Bernice Laidlaw Adult Family Care Home - Palm Bay, FL

I had an appointment with B...

I had an appointment with Bernice at 11am and when his daughter, R, and I arrived, we heard a lot of yelling and commotion going on in the house before she finally answered the door and then told me I was supposed to call and make an appointment. I then informed her that I did have an appointment and she finally remembered who I was and that i indeed did make an appointment with her the day before. I then asked her if we could come in and she said 'just a minute' and shut the door and the was yelling at the woman who was trying to get out of the house when she had the door open the first time. We all finally went in and she asked who the patient was. I told her the RESIDENT would be R and introduced them. She said out loud that it didn't look like there was anything wrong with him and kept referring to him as a patient even after I asked her to please refer to him as a resident. The room she showed us was unkept, broken closet door, etc. and completely decorated for a woman (Which of course I realize could be changed)But she kept asking R what was wrong with him and was saying it doesn't look like there is anything wrong with him. And when we told her he has Dementia/Alzheimers she then proceeded to ask him a series of questions like What the date was and who the president was and when he got the answers wrong, would sternly say 'Now c'mon R, you can do better than that! It doesn't look like there is anything wrong with you!' I then asked about activities and planned outings, etc. and she said she doesn't do all of that and that would be the families responsibility. We decided this wasn't the a place we would want to have him at and didn't even bother looking at the rest of the house. While we had to wait for her to get the key to unlock the door from the inside the female resident that was there was begging us to take her home with us saying 'Please take me with you, I don't want to stay here, please!' And Bernice kept sternly telling her to sit down and be quiet. I then asked her if she had any other residents and she said yes I have another male 'patient' and when we asked where he was, she said he was out walking and usually comes back in the evening time. Mind you it was 11am when we arrived. So needless to say, we were not in the least interested in such a place. especially the fact that you need a key to get in the house as well as out of the house, which led me to believe she is incapable of watching her residents 24 hours a day and also scares me into thinking what might happen if there was ever a fire. i don't know if it's legal to have a keyed on both sides deadbolt in an adult family care home, but i would much prefer an alarm of some sort when the door opens than to actually lock them in the house. Either way, I am definitely not interested in a place such as this.