Brookdale San Marcos North - San Marcos, TX

Brookdale San Marcos North - San Marcos, TX has yet not published prices.

Good Experience

My tour of this community went well. Everyone was very kind, and friendly. From what I was shown the community was well maintained, and everything was nice, and clean. The staff I came across was cordial, and helpful. They were informative, answered my questions. The experience went well, and this is a pretty nice community.

We liked this community

Everyone we met at this community seemed so upbeat. We really liked this community and they did seem to offer some nice activities and amenities. If you have the money I would recommend taking a look at this community.

A good community

Mom loves living at Brookdale. The staff have been helpful and nice. The food is fantastic and they offer good choices. They keep the community clean. Mom is enjoying the activities. I would recommend this community.

Pleasant Tour Overall

I toured this community for my mother. and her needs. Everything went well for the most part. The community looked well-kept, and everything was well maintained. The staff was friendly, and my questions were answered. The experience was a nice one, but I did find another community that suited our needs better.

Good environment and pet friendly.

My mother moved here recently and she is still adjusting.The biggest issue is they don't have enough activities. She likes most of the food and hasn't had many complaints. I chose this community because I liked he environment when I walked in and the staff was very friendly. We also appreciate that it is pet friendly and she can have her dog there.

No Complaints

My mom is very most satisfied with the community she is living in. They keep it clean for everyone. My mom has not complained about the staff behavior, they are doing fine. The meals are good for my mom, she is eating the meals. Our main reason for choosing them is because the community is in a convenient location for our family members to visit her.

Serious Medication Administering Errors, Twice in Two Years

My 92 year old father is dependent upon the facility to properly administer and keep track of his medications. Twice, in two years, the nursing staff has failed to implement medication changes even with doctor's orders faxed to the facility and being advised of the changes verbally and in person by family members. The most recent problem resulted in him being given a 40% overdose of the maximum recommended dosage for over a month before I personally checked his medications.

Very Nice Community, But A bit Expensive

It has been a pretty good experience for my mother here at this community. She is still adjusting, but I know she is in good hands. They are providing her with good care. The community is very well maintained, everything is very nice and clean. The staff have been helpful and attentive. It is a bit expensive for our budget, but so far everything is going well.

Smooth Transition

My mother really loves it, I as well think its great. She has made new friends with the other residents there which is very nice for her. There is not one thing that I don't like about this place. The staff is really friendly. For myself and my mother the transition into the community was very smooth she was ready to be taken care of even though she is very independent as well. At Horizon Bay she is able to be taken care of and still have her independence.

Interactive

I enjoyed seeing the interacting staff with the residents. They went out of there way to make the residents feel important.

It's only been a month, but these are our impressions.

The apartments were also a little too small

We toured here when we were looking. It was a bit too far away to really be in the running for us. The apartments were also a little too small for all of the belongings we had. It was nice and clean, and the staff was friendly. This just wasn't for us.

Review of Horizon Bay San Marcos Alzheimer's / Memory Care in San Marcos, TX

This is an older property. The rooms were big and the residents were everywhere (meaning they were not cooped up in their rooms). Atmosphere was very lively, but not sure it would be a good fit for dad as he is more conservative.

expectations and reality

Like any place they over promise and then try to back off once arrived. HZB-SM is an older building that has a great real home feel. The staff is very attentive but it is a business. Mom has early stages ALZ so moving has been very traumatic. My biggest let down is it seems they have not been able to help as well with "new" surroundings and getting that adjustment curve made. Instead they are suggesting move to memory care too often. I just feel this is being suggested to simplify their role.

We are finally starting some therapy (only took 6 weeks to get services added) so hope this will make improvements.

The food here is off the charts good and I have eaten with mom several times.

They finally got the people mover repaired (took about a month) and off site excursions have began again. Wasn't told these were not happening when moved in. The off site component was a sales tool used in the beginning process.

I do believe that the staff is looking after the residents in a professional manor but just lacking the extras touch. Everything is by the book - meds and such. I'm seeing that the typical staffing and spreading as thin as possible is also going on here like everywhere else. Don't get me wrong I'm very happy with the staff but feel I was promised more when still looking for a place but reality is now a different scale. The main core of the staff does exit the building at or around 5 pm as the 8 hour shift has gone. Maybe if they staged a few to start later and stay a little later it would be good.

With ALZ patients you can't really have a redo and say well this place did a better job with adjustments. So I do ask myself if I'm judging the work they have done too harshly. Sales promises or one thing then reality and move forward.

Bottom line mom is in a safe place, has good food and is being looked after. With her condition is she getting the best level of care - probably.

Nice looking place, not a great fit for us

We toured this community when we were looking into care options for a loved one. Overall this was a nice looking place. It seemed well kept and well managed, and the staff were friendly and professional. I don't think it would have been a good fit for my loved one, however. It was too big and too fancy for him, he mostly keeps to himself so many of the activities and amenities would have been wasted on him.

Because there was a awaitin...

Because there was a awaiting list at Horizon we cancelled our scheduled appointment with Tracy until a later date. However, yesterday we had an appointment with Rio Terra at 1:00 PM where they had a vacancy in their Memory Care Unit and are in process of having my father-in-law admitted to Rio Terra. Thanks for your assistance.

Very busy place, residents ...

Very busy place, residents were out and about. Very impressed with Tracey, loved her. But this is the furthest from us. Rooms were sizable, but this one might be an option.

The transition

The transition from one's long time home to senior living apartment style living is quite an adjustment, but one that it was time to make. My mom agreed to give it a short term try to see what she thought. I selected Horizon Bay in San Marcos, mainly for the location which is a few miles down the road from me and all seems to be going well! I was worried about mom making new friends, but that has been a breeze. She always comments how nice everyone is. Another requirement she had was the food had to be good, and it is! The location of her apartment in the building has been a bit of a challenge as she has difficulty walking very far and she has a little dog that needs to get out and about. Hopefully we can come up with an answer for that one soon. All in all, I feel she is adjusting well. Always someone to visit with and always fun things to participate in. I like seeing her stay active and involved with life. All in all, I think it's growing on her and I hope she decides to stay.

Love this place, and mostly the people.

Love this place, and mostly the people.

I visited this location about a year ...

I visited this location about a year ago and loved it but not sure if they have the care for Dad now.

Love this place and this is where we ...

Love this place and this is where we are going to try and move to.

visited them last week with mom in th...

visited them last week with mom in the van. Talked with director and she met mom. seemed like a nice enough place.

Must furnish own transportation to do...

Must furnish own transportation to doctors' appointments. Also have a huge processing fee to move in.

great open entrance, residents out an...

great open entrance, residents out and about, dinning room upstairs, saw some of the caregivers, liked the apartments, nice bathrooms, individual shower, great view, had a great visit with the director.

month-to-month; cable + utilities (no...

month-to-month; cable + utilities (no phone) Bible study ? transportation for medical appts? Brookdale affiliated_wide-range of services

“Our residents feel like we are a very close-knit family and they appreciate that.” Horizon Bay Vibrant Retirement is located in beautiful Hill Country near the San Marcos River. The community is set back off the road on three acres, among the oak and cedar trees in a quiet and peaceful setting on Ranch Road 12, heading west toward Wimberly and Blanco.

Our apartments feature large bay or corner windows, which allow plenty of natural light to flow into the apartments. You can enjoy priceless hill country views from your own apartment home! Residents enjoy walking on the level sidewalks in our back yard, where purple martins and deer feed, or gathering by the cozy fireplace in the living room. Plus, we have all the conveniences you’ll need, including an on-site beauty shop.

Residents can continue their stories by staying active in mind, body and spirit. Favorite activities are Bible study, exercise classes, Chicken Soup for the Soul and Mind Aerobics. Our programs strive to encompass the six dimensions of wellness: emotional, intellectual, spiritual, vocational, social and physical. Our dining programs offer meals at any time and we have a special program to track the nutritional value of meals. We have a variety of regional cuisine and delicious dining choices and we are sensitive to special needs, even offering sugar-free desserts each day.

For those who need assistance with daily activities, our highly trained staff creates a personalized program tailored to supplement each resident’s level of independence.

Residents with Alzheimer’s or related memory challenges reside in a supportive environment with familiar surroundings. Families can have full confidence that loved ones will receive the care they need in a caring, secure environment.

Call or come by today and we’ll be happy to show you all that we have to offer. The full calendar of activities provides community members with a life of relaxation and recreation. The intellectual, cultural, and social engagements give residents plenty of opportunities to build strong bonds with peers, family, and staff.