Arbors of Bedford - Bedford, NH

Nice Community

The community was very nice to tour. It was clean and well maintained. The staff was personable and kind very professional. They were very informative and helped us with any questions we may have had. The location was not really what we were looking for though we had wanted something a little closer to my dads doctors and the hospital that he normally uses.

Ask a lot of questions

I spent almost a week, from a Friday to the next Thursday at this place. After my experience there as a respite patient I learned I would NEVER, EVER would want my worst enemy there!

When you drive up towards this beautiful yellow building, that looks like a home, along with beautiful flowers adorned all over the place. As you walk in the front door there is a beautiful grand piano and luscious carpet, in a big bright room. Over in the far corner is fresh(?)fruit in a big bowl next to a Keurig coffee machine and several different coffee choices. Sometimes there are baked goods as well.

The sad thing is people don't really know what is behind those frosted windows on the the doors on either side of this so-called "beautiful" place. I could probably write a whole book about my experience and it would be sad.

Key issues:

Cleanliness - thin rugs were put down all throughout both Dementia and Alziemer units and in bedrooms. Food, drink, urine, feces, vomit and who knows what else goes on to these rugs every day. This stuff gets picked up, but the rugs are not cleaned every day. Try spending a week in a room where you smell nothing but urine, because someone accidentally didn't shut the valve off on my catheter AND no one could be bothered to spend 10 or 20 dollars on a mattress cover for my roommate who wets the bed every night then they try to air dry the mattress which made the room smell even worse! I felt more bad for her than myself. I ended up donating some pads of mine that helps keep the bed from getting wet. I just hope they use them for her.

Never, ever enough staff:
The turnaround rate is ridiculous. The new ones that are still there, they have so much enthusiasm to want help, then they get so burned out working, because they never have enough workers! Then when they call out it's even worse, because they never have anyone to fill in because they are burned out too! There are a couple of very special LNA's that have been there for years. They went above and beyond the call of duty of which they are accustomed to and I will be forever grateful to. There has been several nights where there would be just one LNA and a nurse to help the whole Alzheimer's unit get dinner and help them get ready for bed. I could get more into this, but it's too long of a story.

Vent, heating and cooling problems:
The air, in general, is gross. It makes you feel sick. It's either too cold and everyone freezes then you go to other side and it's to hot or just gross feeling. In the middle of the night the heat goes on and you die from the heat!

Food:
Disgusting. All processed and canned food. Rarely anything fresh, like fruit or salad. Even the jello was gross and I usually like jello!

Activities - not enough staffing, so people suffer just hanging around in a circle falling asleep out of pure boredom or get agitated because of the boredom.

I could just go on and on..... the point is when you are looking for a place for your loved one, don't look at just the cover, look deep inside and ask tons of questions and ask other people who have their loved ones living there.

I would want to die before going to any of these places.

Dear Caleigh,

We’re very sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your respite experience with us. Each of our residents has different needs and we do our best to address them. Cleanliness is a major part of our daily operations and we're disappointed to hear you felt that was an issue. We are always available and interested in hearing about and working through any issues our residents or families may be experiencing. Not only do we want to make things right with you, we believe that dealing with and remedying ways in which we may have fallen short makes us better able to serve all of our residents going forward. Feel free to call us at [removed] and ask for Melanie Dunn to discuss further.

So Well Worth the Move

It was a 1,000 mile move to bring my beloved husband to the Arbors of Bedford......so worth every mile.
The Arbors is lovely in appearance and is beautifully kept.
What really stands out is the staff from top to bottom. Making me comfortable from the beginning is what tipped the scales in favor of the choosing The Arbors.
The care that is given to my husband is the very best. Every caretaker in his unit is kind and considerate. He is delighted to have made the move as am I.
I would highly recommend the Arbors to any and all who are searching for a 5* home for your loved one.
Kudos to all that make this such a wonderful place.

Clean Well Kept Up Community!

The Arbors of Benford is a good community. The place is maintained well and the staff is friendly and attentive, they do the best they can. The Facility is close to my home, which is convenient for me. The meals prepared are nutritious and on good portions.

Warm friendly well kept premium place

The staff from top to bottom couldn't be any nicer and any more friendly. The place is very well kept and bright and will maintained. They tell a good story about all the activities and all the science behind their treatment of various forms of dementia. Perhaps we waited too long to get Mom in there but I haven't really seen anything that unique in terms of activities. I have visited on various times of day and days of the week and mostly I see residents sitting around in the living areas with the TV on. Mom complains of being bored and when I see her she is usually alone in her room. I would l like to see more engagement of the staff with the residents but maybe I just catch it at off times. Don't know.

First Appearance seems like a winner

Very helpful and friendly tour. I met with many people and they all seemed to very knowledgable. I made the decision to move Mom from another facility to The Arbors, as this place seems to be better

Very nice place!

We're very pleased with how things have turned out at Arbors of Bedford. It's a nice looking, clean facility, and the staff is friendly and professional. They were a big help to us throughout the whole touring and move-in process, and really went out of their way to help our loved one get settled in and acclimated to the community!

Helpful and Caring

As far as the caregivers go, they are very helpful and caring. I think that the food should be a little bit better than what it is though. They bring the food up in these warmers and usually it is not that warm and it is sort of old. I think everything else is okay though. I am happy with where my loved one is at.

I've had difficulty getting the staff to shower my husband daily. He is not elderly, unfortunately, and needs a daily shower. I get the impression at times that there is not enough staff to cover the resident population.

Ted Doyle

I'm very sorry to hear your dissatisfaction with The Arbors of Bedford. I would welcome the opportunity to meet with you to discuss any concerns that you have about you husband's care. Quite simply, what you describe is unacceptable, and I assure you it will be looked into. We realize that despite our best intentions, we sometimes fall short of the mark, and we always welcome the opportunity to improve what we do.

Please feel free to call me directly. Sincerely, Peter Trouberg (Executive Director)

STAY AWAY!!!!!

Simply put,,,disgusting! The new Executive Director is never in the building and is basically non existent. I don't know about you but if your own Administrator doesn't feel the need to be in the building on a regular basis, then how can the care be any good? How does the parent company allow this to happen? We just had my mother there for a Respite stay and I could not wait to get her out fast enough. We had a family friend stop by to visit her one day and she look like a mess. Her hair was dirty and unkempt. Her clothes were covered with food and she smelled of urine. Thank you LCB for taking my money but opening my eyes to your business practices. You may never see me again but I will be sure to pass on my experience

Ted Doyle

We’re very sorry that you were unhappy with your experience. It is never okay for our residents or their families to feel anything less than completely satisfied, which is one of the cornerstones that has made LCB’s communities successful.

As for our Executive Director’s availability, while they do have a role that takes them out into the surrounding community occasionally, there should never be a protracted period of time when they are not available in person or by telephone.

We are always available and interested to hearing about and working through any issues our residents or families may be experiencing. Not only do we want to make things right with you, we believe that dealing with and remedying ways in which we may have fallen short makes us better able to serve all of our residents going forward.

Good Communication

They have been very good at communicating with us about my father-in-law's care. We had very bad experiences with other facilities, and Arbors has got him engaged in activities and he has settled down a little. Overall we are pleased with them.

Outstanding

The Arbors of Bedford is outstanding. The staff is very friendly and courteous. They are very helpful. The location is outstanding. The level of care is very clear. The communication with the staff has been very, very good. I would recommend the Arbors of Bedford to anyone. It found this to be the best choice in our area. I can't rate the activities yet because we haven't been there long enough. (Not Applicable)

They are doing very, very good.

They are doing very, very good. They are excellent. The nursing is outstanding. The staff is right on the ball. The food is excellent. I don't have any complaints whatsoever! We are extremely happy with them. If a five is the best then I want them to have a five.

Buyer beware

The only thing this place has going for them is the nursing care at this point. The Arbors does have some incredible nurses. Unfortunately, I have seen the decline of the facility over the past year and a half since Michelle Ellis left. She had been the administrator for years upon years. In the past year and a few odd months, I've seen FOUR administrators come through. This was after The Arbors was bought out by another company. I realize there is a high turnover rate in all long term care, but this is unreal. Employees are disgruntled and unhappy. I see their love for the residents when visiting my mother, but the atmosphere is just not what it used to be. All of the incredible activity staff is gone!! I see two of the girls occasionally, but they are overworked. Did the other assistants leave?? If The Arbors was like this when I found it for my mother years ago, I would have ran screaming in the other direction. My mom needs stimulation, she can't do much but she is getting nothing. With memory care popping up all over, you can likely find something less expensive with happier staff. For what I pay per month, plus hidden costs, my mother should be getting more.

Ted Doyle

We’re very sorry that you are unhappy with your current experience. It is never okay for our residents or their families to feel anything less than completely satisfied, which is one of the cornerstones that has made LCB’s communities successful.
It is always a transition when there are changes, but we believe that you will find the team we have in place now, led by Executive Director Peter Touborg, to be very keyed in and responsive to issues. We would urge you to meet with Peter to discuss your concerns, so that he can take the steps necessary to alleviate them.

Mixed feelings on this one

The layout and care in this facility cannot be beat. Perfect for my mother who likes to wander. The rooms are large and spacious. Most of the LNAs that have cared for my mother are outstanding. They treat her with kindness and she is always happy. As the review before mine stayed, the management turnover in this building in 2013-14 has been atrocious. I just found out that the lovely activity director is now leaving. The activity staff is the highlight of the building. They bring light and creativity to even my mother, who wouldn't pick up a paint brush before coming to The Arbors. They bring fun and educational programming to people that most would say can no longer learn. A concern is bringing old staff back in. It seems their sales department is a constant rotating door. I guess if you don't fill the seats, you're out in a month. This time they brought in a loudmouth woman that used to work there. All I hear from her are negatives. I was in the lobby today and she was saying how horrible the Christmas tree looked. The tree my mother helped decorate. It's a shame to see so many people come in and out and this LCB company holds onto the bad seeds. I hope this company wakes up before they lose even more families.

Lori Dodge

While I appreciate the kind things you say about The Arbors, I apologize if some recent experiences are not what you have come to expect of us. It is the Arbors' policy to maintain an open door when it comes to any and all issues, and I would very much welcome the opportunity to sit with you or speak on the phone regarding your concerns.
Please feel free to call me at [removed] if you would like to talk.
Sincerely,
Lori Dodge, Executive Director

Expanded care.

My loved one has only been there for a little while. They do expanded care, which assisted living doesn’t offer. It's either a nursing home or a place like this... The parking was okay. My loved one hasn’t complained about the food and my loved one was a good cook.

Lots of turnover in 2013-2014

My father has been in the Arbors Assisted Living for 19 months. We like the comfortable feel: carpeting throughout, homey chairs in living room, etc. However, be aware that ownership changed a year ago, and the entire management team has left. It's very worrisome to see the executive director, CFO, chief nurse, and sales mgr. leave the company, without successors. For several months, it seemed no one was overseeing the facility, just lots of empty offices. It's well known that this kind of turnover results in quality issues, and we have seen this ourselves. We are not sure if my father will stay there, it depends if they can stabilize the staff and care.

Dear Reviewer:

We’re very sorry that you have these concerns. It is The Arbors’ policy to maintain an open door when it comes to any and all issues, and I would very much welcome the opportunity to sit with you or speak on the phone regarding your concerns.

Please feel free to call me at [removed] if you would like to talk.

Sincerely, Lori Dodge, Executive Director

Very nice place, great care staff

We moved my loved one here from a facility in Massachusetts since the laws in NH allow for a higher level of care to be handled by non-nursing staff. This meant he was able to stay in an assisted living level community, whereas in MA he would be in nursing care. The staff here are very friendly, in particular the charge nurse for his floor, Cathy, has been great. The facility itself is nice looking, and they always keep it very clean.

A Place for Mom finds solution: Arbors is a match!

A Place for Mom is a wonderful service and without my advisor, I would not have found Arbors. Arbors was a perfect match for my mom's needs. As soon as I walked into the reception area, it felt homey. The tour of the facility was impressive. The building itself was clean, the atmosphere was warm and friendly, the residents welcomed me and talked about how much they liked it there. The staff is amazing, from the front desk, to the administration, to the direct care staff.
On my first visit to see mom, she looked happy and content. She said she loved it there. It was like a permanent vacation. God bless my mom and all her caregivers.
I happily recommend Arbors to other families currently caring for aging parents, who may start recognizing their loved one will need more care than the family can provide in the future.

Nice facility and good prog...

Nice facility and good programs

visited with Carol. Has wha...

visited with Carol. Has what we think is best for mom, down the road. Most likely will put a deposit down.

Established in 1998 The Arbors of Bedford is New Hampshire’s largest Specialized Assisted Living for people with Alzheimer’s, dementia and other memory impairments. The Arbors is unique because they provide all levels of care in an award-winning, “neighborhood” floor plan design. The Arbors combines specialized assisted living services with medical care and supervision for more clinically complex needs.

Their charming neighborhoods are designed for activities and resident interaction. Their beauty/barber shop and family-style dining, along with many stimulating programs make The Arbors an enjoyable place to live. The Arbors knows that colors and lighting can play a significant role in the well-being of a person with memory loss. Every feature of The Arbors has been designed to provide comfort and to ease anxiety related to dementia.

The Arbors is located in Bedford, New Hampshire, fifty miles from Boston and adjacent to the state’s largest city of Manchester. Bedford is viewed as an upscale residential town with a population of approximately 22,000.