by our Executive Chef and the team... Restaurant style cuisine .. Gracious common areas for social activity... Tranquil grounds for outdoor relaxation and an enclosed landscaped courtyard with walking paths.

Demonstrating our core values, makes us a warm and inviting community to call home!

Peoples Retirement Community is located in Tacoma, WA, which is a beautiful city situated on the Puget Sound and loaded with amenities.

- Population: The population in the city is around 211,277 people. The average age of the residents in town is 37 years old.
- Walkability: The overall walk score for the city is 53. There are parts that are easy to navigate on foot, but most errands will need a car.
- Weather: The weather is pretty typical for the Washington region. Residents can expect lots of rainfall and average temps in the 50s. Summers can warm up to the mid 70s.

Tacoma is a great place to live. It has beautiful scenery, many outdoor activities, and some truly unique shops. It is known for its world-renowned glass art and its many vibrant districts.

Transportation

Peoples Retirement Community invites residents to utilize the transportation services they offer. There are many other options to get in and out of town. There are a couple of options for transit systems:

Sound Transit: bus and rail system to commute from Seattle to Tacoma. Seniors get a discount on fares.

Pierce Transit: Tacoma bus system that runs every half hour and hour. Seniors can get a discounted fare.

- For taxi rides and shuttles to the airport, there are many options as well:
- Fair Fare Taxi Cab: taxi cab company and other services.
- Fort Lewis Taxi: taxi cab rides in and around town.
- Amtrak: Station in Tacoma for a variety of trips, seniors receive a discounted fare.

Medical Services

Tacoma is home to some great medical facilities. Whether it's an emergency situation or a routine medical check, residents will find the great care they want.

- Multicare Allenmore Hospital: a network of emergency care and primary providers for a variety of medical needs
- Tacoma General Hospital: a full-service hospital for emergency and routine care needs
- St. Joseph Medical Center: multi-service medical center for a variety of medical needs
- Primary Care Northwest: a network of primary care providers for routine medical care

Sports & Leisure

Tacoma operates two different senior centers for a variety of activities and services for seniors 60 and over. Free transportation is provided to the centers for any senior living in the city. Seniors are also able to enjoy a nutritious lunch at either of the centers.

Beacon Activity Center: senior center with a variety of activities like crafts, puzzles, ping pong, and much more

Lighthouse Activity Center: senior center with many activities and programs like yoga, bridge, and quilting

There are many options for those looking to enjoy a game of golf. Some of the most popular public courses are:

- Allenmore Golf Course: 18 hole challenging course with driving range, practice facility, and a restaurant with bar
- Highlands Golf Course: nine holes of golf for all skill levels
- Meadow Park Golf Course: championship 18 hole course, nine hole course, and driving range

For those looking to play some tennis, there are many options in the city.

- Sprinkler Tennis Center: four indoor courts, six outdoor courts. They also offer lessons
- Tacoma Lawn Tennis Club: tennis club by membership, outstanding top-notch facility, and instruction

There are many other activities to enjoy in this area as well. Visit a park, waterway, or museum for a day of fun.

- Tacoma Museum District: six world-class museums that are within walking distance of each other. Visitors can enjoy glass blown art exhibits and much more.
- Tacoma Museum of Glass: the building is impressive from the outside with its giant cone. Glass art is on display and visitors can watch artist making pieces
- America's Car Museum: history of the car and how it has shaped American travel
- Ruston Way Waterfront: two mile scenic waterfront walkway for relaxing, walking, or fishing

Shopping

Shopping in Tacoma is a lot of fun with its mix of unique shops and all the favorites. Some of the favorite places to shop are:

- Antique Row: section of downtown shops dedicated to antiques and interesting second-hand items
- Tacoma Mall: a large collection of popular stores and restaurants
- Tacoma Central: a variety of popular stores and restaurants
- Costco: Wharehouse style store with a variety of goods and items

For everyday items and groceries, residents can enjoy these places:

- Tacoma Boys: fresh produce market and specialty foods.
- Stadium Thriftway: basic grocery store for grocery items.
- Grocery Outlet Bargain Market: chain store with a variety of goods at low prices.

Restaurants

Residents will enjoy a variety of favorite fast food places in the area. Some of the favorites are Chick-Fil-A, Sonic, and Wendy's. Tacoma is also home to some of the best varieties of dine in restaurants on every budget.

- Pacific Grill: family friendly restaurant serving American food
- Duke's Seafood & Chowder: local chain serving fresh seafood and grass fed burgers
- Lobster Shop: waterfront seafood restaurant serving all the favorites

Entertainment

There is much to do for entertainment in this city. Residents can enjoy a movie at many theatres, dinner theatre, and performing arts.

- The Grand Cinema: movie house for art films
- The Blue House Movie Theatre: showing new releases and second run films
- Tacoma Film Festival: live performances and fun for the whole family
- Regal Cinemas: chain movie theatre with large screens and comfortable seating
- Tacoma Comedy Club: live comedic performances from a variety of artists
- Tower Lanes: 24 hour bowling, mini golf, and arcades

Religious Services

There are many churches in the area of Peoples Retirement Community. Residents will be able to find the services they are looking for with ease.

- Gateway Church
- Tacoma Christian Reformed Church
- The Church of Christ of Latter Day Saints

Tacoma, WA is a fun and friendly city with a lot to offer its residents. The art and culture is a nice mix of old and new that everyone can appreciate.