Brookdale Bath - Akron, OH

Toured

This is a larger community and it seems like they take good care of it. They have a lot of nice common areas and a beauty shop on site. The people we met were friendly. This community was just a little farther away than the community we chose.

Not the best

My Dad ended up here when we had limited options for putting him into assisted living as was needed for him. BB seemed Ok, but it was not. It was winter & the room he was in constantly overheated and they could/ would not remedy it. Staff were friendly, but not consistent in care or knowledge of him as a resident. His only solace was he had quiet there.

Choices for dad

We toured this community for care for my father. The community had a lot of good options available. We did want a community that would be easy for my father to be able to get around. This is a clean environment and they offer a good menu. We would suggest that families tour this community for the care of a family member.

Terrible

It's s shame that assisted livings are taking more acute patients but don't have the staff to care for them. My dad would have to wait up to 45 minutes for someone to come to his room after he put his light on. The aides were wonderful but overworked and could not possibly care for the amount of patients they had. One LVN for 60+ patients is ridiculous. I found management totally unaware of what was actually going on. I'm so sorry my dad was in this place.

To dark and depressing!

This was another one of the depressing places that we saw. The community was so dark and there really wasn't much going on there. They also were about to begin remodeling, but who wants to live somewhere that they are remodeling.

Great Respite Stay Experience

My brother's respite stay experience here at this community is going very well. He is enjoying his time here, and has even gotten involved in the community with the activities they offer. I know he is in good hands. They have a great staff, they have been very helpful. You can tell they really take the time to get to know their residents. The food is very good, he is pleased with the meals. It has been a great experience so far, and I would recommend this community.

made mom feel special

Overall the concept is really good and they do a good job.

There have been a thing or two where they could improve. For one, it took them forever after my mother moved in for the bed sheets to be cleaned. There was always an excuse and a promise that it would be done tomorrow. This is not a problem now, but it was for a while.

Everything else is good. They are very accommodating. They gave my mom presents on her birthday and have done various things (like preparing a nice special meal) to make her feel extra loved and special.

Nice looking, smaller community

We toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. I thought Brookdale Place of Bath was a very nice looking facility! It was clean and well kept, and the people who work here seemed friendly and caring. The community is on the smaller side, however, and we were interested in somewhere a little larger and more active feeling for my loved one.

It was great

It was great because the people were always wonderful. I am the medical power attorney for my dad and they took care of my needs and my dads needs. They are pretty darn good! This was a respite stay and we found that it had to be 2 more weeks and they helped me make that decision. They worked as a team and they talked to the people that are making the decision and make them feel comfortable. They let me have time to make my decision. They are great.

Bad fit for Mom and no control over medications

I placed Mom in this community after being kicked out of Chambrel. I was very candid with the director I met with about Mom's cognitive impairment and the resulting effects on her behavior and ability to adapt to new surroundings. I was assured that they would have no problem with Mom's cognitive issues and that, even though she requires additional attention to her needs, their staff would work to keep her healthy and happy and work with her to teach her how to adapt to the community. All seemed okay for about a month (not great because she needed guidance to use the phone and adapt to the surroundings which wasn't happening). But Mom was happy there, so I tried to make up for the inattention. ( I visit Mom every day). The staff were all very nice and treated Mom with respect. They did try to include her in activities. Then I noticed a rapid decline and that week found her, the only person remaining in the dining room, with no ability to respond to me and food all over the place except in her mouth. She had been trying but unable to eat and nobody even noticed! When taken to the hospital, it was determined she was dehydrated. She snapped right back, but over many months, between constant dehydration and UTIs, Mom had a rough time. The staff did finally work with me to resolve the dehydration issue, however while I was out of town, Mom became confused and was put on a drug without my knowledge and against my prior instructions. In trying to figure out why Mom was again declining, I was never told they had Mom on an addictive drug that she was obviously having a negative reaction to (not that they even noticed the negative reaction). I found out purely by accident and then while Mom was going through withdrawal, it really turned into a nightmare. Brookdale Place was unwilling to tolerate the effects of withdrawal and, long story short, evicted Mom due to incidents which were the results of withdrawal from the drug they put her on. After nearly two months of hospitalization and rehab, Mom is now in a smaller private facility where she is thriving. The negative effects of the drug she was administered are pretty much gone. However, she still does not trust anyone fully, but she is getting there.
Brookdale Place is a lovely community, however unless your loved one is relatively self-sufficient, the staff-to-resident ratio is insufficient to address special needs. Mom was not clean while she was there despite my concerted efforts and additional fees charged by Brookdale for her care needs which were, for the most part, not met. She is squeaky clean in her new home with no input from me other than my initial instructions. Her face is always washed, her teeth are clean, under her nails are clean, her clothes are clean, etc. I do have to say that the activities director at Brookdale was wonderful and the staff usually had something going to entertain the residents each evening. I enjoyed the staff and miss some of them, but I am furious with the director or directors who put Mom on that addictive drug with full knowledge that she has had multiple adverse reactions to medication, and without my permission. If your loved one is relatively self-sufficient, can take their own meds, and has no cognitive impairment, it is a lovely community. The staff is friendly, but the aides are overworked and spread way too thin to attend to anyone with needs beyond incontinence. Also, the aides double for waitresses and it takes a LONG time for the residents to get served dinner.

The were great, they took very good care of him and we were very satisfied with them. They always let me know when something needed to be taken care of. They were very nice people and did what they needed. It was a very clean place, it always smelled like good food. They make a good effort to keep people engaged and to participate.

Terrific layout, short hallways, many...

Terrific layout, short hallways, many mini lounges. Mostly assisted residents. The Director said there were card players. Not sure if bridge is one of the games. Nice front porch, but on a busy street, front yard not walkable. Small back patio only other outdoor area. Valet service may be available.

Beautiful place - TWO STORY NOT INTO ...

Beautiful place - TWO STORY NOT INTO ELEVATORS AND STAIRS Toured back in winter, new marketing person sent me new package. just too much with stairs.

Beautiful but atmosphere felt ' snobb...

Beautiful but atmosphere felt ' snobbish '. Very wealthy live here. My mom would not fit in. Manager was absolutely wonderful.

Brookdale Place of Bath provides our residents with lifestyles, housing, care and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs, and care. Through Brookdale’s signature Personalized Assisted Living we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each resident the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Our residents enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the proper lifestyle and care accommodations as their needs change.

At Brookdale Place of Bath we promise Respect for Individual Preferences and offer personalized care needs in an atmosphere that encourages each resident to live in health and longevity. Brookdale Place of Bath provides a comfortable lifestyle, housing, care and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs and care. Our residents enjoy life with any support they need, coupled with the appropriate accommodations as their needs change.

Our community is dedicated to enriching the lives of our residents every day with signature services to those who value their freedom and independence, but desire or need services providing them with the highest level of quality, care and value.

Our Clare Bridge Place program serves those with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia. Each day, we promise to work to deliver Daily Moments of Success for each resident. The Clare Bridge Daily Path provides structure and activities each day designed to meet specific needs of those with dementia, while the Clare Bridge Dining Program, designed by a gerontologist and registered dietician, helps residents retain the ability to enjoy and master the daily dining experience