Brookside Glen - Columbus, GA

Brookside Glen Brings Peace of Mind

My aunt has lived at Brookside Glen for almost three years. My family and I can not be more pleased with the care she has received. The facility truly seems like home for her. Not only is the staff caring and friendly, they are very alert and aware of her medical needs. I live 700 miles away and can always depend on them to keep me advised and updated of her condition and any needs she might have. The atmosphere is warm, homey and welcoming. We are secure in knowing that she is in a great place! Thanks to all of you for doing a very difficult job so well!!!

Warm and friendly

My husband has been at Brookside Glen for a month now, and I couldn’t ask for a more attentive staff to look after him. In the beginning he wouldn’t eat much, the kitchen staff searched me out to get some ideas on what to offer him for his meals. He is eating so much better now and interacts with all the very patient staff.
I visit every day at different times and I have never seen anything that would make me think I should have chosen another home for him.

The staff is very friendly and are always helpful when we come to visit. Even when we show up unexpected, it seems that our mother is being taken care of. The facility is kept clean and has a homey feel to it.

Not ready yet

Out of all the nursing homes we visited we liked this one the best. The young lady who let us in seemed very friendly. She introduced herself as the activities director and offer her assistant even though she had something going on in the other room. Even though my dad is not ready for this level of care it seems like a wonderful place that we will look into in the future.

We have peace of mind knowing our family member is not only cared for but also loved by an excellent staff that feels elder care is their calling in life.

Mom and her family are happy

When visiting friends' mom at Brookside Glen, I was quite impressed. It feels more like a "home" and not a "facility", but still offers professional services and care. My friends are happy they found Brookside Glen for their mom, and have been very satisfied with it--and their mom likes it, too.

Tour before deciding strictly from the reviews.

I recently had a tour to seek placement for my mother. I was greeted at the door by the Nurse and the house Dog that was so cute. My first impression was the cozy homelike atmosphere. Everyone that I came in contact with was very helpful, answering questions and very friendly. The residents were painting with the activities lady, which seemed to love her job. I never noticed any smells like I did at other facilities that I toured. All of my questions were answered and as soon as my Mother is ready, this will become her home. I highly recommend that the building be toured before going off of any of the negative reviews. I never smelled dog or Cigarette smoke during my tour and I was there for over an hour. Every team member that I observed was very attentive to the residents needs while I was there. Again I would say come see the place before making a decision solely off of the reviews here. Just my opinion, but I liked the place and so did Mother.

A Caring Heart

I recently took a tour here and I will tell you that the young lady that help me out was exceptional. She first introduced herself ([Removed].) and then offered me something to drink. I felt like this was the place for us. Later we decided that he couldn't afford it and she even offered to help find somewhere that I could take my uncle. The place was clean and smelled good. The staff was friendly. But what I found to be the most caring part was a week later, [Removed] called to follow up with me about my uncle.
I would suggest this place to anyone .

BSG

We have been at BSG for some years and the level of care and staff professionalism has declined markedly since it was under [Removed] care. In the past couple of years the executive director position was filled for less than a year twice, then for about a year with a temporary ED, which was followed by the latest ED, who last all of less than 2 months. Additionally, the nurse has been onboard for less than six months and she leaves shortly. The one prior to that was there for less than a year. A lot of turbulence in the leadership positions which feels a lot like corporate management has not made BSG a priority in any way. By mid-April BSG will be without and ED and a nurse.

The activity level at BSG is entirely lacking. None of the activities listed from 4:00pm and later ever occur - absolutely never! On many days the events listed for mid-mornings and afternoons do not happen while staff does a lot of sitting around instead of engaging the residents. The activity schedule is very misleading since it portrays an active day for residents. In reality, very, very few of the activities take place. What's not listed on the schedule is sitting on the porch or in the backyard in nice weather. Most residents don't go outdoors unless family takes them out and this goes on for days and months on end.

In the past six months or so many aids have been hired to watch residents or to feed them. That tells me that the level of care and attention given by the staff is so deficient that some family members feel compelled to hire additional help.

The reader may be wondering if it's that bad, why is the writer still here. That will be changing shortly. Enough is enough. Try as we might, complain as we might, point out deficiencies as we might, not much seems to improve. Recommend you look elsewhere. If you do visit, talk to a family member who's been there for a bit to get a true picture of what things are like at BSG.

I Took A Tour!!

The Brookdale Glen was a very nice homelike community. It has a positive atmosphere and the staff were all very friendly and knowledgeable. The only reason we did not choose this place was simply because of how far it is from my home.

smelly cigarettes and dogs

My father is a resident of Brookside Glen. We had him in another home before this, but the conditions were horrible. he lost 30 pounds in the time he was there, the employees were rough with the residents so we looked at Brookside Glen. He has a private room, he has a fridge in his room which we provided, so he can get the thing he loves most in life, ice cream. The staff is absolutely wonderful, he gets enough food, three meals a day with three snacks, and the "cigarette smelling woman" as you called her is the best part of the place. She looks after the interest of all the residents, she actually cares about them. The dog smell? if you ever went in there at night and saw the interaction between Bentley and the residents, you would know the dog smell is well worth it. He brings them joy. We are extremely pleased with the employees, the care given, the food, the look and feel of home there. We looked at other places but they seemed too sterile. My father has done a turnaround since he entered Brookside Glen.

Stale cigarettes and stinky dog

I toured this building last month. The woman who toured us smelled like cigarette smoke, she could barely walk and talk at the same time. The only part of this tour my sister and I found rewarding was when we met the activity lady. She was engaged with the people and she seemed to have loved what she was doing. We later went back to her office where it smelled like dog and stale smoke. So we decided this would not be the place for our mom! Somethings needs to be done about how [removed] this woman was.
Sorry for this is not the right place
Disappointed

more concern about eating than people

My daughters and I recently had the pleasure of visiting this community. A blond headed lady had to let us in and explain to us that she was in the middle of her lunch, As I was trying to explain my mothers situation she kept on eating. It was then I decided that this was not the place for my mom. Although she stated she was starving we felt that this was very unprofessional to do such a thing.

Doing well

My Father is doing very well here.

Very nice place

So far we're very pleased with how things have turned out at Brookside Glen! I've only visited a few times so far, but every time I've seen the place it has looked clean and well kept. The staff here is friendly and compassionate, and they seem to genuinely care about the people they look after. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking into care in the area!

A very nice option

I was very impressed with the staff who were very caring with the residents and friendly to me. The building is an older one, but they are making changes which will make a big difference in asthetics. The residents I saw appeared clean and content - they were engaged various activities in the building. Many had gone on the activity bus.

I would definitely consider this community for my loved one.

Did not like this one

We toured this community when we were looking into care options for my loved one. We didn't like this one much, based on what we saw during our tour. The place just had an old and dingy feel, and it just wasn't somewhere I'd be comfortable placing my loved one.

Would not recommend

Mom started out with hopes of being involved in activities, she really just required assisted living to begin with. I was my mom's power of attorney but the staff never notified me when there were issues. I ended up having to pay $18 an hour for a sitter because the staff was so small they could not properly care for my mom. Mom began bathing and toileting in the dark so they changed her to the Memory Care Unit. There she fell 3 times and made 3 emergency room visits within a 96 hour timeframe. That's when we knew we needed to find her a new home. Before all this happened I called David Johnson, their CEO, and told him my concerns. I stated the employee break room was disgusting, and he acknowledged they knew but indicated nothing would be done about it. In the Columbus, GA area there are only two other options, Spring Hill which is very expensive and requires a $15,000 down payment, and Emeritus that offers semi-private rooms and public showers. For us, Brookside Glen seemed like the best choice, but I would not recommend this place to anybody.

Brookside Glen Assisted Living is built on a commitment to our residents and families. We believe no two people are alike, so the services and attention we provide should never be exactly the same. That's also why we offer a variety of lifestyle service and care options. By providing these choices, we not only offer solutions for today, but we provide the security of knowing that there are options for tomorrow.

Because we are a smaller community, our residents enjoy a warm homelike comfortable environment, and there's no "buy-in" costs, just a month-to-month lease. Our staff and residents create a family atmosphere where hugs and laughter are a part of everyone's day.

Come "LIVE with us!"