Palms Place Home For The Elderly - Fremont, CA

I placed my mother here and am more than thrilled to have made the decision that I did. They are very flexible when it came to caring for my mother and their staff was extremely welcoming. I would strongly recommend this home to anyone looking for a board and care.

Very Satisfied

At first glace Palms Place home for t...

At first glace Palms Place home for the elderly looks like a well kept, inviting home where staff are focused on the individualized care needs of the client. Placing my mother at Palms Place however has been a highly frustrating and disappointing experience. While they are advertised as an ideal setting for elderly suffering from Dementia with associated behavioral challenges this clearly is not the case. Within a day and a half of placement the facilities administer was calling to bitterly complain about my mother.

While the co-administer is identified as a registered nurse she never stepped forward to assist and work toward resolving a very traumatic experience for my mother and her family members. Without any apparent level of empathy or understanding of the care needs of a person suffering from Dementia the administer and caretakers were exclusively focused on convincing us to remove my mother from their care as soon as possible. As a family member and a mental care professional I would strongly encourage anyone considering this residential care home as an option for their loved one suffering from such a debilitating illness as Dementia to reconsider. This is clearly a situation where “A book is not always as good as the cover”.

Lester Del Rosario

Here is our story regarding this situation:

Two very skilled professionals were also present during the initial interview with her son and the information presented by him at the time was deemed inaccurate. Primarily, her son did not disclose that his mother was combative. Had we known that information upfront, this resident would not have been admitted into our home on that basis alone. The resident's family also ordered my staff to increase her dosage of medications without a prescribed order from her primary care physician claiming that it was ok to do. In accordance with CA state law, we do not make any changes to medication until we receive a written order from the resident's appropriate doctor. To make matters more challenging, this resident refused to take her medication and would garner signs of being combative and verbally threatening our staff and residents during her time with us. The resident's family also decided to file a complaint with Community Care Licensing where the allegations were closed because there was no supporting information regarding their claims. I think that was the most disheartening part of this situation because we really had given 110% to do the absolute best job we could.

Ultimately, this specific resident presented a threat to the safety and well being to the other residents in the household both physically and verbally. The other residents in our home did not feel safe and there was a high level of concern from the other resident's family members that was brought to my attention. As mentioned, had we were given the appropriate information, we would have never admitted this resident due to the safety of our residents and compatibility alone.

Lastly, the family made claims that we advertised ourselves as a dementia unit. We are not a dementia or memory care unit nor did we ever advertise ourselves to be one. We care for residents with dementia but when the disease progresses to a particular level, it becomes beyond our scope of care. Unfortunately, this particular resident's level of dementia was better suited for a memory care or locked facility due to her combativeness, verbal cues and wandering. Given this circumstance, there are a lot of changes we have applied during the initial screening process for any potential resident so that we can avoid something like this from occurring again.

My best advice for any family looking for a place for their loved one is to disclose as much information as you know to the caring facility. When information is left out, it can alter the care plan significantly and affect whether or not a resident is truly suited for a board and care or a dementia/memory skilled unit.

Our mission is to provide housing for our residents in a warm, dignified, and loving environment in addition to assisting the need for social and physical services at all times.?

Features:
?24-Hour care and supervision
Activities of Daily Living Assistance
Medication Assistance
Housekeeping/Laundry
Healthy Meals and Snacks Provided?
Incontinent Care