Horrible!!!!

I want to start off saying that this review is based on my first hand experience. I witnessed/experienced these things personally. I have heard many other shocking and bad stories about encore but will not include them because It is hearsay and I have no way of verifying.

Both of my parents had Alzheimer’s but were in early to mid stages. My siblings I thought it would be best to move them closer to me since their impairments were beginning to effect their daily life and safety. They had some health issues, as most 80-something’s do, but remained active. We looked at several assisted living places before deciding on encore. We loved the concept of Avalon park with the range of young and old all together living within the whole of the community. Encore was brand new (opening in January of the year we moved my parents in) and had a great concept of building layout. We were made promises of my parents care. When we moved them in, every promise they made was broken. Even when I asked for services, such as transitioning, mental health, etc., these requests were denied or ignored. Even though I had been asking for services and had previously informed them of developing health issues, they blamed me saying I didn’t follow through or didn’t let them know (blaming me was confirmed by other doctor’s offices when doctors office said they have been waiting for the forms they repeatedly asked encore for and encore said it was my fault paperwork wasn’t done even though dr office had forms I initially filled out).

When my mother would be in the hospital (4 times in 3 months!), my dad would go looking for her, usually at the reception desk. He did leave a few times but he stated that it was to look for mom or myself because he couldn’t remember where we were. There was a purpose to him leaving so it wasn’t just him wondering off. I got a call out of the blue that my parents needed to go to memory care ASAP. I was only given 1 days notice to get them moved. Even though they moved 2 floors down, encore offered zero help with the move and I had to hire a moving company. Before we moved them to encore, I was told my parents could keep their cats if they ever had to go to memory care. They caught me at the door as I was leaving from moving them to memory care saying they couldn’t keep them. One of the times mom was in the hospital, the hospital recommended putting her on hospice. Encore knew about it but never told me! Found this out when I called hospital social worker. My mother lost weight while at encore. Though she had always been tiny, she went from 82 lbs to 66 lbs in 3 months. They were suppose to help her by making sure she ate and give her high calorie shakes. They did not do it! I was also told that when they went to memory care, there would be more activities for them to participate in. They did not encourage my parents to join any activities and let them sit in their rooms all day. Mom would get large bruises all over her. One even looked like fingers. Encore told me people with poor nutrition get bruises like that. SMH! My parents hated being there but I chalked it up to them wanting to go back to the home they had for over 50 years. I should have listened to their complaints! The atmosphere with staff was stressed and moral was low. This showed in their job performance and in the care of residents. Many of the management staff and even the doctor were gone less than a year after encore opened.

A place down the street from my house finally opened and I signed a contract with other place the day it opened. Couldn’t get my parents out of encore fast enough! When I did their room’s final walk through and was leaving, a staff member told me “I’m sorry they are leaving but they are finally going to get the care they need.” The new place did more for my parents in 2 hours than encore did in 3 months! Unfortunately my mother passed away 6 days after moving to new place. No matter what the new place tried, they couldn’t undo the damage.

I hope encore has cleaned up their act and other families do not have to go through what my family did. Wish I could give encore negative stars!

Trusted Community!

Living in Puerto Rico, it was important to me and my siblings to find a place that would provide the best care for my mother. Having her live at Encore has provided me with peace of mind while living overseas that mom is well-taken care.

Great Activities!

My mother has been a resident at Encore for the past 2 years and it has truly been a blessing for our family to know that she is well cared for. We especially love the activities that are created that are catered to my mother's likes and hobbies. She loves the Friday Happy Hour entertainment and socializing.

Encore is an excellent facility with incredible staff. Their attention to detail and care of the residents is top notch. They keep residents care at the top of mind. They have an amazing set of social activities for residents. I highly recommend Encore.

The turnover

As a family member I’ve had it with the way Encore disregards their Directors in Nursing and Memory Care and their Administrators. They have gotten rid of the ones that work the hardest since day one . The turnover rate is ridiculous . Perhaps whoever is pushing these people out ( many who since the original Director of Memory ) have been true salt of the earth caring people , should take a look at who they have hurt along the way . The staff can get another job - we cannot replace irreplaceable people

Worst assisted living for memory care

My husband in Enore assisted living< for memory care>
what a joke. their ativities included puzzles, folding baby socks and watching tv in the afternoon.
The attendance were college kids who on their spare time
took care of the patiens one RN who told us if we were not
happy with the care we were free to take him home, which we did the next day. The RN was only there few hours a day
most of the time. The medications were distributed by CNA
or somebody less than RN. The kitchen staff was very helpful will accommodated the patient with whatever he wanted. Some nights dinner consisted of one small sausage
a small portion of vegetables (that's gourmet menu).
No I don't recommend Encore even to worst enemy

Highly Recommend

We did online research and visited 9 facilities before deciding on Encore. We liked assisted living programs at several facilities but knew mom would need memory care in the future and we liked Encore's memory care best. We had concerns the "neighborhood concept" would be too quiet and not have enough stimulation for mom however, there are enough daily activities and options available and the serene neighborhood setting has been very good for her- not hospital or institutional like. The nursing staff is great, they've been profession, kind, patient and provide individual attention as needed. Stephanie Lerret (community relations), [Removed](director of nursing) and [Removed] (director memory care) have been terrific to work with from the beginning and continue to be. Psychologist [Removed], PhD. provides 1-on-1 weekly sessions with residents as needed/requested. She has been a huge help, assisting mom to process the adjustment from living in her private home to feeling safe and comfortable in a facility, and has also provided guidance to me, as well. Adult daycare and respite options help add variety of people for permanent residents to mingle with and they might be a good no-commitment way to try Encore out. They are located in a real neighborhood and the facility is consistently clean and well-maintained. My mother likes the food, it's healthy, good quality and taste. I don't need 24/7 open door visiting option but is a good sign to me. I've received timely replies to all my communications. The staff keep me updated on mom's needs, requests, and progress. We are very happy and at peace with our choice.

My husbands care

I really like this community for the care for my husband. The staff are wonderful and very caring. He is happy with the great menu and the variety. They activities are very good and he likes participating. This community needs a little help on keeping the floors swept,but I would recommend this for excellent care and value.

They were a nice facility, it was very new and nice.

They were a nice facility, it was very new and nice. But it was too cold feeling for us. It had a lot of marble, and the decor just didn't feel warm for us. We were looking for more of a country laid back feel, and this was a little more upscale.