Heritage Hill Senior Community - Weatherly, PA

My Heritage Hill Experience

I have been volunteering at Heritage Hill Senior Community for about 12 years as a retired Registered, Board Certified Art Therapist. I volunteer there two times per week; on Wednesdays I hold an art class for the residents, and on Sundays I play piano and guitar for the Sunday Devotional Service. I have been very involved in all aspects of the facility. I attend many activities and field trips in addition to my regular activities. I feel uniquely qualified to evaluate the facility.
I have experienced other similar facilities in my own personal life, as my mother spent considerable time in an assisted living home prior to her death. Heritage Hill surpasses others I have experienced in many ways. As a volunteer, I spent a lot of time there. Heritage Hill is clean, well kept, and attractive. From my standpoint, Heritage Hill is a facility that really cares for their residents, for their physical needs as well as their psychological needs. Each resident is cherished and respected for their individuality, and treated as such. I have attended community meetings where the residents are encouraged to voice their opinions freely. The employees of the facility are kind and caring, both to the residents and to the volunteers. I have always felt welcomed and appreciated, and I love being a volunteer there.
Recently, I was asked by a professional organization I belong to, the Art Therapy Credentials Board, to write an article about what I am doing in my retirement. In the article, I wrote a section about my experience as a volunteer at Heritage Hill. I would like to include a section of that article for this evaluation; it will give those who read it a "window" into what I experience as a volunteer at Heritage Hill.
"In 2007 I retired from the Jersey City Schools, and my husband and I moved to a new retirement home in the Pennsylvania Poconos. Naturally, I missed my work, and my students, and I yearned for something that would fill that void. One day I visited an assisted living facility, Heritage Hill, with my friend [name removed], who was a hospice worker. She had come to visit a client at the facility. She mentioned that I was an Art Therapist, and [name removed], the Activity Director, overheard her. [name removed] came up to us and asked if I would like to volunteer there. I have been volunteering there ever since that day. I work with the seniors, men and woman, in art therapy one day a week; it is the highlight of my week. These dear folks are so eager to work with various art materials, and talk about their work, and their everyday activities and cares. We share stories from their past lives and their childhood memories. I look forward to seeing them each week, and they have become very precious to me, more friends than clients. Recentlly we did a tree project, and when it was completed, I took each finished tree, and talked about it. I told them that a tree is a symbol of the self. I excplained how each tree was individual and unique, and represented the characteristics and spirit of its creator ... strong, flowing, playfu, graceful or searching. They loved how the trees told me about who they were. I also use "music therapy" at Heritage Hill on Sundays, and volunteer as Music Director for Heritage Hill's devotion services ... I play piano for hymns and guitar for praise choruses. My art therapy "students" sing along with me and worship God. I accompany my seniors on field trips, go to their parties, and celebrate holidays with them. I have become a part of their lives, and they have become an invaluable part of mine." As a senior citizen myself, the best compliment I can give Heritage Hill is that if the situation arose when I needed assistance in my daily living care, I would happily "check in" there myself.

Review of Heritage Hill

My mother is a resident of Heritage Hill and we are extremely happy with the care she receives there. Beautiful surroundings and very caring people. Top to bottom. They have many activities for the residents both inside and outside of the facility. The holiday parties - Valentines day, the annual pig roast (was amazing!) Christmas and New years eve were awesome! Definitely a great place for a loved one that needs some extra special care.

Review of Heritage Hill Senior Community - Weatherly, PA

My experience with Heritage Hill has been a positive one from the first day my mother arrived there. Everyone there is kind, caring, compassionate and respectful and always willing to help when needed. She was given excellent care and I do recommend Heritage Hill to anyone that has a family member in need of assisted living care.

Review of Heritage Hill Senior Community - Weatherly, PA

All the employees do their best to make Heritage feel like home.

The Best place for my Mother

My mother has been a resident at Heritage Hill for almost a year now and is very happy with her life there. She says that the nurses, aides and staff treat her with respect and she feels safe and pampered. She is 95 years old and has regained her health and mental focus since moving into Heritage Hill last November. My brothers and I are truly grateful to everyone in the residency and breath much easier nowadays. Meals are amazing there along with the way they care for my mother's health, cleanliness and provide socialization not only with the other residents but the staff also. Her room is comfortable and she is provided with physical therapy since she is in a wheelchair most of the time. When we needed dental work, they arranged for everything including transportation. Heritage Hill was the best choice for Mom and I pat myself on the back for finding and choosing the.

Heritage Hill is a wonderful, loving community. The staff is enthusiastic, caring and always sensitive to the needs and desire of the residents. Real effort is put forth to be sure that needs and desires are addressed and that any complaints are dealt with. I consider volunteering here as ministry and those who work here also feel the same and that this is not simply a job but a part of god’s work on earth. They are wonderful people. I would be glad to live here!!

With my line of work I have been in a lot of senior communities. Heritage Hill Senior Community is top quality all around.

Staff goes out of their way to make him feel included and part of the "family". Staff understands my concerns in reference to mobility and medication. One of the most important things, they know his name and always with a smile. A caring and concerned facility.

Its like family there. My mom made so many friends. The staff is great especially [remove]. My mom told us to sell her home, she loves it there.

An A+ Facility With A Lot Of Heart!

I entertain and teach Chair Zumba to the residents at Heritage Hill, so I have seen first hand the exceptional quality of care at this facility. The place is immaculate and beautifully furnished. The staff is very friendly and compassionate. And most important, the residents seem to be very happy and well adjusted. All it takes is one quick visit to see the happy faces of the residents and you'll know you've found the perfect home for your loved one!

Heritage Hill Senior Living...just wonderful!

My family and I researched many assisted living facilities for our mother. Heritage Hills stood out as the best place for her and we knew the transition for her would be hard. But it wasn't. She loved her "new home" and the staff and residents couldn't have been kinder to her. I thank you from the bottom of our hearts for making her feel welcome and part of the Heritage Hill family. Your facility is just beautiful, well maintained and the staff are amazing!

My mother lived her for 3 years and was very happy. The residents get great care and the facility is immaculate.
More money should be allotted for activities so there could be evening activities more often.
Better more choices should be offered.
I do volunteer work here.

Gretchen Vakiener

Thanks so much for your wonderful comments about the care and cleanliness at Heritage Hill. We also appreciate your feedback about the activity program. Since you are already a volunteer (Thank you!), I encourage you to speak to the Activity Director about specific ideas that you might have. We are always looking for suggestions!

My mother was well treated. She was at this facility for 6 years.

The staff and volunteers treat the residents with such respect, caring, & love. I couldn't ask for a safer environment for mt mom. It's more than a job, they go above and beyond. They're concerned for family members as well. Food is terrific... clean, safe environment with professional management! They arranged hospice and this team is compassionate and professional

So far, So good!

I think the staff is doing a very good job with my mother so far. They do what they can to make her feel comfortable and at home. I have been with her during meal time and the food looks and smells great! I would recommend this community, the girls here are wonderful and it has been a good experience.

They were wonderful and will provide everything we need for Mom. Monday, they will will review her record and let us know if she is accepted. If all goes well, she's there on Thursday.

Too far from home

Honest synopsis!

My mother has been a resident for almost two years. Trust me, I did my homework in placing and seeking out the best that I could find. The Director is the absolutel best. So very personable and helpful. The administration and staff try so very hard to accommodate my mother's needs. The head nurses and aides are a God send to me many times. Some days my mother's needs are minimal, some days the absolute max! I am a visitor (unannounced) many days and have never seen anything that is a "red flag" to any resident. Please arrange a visit for yourself. Talk to the residents but also talk to the families that you will come in contact with. The home offers activities and events for everyone. Christmas time was absolutely beautiful! The rooms are immaculate and my mother's room is cleaned each day. Monitored showers always and each time my mother receives her shower, her bed linens are changed. Excellent dispensing of meds and my mother's doctor visits almost monthly and is just around the corner. Dentist and podiatrist visits also occur. Great hairdresser on staff and a must for my mother! I have had the pleasure of eating with my mother on some occasions and found the food very good when I was there! Friendly staff ! This is the profession that should definitely get a higher wage. They are worth their weight in gold. So self sacrificing and a much needed and demanding job. I thank all of you for the care of my mother! At times I know it is not always easy!

The admissions person absolutely went out of her way to do everything she could...

My mother has been living at the Heritage Hill for about a month. The admissions person Lisa Marie absolutely went out of her way to do everything she could. When my mother was in the hospital she went to go visit her. I don't think too many people would have done all that. The Heritage Hill is a really nice community. The friendliness is excellent. Everyone there has been so nice and kind. It's a nice place.

the best of the best

heritage hill made our transition for mom very easy , they are very caring and friendly always looking out for her best interests and her health . we have looked at five different facilities ,and none came close to what we found at heritage hill. mom is adjusting very well and has met a lot of new friends , see is very happy and so are we . thank-you pat&jim lembo

Heritage Hill is a nice place.

Heritage Hill is a nice place. There were hardly any residents sitting around with wheel chairs or walkers. The rooms were a little smaller than I have seen, and Dementia Care residents have only a sink and toilet in the bathroom. For safety regulations, all showers are taken in a shower room where there is supervision. Of course each resident showers individually. I liked that some of the rooms open up to a beautiful courtyard, and a lot of men are there. The meatloaf lunch was one of the best I have ever had. Heritage Hill is on the top of a hill in the small town of Weatherly. It's a beautiful setting with beautiful views. Because of the distance, it probably is not practical to place my loved one there, but if it were closer it would probably be in the running.

Thus far everything has been positive.

Thus far everything has been positive. We are hoping the future continues on the same track.

Gretchen Vakiener

It absolutely will be! We are committed to providing 5-Star quality to all of our residents every day. Thank you for choosing Heritage Hill.

Great looking, and a welcoming atmosphere

This is one of the locations we looked at when looking for options for my Dad. It was just incredible, it was beautiful and had a very welcoming atmosphere. It was like you were visiting someone's home. This place was definitely our second choice.

Okay Overall

It's okay. My mom was originally in the open area in Heritage Hill then they had to put her in the more dementia care area. In the beginning everything seemed great. They were saying that she got a little bit aggressive. She had to go from a level one to at level two. We didn't think she would progress that quickly but it is what it is at this point. Eventually, the cost isn't going to be what we need. In the beginning I felt more of a family oriented place. Now I'm a little more distanced from that opinion.

It's very clean. Most of all the staff is nice. I think the night staff is the staff that I'd really rather not deal with but the day staff is awesome. Overall they do the right job for my mom.

Gretchen Vakiener

Thank you for taking the time to review Heritage Hill. We take great pride in our community and residents’ care. We encourage you to contact the administration in the Memory Care neighborhood or the Executive Director if you have specific concerns about your Mom. We very much want to maintain our ‘family’ culture.

Finding a place for Dad

My family and I visited several places and decided on Heritage Hills. Of all the places I went, I was most comfortable with the way the community is layed out. The staff was super friendly and even before we knew for sure that my father would need assisted living, they called just to see how he was doing and if there were any questions they could help with regarding his situation (even if he didn't come to their place). I like that they refer to it as a senior community, not a home, not a facility. I have been to visit my father several times and even had a few meals with him there. Each time, everyone I met was friendly & helpful. My dad is not a very social person but he seems happier since he is there. It was also a great help that he has the option of having an inhouse doctor, eye doctor, dentist & podiatrist. This is a difficult decision for any child to have to make, but I know he is safe & well cared for.

Heritage Hill Senior Community is located in scenic Weatherly, Pennsylvania with beautiful views of the Pocono Mountains. Personal care and dementia are the two communities that we provide care for. We ensure that our residents get round the clock individual care. In our personal care program, we provide home cooked meals, gracious decor, and spacious accommodations. Our services include assistance with daily living such as dressing, eating, bathing, housekeeping, laundry, and medication management. We also help in transportation services. Each resident will feel independent while still having privacy and companionship. Residents can enjoy a variety of amenities and services such as social activities, events, and religious services. They will either have a fully furnished two room suite, or a private, or semi-private studio. They will also have access to spacious activity rooms and social and library lounges with computers. The dementia program is for persons diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease, dementia or any related form of progressive memory impairment. We provide a safe and protected environment for our residents. Our staff is specially trained to help the needs of our residents. We provide quality assistance for activities such as daily living. We assist with personal hygiene as well as medicine management. We also provide housekeeping and laundry services. There are spacious activity rooms and library lounges available to our residents. Social activities, events, and religious services are also provided.