We are calling you now to better understand your needs.
- Minimum Age of Accepted Residents
- Activities Onsite
- Indoor Common Areas
- Activities Offsite
- Outdoor Common Areas
- Beauty & Barber Services
- Pets Allowed
- No Smoking Allowed in Private Areas Indoors
- No Smoking Allowed in Public Areas Indoors
- Resident Parking Available
- Male Residents Accepted
- Female Residents Only
Come home to the best in senior living Much more than just a place to live, Clairmont Oaks is a caring community where residents and professional staff share mutual respect and concern for each other.
It’s the ideal place to call home. Our inclusive, supportive environment has all the right features for senior living at its best: ~ Affordable rent that includes utilities and on-site maintenance ~ No application fee or long-term lease ~ One-bedroom and efficiency apartments An inviting place for seniors with active lifestyles Do you love crafts, card games, exercise classes or outings to restaurants and events?
At Clairmont Oaks you’ll find a wide variety of social, recreational and educational activities.
Since Clairmont Oaks operates under the guidelines of the Section 236 program of the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), all applicants must meet our Screening Criteria, which includes an annual income of less than $38,200 for one person and $43,650 for two persons. Income includes wages, pensions, Social Security benefits and any income generated from investments.
Decatur, GA is in DeKalb County. It is part of metropolitan Atlanta and is located five miles from its downtown area. The community is 4.2 square miles in area and home to many historic neighborhoods including Chelsea Heights, Decatur Heights, and Ponce de Leon Heights. It is a senior-friendly city with businesses, transportation, attractions, and entertainment that older residents patron and enjoy.
Decatur is similar in size to its three Sister Cities, Bousse, Burkina Faso, and Ouahigouya.
- Walkability Score: 56 Fairly walkable
- Population: At the time of the 2010 U.S. Census, Decatur had 19,335 people.
- Average Age of Residents: The average age of residents is 38 years old.
- The number of Senior Housing Facilities in the Area: There are 418 Independent Living, Assisted Living, Continuing Care Communities, Adult Daycares, and more in the city.
- Average Weather Conditions: Temperatures can top 102 degrees Fahrenheit in August. The lowest monthly average temperature is in January and is 45 degrees Fahrenheit, which is mildly cold considering the average in other states north of it.
There are two bus lines in the city of Decatur, one for local travel and the other for distance travel.
- Buses: Public transportation via MARTA, the city's bus system, is available to seniors at a discount. There isn't a monthly pass available but instead, single trip, round trip, and package trip fare are available.
- Trains: MARTA also provides local train service to seniors. Amtrak in nearby Atlanta provides distance travel services. It, too, offers senior discounts.
- Taxis: Catching a cab in the city is easy. There are many options for companies to use, too. Some examples include Decatur Taxi Service, Decatur & Tucker's Taxi Cab Service, Decatur Taxi Cab, Quicklivery, and Decatur Hello Yellow Cab Taxi.
- Rideshare: Uber or Lyft is available in the area for ridesharing purposes. After downloading a free app, seniors can book rides through their smart phones.
- Airports: Seniors can catch a flight at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport which is located seven miles from downtown Atlanta.
Health and Safety
There are two hospitals in the area for seniors to visit when necessary.
- Hospitals in the Area: The two options that exist in Decatur include DeKalb Medical Long Term Acute Care at Downtown Decatur and DeKalb Medical at North Decatur.
- Crime Rate in Decatur: Compared to state crime statistics, Decatur is 1.35 times less likely to have a crime committed in the city. When compared to national statistics, it is 1.35 times less likely.
Sports and Leisure
There are no golf courses in Decatur but many in Atlanta.
- Golf Courses Nearby: Seniors can pull out their golf clubs and play at these Atlanta golf clubs/courses, Buckhead Club, East Lake Golf Club, Charlie Yates Golf Course, Druid Hills, Golf Club, and much more.
- Tennis Courts/Clubs Nearby: Seniors can play tennis at Glenlake Tennis Center and DeKalb Tennis Center.
- Gyms Nearby: The Decatur Recreation Center offers senior-friendly classes that require registration as well as ones where residents can drop in. There is also fitness equipment and a swimming pool that rec center visitors can use.
Shopping and Entertainment
Seniors have their choice of buying from nationally-known chain grocery stores as well as international markets representing a wide variety of foods, beverages, and other household goods.
- Grocery Stores: Buying food from different regions of the globe is possible in Decatur. Grocers include First Oriental Market, Patel Brothers, Cherians International Groceries, Rainbow Natural Foods, WayField Foods, Big Bear Supermarket, Kroger, Al-Salam International Groceries, and much more.
- Other Restaurants: A wide variety of cuisine is served in Decatur. Senior men and women can enjoy fast food or fine dining, whichever is preferable. Some of the restaurants available for them to choose from include No. 246, Leon's Full Service, The Pinewood, Farm Burger Decatur, K Barbecue Taco, Wahoo, and much more.
- Movie Theaters: There are many movie theaters showing new and classic films. Among the most popular are AMC Classic North DeKalb Mall 16, Satellite Cinemas South DeKalb, Academy Theatre, and Rankin M. Smith Sr. IMAX Theater.
- Libraries: There are many public and private libraries seniors can visit. Getting a library card is as simple as showing ID and proof of residency in the form of a bill or utility statement. Libraries in the area include DeKalb County Public Library, Covington Branch Library, Scott Candler Library, Wesley Chapel Branch Library, Toco Hill: Avis G. Williams Library, McCain Library, and Flat Shoals Library.
- Senior-Friendly Salons: A Natural Buzz is one option available in Decatur. There are many salons in Atlanta, too, including Salon Lotus and Bespoke Salon.
- Entertainment: Some places of interest for seniors to visit are Fernbank Science Center, Woodlands Garden, and the Center for Civil and Human Rights.
Seniors can visit any of 15+ religious facilities in Decatur.
Religious Facilities Nearby: Shambhala Meditation Center, Decatur Ismaili Center HQ, University Catholic Center at Emory University, Word of Truth Christian Center, The dReam Center Church of Atlanta, Bahai Unity Center, The Way, The Truth and The Life Christian Center, Inc., City of Refuge Family Life Center, Christ Liberty Family Life Center, Hope for Tomorrow Deliverance Center, Global Leadership Christian Center, Kingdom Builders Worship Center, New Jerusalem Outreach Center, Love Divine Music Center, Salt and Light Truth Center, and many more.