Golden Coast Senior Living #9 - Mission Viejo, CA

UNSAFE TERRIBLE EXPENSIVE PLACE

Terrible unsafe expensive place. Within a few days of staying there, my mom fell and was cut and bruised. The caregivers never called me. The caregivers took two days before a nurse was called. [Removed] and her son are greedy and provide terrible service. Her dogs run around the house. They do not respond to requests for information.

usha villarreal

I have no idea who this is ?
We do our very best avoid falls unfortunately sometimes they still happen. Please feel free elaborate as to what you mean by my son is greedy?
My two (chihuahua dogs) are loved by all the residents, they bring a smile on the face of the residents, dog therapy is an important part of care for residents.

Usha Villarreal,RN

Think twice before choosing this place

The experiences noted here were my experience also.

They were unable to accommodate my Mom's diabetic diet and were untruthful about that fact. They used my Mom's potty and shower chair - very expensive that I paid for and not under Medicare equipment - for other residents and the caregivers very angry when I caught them on it. [removed]

usha villarreal

I am not sure who this is?
Caregivers at the facility face a lot of different challenges on a daily basis, their jobs are not easy, families are encouraged to call and speak with the Administrator who can tactfully resolve any issues that arise.
It is always our intention to do the very best for all our residents. Apologies if this was not the case for you.
Usha Villarreal

Golden Coast a Terrible Disappointment

My wife spent a lot of time with Usha Villareal, owner of Golden Coast, before we signed my wife's mother up to move from a local skilled nursing facility to Golden Coast. Golden Coast was the prime recommendation from A Place for Mom ("APFM"). I had gone through in great detail our Mom's needs, which were many. At the time, Mom was essentially bedridden, needed complete assistance in the bathroom, and required care at least 2-3 times during the night with either bathroom, pain or comfort requests. All of this we covered at length with both APFM and with Ms. Villareal. In fact, it is my belief that the seriousness of Mom's needs was the key reason why Golden Coast was referred as a primary APFM recommendation, including the fact that Ms. Villareal was a registered nurse.

When my wife and I had our interview/meeting with Ms. Villareal, we went overboard detailing our Mom's needs. My wife even asked the question under what circumstances Golden Coast had historically needed to give notice to a resident. The answer was that this virtually never occurs. Ms. Villareal cited only one case where a resident had a medical change requiring a feeding tube, which Golden Coast was apparently not licensed to support.

Our actual experience at Golden Coast was in stark contrast to what Ms. Villareal marketed to us. Within three days of her move-in Ms. Villareal called us and essentially told us that Mom would not be able to bother her staff during the night. She complained that at least one Caregiver at Golden Coast would likely quit if the nighttime requests did not stop.

There were also money surprises. Although we had understood the costs that would be needed, when it came time to sign Golden Coast's contract, there was suddenly another $500 per month for "hospice" care, which had never been discussed in our interview. It was, in fact, Ms. Villareal who recommended that Mom be admitted "under Hospice" since that would have, she explained, covered certain hospital bed and transportation costs under Medicare. She also required prepayment of a first and last month's rent, which we thought did not conform to real estate law.

When I called to discuss the additional $500 a month that my brother-in-law was confronted with when he met with Ms. Villareal to sign the contract (he is Mom's Executor), she was unapologetic and quite defiant with me. This aggressive and confrontational attitude increasingly became what the family came to expect from her. We decided collectively not to complain back to APFM for fear this could further harm Mom's care.

There were other issues, too much to detail here. But in short, we felt trapped and disappointed at the crisis situation that Ms. Villareal brought to us about the nighttime assistance. What in our interview was going to be no problem at all, suddenly was a fix this or else crisis.

There is more to this story, some good and some bad.

After a mere six days at Golden Coast, Mom passed away. Whether a direct parallel exists I cannot say. Clear is it that her condition greatly worsened after only three days at Golden Coast.

Stay away from this Place!

Poorly run, Poor Management and Ownership! I would not place any loved one here. Large turnover of caregivers, some speak english some don't. Terrible Food, little or no food. Caregivers are treated poorly and overworked by Owner. It's all about the money at this place.!

Hi
If you would like to identify yourself, would certainly like to discuss your statements.
Let me start by caregivers, the caregivers at this location have been employed for the last 6 plus years there has been no turn over and they speak English.
Food, facility is monitored by Licensing and the Ombudsman who would immediately notice the food issue and issue deficiencies, which is not the case.
Its all about the money? not sure what to say except money is needed to pay staff and all the other bills or we would go out of business.
Sorry that you felt the need to write this and not speak with me directly.

Usha Villarreal

Golden Coast Senior Living #9 is a senior living center in Mission Viejo, California on Zandara Drive. While you'll love that we have staff working around the clock, your loved ones will love our close proximity to major activities and attractions. Shopping centers and a major hospital are less than one mile away, and those who are a little more active will appreciate the bus stop, which is close to our front door. We know that every one of our residents has a different fitness level, which is why we offer so many different programs and activities. Our pet therapy program brings in small pets that your loved ones can play with and take for walks. We find that our residents feel a little happier when they know the animals are coming, and that happiness remains even after the pets leave. Your loved one will enjoy a variety of different exercise classes and programs that get their blood pumping and make them feel better about themselves. We also run music programs because almost everyone in the world loves playing and listening to music. Golden Coast Senior Living #9 helps with everything from daily living to special situations. Daily living activities include getting out of bed in the morning, showering, eating and changing clothes, and our staff offer support with every step your loved one takes throughout the day. From taking your loved one to the doctor to helping that person get dressed, our workers help our residents in dozens of different ways every day.