South Lawn Shelter Care Inc - Bunker Hill, IL

Horribly Sad!

Upon the recommendation of A Place for Mom, I took my recently widowed aunt (87 yrs,) to visit this facility first since it was closest to her current home. Upon pulling up in front of the place we saw 6-7 people sitting outdoors in ratty chairs smoking. That in itself almost caused me to just drive away, instead, we decided to have a look inside since we already were there. We were buzzed in (?) and what we saw inside brought my aunt to tears. Although it didn't seem dirty, the facility was RUN DOWN to say the least. Old worn out furniture, dingy paint on the walls, poor lighting, and nothing upbeat or stimulating on the walls. There were no small apartments just bedrooms. Most of the residents seemed to be mentally challenged and between the ages of 35-50. We saw a few seniors as well. They had just finished lunch and seemed to be just sitting around bored. The 2 staff members were friendly and were kind to my aunt when they saw her crying. One took me aside to tell me that this was NOT the place for my aunt and gave me suggestions for assisted living communities in the area. A Place for Mom either did not check this place out or the person who did check it out was blind. This facility is a SHELTER not a senior living community. If you care about your loved one, DO NOT PLACE THEM HERE!! Honestly, my vet's office is more upbeat, stimulating, and modern that this place was.