My Family Residential Care Home - Santa Maria, CA

A Perfect Little Family Home

Mom is 90 and had been living at an assisted living facility - when her needs became more than could be easily managed by them. We found My Family Residential Care Home and moved mom there, after a brief stay in our home.

The director, Annie, is organized and knowledgeable in the management of the home, including all the legal aspects - she has been in this profession for over 20 years. Her staff Purcy and Bless have been with her for a long period of time, and so they are like a family. They are intelligent, personable and caring people, with a sweet sense of humor. The home and grounds are neat, clean and charming.

When we moved mom into the home, they took pains to make sure her room was warm and inviting. Mom's bedroom has plenty of room for her bed, dresser and night stand. A large screen television is mounted on the wall and cable television is provided. There is a large double closet, and a sliding door leading to a lovely patio. Mom's own pictures are hung on the walls, family photos are on her dresser and night stand, and her room has become very much "her." She has a private bathroom with safety bars, a high toilet with arms, and a seat in the shower. She is always accompanied when she uses the bathroom, and there is good storage for mom's personal bathroom items, i.e., perfume, comb and brush, toothbrush, etc.

Mom feels like she has become part of this family! They laugh and share meals together, watch tv, read and have weekly activities, such as walking in the neighborhood, being outdoors on the beautiful patio, doing puzzles, and reading. They have a daily newspaper, which is something my mom really enjoys - she is mentally very alert! At any time of the day, one of the ladies will be found sitting with the residents, sharing stories and engaging them in conversation.

Mom has made friends with the other residents, and the food is excellent - they eat family style around a large dining table. The staff ensures mom eats a reasonable amount, and that she stays hydrated - she always has either fresh water or juice at her side (her eating and fluids had become an issue at the former facility). When I visit, I'm always invited to join them at meals.

Mom's personal grooming is well managed - she has a supervised shower every other day, her hair looks lovely, and her clothes are always clean. When I visited recently, she had even had her nails done!

I am so pleased that we found this care home. My dear mother is happy and I know she is in good hands.

We've Found a Great Place for Mom

My 90 year old mom had lived in an Assisted Living facility for about 18 months - and began to need more assistance than they could reasonably provide.

I used the "A Place for Mom" website and was given several possible alternatives to look at.

We chose My Family Residential Care Home because of the women who run it - they are down to earth, intelligent, caring women who have done this kind of work for over 20 years. The home is clean and cheerful, and my mom felt at home within the first half hour (she had been anxious, not truly understanding what it would be like).

Mom has a single room - we were able to bring her recliner, dresser and nightstand, and use their single bed (mom had a double and it would have been too large for the room). She has an attached private bathroom that's clean and neat and has all the grab-bars and assistive devices needed (tall bathroom seat with handles, comfortable chair in the shower). I visited today (one week since moving in) and her room looks like her: very neat, nicely decorated, everything in its place. Her own pictures are hung, and she has a big screen tv in the corner (provided by them!).

During our visit, mom was enjoying watching a John Wayne movie with the other 2 ladies who live there. The whole house smelled amazing with the food that was being prepared for lunch - I was invited to join them, but have appointments to keep this afternoon - I plan to join them for a meal later this week!

The home has a lovely back yard with several seating areas in the shade or the sun. There's even a small patio off mom's bedroom where we can place her patio furniture.

We're thrilled - mom is settled and comfortable - and we're relieved that she's getting good care!