Landmark @ Charleston House - Beaver Dam, WI

My mom is being treated very well here

Things are going very well here and I’m pleased with the care they’re giving my mom. I’ve been very happy with the care there. The staff seems to be very caring and they talk with her very caringly and clearly so she can hear them. I had a chance to try the food and it was very good, she seems to be eating well, and they have her sit at a table with assistants so they can help her eat. The menu seems to have a good variety and their larger meals seem to be at lunch where they have 2 choices. At dinner they’ll have smaller meals like tacos, or soup, or there are sandwiches you can get if you don’t want a full entrée. I don’t know how often housekeeping comes by but it always looks pretty clean and there aren’t any smells that are overpowering. They do provide a few activities like music once a week where either a single person or a couple of musicians will come in and sing, they do a lot of craft things, they have exercise most mornings during the week, and there are card games as well. My dad was in favor of her being here because she really receives the care that she needs. They even have a respite building available and anytime he comes up to visit her, they’ll let him stay there so he can be near her. It is an extra charge but it includes all meals. Everyone that I’ve talked to has said good things about this place and that’s part of why I decided to give it a try. I would recommend them, my family is happy with the care that she’s receiving.

Wonderful and knowledgeable staff

I initially was looking for a place to take my wife to go because she needed round the clock care and observation. One of the biggest things that I noticed about this place is that the training is so much different here than at a normal nursing home as far as handling the patients goes. One of the biggest things, I’ve learned, for Alzheimer patients is that the idea that they can’t go where they want to or that they have to make a decision right then and there sends them automatically into a bad state of mind. The freedom that they give everyone at the Charleston House allows the patients to feel independent but it’s really the facility controlling the situation without creating a problem and observing their behavior from a distance. Every patient has a buzzer necklace that they can use just in case they need help but are otherwise able to roam free. My wife has her own room and privacy and, upon moving her in, I was able to take all of her things from our home and put them in her room to make it feel like home for her. I was able to completely customize it and it’s very spacious. The facility is kept pretty clean. When I walk in, there aren’t any bad smells that are overwhelming and they help keep my wife very clean. I provide the toiletries, laundry soap, all of the bedding and furniture, and nothing is allowed in the room (furniture-wise) that is not covered for safety. There are 4 different wings to the facility, my wife being in wing 2, and the staff is wonderful about working together. There are typically 3 staff members to each wing per shift with 3 shifts per day. I’ve worked with every shift before and they all are extremely cooperative and very good to work with. My wife sometimes has outbursts and they just do an incredible job at helping her calm down. They have little things they do when they’re working with patients to make sure they keep calm, like offering them their favorite snacks. The staff is always friendly and I’ve never seen them doing anything other than smiling while they’re working. They keep me informed about everything involving her and everyone has a phone to reach the head nurse of that particular shift 24hrs a day. The meals are always hot and I’ve noticed that the staff will come around after every meal and notate how much the patient ate, what they had, and how much of it was left over. The only thing I’ve had to furnish for my wife food-wise is lactose free milk and lactose free ice cream so she can be included with the other residents. They have really good activities here too. My wife loves doing crafts; there’s entertainment, they provide calendars for the month with activities that are going on, there are games, movie nights, sitting areas with large screen TVs, and they’ll play music. They’ll typically do activities in the morning or afternoon because by the time evening comes around most people are already in their rooms. They even had a Grandparents’ day recently where they invited the families of the residents and had all of the kids sit with their grandparents to eat some muffins and ice cream. Something to keep in mind, however, is that this is an Alzheimer’s unit, so some of the residents can come off as scared or standoffish with strangers. I’m honestly impressed with this community. If I could be critical, the only thing I would say is that we have long-term care insurance and it feels like the owner won’t work with our insurance. They want their money upfront and they weren’t very clear about that at the beginning of the process. It can put a bit of strain on the wallet if you aren’t prepared but I’m working around that. Otherwise, I’ve already recommended this place to others.

After a short time...........................

Moved my mom there about three weeks ago. Seems to
be a very nice assisted living community.

We were very impressed on every aspect of this facility. Especially, cleanliness, facility layout, staff and size of rooms. Our tour was given by [Removed] who was very knowledgeable of the facility and what it offered our loved one. We also were impressed with the attention she showed our mom who was touring the facility for our father.

Not what we thought it would be...

There are benefits and concerns my family and I have with this community. The community is very clean and feels very comfortable. The apartments are large, and pleasant. The concerns we have are that, when we toured the community, we were invited to try the meals. The meal we were given consisted of a main course and salad which was nutritious, and now that my loved one has moved in, that has declined significantly. Now my loved one receives things like a piece of fish bread or a hotdog and chips. No fresh fruit or salads. This makes us feel betrayed. We understand that sometimes changes occur, we would still expect it would only take a couple of weeks, Also, during our tour they told us there would be a lot of activities which have not happened yet, my loved one.We have been very patient and reluctant. The community itself is nice.

Superior Staff!!

My father is really enjoying his stay at this community. The staff has been wonderful and helped him so much through the adjustment period, he can't say enough about them. The place is kept spotless at all times. Since he moved in, the community lost their chef so the meals are not as good as they used to be. They also lost their director of activities, but things will hopefully improve soon. They do have a variety of activities at the moment, though, there is something to do every afternoon.

It took my dad about a week to settle in every one has been so helpful and my dad is very happy there. He says the food is great!!

This is a very beautiful and well maintained facility. The staff was so friendly and warm. There is a family atmosphere and it felt like a loving home. I cannot say enough about the staff and the level of care and support here.

Charleston House

We found the staff to be very carrying and professional. The facility is beautiful, clean and easy to maneuver with wheel chairs or walkers.

Charleston House, in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, is located just a few short blocks from Beaver Dam Lake offers 80 one bedroom apartments suitable for one or two people. The community is welcome and all the residents there are proud to call it home. Residents can spend their time visiting with fellow residents in the outdoor courtyard or step inside to listen to music being played on the baby grand piano. The Great Room is a cozy space that's ideal for gatherings and features a mural of Swan City Park, created by one of our local artists named Frank Mittelstadt. Charleston House is known for its memory care facility, called Morningstar, which consists of 40 apartments. The staff for this particular facility is carefully screened, and we only select the most caring and compassionate people who will offer the best possible care for residents suffering from Alzheimer's or dementia. At Charleston house, we treat each resident with respect and dignity in all aspects of their lives while staying with us. We encourage residents to take part in activities that enrich their lives and encourage a sense of purpose and hope. We offer independent living facilities, but also offer assisted living, respite and/or short-term stays, along with the safety and security of the MorningStar program. We also offer daily activities, including exercise classes, social events, and religious services. We also provide residents with three nutritious meals each day. At Charleston House, your loved one will find a place to call home.