Birchwoods at Canco - Portland, ME

Family member

My family and I toured several places around the Portland area. Birchwoods was the most friendliest, informative and accomadating. My Mother is moving in this Month. We all feel so releaved and happy.Thank you

I had a tour recently was very impressed. Had a good feeling the whole time I was there. Everyone seemed very happy. It was so informative. Just started looking to find the right place for my Mother and I found it.

vistor

I think Birchwoods is a great place homey and comfortable atmosphere. The employees have always been friendly and helpful. It's a shame that a disgruntle employee gives family members false information and negativity.

Not Happy

Visited Maine so we could see a loved one living at Birchwood Of Canco. Glad we visited because boy has that place gone down hill the past few years. Try calling and asking for a manager and find that no one is there during the day. Want to speak to a nurse, good luck. Where is the staff?
Rang our loved ones bell because they needed help. Waited in their room for far too long until someone showed up out of breath and frustrated. Got chatting and flat out asked her what kind of training they receive and she responded with an honest laugh telling us they receive no training at all and they simply follow another untrained person around for a few days then they are on their own.
Stayed for a meal and was less than impressed. We sat with the daughter of another tenant and her dad who told us the staff is constantly changing and that her dads care doesn’t seem like a priority. We both felt the money being spent didn’t match the care being given by a long shot. Ironic that we said that before the food was served, because that’s yet another thing that was atrocious. The person who previously came to the room was now the one serving our food and she seemed to have received just as little training on waiting a table. Fresh baked bread was the only good part.
We met the housekeeper and she was really the only person with a smile on her face who greeted us happily. The room was clean, so that was good. Wish we had asked her name.
There’s an obvious problem in this building and I sure hope it gets fixed, in the meantime we’ll be making our recommendations to have our loved one moved elsewhere.

Did NOT appreciate visiting my Mom today to find her in her own feces (sheets and carpet by her bed), really?????!!!!!!!!!

The first month

As is often the case, my mom didn't want to move to assisted living. Now, after she's been at Birchwood at Canco a month, she is settled and saying such positive things about her apartment. She says she's not going to miss a single Saturday scenic drive in the shuttle bus. She has a big sunny window looking out at the circular drive to the front door and loves watching the staff, visitors and delivery men come and go. The food is always good and she fears she has gained a pound. I stayed with her on a cot the first few days - the staff made sure I felt welcome. Everyone knows my mom by name and greets her with a smile.
And I feel relieved, knowing that she is safe.

The rent is paid, but do you care about their well-being!

2016 management staff does NOT care about residents well-being. Refrigerators in apartments should be on the cleaning list, especially with residents with memory issues! They should ensure residents are actually being taken care of: hair, toe nails clipped, sundries being provided (toothpaste, toothbrush, face cream, incontinent needs being met!) You know basic necessities of life for the elderly. Just because the rent is being paid, does not mean loved ones with control over finances are providing this care for their mother or father.

They have a caring staff. The facility is light, bright and and very friendly!

Very nice place!

We toured (and selected!) this community while looking into care options for a loved one. Our loved one has not moved in yet, but we've been very impressed by Birchwood at Canco already! The tour was very thorough and informative, and the staff have all been a big help throughout the whole process!

I think they should have more cottages

I think they should have more cottages , they only had a few.

They are excellent. I really like it there.

They are excellent. Cindy Butts, is in charge and she is terrific, I can talk to her and she always cares. It's nice and clean, and dining room is lovely. The food is good, they offer different classes and activities, but I haven't done any yet. The other residents are pretty friendly, cordial and polite. I really like it there.

very kind and helpful

Birchwood at Canco does seem to be rather short staffed. The ratio of staff to residents is not what it should be. The food there is also not that great, and mom has complained about that a couple of times.

They have, however, been very kind and very helpful with my mother. Overall it has been a very good experience. Just the food and the amount of staff are the only areas I can see where they could improve. They really went out of their way helping us get settled. They have been very attentive to moms needs. They really do the best the can with the staff they have.

Very nice community

Overall I think they're doing a good job at Birchwood at Canco. It's a nice looking facility, and the individual rooms are much nicer than many of the other places I saw, and at a much better price as well. They've also got an incredibly friendly director who has been very easy to work with.

I'm very pleased, they are very attentive.

I'm very pleased, they are very attentive. Even with the number of residents that are there. They seem to really care about the residents. They have trouble adhering to special dietary requirements. The food quality is okay, but they do not keep to the requested diet restrictions.

Really great

My loved one only stayed for a little while, but I thought it was great. It was a very welcoming community. The administration, Cindy - in particular, was wonderful and understanding and accommodating.

It's awesome, phenomenal. They are really good.

It's awesome, phenomenal. They are really good. She has adjusted well. Everything just fell right into place. I appreciated that whenever I would talk to people from the community on the phone, they were always honest and up front with me.

clean, bright, and cheerful...

clean, bright, and cheerful. easy for disabled. Activities room was boring. nice places to sit and read. looks like a hotel. Food looked good....

My in-laws are there and I think they...

My in-laws are there and I think they would give Birchwood at Canco five stars.

This is also a very nice facility whi...

This is also a very nice facility which has both assisted living and Alzheimer patients. It's not a secure facility so I told them "no."

Birchwoods at Canco Assisted Living located in beautiful Portland, Maine, combines the care seniors need, the convenience they value, and the independence they cherish.

Birchwoods at Canco is beautifully designed with spacious common areas to enjoy with family and friends. Our gracious dining room features three delicious, chef-prepared meals daily, served by a cheerful and friendly staff. Caring on site staff are available day and night and a safety call system is in every suite. Additional amenities include maintenance and housekeeping services, scheduled transportation to and from appointments and shopping, and weekly linen service.

At Birchwoods, we promote an active adult lifestyle by offering a variety of intellectual, cultural, and recreational activities including an exciting wellness and fitness program, creative writing classes, gardening and book clubs, table games, and planned outings to go shopping, visit museums and galleries, or take in concerts and theatre performances. We often have live entertainers visit at Birchwoods for everyone to enjoy, and weekly movies are shown on our wide-screen TV with refreshments included.

Health and personal care services at Birchwoods at Canco are coordinated by our full-time Registered Nurse.

It would be our pleasure to introduce you to our community in person. Call today to schedule a complimentary meal and tour of Birchwoods at Canco Assisted Living in Portland, Maine.