Sunshine Heights - Los Angeles, CA

A God-send!

After having a bad experience with Board-and-care homes in the past, I was skeptical. A Place for Mom came through with this referral. It' close to my home, in a great neighborhood, great ratings -- I had to investigate. Very pleased with my findings.

The staff and administrator are "real" people that are the best. You can feel the caring spirit in each of them. They take very good care of my loved one.

Best care ever!

My Uncle lived at Sunshine Heights for over 2 years. I am a nurse, so I am fussy about cleanliness and care. This place is run extremely well. I visited my Uncle about twice a week while he was there, and it was always clean, never smelled, and was bright and cheerful.
It can be hard to please seniors as their world shrinks, but the staff was always working to provide Jim with things that made him happy. He loved the cat. He loved to paint and draw Nd they helped him with his as long as they could. He loved football and old movies and they always had him tuned into the game or the right movie station.
Jim was pretty much bed-ridden and he was very thin. He never had a sore or broken skin on him. Dr. Elke Senegal is great on providing nutrious meals, but also put up with us providing Jim with the goodies that he loved.
I would highly recommend Sunshine Heights. It is in a lovely neighborhood and feels like home. The staff is kind and treats all residents as individuals. It is a very special place!

I really liked it, it was very nice.

I considered this for my loved one when I was looking for a place. I really liked it, it was very nice. I didn't choose to go with a residential facility like this. I felt like it wasn't the best fit for my loved one, but if I was going to choose this type, it probably would have been them.

Mom's Care at Sunshine Heights

Sunshine Heights has been a wonderful choice for my mother who suffers from advanced dementia, diabetes among other health issues. The caretakers are kind and sensitive to her needs. Elke has been wonderful as she is open to creating solutions for my mother and her continued transition and care. The house itself is so clean and comfortable a short walk to a lovely park. I'm so glad we choose Sunshine Heights.

sunshine heights

My Mom’s been a resident there for over two years. The facility addresses my Mom’s special needs with care and in a professional manner which includes taking her to doctor’s appointments and staying with her during the appointment. They attend to her changing needs. The staff is attentive and friendly.
I highly recommend this facility.

The Best

My mother developed severe dementia, and in a very short time, was unable to do anything on her own, and required full time care. She has always been an incredible mother, and my sister and I wanted to find a place for her where she could be happy and lovingly cared for, and given individual attention - but we didn't think such a place existed. The places we first saw only depressed us. When we first arrived came to see Sunshine Heights, it was different from every other place we'd seen. Not only was it beautiful, immaculately clean, sunny and with a very open feeling - but the owner, Elke, spent an hour with us, really engaged in finding out about our mother, and about us. Nobody else had done that, and it made a huge difference.

At the end of the first week, my mom motioned to me, and tried to make sure that I was "tipping them well - because the service here is amazing". I realized at that moment that she thought she was in a resort! Those were tears of joy for us, because given everything, that was the best thing she could have told us.

It's been two years now, I visit about once a week, and it is always immaculately clean, always beautiful, and always welcoming. It's the kind of place that you feel happy in, where you want to go visit. Elke has pulled off something amazing. And for us - a miracle. My mom is staying somewhere where she is attended to, stimulated, cared for, with friends she's made there that have become family, and where she can relax to the sound of a waterfall and flowers outside, and where I know she feels loved.

I am relaxed knowing that she is there. Elke maintains great communication with us. and my mom is happy. We really hit the jackpot, and I couldn't be more grateful.

A Great Place for My Mom

I had been looking diligently for a place for my 89 year old mother who could no longer live alone due to a compression fracture in her spine. She now required support for her daily living needs. While she was in rehab and after many tours at different facilities, I finally found a place for my Mom at Sunshine Heights located in a very nice residential neighborhood in Los Angeles. From the outside, you would not know this was an elder care home.

Sunshine Heights is run by Dr. Elke Senegal. She has many years of experience in elder care. She is educated and sensitive to the needs of her residents. On a continuous basis, she was engaged in caring for my Mom and doing what was best for her. She was committed to providing healthy foods for her residents because she believes that in order to be healthy, you have to eat healthy foods. It was the first time in a long time that my Mom's appetite improved. One comment my Mom made was that the food was delicious! Also, the residents eat all their meals together to encourage a social environment. One thing my Mom enjoyed (me, too!) was the house cat that lives there. Her name is "Chiquita" and her presence just adds to the homeyness at Sunshine Heights.

I visited my Mom regularly, and found the home to always be very clean, which was important to me. In elder care facilities, offensive smells are common, but not at Sunshine Heights. It just smells clean! Also, the home feels very calm and peaceful. My Mom enjoyed her interactions with the staff who were all so kind and loving. A BIG plus is that there is one caregiver to 3 residents. At larger facilities, it could be one caregiver to 10-12 residents. This meant my Mom's needs would be accommodated for much quicker. If any of my Mom's needs changed, Dr. Senegal always kept me updated.

I would highly recommend Sunshine Heights to anyone I know who is looking for a place for their aging parent. I did not want my Mom to be in any place that did not meet my personal standards, and Sunshine Heights truly hit the mark!

Great service

We at 'Palliative Care Doctors Group, Inc' have a few patients in this facility and we notice that the care is absolutely amazing here. The staff really take good care of patients and always are aware of their needs.

Sunshine Heights

My mom has lived at Sunshine Heights for 1 1/2 years. I have always been impressed with the cleanliness and organization of this home. The neighborhood is quiet and safe. The caregivers are very sweet and helpful. I feel that I can be sure that they are paying attention to my mom's needs.

My first hand experience

I toured several homes before coming to Sunshine Heights, as soon as I walked inside I knew that this is what I was looking for, immaculately clean, serene and fresh smelling with lots of natural light on a quiet street. My 91 year old mom lived here the last few months of her life and was well cared for around the clock, all of her needs were met which eased my mind, I knew she was safe and secure when I could not be there with her. The caretakers cook fresh daily and the proprietor lives on premises. Residents are encouraged to eat meals together at the dining room table just like any family..............

Superb care

We totally recommend SUNSHINE HEIGHTS and we are willing to continue our relationship with them.

nice area, nice home, has a nice feel...

nice area, nice home, has a nice feeling liked it. Director is great

It is obvious that the director is ve...

It is obvious that the director is very knowledgeable and experienced, but the energy level of the residents was not up to the needs of my mom.

Sunshine Heights is a beautiful residence in a very nice quiet neighborhood in Ladera Heights.

A six bedroom family house with a pool and a water feature in the backyard. Nice sunny and bright living/dining room area with an open fireplace. Not too far from the Marina del Rey Harbor and all the amenities that the Marina has to offer.

It is a peaceful sunny and lovely home for seniors that makes them feel comfortable to live their life the way they like it. We see our priority in supporting them in everything they want to do, providing the highest standard of individualized and personal care with a high ratio of trained caregivers, live-in and night staff and a combined experience of over 30 years.

We strive to keep the seniors engaged in life, catering to each resident’s needs and enjoyment, including going to a baseball or basketball game, visiting the opera, watching a movie, attending an exhibition at the museum, going out for lunch, visiting the Marina or in-door activities that keep their mind and body busy.

All rooms are suitable for seniors who need assistance with daily living activities such as mobility, bathing, fall prevention, exercise and medications.

Most health con­­ditions can be accommodated in conjunction with Home Health.