Brookstone Estates of Charleston - Charleston, IL

This is a caring place. They make you feel right at home. Everyone is very friendly.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of our community; we appreciate your feedback!

I was sold just by the phone conversation!

My husband and I had to find a place for his mother because she was not fit to live by herself anymore and A Place for Mom suggested Brookstone. When I called them and spoke with them on the phone, I was ready to say “sold”. First of all, the facility is situated in a total residential area so there is no noise. Right off the dining hall, they’ve got a nice, large, enclosed area for a garden and instead of barred gates, they have wooden fences and it really makes it look like it’s your own backyard. Come spring, they’ll have plots for gardening so the residents can plant flowers. When I first walked in, I noticed that there was no odor whatsoever. Sometimes you’ll smell laundry detergent, if the maintenance room is open, but that’s something you’d smell in your own home. You feel like you’re just going to small apartments instead of walking into a retirement home. Laundry is done regularly from what I can tell and there’s always someone cleaning during the day. If there’s not vacuuming to be done, there are windows and counters that are being cleaned. The maintenance people are very on top of things too. When we first brought my mother-in-law in, on a Sunday, I mentioned that something was broken in her shower and it was fixed by the next day. The staff here is very friendly, very knowledgeable, and everyone is available – you don’t have to hunt down any specific person to answer your questions. Once when I was visiting, there was a fire alarm that went off and they had all of the residents out in about 3 minutes. They had enough staff to really help everyone get out as fast and safe as possible. There are no orderlies or anything that just say “that’s not my job,” they all just jump in and do everything. And come to find out, I even worked with one of the nurses previously while she was going to nursing school so I thought that was neat. I love that there are constant open lines of communication between myself and the director of the facility and, if I have any questions, I can simply send them a text and they’ll answer. The room that my mother-in-law is in is designed for residents with roommates and it has 2 separate bedrooms, a common area, and a huge, enormous bathroom with wheelchair access. It’s beautiful. The food is amazing and very well cooked. It’s enough to make my own stomach start grumbling and I’m a picky eater! They even have a small, separate dining room with wood and glass doors that you can slide closed for privacy so you can have dinner with your family if you want to. They offer activities like Zumba, music, and art projects, and like I mentioned earlier, there will be gardening come Spring time. Their prices are very reasonable too. My mother-in-law needs 24 hour care and the fact that they can provide that at such a great price is amazing. I would recommend them to anyone, even people who aren’t having problems financially.

Nice place

Overall I'd say our experience with Brookstone Estates has been a positive one! It's a nice looking place, the people are friendly, and my loved one seems to enjoy it here! We've got no complaints.

Good Neighbor Care carries on the Brookstone tradition, providing a senior care program that supports individual freedom and promotes the dignity of each resident. Brookstone communities are all nestled in small Illinois towns of 10,000 to 20,000 residents where families can feel satisfied their loved ones are receiving high quality care in a stress-free environment.

All Brookstone Estates independent living communities are modern, attractive and impeccably maintained, offering gracious ambiance while meeting the unique needs of each individual resident. The facilities offer a full range of services and amenities for a single, all-inclusive, yet affordable price. Meals, housekeeping, laundry, a personal response system, 24-hour staffing and other services are all part of the package.

Individual apartments at Brookstone communities offer not only comfort, convenience and the opportunity for friendly sociability but also the assurance of privacy. Residents all receive keys to their new home making privacy and security simply a matter of closing the front door. Residents may also bring personal furnishings to maintain the utmost level of familiarity and comfort.