Sunrise of Shelby Township - Shelby Township, MI

Very happy

There cannot be a better place for my mom. Before sunrise she was depressed and did nothing but watch TV. Now she is thriving for life again. She goes on outings and participates in the many activities they offer. Food isnt bad but they need to speed up service. The people that work there are so kind understanding and friendly. It is pricey but worth it if you can afford it. Parking is frustrating at times.

Run in the other direction

Lack of training throughout the building, zero compassion, lack of common sense, very sad.dont waste your money.

Sunrise Senior Living

Please know that we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more about your experience at Sunrise. Please email Information (at) SunriseSeniorLiving(dot) com with further details so we may follow up. Thank you. - The Sunrise Team

Memory care kept locked away upstairs

This is a very nice community, bright, clean and beautiful grounds, the staff did a very good job with my tour, they took their time showing me around and answering all my questions. What stood out to me was that the memory care was on the third floor away from the rest of the community. I didn't feel that there was much interaction between the other levels and residents there. I did feel that this was not going to be a good situation for my mother.

Our experience

My loved ones are adjusting to living at this community. The community does offer daily activities. The caregivers are very nice, however the wellness team seems disorganized and it is hard to get the same answer from different people. My loved ones have not complained about the food.

Living In Memory Care Wing

This community offers assisted living and memory care and my loved one is living in the memory care side. They offer a few activities on the memory care side but they are different from what the assisted living offers and that can be a difficult adjustment for a person going from one side to the other. The food appears good I have not personally eaten there. The staff seems to be friendly and nice. The memory care is clean however there is always a slight odor in the air.

They have made dad feel like he has a purpose

Dad has made such amazing progress since moving here I could not be more pleased. At first, it was a rocky start and we took him home but after sitting down with the staff and them listening they helped us with a solution and it was the right choice. He has gained weight. He went through physical and occupational therapy and he did so well they released him from those programs. He is helping out the caregivers s on his floor with other resident and it is making him feel like he is contributing. He gets along with the staff which is wonderful and all the residents and their families.
The community is clean and very well maintained. Dad doesn't seem to care for the food too much but I've eaten meals there several time and the food is very good.

Father is Doing Okay in This Community

My father is doing pretty okay with his move to this community. We might need to consider more options, but for now all is well. This is a good facility with kind people. They provide good meals for the residents. The staff is doing their best to care for him, and his needs. It has been a good experience, and this is a community I would recommend.

Fit To My Grandmothers Personality

We really liked the feel of this community. The decor really seemed to go match with my grandmothers taste. I really liked the way the rooms were setup with a little kitchenette, a sitting area and of course the bathroom and the bedroom. When she is not taking advantage of her sitting area in her room she is down doing some of the activities and making friends which are nice. She is enjoying the food and eating well. The community is kept very clean and the temperature is quite comfortable.
The staff is friendly and nice and very honest with their opinions and suggestions.

Don't get caught up in the appearance

You get lured into the facility with all the "bells and whistles". They do have a lot of activities for your loved ones and the facility is very nice looking. However, the employee turn over rate is high, and there is a lack of communication between employees which can result in lower care for your loved ones.

Their pricing was outrageous!

When I toured Sunrise, I quickly noticed it was not a good fit. They charged extra for everything. If my mother took 6 pills instead of 5, they charged extra. If she needed a diaper, extra. Also, the rooms were scared, it was not a choice for us.

Not a Good Fit

I got enough time to see the community while touring and noticed they were a multi-level place. It was a nice place but I need a community with no stairs. The person I met with was professional and gave a nice tour. I would recommend this to a friend.

To much clutter!

I looks like this community tried to make it a homely feeling, but failed. The place is way to cluttered. I did not care for it at all. The staff were nice and very helpful though. The community was clean, but it was hard to tell.

Move in

The staff has gone above and beyond to help us move my loved one in and make her feel at home.

An Outstanding Community

My mom is here getting top of the line experience. She enjoys the meals they serve her. The staff are friendly and attentive to my mom. I am happy with the level of care that is provided at this community and I would recommend them to family or friends.

Nice place!

Our experience with Sunrise of Shelby Township has been a good one, so far. It was a big change for my loved one, and it took her a bit to get settled in, but the staff is very friendly and welcoming. The facility itself is well kept and clean, and I think they do a good job looking out for the people who live here!

My mom has been at Sunrise of Shelby Twp. 5 weeks and I am very pleased with how my mom is being taken care - the caregivers are wonderful the food is very good and it's very clean .

My mom has only been there 2 weeks but so far she likes it !

Moms

This is the place for Moms! All moms love it here and it is the place for everyones mother to be safe and happy.

Very nice place!

We're very pleased with how things have turned out at Sunrise of Shelby! It's a very nice place! The staff is friendly and professional, and there is always someone around when you need them. The facility is clean and well kept, and it's just the right size for Mom, some of the places we looked at were just too big for her to be able to get around.

Only for the tamest of dementia patients

My father had been staying here for a while. He has early-onset Alzheimer's disease.

Be advised that if your loved one acts out or has a violent outburst, that they will be sent to the ER for a psychiatric consultation. This could be a hospital stay between a few days to a few weeks. This will happen in every instance of an outburst.

The floorplan is not conducive to a well-supervised living situation. It's not difficult for residents to roam around in areas where there is no staff to monitor them. With that being said, I think a better floorplan and better monitoring would allow them to intervene and prevent some incidents escalating to a violent outburst.

The staff is very friendly. They have great activities. But if your loved one isn't in a wheelchair and even has a slight chance of getting upset and having an outburst - I would recommend looking elsewhere.

Sunrise Senior Living

Thank you for your review; please know that we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more about your experience with Sunrise. Please email us at Information (At) SunriseSeniorLiving (Dot) com. Thank you, Sunrise Team

Nice looking place, not a fan of the floor plans

We toured this community while looking into senior living options. I really liked the look of this place! The commons areas and the dining room were all lovely, and the people who work here seemed friendly and professional. However, I was not a fan of the actual layout of the floor plans in the apartments.

Nice looking place, not a fan of the floor plans

When I brought my mom to Sunrise I knew she would not be there long since she was on hospice care. The people at Sunrise took care of my mom as if she was their mom. They helped me to spend as much quality time as possible with mom. Karen her care giver was amazing. She stayed with me to my mom's last breath. I can't thank all of the people at Sunrise for helping me get thru one of the most terrible times of my life.

I give them a general good.

I can only give them a general good. Our loved one hasn't gotten to spend much time there yet, there have been a lot of health issues to deal with. The doctor at Sunrise has been involved in her care. I think they have had her best interest at heart. When I did visit the facility it was very clean, and nice looking.

Very nice place overall

Things have gone very well so far with Sunrise of Shelby Township. My loved one is having a little trouble settling in, but the staff are doing a wonderful job of helping her feel comfortable. There is always someone available to help, and they do a great job with the one on one care. The only real issue we've had is that the dining service can be very slow, and as a result my loved one has been ordering a lot of room service.

My mom is very happy there, and we are excited that she is happy.

My mom is very happy there, and we are excited that she is happy. The staff is all very friendly, we know them all by name. The activities are good and right up her alley, they play bingo like four times a week and they have rosary. The food is very good, she loves food. It was a really nice place, and it fit her well. The rooms were really nice, not just box rooms. Overall we are really pleased.

This was truly a beautiful ...

This was truly a beautiful facility (in and out). I really liked the interactions that I saw between staff members and staff with residents! Everyone that I observed was engaged in an activity or simply enjoying conversations with other residents. Sadly, the pricing was too high for my Mom's monthly income which takes it off our list of options.

Avoid this place

My loved one lived here for a time, and I had nothing but problems with them.
Our first issue was that I ended up getting charged a huge amount due to a medication issue. Their plan allows you to have two medications per day that they will take care of and give to your loved one, but any extras involve a DAILY surcharge. My loved one was on two medications, but also had a prescription for xanax for occasional panic attacks. He did not need this often, but since they had to keep it on hand I was still charged daily whether he took it or not.
Another issue I had a big problem with was at one point we returned from a hospital stay and someone (I'm assuming it was staff members since this was a memory care facility) had been in his room watching his TV, and left chinese takeout on his coffee table which had long since dried up.They tried to tell me that my loved one, who has severe memory issues, somehow managed to acquire Chinese take-out and leave it there.
He also had an expensive pair of slippers go missing, which they said they would find for us. Whenever I asked about these later they would just blow me off. I felt like my complaints were often just ignored.
After being treated like this for his whole stay we moved him to another location which we like much more.
I would NOT recommend anyone use this facility.

Sunrise Senior Living

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to learn more about your concerns. Please email us (Information at SunriseSeniorLiving dot com). Thank you, Sunrise Team

Friendliness of the staff is a five plus.

Friendliness of the staff is a five plus. When we walked in it was a very home like environment and the people were very friendly and caring. They give you too much food. They feed everyone very well. The cost could be a little more affordable. I'm very, very satisfied with the care here. I don't have to worry.

Not what it used to be

When our family had to look for a place for our mother this was a great place, so we thought. In the last 4-6 months of this year (2013) this faucility has had a huge change in its staff> where there was once compassion and care for our mother no longer is there. The current staff is unable or willing to deal with the rollercoaster of difficulties associated w/ Dimesia or Alzimers.
Family members have had caregivers state that our mother is "cazy". she has had 3 UTI's and each time they sent her out to have a physic evaluation before she was aloud back.
They increased her cost to stay but are doing less for her. where there where activities to ingages the residents in the memory care unit no longer takes place. Our Mother Deserves better, We are in searsh for a new place.

Sunrise Senior Living

We're very sorry to hear about your experience in our community and would like to learn more so that we can better understand your concerns. Please contact us at information[at]sunriseseniorliving[dot][com]. -The Sunrise Team

Outstanding place!

We were as happy as could be with it. I know that both my wife and her sister were very pleased with it. I thought it was great, we've said that if we ever have to go into a place where we can't take care of ourselves anymore, that would be our first choice. My wife had gone and visited some of her aunts in a different facility and this was like night and day. If her mother called, there was somebody there immediately, we were just so happy with it. The unfortunate thing is that she wasn't really in a condition where she could enjoy being there, she went into hospice right away and wasn't eating. The meals were great, the first day she was in there we were invited to join them for lunch and the food was outstanding, we can't say enough about it. It made a great first impression and it didn't change the whole time she was there. The people that took care of her, they almost became like family, they almost treat it like it's not a job. If other people are looking for a place, this would certainly be first on our list.