Nice facility but needs some improvement

Genesee Gardens is a really nice place, and the management really tries hard to make it great. They go out of their way to try to keep their residents happy. However, some things are out of their control. I moved my mother here several months ago. While I was here, I had several meals served by the kitchen staff. I was able to get a good sampling of breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food was very good. However, in recent months, my mother has told me that there has been turnover in the kitchen staff, and the food quality has been in decline. Mom is easy to please when it comes to food so I know something must be off. She also said many of the other residents are complaining about the food too. I'm hoping they can figure out how to get the food quality back to where it was. Also, please do your research on the nursing care that is available here. I never want to bash a place so I'll sign off with a positive. Mom is overall fairly happy with the place and very comfortable. Again, I can't say enough great things about the manager and assistant manager. They are both wonderful and will do anything within their means to help their residents.

Beautiful Community

The Genesee Gardens was a beautiful community. They did a nice presentation of what their community could provide for us. The staff was friendly and helpful. The residents seemed happy. We ended up choosing another community based on my loved ones to care needs.

Great Place for Mom!

We were very impressed with Genessee Gardens! At first, we were hesitant about even looking into this community because the cost was a bit too high. However, [Removed] encouraged us to come in and offered to help us find a solution even if this place was not the answer. The company was able to work within our budget and my mother in law moved into a beautiful, modern, clean senior apartment. She still can't believe everything that is included in her rent! When we toured the place, the first thing we both said to each other was, "I'd live here myself!" Everyone who has come to visit says the same thing: "I want to live here!" Even the grandkids in their 20s are envious of grandma's "all inclusive resort." The management is professional, helpful, and compassionate. There is very low employee turnover with most staff having 5+ years there. Residents seem friendly and happy. Since outside assistance can be contracted on an as-needed basis, some of the residents, who in other cases would need to be in an assisted living, are able to stay put here. My 85 year old mother in law is in pretty good shape physically, but is showing signs of dementia. The only negative comment from my mother in law is, "I'm too young to live here!" I think Genessee Gardens will do her a world of good.

We toured this location on 11/11. The staff was friendly and location was lovely. They have all the amenities we need. The 300 sq foot unit was too small and would not accommodate even my mothers twin hospital bed The 500 sq foot unit was a good size and very nice but outside of our price range. . We would need to negotiate price.

Getting settled!

We have been pretty satisfied with everything that has been going on so far. The food is pretty good as far as I know. They do offer plenty of activities to do, but my dad has not got involved yet. They are doing a good job with the transition process.

Far too expensive but our contacts here have been very kind and helpful.

Life Savers!

When coming to the conclusion that my brother cannot be completely on his own I decided to move him from my house to Genesee Garden. I feel like it was the best decision I could have made because since moving in he had a heart attack and with their speedy response and location they were able to get him to the hospital in a hurry. For that I am truly grateful! The place is spotlessly clean and the staff are all very nice and make sure to keep me updated on his status since I work most of the time. He isn't a huge fan of the meals but only because he is used to fixing his own meals. Prior to the heart attack he was still able to get out and run a few errands from time to time. I cannot say enough about how great the place is! It's like an art museum! Absolutely amazing in every way!

Wonderful Staff

Everything is going very well for my mother at this community and we are very pleased. The community looks great and everything looks nice and clean. They have a very good staff at this community. They have been very responsive and helpful. She has tried out some new activities and she loves the meals. The maintenance guy is very quick to fix anything you have problems with. The medical team are great at caring for her, I am very pleased. It has been a great experience for us and I would recommend this community.

Nice place, not the best match for us

I toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. The facility was well kept and clean, and all of the staff I met seemed friendly and professional. However the atmosphere wasn't quite the right match for our loved one. We ended up selecting another community, but this is somewhere I would have considered as an option for my loved one.

housekeeper is not doing her job

I am really pleased with Genesee Gardens. The only complaint I have is that the housekeeper is not doing her job. She is not sweeping or vacuuming. She really seems to only be making the bed. All the residents say that the housekeeping on the second floor isn't as good as the first and third floor. The food is real good here. The staff allow family to come in and eat free of charge. They really encourage family involvement. She is happy here. She is doing better here than she was at home.

Nice place, overall

I think Genesee Gardens is a nice place, overall. The people here seem friendly, and the facility itself is well kept and clean. They seem to have a good amount of activities and events that they offer (although my loved one mostly keeps to himself at this point.)

5 Stars

The Genesee Gardens has been very good. Everything has been going good. It is a nice community. It's very clean, and the staff is very friendly.

They have been wonderful.

They have been wonderful. We don't have any concerns. It's clean and the staff is friendly. The food is pretty good, we've eaten there, and I haven't gotten any complaints. There really isn't anything that needs to be improved or done better. We are pretty happy with them.

Very Friendly

The staff is very friendly. They are always saying hi to residents and ask how they are doing. They welcome new residents at the meals. They are always doing activities. The Genesee Gardens is great. I would recommend this community.

Review of Genesee Gardens in Flint, MI

We have the greatest managers, Dave and Julie. They make sure we have lot of things to do and our house is kept in order. I would recommend this community to anyone. By the way, we also have a lady named Kelly who keep us going to play games and even had a style show HAHA. We may be old but we are not ready to lay down! Not me HAHA

Review of Genesee Gardens in Flint, MI

The activity director is so inventive, she keeps us active. Things are going on around us all the time. It makes us feel like this is our home. It's not always easy to make a move at our age, but I felt welcome from the first day I moved in. I'd recommend this for anyone. The management (Dave and Julie) are great.

Review of Genesee Gardens in Flint, MI

Beautiful building. Personalities sometimes clash but to be expected where senior groups reside. Stated as an "Independent Living" but questioning that. Very comfortable here and intend to not move until my health forces me to move.

Wonderful Place

Everything all around is just wonderful. Staff's friendliness, cleanliness and space, just could not get any better. The staff is very quick to respond for aid. Everyone in any level of management and staff was very helpful and willing to do whatever it takes to help. The cost is great and fits within the budget. Whatever concern, they will work with you. Just wonderful and we are very happy with our choice.

A family away from home

From the moment I step in this facility I was greeted with opened arms . This was comforting to know that it was upbeat place for my sister who is fairly young. They gave me assurance that they would do everything within there powers to provide a family atmosphere .

I make one to two visits per week and there is never anything out of place. The facility is clean and smell good. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

The food In the cafeteria is very tasty. Sometime I'll drop in to visit my sister for lunch or dinner and I've never haven't had a bad meal.

I love going to see my sister because she seem so happy and overall she is doing better.

So far they are doing a good job.

So far they are doing a good job. The staff is very friendly and they are a great value. They have an average amount of activities. The food has been pretty good, I would say a 4 out of 5. It hasn't been very long, but so far, we haven't had any problems or concerns. It seemed to be the best value, that we saw.

ADJUSTMENT

WE HAVE ONLY VISITED PARENTS TWICE SINCE THEY MOVED IN. WE ARE VERY PLEASED WITH THE FACILITIES AND THE STAFF. OUR PARENTS ARE STILL A LITTLE HESITANT ABOUT LEAVING THEIR HOME OF 60 YEARS. WE HAVE HOPE THAT THEY WILL QUICKLY ADJUST AND MAKE MANY NEW FRIENDS.
THE ONLY DRAWBACK, ACCORDING TO PARENTS, IS THE DISTANCE TO THE DINING ROOM. THEY DO AGREE THE EXERCISE IS GOOD FOR THEM.

Amazing, wonderful place!

Genesee Gardens was the only place that, to me, was not a place I walked in to and looked around and thought "Oh my god people come here to die", they encourage longevity, they encourage involvment and activity. This is where I would want to go, everybody's personable, everybody's walking around smiling whether they know you or not and the residents are like that too. The managers, Melissa and Jason, are awesome, I just love them. Whenever we've had a problem they've addressed it right away. Kelly is really good with the residents and I've been there for meals and they're always playing games, musicians come in, they have outings, doctors visits, they go to the casino and they recently had a classic car show with tons of free food. Jason and Melissa do an awesome job.

Wonderful

Everything is great. The staff is friendly and available, the medical staff is right on top of things. She came from a place that was probably a 1 out of a 5, so the experience at Genesee Gardens is terrific.

Jason, one of the Directors, and his wife were wonderful. Matt, who works in the front office, along with Mamie and the nurses stand out. They treat my mother very well, and their costs are comparable to other communities in the area. Medical staff are there within a minute if you ring for them. The doctors, nurses and the Comfort Keepers crew are all on site.
They are providing her with so many things to do that my mother says she doesn't have time to sit down to read! She's going to movie nights, church services, remembrance groups.

no stove but kitchenette meals inclu...

no stove but kitchenette meals included in mo. fee and cable/utilites managers (he's a paramedic) reside onsite pull cord in apts activities throughout the day exercise equipment - classes are available too elevators throughout the bldg housekeeping vaacuuming 1xwk, linens/towels/toilitries supplied laundry rooms available free of charge, on same floor/wing as your apt. beauty salon, library, chapel, activity room phone bill monthly fee differs from apt to apt. director said he's willing and able to work with us on monthly rate if we think this is a good fit.

Nestled on beautiful grounds in a quiet corner of Flint, you’ll love the quality of our facilities while enjoying all the conveniences of the nearby community. We’re just minutes from shopping, healthcare, casinos, dining and unique local attractions.

Our all-inclusive month-to-month rent covers:
- Three delicious and nutritious chef-prepared meals from scratch
- A variety of enriching activities
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
- Transportation
- Most utilities

Friends in 300 places

Built with your comfort and safety in mind