Independence Court of Hyattsville - Hyattsville, MD

Good choice for our needs.

When we were looking for a suitable place for our loved one, we were concerned with cost, care, access to transportation, and a welcoming environment. Independent Court Hyattsville did the best job of meeting those criteria. Budget concerns were a big factor--Independence Court is less costly than most we looked at that had the needed services. The facility is big enough to handle the medical care issues we were concerned about. The food is good. The activities are easily adequate--enough to keep people socialized and out of their rooms if they desire. Metro Access is available, and the facility is close to a dialysis center--critical in our case. The housekeeping in the room is a little disappointing, as is the fact that a favorite personal blanket and some linens have disappeared after being taken to the laundry. Overall, we think this was a good choice for our needs.

Taking Care of those in Need

I found the people who care for those in residence to be friendly and caring. Although I find the monthly cost to be higher than anticipated, I know my loved one is being taken care of.

Outstanding care

This was a nice place for my grandmother to get excellent care. The staff were always so very nice and respectful. the community was very clean and well taken care of in every area. I liked the care they they showed her. I think other families would benefit from the outstanding care here.

Very nice smells and looks clean. Any where else is not acceptable. Already toured and scheduled an assessment.

Room for improvement

Overall they do a good job at Independence Court of Hyattsville, but there have been a few situations I think they could have handled better. The facility and the decor here are a bit worn and outdated. They are in the middle of some renovations, but they are going about them in a way that inconveniences the residents. As an example, I have seen them pulling down wallpaper in a common area while the residents were trying to watch TV. I also think they feel a bit understaffed at night, there are times when I have come to visit later in the evening and there hasn't been anyone at the reception desk.

very friendly staff

The biggest strength of Independence Court of Hyattsville is their staff, which is very friendly.

THIS IS THE ONE. THANK YOU.

THIS IS THE ONE. THANK YOU.

They paint a pretty picture, then excuse after excuse

I would give this place a zero. They alowed my father to go out three times and he went missing for a couple of days and hospitilized for three. They have no security, they have fake monitors like they're recording things but they aren't. They have no devices and the good thing too is that someone let him out because you have to be buzzed in and buzzed out so someone who works there had to have let him out. Each time they assured me that it would never happen again but after the third time I was done. Everything they say they can do "we do weekly trips to the store, we have hot food"... No. They're kitchen was out of order, their vehicles were out of order, my parents never went to a walmart or a cvs. All they said they could do they probably didn't do about 75% of it.

Very Impressed

I was impressed with what I saw. I knew people there and I was impressed with it. They had the cleanliness and it seemed to have a lot of different activities for the patients there. It seemed like everybody was doing something at some point. They kept them engaged in something all day. It was a clean place. They were very frienldy and cost-wise it was more affordable for the quality and the types of services, I believe, than any of the other senior citizen programs that I visited.

Place was attractive, well ...

Place was attractive, well maintained. Slight odor in some places. Everyone is mixed together.

Staff has worked together a long time

We chose Independence Court for my mother because the rooms are very spacious and it was very affordable. The admission person was very good; they were very engaging and were not trying to tell me what I wanted to hear but rather just the facts. There is no odor in the community and residents seem active. The entire staff is really friendly and likes to chat with the residents. They make sure they get the residents for dinner and are very helpful. My mom told them she will make her own bed so that is the only part the staff doesn’t clean in her room. They clean her room daily and make sure they are checking on them multiple times a day and 3 times at night. They offer religious activities and they bring different types of religious people from different religions to make sure they are offering something for everyone. The staff has very good longevity with an average of about 5 or 6 years it seems. The director has been here 12 years, nursing director like 10 years and other staff members have been working here like 5 or 6 years. The food was good and they had a nice accessible dining area that is open for breakfast 7:30 am to 10:00 am and they seem to stay open from lunch to dinner from 11:30 am to 6:00 pm with very attentive dinning staff. The grounds are very well kept and the inside is always clean. We are very pleased with our decision and feel like Independence Court is doing a very good job.

I really think this could be the plac...

I really think this could be the place (Totally Interested)

At Independence Court of Hyattsville, we believe assisted living should enhance your lifestyle. Our residents enjoy elegant settings, a wide variety of social activities and programs, good food, friends and living assistance tailored to each resident’s needs. The way we see it, an assisted living community should optimize your independence and assure peace of mind for both you and your family.