Buckingham Pavilion - Chicago, IL

Buckingham Pavilion - Chicago, IL has yet not published prices.

Buckingham Pavilion received the states Highest Award for Quality Care. We were also among the original 12 facilities exclusively chosen by the county gardian to service its clients. Buckingham Pavilion was among the nations first nursing homes to be listed as "Best Nursing Homes in America" by the U.S. News & World Report. For over four decades, Buckingham pavilion has served the needs of Chicagoland. We have been privileged to care for the families of some of the most respected individuals in the fields of healthcare, geriatrics, and patient advocacy, including the director of the Council of Senior Citizens, are Congresswoman, Alderman, Chief of Police and countless physicians. Many owners and operators of hospitals, nursing homes, and home care agencies have chosen Buckingham Pavilion's enriched environment for their own care.
Addressing the diverse needs of an aging population, our mission is to identify and meet those needs in both our short and long term residents. We are committed to achieving our stated objectives in the least restrictive and least institution-like environment possible, promoting the dignity and independence of each resident. The goal of Buckingham Pavilion is to achieve the optimal level of physical, mental, and spiritual well being of each resident through a spectrum of high quality rehabilitation, nursing, and personalized programming.

After World War II, Maurice and Margaret Stern's famous Prague restaurant served as a landmark communal resource to thousands of Eastern European Refugees. In 1950 they left their Native Czechoslovakia for freedom in America. Two years after arriving in Chicago, the couple recognized the need for a home which would provide care with dignity to an aging community. Both worked hard by day and attended School at night. Margaret studied and soon became a nurse. With the help of many of their new friends, they were able to put a down payment on a fashionable mansion just off Lincoln Park. It was a proud day when the young family moved into the third floor of what was to become Stern's Convalescent Home, a 20 bed nursing home complete with gardens and children playing in the parlor. On the following day the phone company came to install their very first telephone, the number was Buckingham 1-9803. No sooner had the Stern's opened their doors that their reputation for personal care and European cooking had the telephone ringing. Over the years, they had become renowned for their devotion in protecting and caring for the elderly. In 1957 they received commendations for installing the first sprinkler system in a nursing home- years before the government made them state requirements. Between 1952 and 1974 some of the most prominent names in commerce, politics, and healthcare entrusted the care of family members to Stern's Convalescent Home. The grand old mansion had served them well, but the time had come to build for the next generation. Built by the Stern family to meet future needs of its residents, Buckingham Pavilion's original design was so far in advance of its day that it exceeded city, state, and federal nursing home standards not contemplated for years to come. Since its opening in December 1974, Buckingham Pavilions reputation has become legendary as being among the state's finest geriatric facilities. Designed as an intimate and comfortable nursing care residence, it is located adjacent to the North Shore of Chicago in the quaint West Rogers Park neighborhood. Carrying on the tradition of its predecessor, Buckingham Pavilion has become the preferred home for many physicians, healthcare professionals, senior advocates, and community officials. Since its inception, Buckingham has qualified for every quality incentive program offered by the State of Illinois. These above average standards range from Nursing Care to Physical and Occupational Rehabilitation, as well as Alzheimer's and Dementia Care. We have been among the pioneers in innovative resident programming such as validation therapy, reality orientation, pet therapy, and intergenerational integration. We established a Continuing Education Program with Truman College, one of the first of its kind in the country. With an average age of 82, the first graduating class had over one third of our residents receiving their diplomas.

• Nurse Practitioners
  • Laundry Service / Dry Cleaning
  • Multilingual Staff
  • Transportation at Cost

Love this place!!!!

LOVE THIS PLACE, IT'S ONE OF THE BEST!!!
We were looking for a place for my mom and we met with [removed] 1st then [removed]. My husband & I were shown around. Everyone was so sweet & helpful. The facility was more like home, so clean, everyone was soooooo friendly and caring. I have looked at many many places but I don't believe my mom would get better care anywhere. After viewing so many other places I have developed a better understanding of what a great caring facility is suppose to be like. We could tell by talking many times with [removed] & [removed] that they have an understanding and deep love for the aging process. I know they will & would do anything to make everyday a wonderful day for my mom.

I moved my mother in law to Buckingham Pavilion two months ago. She is new person in their memory care facility. The staff are fabulous, including the management compared to other health care facilities where she resided before. Great activities (music, art, self care and more), including monthly doctor visits. The nursing staff keep us informed about her medical needs and overall well being. Highly recommend this place if you are overwhelmed with taking care of your loved one.

A Good Recovery

We are fine and my husband was there for physical therapy. It went well and the staff are very nice, attentive, and talked to him at an adult level. The meals were good and we were pretty pleased with what they provided to us. I liked that is was clean and smelled well, there were no odors. It was a good experience and a helpful recovery. He had a lovely and large room and it was light. The size and atmosphere was helpful for us. they

My Mother in law

My wife and I picked Buckingham out of 3 other nursing homes. We toured and decided on Buckingham because of Eric the Executive Director. He made us feel comfortable and I know my mother in law will be happy. We are looking forward to her new home!

My Dad

Buckingham Pavilion is an astonishing rehabilitation center with caring staff who helped my father. My father always mentioned how much fun he had interacting with the staff, and talking about the Bulls and Sox, attending the activities and engaging with the other sports fans. The rehab staff really helped my father recover from his knee replacement surgery and regain his ability to walk again. I would definitely recommend Buckingham Pavilion to anyone looking for rehabilitation services!

The best Nursing Home for your loved ones!

My Uncle Michael went to Buckingham to get stronger after he had a shoulder replacement. The therapy at Buckingham was so good that he went home 1 weeks prior to the original date from the doctors. He enjoyed talking to the residents and learning about their families. Michael was greeted daily by the activities director who brought him to the movies, lectures or music entertainment. Buckingham Pavilion is a family owned community and you feel like a family member!

My Grandmother

Buckingham Pavilion took care of my mother and father for 5 years. Jane was 91 years old and John was 95. The staff always made a point to engage with John about the Cubs. Jane enjoyed Hannah's activities, and especially the bingo where she a constant winner. Go see Buckingham Pavilion and ask for Suzy!

My Grandmother

Buckingham Pavilion is an amazing nursing home and rehabilitation center with caring staff who helped my grandmother with every need of hers. My grandmother always mentioned how much fun she had interacting with the staff and attending group activities with other residents. The rehab staff really helped my grandmother recover from her knee replacement surgery and regain her ability to walk again. I would definitely recommend Buckingham Pavilion to anyone looking to place a family member in a long term care facility or just for some rehabilitation services!

The best Nursing Home for your loved ones!

My reviews are limited because I only review winners, why waste your or my time regarding mediocre businesses or just plain ranting on line about a bad business experience, right?!

That said, I highly recommend Buckingham Pavilion for a loved one. I cannot emphasize this enough; whether it be for home-care or for rehabilitative reasons; this is the place! And here's why:

Buckingham Pavilion is the antithesis of any nursing home you have ever known, visited or heard about...

There are so many "positive" things about this place, that I cannot name them all, so will list the more important ones as it related to my Father-In Law:

DIGNITY: Everyone in this facility treats all with respect, the staff is much kinder than you would expect at a facility such as this... It is amazing...

INDEPENDENCE: We couldn't get my father-in-law to ever do physical therapy, so his ability to take care of himself or move about was futile. However, These people at Buckingham got my father up every day for physical therapy and we actually saw progress in his strength!

CARING: Okay, the staff at this facility is different because, as you will be able to tell, the staff actually likes working here! Not only did most of the staff have a relationship with my father-in-law, but the staff kept us informed regarding any issues. These people are not afraid to call and inform you when issues occur (Note: When we were told there was an opening at Buckingham, we rushed him in because the previous home was horrendous! My father-in-law arrived at Buckingham dehydrated with major infections & Buckingham took the necessary measures to bring him back to reasonable health. They called us when he needed to go to the hospital due to the pre-existing infection. They will also call you when mishaps occur, such as a fall or a sudden sickness; ordinary things that occur with old age..)

CONSISTENCY IN ALL THEY DO: My father-in-law was visited at least 3, if not more, times a week. Every single visit was unannounced and every time we arrived all appeared consistent; when you visit and see the Buckingham employees in action, know that they are not putting a show on for you; the staff here is consistently polite, attentive and pro-active! (In other words, if you worry about your loved one being mistreated, send him or her to Buckingham and your conscience will be clear.)

FINANCIALS: Yes, the financials involved in putting your loved one in a home can be scary... Buckingham appears to accept the popular insurance/healthcare plans, but please know that, LIKE ALL OTHER HOMES, you will probably have to pay for the first few months out of pocket, but that money did get reimbursed, once my Father-In-Law's case was approved by the state....

Ordinarily I would name names, but that would be doing the staff at Buckingham a disservice... It appears that every single employee here is plugged into each-other....

On that note, if you REALLY want to get your loved one into Buckingham Pavilion, do the following:

1) Start the paperwork for financing, it is excruciating, you might want to hire a lawyer (Oh, and the lawyers are not cheap either, but again, you might want to pay them to deal with the horrendous paperwork involved in obtaining public aid...)

2) Get your loved ones medical records with names and phone numbers of current physicians...

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL:

3) BE NICE! BE POLITE! Especially to the receptionist! Believe it or not, the receptionists at Buckingham are just as plugged-in as the rest of the facilities employees... So, rather than trying to go to the top (We're all emotional when it comes to our parents and, its a natural impulse to act "with a sense of urgency"; but you won't need to do that at Buckingham...) and state why you are calling, give a little background AND ASK THE RECEPTIONIST HOW TO PROCEED... It might take a day or two, but they will respond (That's why you want to have all the medical records and numbers handy, before you call. I do believe, because we were prepared, we fast-tracked my father-in-law into Buckingham)

In closing, if any member of Buckingham's staff is reading this, I cannot thank you guys and gals at Buckingham Pavilion enough for making a significant "positive" difference in my Father-In-Laws life and final days. Know, strike that, BE REASSURED, that you are different than other homes and there is probably not a home comparable to yours; be proud that, in my family's eyes, your home a benchmark facility!