John Knox Village - Pompano Beach, FL

John Knox Village - Pompano Beach, FL has yet not published prices.

Not a bad place, but better to chose a place with refunds

My mother was at John Knox for about 17 years. It was great for her at the beginning when she was independent. The home was lovely and she had wonderful friends. Activities were available and she really thrived. Later on she became less able to move on her own so she moved from a villa to an apartment. Things were still good but we had to get her an aid for a few hours a day. Finally, after further health problems, we encouraged her to move to assisted living. She balked and eventually ended up in skilled nursing full time. Because they are constantly busy elsewhere and my mom was very particular, she continued having a personal aid throughout the daytime hours. One cannot get personal care there really adequately while awake. Mom lived for about 5 years in skilled care under the watch of a wonderful caregiver. The aids and nurses were pretty wonderful but overworked. Mom paid a large fee to move in but none of it was refundable whereas most places refund a portion to the families upon move-out/death. I would recommend you select one of those. John Knox is nice, but not worth losing all your money.

Find somewhere else to go for rehabilitation

I was a patient at this facility recently. It was an horrible experience. Staff were disgruntled and begrudgingly provided any assistance to me. They did not respond to calls for assistance for on average 15 minutes. I was fully dependent on the staff for assistance as I had three major surgeries and could not get out of bed on my own to use the bathroom. Food was prepared by the same individuals who provided patient care and they did not strictly observe the proper hand cleansing protocols before tending to me. Therapy is provided by aides not therapists. I don't recommend this facility at all.

Dont Be Fooled

John Knox Village/Pompano is fine when you are an active and independent person. My mother resided in Gardens West Assisted Living when she first started having dementia. She eventually landed at the Health Center and was moved to the brand new Woodlands building. Everything looks good to the eye and everyone is friendly, however, if you visit frequently and stay for hours at a time, you soon see the disappointing reality. I saw the beautiful grounds, gardens, and lakes, but never realized the truth. Once your loved one is unable to be independent, you cannot expect JK staff to take you outside the building unless it is to an appointment. If your parent doesn't have a Private Aide ($15/hr.) or a family member able to take them outside the building, they would never get a breath of fresh air or walk around the grounds. I witnessed so many residents who sat sleeping in their wheelchairs, gathered together in front of a tv for hours, with only two aides. I found meetings with JK, to express my concerns, worthless. Nothing changes. I had to hire private aides to make sure my mother was fed her meals, bathed, changed, and taken outside. It was extremely upsetting to our entire family. From years of visits, my feeling is is John Knox is understaffed and the quality of staff is disappointing. I could go on and on.

Great place for seniors requiring this level of care

My Mother was at Valley View assisted living at John Knox Village in Lee's Summit for less than a year. Please note that my review is based on both mine and my mother's experience. Everyone there was very friendly and helpful, and based on my research the price was average. My mother required a level of care that probably required closer to a nursing home rather than assisted living, but Valley View offers on site RN's and a very high level of care compared to other assisted living facilities in the area. While I was relatively happy with all of the care and attention they provided, she was not. She did not want to be there, so there was probably not a whole lot of changes they could have made to make her happy, and you cannot force someone to participate in activities. I think the only thing I would have wanted them to do differently was to evaluate her monthly on her level of care required and their level of care provided. Truth be told she probably should have been transferred to a nursing home.