Heritage Green and Daybreak - Lynchburg, VA

Care at both departments, assisted living & memory care.

Heritage Green took care of both of my parents. And with the exception of one person, everyone was exceptionally friendly toward me and my parents. As soon as I raised the issue regarding one employee, that issue was immediately resolved. Living 3000 miles away, I could only visit occasionally, yet Heritage Green kept me up to date with any changes to their care and their over all wellbeing. Heritage Green was a please to work with. Thank you for taking care of my parents.

Beautiful and well maintained. Memory Care options are fantastic. Well staffed and cheerful surroundings. Pricey, but a good place for my mom.

Memory Unit Private Room

My good friend and neighbor recently retired due to the early signs of memory loss. We searched for a place that would respect his individuality and Heritage Green Daybreak served us and him well. All of the staff got to know the resident personally within just a few days and any time we visited we would be greeted and the staff would tell us immediately where our resident happened to be at that moment. The clinical care director [name removed] made a special point of accommodating his initial behavioral quirks and within a couple of short weeks they had managed to matriculate him seamlessly into the population there. Overall they provided excellent and attentive care.

Heritage Green would not be a place where I would want my mother placed for a respite stay. The rooms are semi private, crowded, with twin beds and if you are lucky enough to get one without another resident it isn’t guaranteed that it will continue for the duration of your stay. The option to pay additional for a private room was not offered. Also, their respite care is on an “as available” basis and while they will keep the lines of communication open, I was told to have a back up plan in place in case this falls through at the last minute.

Gretchen Vakiener

Thank you for visiting Heritage Green. We make every attempt to accommodate families who are looking for a short-term respite stay. As you know, many families and seniors choose Heritage Green because of the quality of care and services we provide. For that reason, we can’t always guarantee availability. Our guidance to have a ‘back up plan’ is given with sincere hopes that it won’t be necessary.

Life with dignity

My mother, who is in Daybreak memory care with advanced dementia, is the happiest and healthiest she has been in many years. The staff not only cares for her physical well being with care, but makes sure that she keeps her dignity and her personality intact. And they do it with absolute dedication and focus. While others could well write about the great activities and clean site, my joy has been to see my mother cared for with love and attention that has made her personality blossom again. My father is grateful for her health, her lovely hairdo, and the fun she is having in her own way. She is safe and we can remain calm and be the family she needs.

Not the place for us

This community looked nice and appealing when we visited. The memory care unit is more restricted. This community is a little more expensive than what we were looking for and they have upcharges for different services needed. The first meeting we had with the sales person was pleasant, however they felt a little pushy. The sales person also seemed aggressive after we left.

Gretchen Vakiener

Thank you for visiting Heritage Green! When you mention that the Memory Care is ‘restricted,’ did you mean secure? If so, I hope that you understood that having a secure neighborhood is for the residents’ safety. Our leveling fees (upcharges as you called them) are to ensure that Heritage Green is only charging for the services that residents require. It also allows us to bring in additional staff as the care needs of our resident population grows. And, finally, I’ve spoken to the two ladies in Admissions and neither of them intended to be pushy. Because of our limited availability, there is sometimes an urgency to making a decision, but we sincerely apologize if that came across as ‘aggressive.”

MY grandmothers home

My grandmother is doing very well here. I like knowing that the staff is very caring to her needs. The meals are healthy and a good variety to choose from. The community is very clean and we like knowing that the staff try and get her to participate. We would recommend this community for good care and a good value

Why the hardest decision we ever had to make was the best decision ever

The decision to place my Mom in memory care was among the most difficult my brother and I have ever had to experience. She seemed "functional enough" in some categories, but in others, it was clear her safety was at risk. In years before, she had always enjoyed going to the community presentations offered by Heritage Green, so that was clearly the first place we wanted to start. I was lucky because I knew the person I spoke with regarding admission on a personal level. When she assured me it was a wonderful placement and that everything they do there is from love, it helped me so much....but yet, you wonder. After over six months, I will assure you that I no longer wonder about that statement. Everything there is based on love. The facility is clean, beautifully redecorated, pleasantly lighted and well staffed. The meals are amazing. Their staff is wonderful.... from their receptionists, to their admissions people, to their nursing staff , to their care staff....to their activity staff. They work really hard to have meaningful and fun activities for their residents and I love that they have community outings as well. For awhile, sad as it is, my Mom really thought that she was on a vacation ~ and she was enjoying every moment! That is HUGE....because she used to plan vacations for others! She now realizes this is her home...She LOVES the staff....and after two recent hospitalizations, she has been so happy to be "home". There is never a moment I worry about my mom being attended to properly. The staff there is wonderful about communicating with our family to keep us well informed as to how Mom is doing. As life progresses, Mom's health has taken a turn for the worse. Hospice is involved. Hospice is a wonderful service, but I have to say that our communication with [Removed] (the Clinical Care Director in Daybreak) has helped me the most....because [Removed] has a history with our Mom, she is there every day and she has advocated for our Mom to receive the services she needs the most. The truth is, dementia is a horrible disease that steals the best parts of those we love ~ the other truth is that Heritage Green provides those we love with the best parts of their lives at this time in their lives. I truly wish Mom (and my Dad prior to his death) had been there long before our decision to place her there.

Memory Care that feels like home

After being at several other facilities, my mom has thrived at Heritage Green. The staff are truly amazing. They are attentive to my mom's needs, engage her in fun activities, make sure she is happy and well taken care of. Heritage Green has taken the worry and stress off of our family by being at this facility. They have made memory care feel like home.

Very happy with our decision

After spending months trying to find memory care for my mother, I finally chose to select Heritage Green/Daybreak. The staff was friendly, the facilities clean and there always seemed be some nice activity taking place. Dollar for dollar, Heritage Green seems to offer the best care and surroundings for the monthly cost. The dining room is always spotlessly clean. The staff is friendly and positive. They work with the residents covering current events, memory games, musical performances/sing alongs, etc. The primary reason I gave only 4 stars on care services is due to staffing issues. I get the feeling this is prevalent in any facility at this particular time. With that said, it is evident that management is proactively working to make improvements in that area. Mom is very happy in her new home.

Wonderful Place!

the staff here is the best that i have ever met at any nursing facility i have been to the environment and the setting is great and i love visiting there it wonderful place to be.

Clean & Friendly

This is a clean place with really nice personnel!

Awful experience- had to move elsewhere

My parent had been at heritage green, but after a short while, we soon realized this was NOT the place it was made out to be. The turnover is absolutely ridiculous from management staff on down. The care staff is very inconsistent and would rather be on their phone than take care of the residents. The activities- NON- EXISTENT!! We stayed longer than we should, thinking it would get better, but it never did, it only had gotten worse. The nurse manager on the assisted living side, IMPOSSIBLE to deal with. The Administrator sits in her office and rarely comes out unless it's for a photo op. It is staged and not at all what was told to us. They will tell half truths to get you in the door. I was greatly frustrated when I had care related concerns and it fell flat with the nurse manager. She was rude to me on several occasions. She also would not return phone calls, ever. Then, we decided to reach out to the Administrator, or as she calls herself "Executive Director" let me just say to save your precious breath. I would be there visiting, asking to meet with her and it was nearly impossible, you would think you were trying to get an appt with the queen. Eventually, we decided to move our parent out and find different placement. We have been very happy since we left, as it has been a little while now. However, I still keep in touch with other families that still have loved ones there and they state they are experiencing the same things still.. I can say for me, I sleep better at night now since we left heritage green and so does our parent.

Gretchen Vakiener

We are sorry that your experience at Heritage Green wasn’t positive. Please know that we recognize the great responsibility of caring for the residents who choose to make Heritage Green ‘home’. We will add your comments to our Quality Improvement program so that they become part of our discussion on how we can continue to strive to provide the best possible care.

Very nice and a very good program for the tenants

Heritage Green

My mother is a fall risk. The alert system in the room is limited to one string in the living area and one in the bathroom. Prior to moving in we were told we could arrange the room in any manner and arrangements would be made for the call button to reach. That arrangement has been to add a length of yarn to the bell. Sometimes it gets moved from the bed area to the chair area and sometimes not. So it is not where she can reach it all times.
My mother has mentioned to me that she does not feel they want to assist her when she does ring the bell. I discredit this some for just being my mom.

Gretchen Vakiener

Thank you for reaching out on SeniorAdvisor.com. I’m wondering if you’ve spoken to anyone at Heritage Green about your concerns. I ask because many of our residents are at risk for falls. The pull cords in the bathroom and living area are typical in Assisted Living, but there are definitely some additional safety measures that we can put into place if you choose. I encourage you to speak to the Executive Director to learn more about a pendant that can be worn or an additional call bell that can be installed in apartments.

Their Communication Is Very Good

I live out of state and I gave them a 5 mainly for the communication. It has been fabulous communication from the staff and it has been very good. I am very happy with the place and I would recommend them. My sister says the meals are good and gets variation. My brother-in-law likes getting meals 3 times a day.

Beautiful Community, My Mother Likes It Here

It was a bit of a ruff start at first for my mother with her move here, but now things have gotten better. She does like it here. The meals are nice, she is pleased with the food. They really keep her busy, she able to do her therapy here at the community. It is a nice looking community. They recently finished up some renovations to the community, and everything looks great.Everyone is very welcoming and kind. I would recommend this community, my mother is being cared for well here.

Gretchen Vakiener

Thank you so much for taking the time to review Heritage Green. The transition of moving into a community like ours is often difficult for seniors, but you’ve described the experience of many of our residents. After becoming active in the activity program, enjoying the nutritious, home cooked meals and often getting stronger and healthier because of the care and therapy that is provided, residents are happier (and healthier) than they’ve been in years! We are so happy to have your mom as part of our community!

Very Happy

So thankful A Place for Mom helped me find this facility. My mom has been living at Heritage Green for almost two months now and so far I don't have any complaints. The staff is very friendly and always willing to help. They offer a variety of activities daily and outings for the residents, which is great! I feel better knowing my mom is in a safe place and being taken care of.

The staff was very helpful from visiting to move in and after. The facility has the feel of home and is well decorated. They have aldo been very supportive of the family as they adjust with the one moving in. We are very pleased.

Heritage Green is extremely helpful and informative for individuals and families. They assisted in gathering information needed for transfer and in settling in. The staff continues to be courteous and helpful and encouraging my mother to settle in and join in activities. The facility is very nice and feels like home. Highly recommended

It's okay.

It's okay. My one complaint is the lack of communication and follow through, after a return from the hospital. I've been told they don't typically call the family when the resident returns if they were never admitted, but they have been responsive to my request to do so in the future, and communication has otherwise been good. The grounds seem fine, and the interior is okay, but the dining area has been quite dirty at times. I liked that it was a fairly small place, and the activities director coco is a ball of fire, and she really helped make it a good place.

Gretchen Vakiener

Thanks so much for taking the time to review Heritage Green. Cleanliness is important to us and we know how important it is to you as well. We know will work with our housekeeping team to address your concerns in the dining area. In addition, please don’t hesitate to contact the Executive Director or the Environmental Services Director with any future concerns you may have.
Please know that you chose the right community for your loved one! As you mentioned, we’ll make sure we meet your expectations going forward ~ our small size and wonderful staff really do make Heritage Green “home”.

The right community for mom, and for us all.

The staff is extraordinary in welcoming our questions, easing our fears, involving us in the daily experiences of my mom, and staying in touch about moods, medications, and meals. Mom has found here the community that clearly lifts her mood, cheers her heart, and keeps her safe: she looks happier than she has in years. My dad's heart is calmer because he knows his wife is well cared for, and his life has improved now that he can love my mom without breaking his own health. Day Break is now an important and appreciated part of our extended family.

Cheerful and Happy Community

We moved my Mother to Heritage Green after we noticed she was largely just remaining in her room, not eating well, and overall feeling poorly while residing at a larger community. We hoped the smaller facility would help her feel more comfortable and our goals were successfully met. With more individualized attention, she is motivated to get involved with activities, has regained her appetite, and overall is feeling better than she has in years. We have been very pleased with Mom’s progress and know it is largely due to the kindness, care, and many smiles that remain a constant at Heritage Green.

very pleased

In terms of what they have done well: They offer a very home-like environment, and work very hard to offer a diverse range of activites.

Where they could improve: The level of privacy they give people. They tend, in my opinion, to invade peoples privacy more than they should. For example, they come at 6:00am to get the laundry, and many residents would rather sleep in later than that if they could.

Overall I have been very pleased. Both my aunt and her significant other have settled in quite nicely.

As Good As It Gets

My mother is there in the memory care center. They're providing a service that we can't get virtually any other way so I think the value is good. The physical therapist came in and they're going to try to get her to move a little bit more. Whether or not they'll be successful, I don't know, but at least they're trying. From what I've seen, it is as good as it gets. She is getting as good of care as she can in her condition.

This is where I want to place him.

This is where I want to place him.

Liked facility.

Liked facility.

Growing a tradition of care!

Heritage Green Assisted Living Community is a beautifully designed, single story building that caters to seniors that require assistance with activities of daily living but do not need skilled health care services. This 48-unit, 64 bed Assisted Living Community shares its campus with DayBreak at Lynchburg, which offers programs for residents with Alzheimer’s and other related dementias.

We provide seniors with individualized care and assistance in a home-like setting, while maintaining their maximum independence. Every resident will find a unique mix of security and independent living, privacy and companionship, and physical and social well being.